GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

I recently picked up a Pioneer sx-770 receiver. thing looks and sounds beautiful. soon after that I picked up a pair of Ohm C2 speakers. three way speaker system with one tweeter, one super dome tweeter and a subwoofer in each cabinet. the foam surrounds had rotted away so I had to replace those and the gaskets. was my first foray into speaker repair but was unbelievably simple. nothing electrical involved either, which helped. the speakers sound great. but I pretty much exclusively listen to vinyl on them so I'm not sure how far that reaches to this demographic. but I do have plenty of live dead recordings on vinyl (from the vault, dicks picks, without a net, spring 90, both Europe 72s, sunshine daydream, winterland 71, etc.) and they do sound pretty gosh darn good. studio stuff definitely sounds better to my ears, really all depends though.

just found out my neighbor has a pair of paradigm monitor towers. am thinking of picking those up off of him.

Ohm speakers......nice.....I had a couple of pairs of those back in the 80's......great speakers!!

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

What do the Dead mean to you?

"For me, everything that I believe. It’s a dream that has a teacher that develops into a team which leads to a culture which builds a foundation. I go for fun. But I also go to be healed, to think, to dream, to be inspired, and to see all my friends and family."

• Forum MVP

They're gonna simulcast it free in cincy on July 4th in a city park, all day celebration leading up to the 8-11 broadcast, with fireworks and....free

Cool. Backup plan in case I don't win the lottery or fall ass backwards into some tickets between now and then. Hopefully parks everywhere will follow suit so people can enjoy in large groups everywhere vs huddled around laptops.

• Forum MVP

It is not in a park and it is not free, but at our own Las Vegas Brooklyn Bowl:

FARE THEE WELL: CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF GRATEFUL DEAD SIMULCAST

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Grateful Dead with the four remaining original members - Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann, Phil Lesh, and Bob Weir as they reunite for their final five concerts ever.

Live Alliance, Peter Shapiro and Madison House are thrilled to bring Fare Thee Well: Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead to you live for an unprecedented 5-night digital event starting June 27 and 28 from Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California, and culminating with the final 3 shows on July 3, 4, and 5 from Soldier Field in Chicago, Illinois. The four original members will be joined by renowned musicians Trey Anastasio (Phish and the Trey Anastasio Band), Jeff Chimenti (RatDog, The Dead and Furthur), and multiple GRAMMY®-winner Bruce Hornsby.

• Forum MVP

The tickets are absolutely beautiful. I wish I could figure out how to upload pic from iPhone. My pos Samsung 2.0 was a breeze, despite all the ridicule from it received. I tried to copy and paste. No upload options. Oy vey.

• Forum MVP

Here is Shappy's latest regarding the GDTSOO debacle

Dear Mail Order Ticket Purchasers,

It’s hard to believe that it’s already June. Soon we will be together in Santa Clara and Chicago celebrating 50 years of the music of the Grateful Dead. We think you know by now that we are fans too, and your experience at the event is important to us, so before we get there, we want to address an issue that has affected a number of you who ordered your tickets through GDTS TOO mail order.

We decided early on – even though it would have been easier for us to follow the well-trodden path of nearly every promoter in the past 20 years and sell 100% of the "Fare Thee Well" tickets online – that we wanted to honor the Grateful Dead spirit and make a portion of the tickets available through GDTS TOO mail order.

When it became clear the extent to which Dead50 was resonating with people and how many of you wanted to be part of it (over half a million mail order ticket requests), we added capacity by changing the reserved floor sections to GA and opening up the sections behind the stage – quadrupling the initial mail order allotment.

Since the mail order process began in January, by the time we were able to make these ticket allotment changes and update our seating chart, the ticket requests and money orders had already been sent in. Despite the extra work opening up the floor and adding more mail order tickets made for us and the GDTS TOO crew, we still felt this was the best way to get more core Grateful Dead fans into the shows, so we set out to make our new seating configuration work within the confines of the January mail order ticket request submission rules.

It was not feasible for the GDTS TOO crew to reach out to everyone who had sent in money orders for $199.50 or other priced tickets to discuss preferred alternatives to reserved floor seats or other selected seats that were no longer available, nor were partial refunds a practical option. Also, GDTS TOO did not think it was right to force fans who had ordered reserved floor seats to take general admission standing room tickets instead — anyone who had ever been to a Grateful Dead show would be at least 20 years older now and had probably ordered reserved seats for a good reason. Nor was it possible to fit everyone who had ordered reserved floor seats into the existing allotment of $199.50 seats; there simply were not enough available.

At that point, we could have easily decided that these orders simply couldn’t be fulfilled and returned the uncashed money orders without tickets. Instead, in the spirit of trying to accommodate as many fans as possible, we decided to allocate those reserved floor and other specific requests to other available seats using the same price points. We know how disappointing mail order rejection letters are, especially since these are the band's final shows, so we sought to figure out a way to get as many of you as possible an envelope with tickets in it.

