Jubilee Night 1

HelpSlip

• Forum MVP

Btw, I like dancing.  Dancing in a crowd, dancing with others, dancing with my baby, dancing with the dog (he howls sometimes) but I agree with some of the mangos sentiment, in the end its between me and the music.  Nothing else.  My dance experience is unrivaled in Jamaica.  And I primarily freak out alone there.  However, this weekend that we are discussing.  Wow.  Best time I've had in the states since the ledges and not the last couple years.  Some of you know what I mean.  

• Advisory Board

Rick, I'm not afraid to inflate your ego. You've got mad crazy moves...sometimes...and other times you are a bum ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Rick for some reason has to make dancing a contest... and in his own wacked out head, he thinks he's the best... To each their own when it comes to dancing.. some people bop their heads, some dance and sway, and then there's Rick... lol... I'd go with the bum statement most of the time :) Love ya Rick... you weirdo :)

• Forum MVP

Man. You should stay up on the boards. We've had this talk. Even with pictures of different dancing celebraties. Sorry I called it a competition to you once. I know mango is up for it in good spirit and sport. We both know full well to each their own. Some dance. Some chat and drink. Some stand still so lost they hope their found. Whatever you come for as long as you let me do what I come for and then we all good. No competition just expression of love and self through music. Love you guys. I won't call it a dance off around you again herd. It clearly stuck with you. Stay up to date on the boards instead of late night drunk posts and I think you would know I know it's not a competition.

Such a fun show. Great year to recreate. And that HSF, dancin, Samson to start set 2 drenched me. I looked at tea and was like ballad us please after dancin and we get a Samson. The ship of fools saved my life. All smiles the whole time. What a wonderful time.

Man, I remember it amazing but just listened to the friday night set, and yes... the help<slip<franklin was as darn good as I remembered it to be. I can hardly fathom how musically on point the whole band was for these 3 days

• Advisory Board

Hey Rick,

I know I enjoyed my time on the rug with you and Chuck and Brian and other "dancers". It makes me feel less self conscious and more able to let go, and especially so when I'm dancing with the person I love, Sweet Annamarie.

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

The post show jubilee buzz is fading but the poison ivy remains. Bet Chris and I were only ones to get it b/c of our secluded campsite even though right on the road.

• Forum MVP

The post show jubilee buzz is fading but the poison ivy remains. Bet Chris and I were only ones to get it b/c of our secluded campsite even though right on the road.

The price of having your own pee spot. I think it was worth it.

• Forum MVP

Then it was worth it for sure. Next year I'll bring an old tarp to throw on top of the ivy. Maybe we can get MC to weed eat it on Thursday so it will be ready when we arrive.

• Forum MVP

“The heat came around and busted me for smiling on a cloudy day!”

This morning they announced closing of our plant where I have work/played for the past twenty-five years. I’m fine with that since it means moving on to a less stressful life with less responsibilities. I was smiling most of the day. But almost all of my co-workers and friends will have their life severely upset while they find new employment.

But that’s not what I came to talk about this evening. I’ve been putting off saying anything about my experience at the Jubilee…. that’s because I’m solely embarrassed by the STUPID thing that I did Friday night.

But first I should apologize for not spending much time with my old friends that weekend. I did see Big John who was camped a just few tents down the row. And Chicago Mike suddenly found me and we took our traditional First Day Walk around the site which seems to happen at every festival we both attend. And then at the top of the hill Chuck greeted me with a big hug and showed me where other friends were in the RV park. There were a few minutes with Teacher Matt, Connie, Sue, and a passing wave to Gary. I think Vic was there for a moment too….and many other familiar faces whose names escape me.  I wish I had stayed longer but I wandered back to my tent with plans to return latter.

