GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Never saq jerry. No one holds a candle to him. Kobe came up short. He had a chance. Tiger came up short. Never saw jack play meanigful golf. I think people who appreciate history can avoid being prisomers of the moment. I appreciate all of those players. I even appreciate trey. I listened to a lot of phish and dmb in high school. It's how I found people who knew of the dead. I am forever grateful

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

AND rude be careful with the feeling free. I would put the over under at 3000 drug arrests in and around that stadium over that weekend. I think we've all accepted cops have a hard on for hippies. This will be there last big chance too.

i think the comment had more to do with walking around chicago with a few balloons on a post show buzz. Thanks for the concern though.

• Forum MVP

Okay. So he will drive the ticket sales needle. You know we should've got beiber to sing and his guitar players, trey inspried, to play. That would have really moved the needle of mass appeal.

We are talking about licorice here. It's not supposeed to have mass appeal. Seems like phil traded in the black licorice for the red stuff cause more people like it.

Seeing dead shirts and trinkets at target makes me feel the same way.

The needle I care about is the music. It gets me off. When done right, better than an orgasm.

Trey playing dead feels like blue balls to me.

• Forum MVP

And I agree tea. Any choice would've had its detractors and supporters.

I would've been excited for stu, jk, or mattson. Hell they could've got butchy and I would've been more excited than for trey but butchy can't even sell out 23 west.

If tickets arrive in my mailbox I'll be there.

Plus one.  I saw my first Dead Show at the Uptown Theater in Chicago on January 31, 1978 when I was 16 and saw them 5 more times that same year in the same venue in a 3500 seat theater in the Heart of Chicago. Nostalgia. Hell yes. Plus my friend has a beautiful house in the City of Chicago and he told his wife go go visit her mom that weekend.  Um...no downside I can see.

The other thing is that I have a great deal of respect for people like Dr. Barry  that have been on these DSO Boards for many, many years like myself. He is always thoughtful with his comments.  But I just respectfullly disagree with him on this. JK would be my guy, but does it reallly matter? Trey saw the Dead in Hartford like me when he was 16 and was hooked.  The guy loves the Grateful Dead, he certainly is not going to phone it in or  go into Backwards Down the Number Line>Farmhouse>Tweezer  ... Hornsby freaking loved Garcia.....I still just don't get what the problem is....

• Forum MVP

You don't think they would play a phish song? It would symbolize the passing of the torch. Phil giving trey and phish Jerry's torch. Funny right. I wouldn't be blown away by it. It's like in sports. The old guy usually tips his cap. Jordan gave kobe praise.

• Forum MVP

I'm all in.

I primed the family by getting a nice hotel room for the whole weekend...later they said, "we’re really not interested in Chicago, but you can go."

Solo...w/out the family, "seriously, you messing w/Dad’s mind?"  "Yes….have fun..."

In the meantime, i've sent feelers out to old friends from way back in the day. I’m getting positive responses all-around to making the trip.  Will I be trying to relive my youth?  No, not trying….I will be.

I’m treating this like a holy trip to Dead-mecca.   6 months of build-up to an historic 4th of July weekend. A massing of the faithful.  I’ll be able to hear the recordings many times over….only 1 opportunity to be with the people.

I will raise my arms in triumph before the first note, and take the same exhausted pose after the end of Brokedown.

This is the back of the envelope…the front is top secret….

envelope%20back_zpsouk4xavu.jpg

• Forum MVP

Well u have colorado DSO that weekend MC. If I lived where u do and have 4 outdoor shows at gorgeous venues, no way I'd consider this. But it's a 6 hour train to Chicago and if tix arrive in my mailbox I'll have a great time. Plus chicago in its 2 month summer is an amazing city. The other 10 months of winter suck. I couldn't take the winters so I moved. But the sound will be huge. It always was at the big stadiums. a DSO crowd would be way more knowledgeable about the music and yes u will have the idiots saying play phish. But it just sounds like a fun time whoever is playing with them.

• Forum MVP

Greatest hits album on the way.

I'll pass on this one too.

Here's the track listing for it. All studio btw. What a joke. If u note, not 1 of these songs was played in the upcoming Daves pick 14. Maybe that should tell u that these aren't really greatest hits. So many glaring omissions. Plus the studio versions of several of these are just plain bad. considering the most played songs like playin, mamu, other one, Bertha, jack straw and legendary songs like morning dew and wharf rat are not included, makes this an illegitimate cash grab. What gets me is why the band doesnt say lets release something that will blow people minds who are making their 1st GD music purchase. The studio of fire is like 3 minutes long. Eyes is like 4 minutes. I still have no clue why the dead made these studio tracks how they did but the 1st time they did them live they were great. How many did they play live 1st then make a watered down studio version after the fact. If you are telling me that this is "The best of the grateful dead" I'm not impressed with this band. These versions are NOT the dead we all love.

