Chicago 2/6/15

2muchfun

• Forum MVP

I found the show played more in the vein of 77 than 76. More power and intensity than silky smooth and jazzy.

Place was crowded. I was surprised at how little what I actually think is dancing was going on.

Overall, DSO played a stellar show in a venue once again too small for their quality of showmanship.

Had to leave early. First trip with puppy. He freaked out a bit leaving hotel. We wanted to make sure he was okay. He did great.

Maybe more later.

Loved this show!  Love it when Lisa is singing!  I was thrown off by the placement of drums, but it was killer.  Got most of my favs in, hopefully someone posts the set list...  I do remember the Cold Rain Set 1 opener, Cassidy, Lazy Lightning, Samson, Wharf Rat, Brown Eyed Women, Help Slip Franklins, Big River, US Blues encore, and can't remember his name at the moment, but the Original Bass player joined in for some filler of China Rider at the end.

I brought my 21 yr old daughter with me for  HER  FIRST  SHOW  EVER !!!  and 3 other friends who have never seen s show  !!!  She was born on 3/11/93, and I waved at the Rosemont Horizon as I headed to the hospital fo rher delivery, obviously unable to attend and see Ken Nordine during space.  They wanted to see "a glimpse into my world"...  Well, in the words of a famous Chicago native, Bill Murray  >  They got all of THAT one !!!  They are hooked !  4 more converts !!!   Now they know what I've been up to for the last 25 years !  

Always love seeing DSO at the Vic, great little venue with great sound and old school vibe.   and YES, I danced my ass off the entire show, Balcony Right, on the Rail.     Thanks DSO for another great night of pure joy !!!!  I've been going to DSO shows since the little bars in Chicago, and they just never cease to amaze me how good they are, and how they just keep on getting better and better every time I see them...

Post Show buzz still not worn off !!!

• Advisory Board

Brief review:

It didn't suck, far from it.

It was sold out and crowded on the floor. 

Skip made the entire place vibrate all night. All top notch playing as usual.

Kevin in the house and played China-Rider as filler with Skip's Bass. All of Kevin's "post DSO" playing with DSO is quite inspired, I will leave it at that.

Dr. B  B)

• Forum MVP

I didn't mean to come off too harsh. Show sounded great. Any venue at any time will have good rooms and bad rooms. High energy places and low energy places. The place was tight I only tried a few rooms but lots of talkers and socializers. Reminded me a little of nyc. There it is easier for me to find a high energy room. I know people who beam electric light there.

• Forum MVP

last time I saw DSO at the VIC (2012 maybe) I was appalled at the crowd. Super crowded, horrendous lines to the bathroom with people smoking cigarettes in them (no reentry or smoking section), and not only was there almost no one dancing but nearly everyone was engaged in a full on conversation.

So, yea, I can relate...

• Forum MVP

Got most of my favs in, hopefully someone posts the set list...!

Set 1

Cold Rain & Snow, Cassidy, Brown Eyed Women, Big River, Ship of Fools, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, Friend Of The Devil, Looks Like Rain, Might As Well

Set 2

Let It Grow-> Drums-> Let It Grow-> Wharf Rat, Samson & Delilah, Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Sugar Magnolia, E: U.S. Blues

F: China > Rider

The first show of the winter tour. DSO were hot and ready to go. The Vic Theater. Once again they alway seem to amaze me. What a great concert to start off the tour, Chicago, 1976, June 27 Auditiorium Theatre. We all wished that the music would never stop. They are like a fine wine they just get better with age.

• Forum MVP

i remember seeing Dso do this 6.27.76 Chicago show at Higher Ground june of 2007 http://dsoforums.net/starbase/dso_shows.php?hname=set_list_handler&pk0=3676

still to this day only show that i have been to with just my sister, no one else with us or there that we knew at the time, we had a blast, special memory for me because she's only been to like 5 Dso shows and she just turned 21 so she could buy us beer

also vividly remember the Slipknot! easily claim it to be one the strongest versions of it that i've seen really, filler that night was like 3rd set 

• Advisory Board

Bass player joined in for some filler of China Rider at the end.

That would be the great Kevin Rosen... Super sweet guy, with a great sense of humor... I owe him a phone call, thanks for reminding me :)

I started my 7-show run here in Chicago, and as it was last year with this venue, city, and state, I have nothing good to say of it other than the band was great as usual.  Leaving from Ohio, first you encounter unmarked police SUV's, all blacked-out with deep tinted windows, constant and continuously rising tolls every few minutes on the highways, and then the cities set up each intersection differently and slap enough red light cameras on them to make it feel like a disco.  What a horrible state.  Horrible city.  And even worse venue.  Full-on pat down, crotch-grab and titty feel-up, and then you find out the box office is back outside with another line to wait in, then back into the entrance line.  All because their staff just started yesterday and no one knows what the hell is going on.  Coat room downstairs next to the women's restroom, single-file stairwell with only one girl putting away hundreds of coats.  I got to listen to Cold Rain and Snow in the basement of this shack.  Upstairs, you're welcomed by fairly tropical weather, in the range of 85-90 degrees+ the entire time.  They lock the doors so there is no fresh air and I think they cut the HVAC unit to save money.  Intermission means the guys are going to wait for 45 minutes to get to the pisser, only to find out 1 toilet is out-of-order and you can tell that it has been for quite some time.  Concrete floors, bare.  SS security shining flashlights at everyone with a lighter.  $7 beers, too many people to even try to get a good buzz on, no dance room.  F this place, I am never coming back.  Band was great.  Wharf Rat was outstanding, and even from my cellar seat, Cold Rain & Snow had a long solo and nice length to it.  I find it too bad that Help>Slip>Frank's was wasted on this crap heap.

Set 1
Cold Rain & Snow, Cassidy, Brown Eyed Women, Big River, Ship of Fools, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, Friend Of The Devil, Looks Like Rain, Might As Well
Set 2
Let It Grow-> Drums-> Let It Grow-> Wharf Rat, Samson & Delilah, Help On The Way-> Slipknot!-> Franklin's Tower, Sugar Magnolia, E: U.S. Blues
F: China > Rider

Archived