That Friday evening I sat my chair at the edge of the grass at the base of the hill where I could prop my feet on one of those nice big rocks. Nan, from the tent next door, had followed me there…a nice new friend whose husband was else where at a Druid festival. When Marvin Seals started playing Roses, I had to go down to the front of the stage and dance. Wonderful time as the energy was building in the crowd. After a song or two I was winded and said to myself, “I need a drink”, innocently meaning a drink of cool water. But in that sort of energy All hears All and a young gentleman said, “Here have some of this, Doc.”  I first turned it down, knowing that an unknown drink in the heat of the crown is a dangerous temptation.  But I thought, what the hell, and said sure. As I took a big swig he said to roll it around under my tong….Ahh,  a good tasting strong but smooth whiskey. Now, I don’t drink very much these days but this was nice. …And when I swallowed the liquid it turned to fire…WHOEE…flames were seen bursting three feet from my mouth.  And then the gentleman said he had mixed 190 proof, half and half with liquid THC. I just thought, “I hope that’s all that’s in it…I don’t need no tripping tonight.” After a couple minutes I decided I had to go sit down before this drink threw me to the ground.

A bit latter, sitting in the chair I felt the world to start turning on and vision picking up that exergated 3D depth perception effect. Over the evening the high was nice but a bit flat, nothing to write home about until I decided to stretch my legs and stand up. Uh oh, no balance…sit back down …and then try again…nope, no way I can keep my legs straight under me.  So I sat there the whole evening and into the night enjoying the music and occasionally testing my legs but with no success. I felt fine but could not stand up and walk. The night went on and eventually the music stopped with me still in the chair not able to walk. I kept looking for friends but saw none to help me. Eventually two young dudes stopped asked if I was all right.  “No, I’m not, I’m fine but I can’t walk” and I explained the stupid act of mine by taking the drink many hours ago. They then helped me by sort of careing me with my arms around their shoulders…some how we found our way back to my tent at the far back of the hill where I crawled in and sleep it off. The next day I could get around but had absolutely no energy in my body nor mind. I quietly sat on the sidelines listening to the music. I really never recovered until Sunday evening for that fine DSO show but by that time I felt like just enjoying the music and dancing at the top of the hill. 

I really miss not spending more time with friends and especially I’m disappointed that I failed to meet up with Tea, Poetry Girl, and Rude.  Oh well, it’s only about six weeks to Black Mountain and maybe with this new freedom I can see more shows.

Peace, Love, and Please Don’t Drink the Water
Doc

• Forum MVP

Doc,

I looked high and low for the turkey feather and alas never saw you. I am surely glad you are okay ! and got your legs back underneath you.  It sounds like you had quite an adventure. And definitely, I will see you at Black Mountain ready to dance. 

Happy Retirement ! No more Sundays at the plant, right ?!

• Forum MVP

Happy Retirement ! No more Sundays at the plant, right ?!

"Look out any window

any morning, any evening, any day

Maybe the sun is shining

birds are winging or

rain is falling from a heavy sky -

Well actually there might be more late nights over the next year as we wind down the every day, round the clock production. My assistant and many other friends will find new jobs as soon as they can which will leave me more responsible.

"Maybe you'll find direction

around some corner

where it's been waiting to meet you

Still have to keep the place safe and the chemicals in place and not in the environment.

"What do you want me to do,

to do for you to see you through?

This old lady was built in 1976 by my older friends in The Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.  They did it right.

"It's just a box of rain

I do know who put it there

Believe it if you need it

or leave it if you dare

This morning I’ve gotten sort of semimetal about closening the place. There are lots of systems and processes that I’ve created myself and they seem almost like they are alive as the little pet dog sitting on lap right now.

"Just a box of rain -

wind and water -

Believe it if you need it,

if you don't just pass it on

Sun and shower -

Wind and rain -

in and out the window

like a moth before the flame moth before a flame.

"Such a long long time to be gone

And a short time to be there."

Peace and Love this Morning

Doc

• Forum MVP

I feel you Doc, I've closed a plant that I worked at for 13 years when it got bought and shuttered. Still vividly remember the solem walk through the place when all the machinery and furniture/fixtures were gone. Every corner of that building held a memory for me. How could a place that was so lively and bustling now be so quiet and still?

"Gonna leave this brokedown palace...."

• Forum MVP

The Boss said it pretty well too:

Now Main Street's whitewashed windows and vacant stores

Seems like there ain't nobody wants to come down here no more

They're closing down the textile mill across the railroad tracks

Foreman says these jobs are going boys and they ain't coming back to your hometown...

Just so sad.

Archived