The Best of the Grateful Dead’

‘The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)’

‘Cream Puff War’

‘Born Cross-Eyed’

‘Dark Star’ (Single Version)

‘St. Stephen’

‘China Cat Sunflower’

‘Uncle John’s Band’

‘Easy Wind’

‘Casey Jones’

‘Truckin’’

‘Box of Rain’

‘Sugar Magnolia’

‘Friend of the Devil’

‘Ripple’

‘Eyes of the World’

‘Unbroken Chain’

‘Scarlet Begonias’

‘The Music Never Stopped’

‘Estimated Prophet’

‘Terrapin Station’

‘Shakedown Street’

‘I Need a Miracle’

‘Fire on the Mountain’

‘Feel Like a Stranger’

‘Far From Me’

‘Touch of Grey’

‘Hell in a Bucket’

‘Throwing Stones’

‘Black Muddy River’

‘Blow Away’

‘Foolish Heart’

‘Standing on the Moon’

I hadn't considered that they might play a Phish song. It's definitely possible. Nothing I would desire but if it was a good one and they played it well I could tolerate and maybe enjoy it.

I started with 'Skeletons' because a co-worker played it over and over and it got in my head and I had never been exposed to their music before. Friend of the Devil was the one that caught my attention first and this was during a time that I was mostly listening to black and death metal and the darker noisy experimental side of electronic/post-industrial music.

Rude, I love studio Dead but agree that those versions are generally too short. Which ones do you think are bad? These days I'm usually listening to the studio albums or random shows on youtube. My issue is it being too much of a good thing which is why I have to skip over certain songs and take breaks from Dead music for months at a time.

• Forum MVP

I hadn't considered that they might play a Phish song. It's definitely possible. Nothing I would desire but if it was a good one and they played it well I could tolerate and maybe enjoy it.

My issue is it being too much of a good thing which is why I have to skip over certain songs and take breaks from Dead music for months at a time.

There's still time to take these remarks back.

Just yanking your chain :) I can understand the need for a musical balance and diversity. What I can't understand is any suggestion that Trey play a Phish song. If he does one straight up - that would certainly draw some ire.

The more I think about it though, how many Fee and Antelope riffs will make it into FOTM? Probably 1 too many....

I thought I had made peace with Trey as lead....I guess not

If tickets arrive in my mailbox I'll be there.

Plus one.  I saw my first Dead Show at the Uptown Theater in Chicago on January 31, 1978 when I was 16 and saw them 5 more times that same year in the same venue in a 3500 seat theater in the Heart of Chicago. Nostalgia. Hell yes. Plus my friend has a beautiful house in the City of Chicago and he told his wife go go visit her mom that weekend.  Um...no downside I can see.

The other thing is that I have a great deal of respect for people like Dr. Barry  that have been on these DSO Boards for many, many years like myself. He is always thoughtful with his comments.  But I just respectfullly disagree with him on this. JK would be my guy, but does it reallly matter? Trey saw the Dead in Hartford like me when he was 16 and was hooked.  The guy loves the Grateful Dead, he certainly is not going to phone it in or  go into Backwards Down the Number Line>Farmhouse>Tweezer  ... Hornsby freaking loved Garcia.....I still just don't get what the problem is....

the problem is you can't have a re-union - Jerry's dead - i'm starting to think people are forgetting that part 

Just want to say that I am thrilled that Bob, Phil, Billy, & Mickey were able to make this happen. I believe Trey is an excellent choice, and a brilliant improviser who most certainly will hit it out of the park for these shows! I think the “feud” between Deadheads and Phish Phans is utter bs, and I sincerely hope this helps put that to rest. Also, super-jazzed that my buddy Jeff Chimenti will be stirring it up with these guys!

Kadlecik is currently gearing up for a West Coast run with his new band the Golden Gate Wingmen. He will also be joining Phil Lesh & Friends for for a pair of shows at Terrapin Crossroads on February 13 and 14.

From the  guy who has lived in both  these communities more or less over the last 10 plus years and got passed over for the gig presumably....Glass Half Full.  I like it....

Archived