http://www.mlb.com/concert/dead50/

Pay-Per View Exclusive: Get ALL 5 Nights for $79.95*
SAVE $50 NOW! *EXPIRES MAY 15TH, 2015

June 27th Santa Clara, CA $19.95
June 28th Santa Clara, CA $19.95
July 3rd Chicago, IL $29.95
July 4th Chicago, IL $29.95
July 5th Chicago, IL $29.95

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Grateful Dead with the four remaining original members - Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir as they reunite for their "Final 5" Concerts ever.

Live Alliance, Peter Shapiro and Madison House are thrilled to bring Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead to you live for an unprecedented LIVE five-night digital event starting June 27th and 28th LIVE from Levi Stadium in Santa Clara,CA, and then culminating with the final 3 shows July 3, 4, and 5 LIVE from Soldier Field in Chicago. The four original members will be joined by renowned musicians Trey Anastasio (Phish and the Trey Anastasio Band), Jeff Chimenti (RatDog, The Dead and Furthur), and multiple GRAMMY®-winner Bruce Hornsby.

Each concert will be uniquely different that you won't want to miss, with the July 5th concert event being the last time the band will play together.

-----

Anyone know if this is just audio?  At this price I'm assuming some tight video.  Weird this this is being co-branded through the MLB network.  I'm sure there is a reason and positive it has everything to do with $$$$.

http://www.mlb.com/concert/dead50/

Pay-Per View Exclusive: Get ALL 5 Nights for $79.95*

SAVE $50 NOW! *EXPIRES MAY 15TH, 2015

June 27th Santa Clara, CA $19.95

June 28th Santa Clara, CA $19.95

July 3rd Chicago, IL $29.95

July 4th Chicago, IL $29.95

July 5th Chicago, IL $29.95

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Grateful Dead with the four remaining original members - Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir as they reunite for their "Final 5" Concerts ever.

Live Alliance, Peter Shapiro and Madison House are thrilled to bring Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead to you live for an unprecedented LIVE five-night digital event starting June 27th and 28th LIVE from Levi Stadium in Santa Clara,CA, and then culminating with the final 3 shows July 3, 4, and 5 LIVE from Soldier Field in Chicago. The four original members will be joined by renowned musicians Trey Anastasio (Phish and the Trey Anastasio Band), Jeff Chimenti (RatDog, The Dead and Furthur), and multiple GRAMMY®-winner Bruce Hornsby.

Each concert will be uniquely different that you won't want to miss, with the July 5th concert event being the last time the band will play together.

-----

Anyone know if this is just audio?  At this price I'm assuming some tight video.  Weird this this is being co-branded through the MLB network.  I'm sure there is a reason and positive it has everything to do with $$$$.

I scoured the website for this offer, and discovered that these 5 shows will be available for streaming only. Knew it was too good to be true, as I have no intention of watching them on my puny laptop, and would only be willing to pay to see these shows if I could watch them on my big TV, with surround sound. An email response I received from Live Alliance on Monday advised me that most cable tv companies will also be carrying at least the final 3 shows at Soldier Field, but they did not give any more specifics. A call to my local cable company was fruitless, as the friendly customer service lady tried in vain to find any info on these shows for pay-per-view, but she said that, since the streaming offer was so new, to try again in a week, or so, to inquire if they will be hosting these shows. I am not holding my breath.

• Forum MVP

Just run an hdmi cord from laptop to tv or get an Apple TV or the cheap 30 buck one at bestbuy. If you aren't already streaming through your tv, it's time to do so :).

• Forum MVP

Yep - HDMI cord from computer to the TV, at about $5 from monoprice, will do the trick.  Although some computer digital outputs may require an adapter of sorts to get to the HDMI on the TV.  

Don't neglect the computer audio output though, if you're hooking it into a stereo of any reasonable fidelity.  An AudioQuest Dragonfly USB D/A convertor for example, at $150, will make a bigger difference than you could imagine vs. the standard analog mini jack stereo output of a computer.  To put it in perspective, Apple spends less than $2 parts cost on their D/A audio chip in a Mac. 

I personally cant wait for these shows to be over so we can get back to enjoying the dead as they were and DSO as they are. The feeling is totally alive and I am feeling it every day (I am a 27 year old who never got to see Jerry, unfortunately). I can't help my age, but the dead, and for that matter DSO, is my main focus in my musical life. I have seen most reincarnations of dead which i am grateful for! (pardon the pun). I'll save a grand or so and see you all at the jubilee. I really don't know where id be without DSO to keep it fresh and alive for me, it has brought me though many a hard time. I don't know how "real" deadheads look at the record of starheads, nor do i really care, but this jubilee will mark my 32nd dark star show and for that I am grateful. I feel that Jerry, Pigpen, Brent, Keith, and Vince look down and smile every time I groove to DSO because it keeps it alive in my soul. Sorry to rant, just on my mind tonight. I hope all have a wonderful time at the anniversary! If i could afford it id be there too, but meeting you all at the jubilee (as well as the midwest tour stops) is what I need to stay alive! 

