Jubilee Night 2

HelpSlip

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I guess I don't get it b/c the DS through lovelight was the most amazing stretch of music I've ever heard in my life. 1st set was amazing but that set 2 from start to finish changed me. I got so lost in DS that I realized that I was completely still while everyone around me was moving. It took me some time after that set to get right. I've never had music just take over like that. I honestly wonder if the dead had a show that great. I know that's may piss off some but it was just perfection and it was so insanely complicated. That was my 4th 69 show and no others were even close to that one. It's like I had never heard the dead b4 that night. I talked to several people who agreed that if they decided to just play that same show again night 3, we'd absolutely love it. I'll likely listen to that show again tonight as I rest my achy bones.

• Forum MVP

Lol. I took no offense. Was just messin around like usual. The world is more beautiful today and nothing can knock me off my perch. I may have to look into rugs for next year as you guys had it going on. I've met so many great people through this band. I'm truly grateful for DSO and the dead. It seems like every show I meet more and more great kind people. I love all of you guys and gals and you all help contribute to my bliss :).

That 2nd night show may be the closest we'll come to traveling back in time to see young men in their prime rewriting the rules of music. For us '69 fans it was more than we could have hoped for, with all of the best parts of the 50 year long strange trip emerging in strange and delightful places. Skip tied the show together with bombs that woke the dead, and from start to finish the band showed us their hard work and deadication have transformed them from the best cover band in the world into something that transcends space and time. It's clearly a labor of love and I am privileged to have been there to dance my appreciation into the universe and receive this masterpiece in return.

• Forum MVP

Rude, have you listened to the original of this show or the rest of the run? What about 2/22/69 Vallejo bowl? I put all of those up there with what we just heard and several others. Its so subjective and nitpicking at thus point. Dark star crushed this show and deserves loads and loads of praise for the way they worked their magic this night. Jerry's genius never allows me to say DSO did it better. JM is the closest I've ever seen anyone play with the reckless abandon that jerry did in the early years but if pressed, I'd say he still isn't there. I just not sure I can see the student ever surpassing the master in this case. All that said, your comment doesn't bother me at all. I am so glad that you feel that way. I wouldn't want it any other way. This was definitely a top 5 Dark Star show I've ever seen. I've seen 400 plus by my estimation. Still not home. I'm having dinner outside kansas city but I give you guys my take on the weekend soon. Just incredible.

Rick, I'm with you on the original being better but the sad truth is you and I were born too late to see the dead live. We're the first generation to come to this music after the plug was pulled and the fact we were both at the show rather than sitting at home listening to a recording says good things about DSO and the future of the scene. I was thrilled to see kids who hadn't even been born when Jerry passed shaking their bones all over the jubilee.

At its heart this music is about giving us an all new take on the music every time it's played, and there are only so many recordings of Jerry in existence. If you want something truly original you have to go with DSO or a lesser equivalent (no offense to Trey) and given the choice I want to see the band live while I dance with my friends. DSO is getting better and better and when they inevitably hang up their instruments many years from now I pray someone else will be waiting, ready to fill the void.

• Forum MVP

Better question may be have you ever put yourself in the mindset you were in at the jubilee to listen to the original?

That's the million dollar question. Is it possible to be in a jubilee mindset at home. And a 69 board on a home system can't compare to a festival sound setup in the present. Then add in all the good people and it's really impossible to get in that frame of mind. No one is Jerry. That's true. Mattson is by far the best Jerry I've heard who wasn't Jerry and he gets better every time I hear him play. I plan on listening to this original show. The lower sound quality is an issue for me. I love the intricate details of the music that can be lost with audience or old recordings. But after that recreation I told my buddy that we are listening to the original this week.

Truly unreal, Im still thinking about it and bringing myself to the mindset of that night. The feel of the crowd was ALMOST as good as the music! The music however has never sounded better in my opinion. All 3 nights were special but this one goes beyond that. Magical moment in time. Glad to have spent it with people I love, new people I met, and above all my inner self

• Forum MVP

I agree you'll never achieve that mindset at home.  I'm more saying the search for that mindset helps release what happened at this show.  I stayed up all night the night before waiting anticipating what was to come.  I had been told not to shoot my load until night 2.  Best advice I've ever got and I think he knew that I would do special preparations to make sure I was truly ready to shoot my load.  The world bends when your exhausted.  

