GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

they can say chicago is where the boys last played as the reason but it's the 3rd largest city in America and is pretty centrally located. That's as likely the reason. East coasters can get there vs San Fran which would be all cali peeps.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

or MSG which would be all East Coast.  They should be hitting Philadelphia, NYC, Chicago, Denver, Portland, San Fran, LA.  Maybe end with a destination new years event in Mexico.  Do the full fledge cash grab, but also give fans all over the shows they want.  

I can dream.  I was ready to throw everything in my life away for a full on Dead tour with JK at the helm.  I guess I should be thankful that didn't happen.  I got a good thing going.

• Forum MVP

Nope, I won't be there. After checking out many of the post-Jerry iterations (P&P, Dead, Further, Ratdog), I'm done with all of them since I usually walk away disappointed. Present day Lesh and Weir vocals are like nails on a chalk board to me. Easier for me to say no to these shows having seen 35 GD shows back in the day.......I actually walked away in '93 because it was becoming too painful and sad to witness Garcia's slow motion demise.

DSO serves it up unadulterated and fiercely (and affordably), so I will continue to go to the DSO well to get my fix. Already pumped for the Jubilee!

I hope that all who do attend have a grate time.       :580: 

Whoa! I'm mixed on Trey and Phish and would like to see Donna in but I need to go to at least one of these shows, especially considering that I only live 3 hours from Chicago. Biggest show I've been to was 'The Dead' at Alpine or Rosemont. If the stadium thing is too big and chaotic for me, well, at least I gave it a try.

My only condition is GA floor ticket or no go, the rest are too pricey and/or far away from the stage, no point.

Between mail order and net presale, which method is more likely to score me a GA floor? I assume that TOO only dishes out a few thousand tickets per show at most but on the other hand the internet presale could be a server crashing disaster..

• Forum MVP

It says (limited) next to GA tix. Im thinking u won't get all 3 shows on GA mail ordering. Envelope art definitely helps. I had a buddy who consistently got 1st 20 rows by doing envelope art so it does play a factor plus they have an envelope art contest for 2 free tix so those will likely be considered 1st. GA includes tapers so some tix will be allocated to them. Also I bet lots of the pit will be distributed to scalping agencies which will suck. I'm not interested in the215.00 tix and the other option is the section right below nose bleeds on the mail order. The issue is u can't request GA 1st then if they can't fulfill that u get another section. It doesn't work like that. So likely u may get 1-2 days if any on the GA. The other option is if u get lucky and get GA,sell them and use the cash to book dso Jamaica next year as those tix may be 400 bucks a pop on the open market.

I would never sell a ticket for profit, I hate all that shit. I just want one GA floor ticket for one day, will take any day but would prefer Friday or Saturday so I don't have to take off work. I think I'll try TOO and state that floor is more important than the date. I'll pen paisley shapes all over the envelope at work Sunday  :D

I absolutely love DSO shows, more than pretty much everything else in life but I want to check out a crazy mega huge stadium party and I want to see the four together one more time. If I had tons of money I'd go for all three and a hotel room but it's not in the cards. That makes me wonder if the hostels will all be sold out before I even know if I am getting a ticket..

• Forum MVP

Lots of strong mixed feelings on this. For starters, never been to Chicago and would love to check it out. Seeing the boys at Soldier Field could be a holy experience of sorts, even if the music is lacking, they could make me feel home at last. Having Trey in the band isn't doing me any favors though. 51/49 right now in favor of going (probably against my better and rational judgement.) If they we're doing an MSG show or a show at MetLife, I'd be there. Not gonna get into the politics and money aspect of it thought. My decision will be made purely on a music and love basis.

• Forum MVP

The big question is are we going to be able to camp all three nights at Soldier field

That alpine 2002 had everyone leave the lot each night

If we can stay there and not have to all go to hotels ~ it sounds fun, if not, way too much trouble to have to enter and leave the lot each day, seriously, does anyone know if we can spend three days camping at soldier field?

