Audience NFA chant

Encore
Touch of Grey( TA and BW )

Encore II
Attics of My Life (All)

Mickey "Be kind"

Funny shirt by Bob during encores:

1010845.jpg

Good times!  Much better than I had expected.  The energy at Soldier Field seemed to be relentless - I'm glad there were no large-scale 'incidents' other than the shows themselves.

It was all a dream we dreamed one afternoon long ago......

• Forum MVP

Musically, I thought it was GD-Lite, with one exception - that Days Between was awesome. Vocals were rough all around and Phil was just God-awful. Bobby left the door open for future collaborations in post show interview. When asked what his thoughts were looking back on 50 years of performance, he said "nothing". That was pretty funny. Glad we got to see a professional production of the final show, more glad we've got DSO carrying the torch.

• Forum MVP

I went to Saturday and Sunday with low expectations

Sunday's show broke my heart wide open

The energy of the crowd was something I haven't experienced since Englishtown

During Throwing Stones jam the big screne cameras focused on on a tapestry of Jerry hanging off a facade in the upper deck. The crowd went wild and I started weeping

for the joy and sorrow of this last encounter with this band of miscreants that changed my life and gave me life

I was standing next to Al Frankin when Bobby yelled " God damn government" and he made the funniest face

Priceless

During the long strange trip line in Truckin you could feel the power of the crowd as they all sang in unison

I'll never forget it:-)

Setlist Santa Clara:

1. (Bob Weir lead vocals)

2. (Phil, Weir, Trey, and Bruce sang together)

3. (Phil Lesh lead vocals)

4. (Bob Weir lead vocals)

5. (Bob Weir lead vocals)

6. (Trey Anastasio lead vocals)

7. (Cannon's Jug Stompers cover) (Phil, Bob, Trey, and Bruce shared vocals)

8. Set 2:

9. (Phil Lesh lead vocals)

10. (Phil, Trey, and Bob traded vocals)

11. (Bob Weir lead vocals) (with William Tell bridge)

12. (Bob and Trey lead vocals)

13. (Bobby “Blue” Bland cover) (Bob Weir lead vocals)

14. (with Mickey Hart on mbira)

15. (Phil Lesh lead vocals)

17. (Bob Weir lead vocals)

18. (Bonnie Dobson cover) (Bob Weir lead vocals)

19. Encore:

20. (Bruce Hornsby lead vocals)

• Forum MVP

okay. so they did play it. just gave the most dedicated and regionally located fans the delight. I would've rather they repeat the other one than truckin but what can ya do. I'm glad some people got it. thanks for the list. the set list looks great.

Set I

GD thank the fans & love huddle

China Cat Sunflower>(TA and All)

I Know You Rider (All)

Estimated Prophet (BW)

Built To Last ( BH)

Samson & Delilah (BW)

Mountains of the Moon> (PL)

Throwing Stones(BW)

Set break!

Set II

Truckin'> (BW and All)

Cassidy ( BW)

Althea ( TA)

Terrapin Station>( PL and BW)

Drumz>

Space>

Unbroken Chain> (PL)

Days Between> (BW)

NFA>( ALL)

Phil Donor Rap

Audience NFA chant

Encore

Touch of Grey( TA and BW )

Encore II

Attics of My Life (All)

Nice! Wish I would have been there.

Musically, I thought it was GD-Lite, with one exception - that Days Between was awesome.