REFUND INFORMATION

If you received tickets by mail order for seats in a different section than what you ordered on your envelope or were charged more than the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time your order was mailed, and you no longer wish to attend "Fare Thee Well," you may return your tickets to GDTS TOO for a full refund. Tickets must be received in the GDTS TOO office by Monday, June 22nd to be eligible. See gdtstoo.com for more information on how to obtain a full refund.

If you received tickets by mail order and were charged more than the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time their orders were mailed and still wish to attend "Fare Thee Well," we personally encourage you to attend the shows and sit in the seats you received via mail order. If you're not satisfied that you got your money's worth, we will refund the difference between what you paid and the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time your order was mailed. Save your ticket stubs, and in the week following the shows, check the FAQ section of dead50.net for information on how to obtain a partial refund. However, all requests for partial refunds must be received by Monday, July 20th to be eligible (you will receive your ticket stubs back with your refund).

These refund offers apply to all GDTS TOO mail order ticket purchasers who received seats in a different section than what was shown in the initial seating chart or were charged more than the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time their orders were mailed.

Please understand that we did what we did in order to enable as many of you as possible to have your ticket requests fulfilled. Given the lighting, sound and video elements we have created specifically for these shows, we are confident that all mail order ticket holders will enjoy an amazing experience.

Statements just seem vain at last,

Peter Shapiro
Mike Luba & Don Sullivan (Madison House Presents)
Promoters, "Fare Thee Well"

Hey Pete:  Your Terrapin lyric invocation doesn't make this sh*tshow any easier for fans to digest.  Apologies work much better in this world than rationalizations.  Look into it. 

Oh...and by the way...Maybe you should spend your energy making sure that the Santa Clara folks get their tickets for shows that are now just 2 weeks away.

• Forum MVP

Honestly I get being upset but if u aren't happy just sell your tix for 2-3x what u paid. U are lucky fuckers for getting tix at all. Come to think about it, if u are bitching about it, you suck. 90% got squat.

• Forum MVP

I agree that a refund should be given but people shouldnt bitch that they got tickets that arent where they had hoped they would be considering the 500k requests.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s hard to believe that it’s already June. Soon we will be together in Santa Clara and Chicago celebrating 50 years of the music of the Grateful Dead. We think you know by now that we are fans too, and your experience at the event is important to us, so before we get there, we want to address an issue that has affected a number of you who ordered your tickets through GDTS TOO mail order.

We decided early on – even though it would have been easier for us to follow the well-trodden path of nearly every promoter in the past 20 years and sell 100% of the "Fare Thee Well" tickets online – that we wanted to honor the Grateful Dead spirit and make a portion of the tickets available through GDTS TOO mail order.

When it became clear the extent to which Dead50 was resonating with people and how many of you wanted to be part of it (over half a million mail order ticket requests), we added capacity by changing the reserved floor sections to GA and opening up the sections behind the stage – quadrupling the initial mail order allotment.

Since the mail order process began in January, by the time we were able to make these ticket allotment changes and update our seating chart, the ticket requests and money orders had already been sent in. Despite the extra work opening up the floor and adding more mail order tickets made for us and the GDTS TOO crew, we still felt this was the best way to get more core Grateful Dead fans into the shows, so we set out to make our new seating configuration work within the confines of the January mail order ticket request submission rules.

It was not feasible for the GDTS TOO crew to reach out to everyone who had sent in money orders for $199.50 or other priced tickets to discuss preferred alternatives to reserved floor seats or other selected seats that were no longer available, nor were partial refunds a practical option. Also, GDTS TOO did not think it was right to force fans who had ordered reserved floor seats to take general admission standing room tickets instead — anyone who had ever been to a Grateful Dead show would be at least 20 years older now and had probably ordered reserved seats for a good reason. Nor was it possible to fit everyone who had ordered reserved floor seats into the existing allotment of $199.50 seats; there simply were not enough available.

At that point, we could have easily decided that these orders simply couldn’t be fulfilled and returned the uncashed money orders without tickets. Instead, in the spirit of trying to accommodate as many fans as possible, we decided to allocate those reserved floor and other specific requests to other available seats using the same price points. We know how disappointing mail order rejection letters are, especially since these are the band's final shows, so we sought to figure out a way to get as many of you as possible an envelope with tickets in it.

REFUND INFORMATION

If you received tickets by mail order for seats in a different section than what you ordered on your envelope or were charged more than the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time your order was mailed, and you no longer wish to attend "Fare Thee Well," you may return your tickets to GDTS TOO for a full refund. Tickets must be received in the GDTS TOO office by Monday, June 22nd to be eligible. See gdtstoo.com for more information on how to obtain a full refund.