• Forum MVP

If we get tix we are taking the train. U can't park anywhere that's not 40 a day besides the airport. U will cab it everywhere anyway. And not sure why all the Trey hate. He started playing dead tunes. B4 phish that's what he did. Do people think he's going to play like pgish? He's going to practice and play as close to Jerry's style as he can and he's a great guitarist. U are going to see the core 4 play the last time together ever really. Again. With chicago so close to me it's a no Brainer. Fuck the beach.

• Forum MVP

Have you heard Trey play Dead tunes before.  He doesn't sound anything like Jerry.  He needs a new guitar and everything.  His notes are short and piercing.  Doesn't ever lay it on thick.  Don't get me started.  He's not the right guitarist if you're trying to capture the old sound.  Period.  End of discussion.  

I hope everyone going enjoys the ride.  I really did and still am to a certain degree considering it, but I think I have my own dance party to attend.  Sometimes the songs we hear are just songs of our own.

• Forum MVP

Aren't DSO usually in middle America also that time of year? I may try to string a few of those together with the last night at soldier field. That way I'm satisfied musically as well as nostalgia wise. Like St. Louis and Kansas city or Milwaukee?

• Forum MVP

Trey is everything Jerry was not...thank god!!! The. Jerry pick has me stunned. What a turn off to GD lovers everywhere!! I have been to several phish shows...and they are stupid, and so are the frat boy fans!!

Think 93...I saw them up in vermont...dead was playing high gate.....bailed all my friends and hitched from Sugarbush phish...up north to see Jerry.....

Trey is talented in a can't stand this music type of way. His selection means phil and Bob still grinding away at Jerry's lyrics.

They been doing this for a long time...why can't they see...does it take a blind man to show them:(

Good luck to them and any of you that spend ur hard earned money to be dissapointed. For me....like paying 1000.00 bucks for a 10 dollar hooker. DSO is a vegas high ass for happy hour price!!!

At the ocean front and just saw some 10 dollars.. it's why the morning analogy!!

• Forum MVP

I'm sure Trey will mod his style to fit the sound. That said, why would you want to pick someone that would have to venture out of his wheelhouse to make it work right? One X factor is Treys overall talent. If he works at it, I'll bet he could open some eyes. No guarantee tho - if he tries to wing it with his current style, I'm not sure it's gonna mesh.

X factor 2 is Bobby. I'm hoping he keeps it together so he can be fresh for this. Trey is a bit too fast for this and Bobby is a bit slower - not tryin to hate here but his tempo is on the slow-side.

Teacher brings it together tho: 6 months of practice is the homage that needs to be paid to this music, and the legacy of the band.

The buildup is going to be fun :)

• Forum MVP

Phish is currently working on a new album. I wouldn't expect much rehearsal. I definitely wouldn't expect much rehearsal as a group. Don't expect trey to have new axe built and change his tone and the thickness of his notes. Play one way for 40 years and try to change that in 6 months.

• Forum MVP

As they said on dead.net, the GD has always been about musical exploration. I don't believe this one will be any different. It will be exciting to see what comes out of it. From the cartoon artwork, evidently the umbrella, the thrust will be in the vein of Jerry. I guess Pigpen, Keith and Brent didn't make it to the rainbow's edge? Pretty momentous in all aspects. I love this music and that is all that really matters to me, anyway. What a scene it will be to behold, for good or bad. If you believe in that. There really is neither, just the moment. The moment isn't your enemy.

Some cat posted on dead.net that Mickey wasn't a part of the original GD since he joined in 1967. What a load of it! Really?

Who knows who might show up and jam!?

The unfolding is the wonderful part.

My prediction- Phil and Bob will have Trey play what they want him to play making sure not to take the spotlight off them. Anybody planning on going because they didn't get to see the GD and want to experience a 60,00 dead crowd what you will get is the ugliest scene in GD history. Have fun ! I could be wrong but highly doubt it.

Archived