what is next for Weir?

liquidsmoke

Heard a rumor I won't repeat here. Anybody want to chime in?

I'd like to see him do something more Dead-like than RatDog or Furthur but I'll take what I can get. A solo acoustic tour Robert Hunter style would be awesome too, even if he only did 80 minutes a night.. aside from the fact that people would talk loudly throughout.

Mayer-Weir talk. Lather, Rinse, Repeat...

This is what I heard and with Bill and Mickey. Just Google searched and saw some articles from April, I'm pretty out of the loop I guess haha.

I'll have to research Mayer, I have next to no memory of hearing his music but I know the name of course.

Just listened to 30 seconds of a John Mayer song on youtube and it sounds like shopping for clothes at a department store in the teen section.

NO.

Also,

WHY?

Trey is one thing, kinda makes sense but this guy? He's going to sing Jerry songs???!!! Also not going. Don't do this Bob. Just don't. Please.

DSO for the win.

edit: Who's next, Justin Bieber? That was uncalled for but somebody had to say it.

• Forum MVP

Just listened to 30 seconds of a John Mayer song on youtube and it sounds like shopping for clothes at a department store in the teen section.

NO.

Also,

WHY?

Trey is one thing, kinda makes sense but this guy? He's going to sing Jerry songs???!!! Also not going. Don't do this Bob. Just don't. Please.

DSO for the win.

edit: Who's next, Justin Bieber? That was uncalled for but somebody had to say it.

For a sneak preview, go to the threads in this section tagged "Phil & Friends 6/12/15" and "Phil & Friends 6/13/15"........

• Forum MVP

I should listen to the clip again and try to keep an open mind but I can't do shows with mayer. Just can't. The teenage girl and their parents will be in attendance. The show will not be a judgment free zone for us spinners as soccer mom's try to shelter their young kids from the crazies. I just won't do it.

• Advisory Board

I think it's clear what this is all about...

1. The Core4 get to continue after the financial success of Fare Thee well. The generous will say they are following their hearts, cynics will say they are cashing in. Realists will say both.

2. If Mayer plays lead guitar like the clip above, it will allow Phil and Bob to split up all of Jerry's songs for themselves. No more worrying about that complaint from the fans who want a Jerry style voice and guitar. It won't exist.

3. It will serve to bring the GD catalog to the "bubble gum" masses. A new audience. New and future revenue stream apart from the die hard deadheads that they already can count on to follow them.

4. Prediction: Deadheads, psuedo heads, wannabes and teenie boppers will still flock to it, tour with it, praise it and it will be huge. It's just the next thing the core4 will do in their "evolution"/run from their legacy. They will call it "progress".

5. DSO will remain the standard bearer for the psychedelic GD sound and will "inherit" the faithful who "like their sugar sweet".

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

Well put Dr. B. I feel they will lose some of their deadhead faithful (members of point 4) crowd but the teenie boppers will more than make up for it.

I just hope DSO doesn't change their plans to accommodate Mayers Dead. It can be denied but I feel their summer plans changed for Dead50. We lost out on shows from the best band in the land for Treyful Dead. Please don't let them do this to us again. We need you. We want you. Don't leave those of us that really want to hear it played right out to dry.

I think trotting this line up out would be a clear signal that they enjoyed playing together again and felt the brotherhood again. Also a clear sign that the cash is good and that they like making money. Sadly, also a clear signal that Jerry and those that have left us are of little concern to them. They've moved on. This isn't about his legacy. It's about having their legacy stand on their own. Some at these shows won't even know what jerry looks like or that Hunter wrote these songs. Only natural to assume those singing are the ones that wrote them.

John Mayer is an excellent musician, song writer and vocalist. A very good guitar player. The collabloration itself does not really do much for me or frankly make that much sense. But implying that Mayer can't play or that his music is for teeny boppers and soccer moms or that he is not talented is simply not on point in my opinon. Not even close.

• Forum MVP

I don't know many adults that listen to him and the ones that do usually have early teen aged kids. Just saying. His radio songs are too soft to be called rock. I've heard he can play a little bit. The shoes he's filling. Way too big for his feet.

• Forum MVP

Chicago was fun. Not gonna jump through hoops for Mayer. Will stick with DSO tour. I watched Mayer play on the late show and it seemed like a beginner guitar player learning dead tunes IMO. Was not impressed. Trey did a great job and was more psychadelic IMO than Jerry. He played with every effect he had and did it often. Jerry just played from his soul. Yes he used effects but not to the extent trey did. I don't remember if I posted this elsewhere but I saw a comment that said during birdsong it looked like bobby and trey were having a guitar effect battle. If the dead with Mayer came close to St Louis I may attend but won't spend a mint too do it.

But then again I think most here thought the dead with trey would suck so.........

• Forum MVP

I saw him play in a Stevie Ray Vaughn role at some sort of tribute special with buddy guy. He impressed me there. His radio stuff never did much for me. I'd go to 1 if it comes close and isn't crazy priced. Mainly just to take my boys. They've seen ratdog, Mickey, Donna, and even TC. And DSO in double digits.

• Forum MVP

All this discussion makes me wonder what the history "books" will say 500 years from now.  Our Grateful Dead music will be the classical music played by the Delhi State Orchestra.  The music will be declared better than Mosart and that other band from our age, " the roaches"  or was it called "the beatles." ?  The story will be of the orginal Greateful Dead and the following bands such as DSO and others. Lost in time will be the MayerDead but the "Fare Thee Well" shows will be mentioned. Serious historians will search the Google database and pull out our discussion and quote Dr Berry and Mason and declare them the highest critics in the land.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

They will look back 500 years in the future and say back in the day they didn't have neural viewers so people had to actually travel to see concerts. Yes it was extremely weird. You had to walk over a mile to get to soldier field. There were no teleporters back then. People drove thousands of miles to shows. Yes they had things called cars that were bound by gravity. And this band was retiring after only 50 years. They only lived around 80 years not the 300 we are used to. The weirdest thing back then was that humans did not have laser fingers for protection. The NRA at that point was not the leader of the world and had to fight to allow people to carry guns in schools. Yes. We aren't sure how anyone could learn anything if they weren't equipped with weapons. Thank The church of Scientology that we don't live in that period.

^ HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Regarding Mayer, I suspect he could probably learn Jerry songs note for note without too much difficulty but he won't because they won't make him, that's not what they want anyway. Mostly I just can't stand his voice. Not saying he can't sing though. I don't like Brent's voice either, well mostly in The Grateful Dead, he was a very talented man no doubt.

• Forum MVP

Did no one consider the bonus of john Mayer in that katy perry may be in attendance. Yes u may be saying katy who but she's the large breasted singer that wants to melt your Popsicle. Maybe Mayer will jam a few licks of California Gurls in her honor. We can only dream!!!! The funny thing is I saw some pics where she was dressed all incognito, like any deadhead would give a crap about her or harass her at a show. I bet if they put a pic of her on the jumbotron less than 20% would even know who she was. Likely more would recognize Rob B than her. Now sitting next to Bill Murray would have been a treat. I bet if you asked everyone at the show if they would choose to sit next to Bill Walton, bill Murray, or John Mayer, Mayer would come in dead last. If u asked who you wouldn't want in front of you, it Would be Walton lol.

Archived