GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Im planning on requesting only 2 per show. 2 days of GA and 1 of floor reserved to maybe increase my chance of getting tix. That (limited) after GA scares me. I'm thinking that they won't release more than maybe 100 through GDSTOO. And will probably as a backup do a 2nd order with the 79.00 level for all 3 nights. Found out we have a free place to stay 8 miles from soldier field so that opens more options. I'm just hoping that we know if we get tix b4 the pre-sale goes up. like hitler said. It's gonna be christmas for scalpers so if I don't get mail order I won't be attending. I'll see dso in San fran b4 I spend 400 a tic to see the dead.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its easy > they HAD to play a big place to allow for the fans involvement, a place easily reached..... many of the young fans enjoy trey and some of the old...... with trey, they sell out guaranteed and make BIG money because they can.....didnt matter who they chose because there is always a group who wont like it....trey = $$$ == happy core four

stop over thinking it........my ticket will also be available....

• Forum MVP

That's so true. If they chose Jeff people would say he imitates Jerry. People will always bash. That's why the Internet was formed--for people to bash others anonymously. In a parallel universe, Jerry was a health nut and they are doing a 60-show tour right now and they don't have those issues.

• Forum MVP

That's so true. If they chose Jeff people would say he imitates Jerry. People will always bash. That's why the Internet was formed--for people to bash others anonymously. In a parallel universe, Jerry was a health nut and they are doing a 60-show tour right now and they don't have those issues.

I believe Jerry would have preferred an orthogonal universe.

• Forum MVP

Update: they have addressed the issue of secondary tickets in case you can't get the level you prefer. U include 3 money orders for each show. 1 for cheap seats. A 2nd to cover the additional for GA abd a 3rd for the additional needed to get reserved. And they said they plan to notify people b4 the pre-sale if they get tix or not.

• Forum MVP

I ttold the boys about the show, and mentioned that they may want to spend 4th of July with their mom for a change this year so I could go to Chicago for the 3 shows. I was met with a look that made me fear for my safety. So it looks like I'm trying for 3 tickets to 1 show vs 1 ticket for 3 shows. I told them even sending all the stuff in the way they said to we were not guaranteed tix. So I'm going to try for the tickets I want to the show I want. No backup plan. And if it's meant to be it will be. Even decorated my envelope and believe me I'm no artist. Looks like a 1st grader did it. If I get my order filled I may try for a 2nd show or take in a Cubs game.

I'm still bent out of shape for choosing to go to Coventry over Statebridge 10 yrs ago. I know... It's a personal issue. I'm not overly concerned about the price of this 50th thing. Life is expensive. I keep telling my wife we can do Paso Robles>Ojai on spring tour the CORRECT way for the same price as heading to Chitown for the 50th.

I'm hoping she's listening...

• Forum MVP

There are so many articles about chicago post offices being overrun by ticket orders. Also the envelope art is insane. Check #Dead50 for some of the best envelopes I've ever seen. Ours was on par with Ratdog show envelopes lol. The ones I saw for this show are like art show pieces. I predict there will be an article saying they had requests for 40k tix per day and only had 4k to distribute. The scalpers all have contracts with ticketmaster so getting tix looks like a pipe dream. There are already companies out there who will procure you GA tix for 700 each. Phuck that. And all the Phucking phish fans hopping on the bandwagon. I read some comment where some dude said I hope they play a few Phish songs. Grrrrrrr. My hopes and dreams are being trampled. I feel like doing a Charlie Kelly and going america all over people's ass.

Fuck scalpers and fuck Ticketmaster. That whole thing needs to be destroyed. I'd like to learn the full extent of the evil.

The art is insane and beautiful no doubt. I'm not surprised to hear about crazy amounts of mail orders although it does kill the buzz I've had all day. The clerk that printed up my mail order here in Madison said tons of people were coming in. He also told me he saw them in '77 for $5 which was a nice little story to hear. If they only honor decorated envelopes I might have a chance for my 1 GA floor ticket but if they only send tickets to the best ones I'm doomed. Sounds like it's a lottery and I think the energy at these shows is going to be off the charts for better and/or for worse.

• Forum MVP

Rude,

If dso was in your backyard for the 4th, would you go see the dead at soldier field anyway?

Sorry I know that the non trey supporters are supposed to back off this thread. I've never been good at the let the words be yours I am done with mine. Words are just words. Notes are just notes. Tone is simply tone. This act won't sound like the dead but maybe just maybe they will make you feel like the dead.

• Forum MVP

The comments on jambands have been all over the place.

Some said trey technically would run circles on garcia.

It seems like phish fans are pumped for this. I got lots of dead friends sitting this one out and I don't know one phish fan that isn't going. Of course I know less phish fans.

