GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Congrats Rude....

As said above...I did feel like I was at a Dead 3 Day run(with JK abd DSO add ons!!)

Not just about the shows.. which did exceed expectations. I also rashly denigrated Trey pick and like you recant.

Today I proudly adorn my DSO shirt...Analogous to JGB in mid 70's...why would I not want to see my favorite music played at the highest levels for in the most part $25 and tiny venues where I can dance freely.

BTW Mason's advice about it will happen was so spot on and I sold my extras for 300 each at my hotel to people like me who could afford it and to them it was a miracle.

Again I am so glad for you Rude...

There is Nothing Like a Grateful Dead Concert

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it hard to believe the song when you are singing the lyrics off a page. How can it be passionate ? I like it when people do their HW. Call me old fashioned.

I don't believe that reading the lyrics necessarily makes it less passionate.  It's just an aid for a live show.  After all,  Phil and Bobby do it off of the electronic teleprompter mounted on their microphone stands.  Even Jerry did this during the later years, which saved some shows from being complete trainwrecks.   It's just incredibly difficult to remember all those lyrics, even if you've been singing them for years.  Before their introduction, there were many flubbed lyrics--expecially by Bobby.

• Forum MVP

I assume your talking about Trey. haha. I thought both Bruce and trey failed to deliver on the emotional vocals required on certain jerry songs. Overall, i found Bruce's vocals to be the strongest of anyone on stage although he was turned down in the mix. im going to wait to review the show in hopes that people don't feel I took a negative experience from the one liners I put out. My experience here exceeded 09 with Warren.

• Forum MVP

everyone fails to deliver the emotion on Jerry songs ... I think maybe JK or Stu can capture some of that emotion  and Jeff gives it the old college try , but that's it  ... it is what it is ... Jerry had a way with singing his songs  and playing that guitar and that's what brought us all back time after time ...

• Forum MVP

I worry about having my words twisted. I probably shouldn't even put my honest feelings up. Words get distorted and miss the meaning. Trey was woefully inadequate at delivering on jerry ballads. No one is Jerry and no one measures up but others are way closer. They have an ability to draw you in on the ballads far superior to trey. With JK or Stu on stage, I never think why don't we just let phil or bobby sing this one. Trey did. He not even on butchy out of splintered in Philly level on this. Go ahead and twist my words.

• Forum MVP

calm down Rick ;)  you are loved !!! even you guys that were born too late and only  get to see Jerry perform in audio and video recordings  can feel and see the emotion Jerry brought to the music he played and because of that , you know what your hearing when someone else performs those tunes ... your searching for Jerry just like me ... sometimes we find him , lots of times we don't , some make us happy enough to come back again ...

• Forum MVP

I'm perfectly calm. Actually riding a wave of serenity following the serene experience of taking it in. Just sharing honest feelings on the show. I've been hesitant to share feelings since the throw away fiasco. Some how throwaway, a term I got from older heads some how meant the song sucks, it has no merit, and should never be played. When I more meant, I could take it or leave it but certainly enjoy dancing to it.

I don't need to calm down. Maybe sack up. I'm discovering myself to be incredibly sensitive especially about being misunderstood or misrepresented. I'm trying desperately to choose words that convey my meaning without offending anyone. Trey didn't offend me. I'd go see these guys again. I'm just not going to draw rainbows over every thing I heard even if my heart felt butterflies and my eyes saw rainbows all night long.

I do not want to underestimate the power of the experience they just gave me. Wow. So special. I hope they expose themselves as marketing frauds and we do this dance around the sun in the eyes of the moon again.

• Forum MVP

I love ya Rick ... I hope they decide to make some more cash and add some shows that I can attend ... nothings perfect , especially after Jerry , wasn't perfect during Jerry sometimes but it was still fucking damn good ... they gave me good feelings over the weekend just on the streams ,,, and I'd like to take a spin on the dance floor in front of them also ... time will tell :)

• Forum MVP

I assume your talking about Trey. haha. I thought both Bruce and trey failed to deliver on the emotional vocals required on certain jerry songs. Overall, i found Bruce's vocals to be the strongest of anyone on stage although he was turned down in the mix. im going to wait to review the show in hopes that people don't feel I took a negative experience from the one liners I put out. My experience here exceeded 09 with Warren.

Honestly, it was Bruce. I was annoyed by his lack of authenticity at times. I felt like he went through the motions singing at times. He put up some great jams !! I never expected much from Trey vocally. I liked Alabama Getaway. He sings like he is talking. Almost Bob Dylanish at times. Some good guitar on the improv portions. He had to hang back to watch for where the music was going initially at times on songs but better caution than to slaughter it. Bob was a good maestro.

• Forum MVP

... your searching for Jerry just like me ... sometimes we find him , lots of times we don't

The only place I find Jerry is on my Rhino CDs, my DAT masters, and my hard drive.

At the end of the webcast last night they played the In The Dark studio version of Black Muddy River along with a beautiful slide show of the Chicago festivities.  That was a surprizing yet wonderful place to find Jerry.  Never thought I'd feel so much emotional power listening to In The Dark!

• Forum MVP

My coverage of the weekend run consisted of catching high volume snippets in the car on XM radio. I've got a slamming system in the car, so I was able to get a good feel for the tenor of the shows.

It confirmed what I suspected......that I'm glad I didn't invest the time, energy and money to go to Chicago. I'm sure I will end up catching it on DVD or PALHD at some point.....I will watch it because I'm curious.

It sounds like those who did attend the shows had an overall positive experience........that's so very cool !!

As for me, I'll continue to get my fix with DSO, Dave's Picks releases, and the awesome memories of the 35 GD shows I caught with Jerry.

• Forum MVP

That was intense and emotional ... but I thought it to be a  live recording of Jerry's last song sung in 95 at soldier field ???

Pretty sure it was the studio version, although playing the final Soldiers recording would have made plenty of sense.

• Forum MVP

ok. Easy Jim does. Jerry sang his story and I think it helped it paralleled his own. I made the reference implying he should be able to relate to easy jim's story. Im not saying he can't feel though and I think he does relate to the story. he's just not an emotive vocalist in my opinion. Phish lacks the depth of emotional sincerity for me and his performance of standing on the moon did too.

• 3 weeks later...

I attended both of the Santa Clara shows. I'll start by saying my first GD show was Englishtown. I have been to about fifty shows total plus a dozen or more JGB shows. The vibe in Santa Clara was amazing. I was fortunate to be in the pit for both shows. Right up front. Everyone was having a great time and really getting off on the pre concert music. You could feel something special was going to happen. Yes, Trey flubbed some intros. Bobby and Phil just laughed it off, I could clearly see their faces. Rainbow was special. The vibe was so cool, security was hands off and let everyone enjoy themselves. I met so many cool Deadheads from all over the country and a couple who came in from Norway. I was offered tickets and accomidations for Chicago (the guy from Norwat was good friends with John Barlow) and invited me to a box at Sodier Field. Keep John Barlow in your prayers as he is still very ill after suffering a heart attack. Anyway, these shows were beyond what I ever expected. Epic show on 06/27 and even better on 06/28. Jerry is dead, it's about the music and the vibe now. Be kind and just hope for an East coast tour. Peace!

Archived