• Forum MVP

I use my airplay(phone) through Apple TV and it hooks directly into my Denon 2312. All my hdmi hook directly to my receiver 1st then out to my tv. Using computer hdmi output means that the sound goes through my computer eq which affects the sound. With airplay the sound is fantastic on streaming.

• Forum MVP

I have some lower end B&W front(still amazing) and 2 subs with some polk bookshelves for surround. The Polk are average but they just provide the surround. I want to run a 2nd pair of the same front speakers but that will have to wait for now as those puppies aren't cheap. I'd need some bigoted gofundme page to pull the high end B&W. Maybe I can say my religion forbids me from serving the tea party. It may only work with pizza joints though.

• Forum MVP

rude,  I would spend the money upgrading the front speakers before worrying about the rears. 

Funny story about B&Ws - many years ago in the early 90s a friend was looking at buying some B&W speakers and we went in for an audition. He was ready to spend a bunch of money, up to the cost of the Matrix 802s, but wanted to listen to a pair a bit down the line to see if they would do the trick.  I think we started with the 805s.  The higher end models used the kelvar drivers for the midrange, and the woofers had conventional cone material.  But the 805s used the kevlar for the low frequencies as well.  We brought in something with extreme Phil loads, I think Cal Expo '90 with front of board spaced omnis.  Cued up the cut with the bombs.  First huge bomb, and the kevlar literally threw sparks of light into the room!  (And, of course, distorted in the process.)  The sales guy had left us alone in the room, and I dove across the floor to get at the volume knob as I knew more loads were coming.  Amazingly, the speakers were fine still at lower levels so I don't think there was any permanent damage.  Needless to say, my buddy had to step up to the 802s.

• Forum MVP

BTW, the best speakers I've found for the Grateful Dead, dollar for dollar, are the NHT 3.3.  They were made from 1993 though about 2000.  They are essentially a small mini monitor with a subwoofer in the same box, thereby allowing seamless integration.  The play as loud as your ears can withstand, are incredibly 3 dimentional, have great low level resolution, and are flat to almost 20hz.  The only caveat is you need to place them very close to the rear wall, at which point the long thin side wall of the speaker allowing the woofer to "see" a room corner.  So you now have a pair of stereo subwoofers in the corner of the room and a pair of thin baffled mini monitors, toed in, 3 feet out into the room - all in the same box.  They really are amazing and unique.  Heavy though!

model3-3.JPG

• Forum MVP

I have the CM4. 6.5" Kevlar mids with regular subs. They don't have the bass but the highs and mids are pristine. A good sub was needed. I'd love the 802's but don't have 10k to spend on a pair of speakers atm lol. Plus for the 24x18 room I use them in, they could be a tad overkill. I had a 1500.00 speaker budget and the cm4's were my choice at that price.

• Forum MVP

Not even sure what language you guys are speaking .....

I say, a very good and interesting discussion and would like to hear more.

A great discussion indeed and I'm sure very useful to many who are more plugged in than some of us...I'm just acknowledging my ineptness when it comes to any computer tech. Please carry on

• Forum MVP

I recently picked up a Pioneer sx-770 receiver. thing looks and sounds beautiful. soon after that I picked up a pair of Ohm C2 speakers. three way speaker system with one tweeter, one super dome tweeter and a subwoofer in each cabinet. the foam surrounds had rotted away so I had to replace those and the gaskets. was my first foray into speaker repair but was unbelievably simple. nothing electrical involved either, which helped. the speakers sound great. but I pretty much exclusively listen to vinyl on them so I'm not sure how far that reaches to this demographic. but I do have plenty of live dead recordings on vinyl (from the vault, dicks picks, without a net, spring 90, both Europe 72s, sunshine daydream, winterland 71, etc.) and they do sound pretty gosh darn good. studio stuff definitely sounds better to my ears, really all depends though.

just found out my neighbor has a pair of paradigm monitor towers. am thinking of picking those up off of him.

• Forum MVP

Speakers are the key. Someone told me if you have 2k to spend on a system, get a 300 buck receiver and 1700 speakers. He expanded If you have 5k get 4700.00 speakers lol.

• Forum MVP

Beware of shattering any preconceived budget, but audiogon where to shop.  The ebay for audiophiles.  Since audiophiles are such an unstable bunch, folks can't wean themselves from the upgrade merry-go-round. I've had remarkably good luck with about a dozen trandactions here, both buying and selling:

http://www.audiogon.com

To rude's point, yes speakers are the key (well, not $4,700 out of 5 grand worth of key, but point taken).  But that said, I've had my NHT 3.3s for 18 years, and all improvements I've made upstream of them over the years have been various degrees of wow.  When you start upgrading your AC cables you know you've gone over the edge! :unsure:

Archived