A buddy brought up a great point. It's not really about using trey to sell tickets in so much as it keeps trey from selling tickets elsewhere. If trey not playing, the phishy heads would be going to spac. You need more than the current deadicated fan base to sell this one. Touchheads unite.

Sorry I know that last part was below the belt.

• Forum MVP

The comments on jambands have been all over the place.

Some said trey technically would run circles on garcia.

What an ridiculously ignorant comment (and makes me happy I don't read comments on jambands).  Maybe they should just get Eddie Van Halen.  He could get all technical and shit.

• Advisory Board

1. There's the legacy of the Grateful Dead music. That is written in stone. 

2. There's the legacy of what people think was the ethos of the band/culture/etc. That's up for interpretation.

3. Then there's the legacy of what Phil and Bob have done with Dead related music since Jerry. The Grateful Dead was bigger than the sum of its parts. While technically and legally it seems that they can do whatever they want, morally and ethically they have tarnished point 2 above. Point 1 can never be harmed.

Dr. B  B)

• Forum MVP

It is a process to mail order!!! Maybe that is the difference in crowds at Phish/WSP and the GD. I think it is good the band is giving those who do the work first dibs before the outlets swoop in. Que sera, sera. Of course until it isn't anymore. Lol.

It is a process to mail order!!! Maybe that is the difference in crowds at Phish/WSP and the GD. I think it is good the band is giving those who do the work first dibs before the outlets swoop in. Que sera, sera. Of course until it isn't anymore. Lol.

It is good although we should be able to eat our fill before T$cketmaster gets to dig their claws in. I doubt that if the band specified that they would be able to play Soldier Field though.

• Forum MVP

Rude,

If dso was in your backyard for the 4th, would you go see the dead at soldier field anyway?

Sorry I know that the non trey supporters are supposed to back off this thread. I've never been good at the let the words be yours I am done with mine. Words are just words. Notes are just notes. Tone is simply tone. This act won't sound like the dead but maybe just maybe they will make you feel like the dead.

Assuming I ger a tic, Id see Bobby phil etc as its the last shows maybe. I tried to do dso last year in Colorado but travel didn't work out. Dso is my fav. I've accepted that this group won't sound as good as dso but I'm looking forward to a stadiuk show assuming I can get tix. Plus it's nostalgia. Maybe it's trying to recapture my 20s like I do with DSO. Maybe it's me pretending it will be like my experience of 20 years ago feeling completely free while in a massive city.

If tickets arrive in my mailbox I'll be there.

• Forum MVP

I did 9 shows on 09 dead tour. I thought being with the "family" and supporting the ccreators of this music was most important. My tour buddy at the time. Did a few,dead shows but went out west for dark star. It's all relative but I feel I made the wrong call. It's all about the music for me and he heard better music.

• Forum MVP

If they chose JK it would have been Furtherer to many fans and may not have had the critical mass they thought fans wanted. I think it was the natural choice but what do I know.

If they chose Warren, it would have been The Dead and Other Ones 2.0. There is a relative fatigue with this choice and again may not have piqued the interest that they were hoping for.

Stu Allen? Barry Sless? Kimock? Moot point now - Trey it is.

Not sure that any choice would have had most fans singing cumbya. Right or wrong, Trey is gonna move the needle more than the others would - for better or for worse.

They can have at it. If it works out and I can go without huge collateral damage, I'll give it a spin I think. If I have to move heaven and earth to make it happen, I'll leave it the more motivated folks.

• Forum MVP

AND rude be careful with the feeling free. I would put the over under at 3000 drug arrests in and around that stadium over that weekend. I think we've all accepted cops have a hard on for hippies. This will be there last big chance too.

• Forum MVP

I see a lot of similarities between the way people view Jerry and trey to Jordan and Kobe. For those who grew up watching Jordan (or Jerry), its blasphemy to admit anyone holds a candle to them. But the younger guys grew up idolizing and imitating the elders and had the talent to make a career out of it. I feel like it's the comparison of the youngers to the elders that piss people off. Kobe is not Mike. And Trey is no Jerry for sure. But he's been cast to play a part, and hopefully he will do so as true to the original as his skills will allow. All that said if I was to get tickets and hear what I assumed to be a phish song(wouldn't know it if I heard it) I may rush the stage or burn that place to the ground. (Id insert a picture of the stapler guy from office space but I'm not savvy enough). I'm mainly going for some nostalgia, overpriced souvenirs, and so I can say I was there. And 50 years from now so my boys can say remember when dad took us to soldier field to see the dead finale?

Also a side note. The term "treyfuldead" makes my skin crawl. It's like giving the guy who picks up elephant turds at the circus top billing on the Barnum and Bailey poster

Archived