• Forum MVP

I think it is a synergistic thing. You are vibrating with the collective energy of the whole, at best. It is the feeling in the air, the electricity in your soul, amped with everyone's good vibrations.

The energy of the space is nice too. Beautiful sky. I loved the cottonwood cotton floating in the air. Magical....

Probably a vortex opened up there Saturday night. ☀️

• Forum MVP

Try seeking to feel those vibrations when your all alone. The energy is still there. Love never ceases to be present. Also a beautiful feeling and mindset to be in. Different then the synergistic crowd sensation but I feel just as capable of making what your hearing sound like the most beautiful thing ever.

I also believe the opposite to be true. I've had some of the most magical experiences were the music was transforming and life altering just laying in the bed my dad slept in, 15 feet from the shower I found him dead in, weeping and feeling like there's no love in the world. The music is ever beautiful and eventually love shines through.

• Forum MVP

Ultimately we are talking about why Saturday night was the most magical musical experience of one's life and it's up there for me too. The wonder, the magic, and the beauty. Thank you so much dark star. As the cliches goes I am forever grateful

• Forum MVP

Just downloaded this show and as I dance to it, it's bringing back many strong emotions. Drums are emphasized in the recording which I like putting the funk groove is at the forefront. Off beat funk drumming during Dew is at a premium. No wonder I danced so hard to it.

• Forum MVP

The whispers on the wind were an early psychedelic show. The feelings floating on the air were cosmic jazzed laffy taffy. 

All right, all right, all right  All night. Strolling down to the show the joy could take a bite out of anticipation. 

Love how this show starts. Why not everyday!? Certainly today we are sitting on top of the world. New dawn each day makes for a clean slate. No worries. People come and go in your life as they ought. Some make the journey with you and others stay for a season. I have learned this love. Where I am is where I am to be becoming. 

SOTOTW makes me bop.

Ah Morning Dew...will we have what we had yesterday? What if it all radically changed? Nuclear holocaust is what Bonnie Dobson pondered. My son born on my grandmother's birthday on 9/11/2001. Yes, ghostwriter I hear you. Therein a grateful attitude can be found. The precious of life and its funny beauty. Life is abundant and we touch it all in our conscious. Once the moment ceases to be our enemy then we will be truly free because we create our reality. Therefore, there is no wrong or right. Just the moment and all it brings. Open your arms and mind.

Love a Morning Dew first set. Jeez my spaghetti. Out of the box coming into my dance space. The song pitched and rolled like crashing waves, the tide rolling and ebb and flow. And then still. hanging till it crashes again. I was a puppet on a string chasing my heart awe-ing.

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl.  feisty and soulful.  We have been dancing but now it is on full tilt boogie. And an extra ball to boot at the pinball machine.You know all the bells and whistles ringing as it hackeysacks around the machine. yes. 

And then Doing that Rag.....Holey Moley.  I mean to be dramatic. Grab your sneakers. I have been listening to this song on the radio everytime I get in the car at lunch. Its lurchy tempos and complications. The lyrics are just amazing. Love ragtime !!! ............ aces running up and down my sleeves. and chasing light beams !!!......... Each time I turn around a blessing smacks me in the face but only when I let go of the security the moment seems to afford.  May the unbounded truth be revealed again and again. And I am talking the strangest of places...... Glory glory. This song is a real gift was  played. So complicated it was dropped from the repertoire. It was a dream come true

By this time I am mouthing this is only first set. ?#$%! really I could only think in symbols at this point, Rude and Tea. lol

Now. I have had my share of death. One instance left me with PTSD for years. Thank the Lord he spared my dog Jed. A miracle. 

The rest of first set was powerful.

Funny, all these years later, I am experiencing what I had to walk away from after Zephyr died with Joe in a better place to experience the Grateful Dead. Full circle and better for the journey. I guess he did have to die. And death has no mercy and it doesn't matter anyway because Love trumps all.

Second Set 

DDN solid. Mountains of the Moon..ethereal, other worldly like of jesters and ladies and medieval. Gracious Dark Star. crackled like the dawn with the rooster's crow. St. Stephen. I felt a collective relief spread. It was party time and we got watered. 

The Eleven was just a wondrous treat. The breakout jam..... freedom takes wing.

And Lovelight. The boys were having a ball. Wait a minute, wait a minute. the collect. Hummph.  oh, funny, funny. Turn on your love light. "AND LEAVE IT ON"

Thank you. I will never stop living it.

Encores!!!! whew.

Archived