I could not agree more! Kept waiting for an emotional ballad that actually sounded much like the GD, and finally got it with Days Between. Bobby was extremely focused and fierce in his delivery, even though he struggled with his voice and sounded very strained at times. An odd choice for the emo ballad, I thought at the time, but looking back it made perfect sense in a heartfelt, reminiscent way, and it was the highlight of the show for me. I also enjoyed the China>Rider opener, as it seemed to electrify Trey in his big role, and the band was (mostly) in synch throughout. Another peak for me was the Terrapin, which, after hearing DSO play more of the full suite in their recent shows, seemed short, but well played and sung. My overall take on these performances was they did not lack for effort, and showed what power the core four still have in them, even though "the flesh is weak". I have gone back and forth in my mind wondering how much different someone like JK would have been in the Jerry role, vs. Trey, but they had their reasons for picking him, and I do not begrudge their choice one bit. You could tell Trey gave it his all, and there was obviously a warm vibe between him, Bob, and Phil. The audience, for the most part, looked so "duded up", with lots of high fashion and jewelry, which made me laugh out loud. Not many dirty hippies in that crowd...but then, how many of them could afford to shell out upwards of $1,000 for a ticket, unless they were among the lucky ones who won the mail order lottery? I am glad the band decided to mark their 50th year with a final set of shows, and that we in the 99% had the ability to stream or watch them in some mannner from afar. Props go to the video producers and live feed handlers, as they did a fantastic job. The quality of the video and sound, at least through my HD cable, was most excellent.

• Forum MVP

To my ears Friday was the most consistent show of all 5..the LIG was big...

Friday was the best of the bunch although the 1st set on Sun was really tight

I agree that Friday was the best show musically but it was all good.  I was there Sunday and it was really hard to describe how cool it actually was, particularly being from the Chicago area (no longer live there)

One other thing, and there is no other way to say it. I have never seen Phish in my life so I am not a homer by any stretch of the imagination. Trey Anastasio was a monster at this thing and deserves all the credit in the world.  He was superb.  Make no mistake about it, there is no one that could have pulled this off in the guitar spot with the gravitas and weight he displayed. There was no other choice. He was the MVP of this gig and it was the perfect tip of the cap to Garcia. Very impressive to say the least.

• Forum MVP

I'm so happy I went and still can't really put the experience into words having felt ALL of the things. It was just beyond my wildest imagination to look up and see that amount of people there together for one last time and have that amount of energy... just absolutely glorious. I'm beyond grateful that I have DSO to continue seeing across the country but this was important to me and ended up being one of the most profound experiences in my life. So while this was the end of one chapter, I'm beyond excited to see how the rest of the story unfolds.

I thought the music was good and Trey did a pretty great job. Never seen Phish and still don't plan to see them but I was very happy with the end result. You can always be pleasantly surprised and impressed when you have no real expectations. I was pretty wiped out on Friday from DSO at the Vic on Thursday, which was definitely the best music I experienced during my time in Chicago. I definitely had the most fun on the Fourth of July and got seriously emotional on the last night, especially from Terrapin through Attics.

That's seriously about all I have for you guys...

• Forum MVP

And that said it all Found. Very glad you got to experience that. I recall from my GD days the magnitude of difference between a show at Giants stadium vs a show at the fox theater in Atlanta. Stadium shows were so immense you felt you'd landed on a grateful dead planet. Camping in the parking lot made that real. Always surreal.

• Forum MVP

I went to one show... Watched parts of the others. Still not a fan of Trey's playing. Lacks long runs, too many little jabs and too much distortion. While I was there it sounded good enough but on recording does nothing for me. It's all good... It's not the music so much that seems to count.

• Forum MVP

I agree mango. Listening to the boards doesn't do it but the sound setup and the atmosphere being surrounded by 70k others was so much fun. Dancing to OMSN was so much fun with everyone going nuts. Watching vids I noticed that during the happy songs like that and Gokden road the LCD screens used really bright colors and it really did elevate the mood. You and I were big skeptics and I'm glad we both turned out to be wrong about the fun of the live show even if we only got 1 show each.

• Forum MVP

Have u seen those soldier field 95 pics. Much more intimate with around 45k lol. That's when soldier field was more of a shallow bowl and you could walk from front row to the very back row on the same aisle and they didnt put u behind a stage. The 2015 had a much larger sound setup than 95. Much larger. This show had a touristy feel to it for sure. Completely different look than in the day. More showered people for sure.

Archived