If you received tickets by mail order and were charged more than the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time their orders were mailed and still wish to attend "Fare Thee Well," we personally encourage you to attend the shows and sit in the seats you received via mail order. If you're not satisfied that you got your money's worth, we will refund the difference between what you paid and the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time your order was mailed. Save your ticket stubs, and in the week following the shows, check the FAQ section of dead50.net for information on how to obtain a partial refund. However, all requests for partial refunds must be received by Monday, July 20th to be eligible (you will receive your ticket stubs back with your refund).

These refund offers apply to all GDTS TOO mail order ticket purchasers who received seats in a different section than what was shown in the initial seating chart or were charged more than the price of such tickets on the seating chart made available at the time their orders were mailed.

Please understand that we did what we did in order to enable as many of you as possible to have your ticket requests fulfilled. Given the lighting, sound and video elements we have created specifically for these shows, we are confident that all mail order ticket holders will enjoy an amazing experience.

Peter Shapiro

Hey Pete:  Your Terrapin lyric invocation doesn't make this sh*tshow any easier for fans to digest.  Apologies work much better in this world than rationalizations.  Look into it. 

Oh...and by the way...Maybe you should spend your energy making sure that the Santa Clara folks get their tickets for shows that are now just 2 weeks away.

There's a lot of fertilizer sprinkled in here, but at least I know I didn't get shut out because I didn't decorate my envelope (25 years of mail order, never decorated and always scored tickets). I fall into the $199.00 category described above. I understand his logic behind the decision to eliminate reserved in order to allow "more core Grateful Dead fans into the shows" but consider the premise to be corporate bullshit. The repeated message in many forums from many people from the Dead camp was that they had no idea it would be this popular. The original seating chart was removed a day or two after the announcement was made and before anybody put anything in the mail. In the age of social media and data mining, tell me Shapiro wasn't closely monitoring the situation and saw an opportunity to get more"core Grateful Dead fans into the shows" by screwing the core fans who took the original bait. Shapiro, cut the bullshit and go fuck yourself.

REFUND INFORMATION

Peter Shapiro

There's a lot of fertilizer sprinkled in here, but at least I know I didn't get shut out because I didn't decorate my envelope (25 years of mail order, never decorated and always scored tickets). I fall into the $199.00 category described above. I understand his logic behind the decision to eliminate reserved in order to allow "more core Grateful Dead fans into the shows" but consider the premise to be corporate bullshit. The repeated message in many forums from many people from the Dead camp was that they had no idea it would be this popular. The original seating chart was removed a day or two after the announcement was made and before anybody put anything in the mail. In the age of social media and data mining, tell me Shapiro wasn't closely monitoring the situation and saw an opportunity to get more"core Grateful Dead fans into the shows" by screwing the core fans who took the original bait. Shapiro, cut the bullshit and go fuck yourself.

I just can't let it go.... "Despite the extra work opening up the floor and adding more mail order tickets made for us and the GDTS TOO crew..."

Is he seriously asking for a pat on the back? Why not just honor the original agreement (I did), instead of re-writing the rules in order to get more core (read: paying customer), Phish fans (no offense, Phish rocks I've seen 'em a bunch of times), into the show. If there is one thing in business I can't abide is being ruthless but not having the stones to own up to it.

• Forum MVP

Listening to the Tales from Golden Road, there is evidently going to be a kick ass display that has been put in the Field Museum by a guy named Merriweather and GDTSToo and those others collaborating. Memorabilia from the band, PR, and fans. Pictorial hx too. There will be three jazz bands playing their style and interpretation of the same show.

Sounds like a fun must see !!

• Forum MVP

Listening to the Tales from Golden Road, there is evidently going to be a kick ass display that has been put in the Field Museum by a guy named Merriweather and GDTSToo and those others collaborating. Memorabilia from the band, PR, and fans. Pictorial hx too. There will be three jazz bands playing their style and interpretation of the same show.

Sounds like a fun must see !!

I actually grew up with Nic Merriweather in SC. He got a doctorate in library science and proceded to beat out hundreds of other applicants to become the head archivist for the GD in Santa Cruz.

Pretty cool gig I would imagine.......

• Forum MVP

Not even going to wait to see the quality of the show or if the gigs are worth listening to.  I think I'll end up making this sucker buy but man, I think I would have preferred a post show release announcement.  The Cash 4.

• Forum MVP

I've decided I AM going to try to see the dead July 4th. If anyone hears of anyone selling tix(any section) for a decent price in interested!!!! I don't want to spend more than 300 bucks for a pair unless good seats. I may have to wait until the show is underway for that but if anyone hears anything I'd greatly appreciate it. I can drive to meet you any day up there. Thanks in advance!!!

Archived