Election 2016

bs69

• Forum MVP

I must say reading all this is amusing. I usually don't dwell on these forums but do increase my interest when I am about to embark on a DSO experience (Brooklyn x2).

Stop already with popular vote thing, it is part and parcel of not being a direct democracy but a representative one. As such there are mechanisms for change....knock yourself out

My deplorability by one woman's opinion does not make me hate all of them...as opposed to the so called tolerant who protest and riot my opinion en masse.

I can wear my "Make America Grateful" t-shirt and get high fives (from also non deadheads) here in southern Indiana while I would increase my chances of bodily harm dramatically if I dare do the same in fore mentioned Brooklyn...huh?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Rude, I agree with your politics about 99% so I have no problem with your rants on this thread. I am 51 and I don't remember an election result negatively affecting me like this one has.

Someone mentioned a "punch to the gut".....that's about right. When I read about all of the likely unraveling of hard work over the past 8 years (and possibly well beyond 8 years), it nearly makes me sick. The ramifications to the Supreme Court are even more upsetting, potentially setting us back decades.

It has occurred to me that I feel as if I'm processing a death, and I actually have felt better since I had a good cry last night.

My primary struggle this week has been my reconciliation and acceptance of people who voted for this guy. I can understand the average underemployed and under educated dude in the Rust Belt, because Trump delivered a slick sales job to him that I probably would have bought too.

But I do know people who are well educated who I hang out with who voted, and in one case door-to-door campaigned, for him. I'm watching myself seethe with anger at these people, knowing that I need to let it go for the greater good. Today is better than yesterday, and hopefully tomorrow will be better than today.

The way I see it is that sometimes in order to take 2 steps forward, we have to take 1 step back. I somehow need to learn how to not judge those who feel just as strongly on the other side. It's so weird, because it's as if we are from different planets or something.

So.......to those of you who voted for Trump.......I hope you were right......for all of our sake. I get my health insurance off of the exchange, and I am worried that that is going away. I also happen to like the planet we live on, so I really hope that permission to further exploit and pillage it is not granted.

Peace to you all....reid (aka acududeman)

• Forum MVP

Trump will be appointing a climate change denier to run the EPA. Literally the biggest denier will run the EPA. The potential head of the EPA has repeatedly called for the EPA to be abolished. That will fix things. In KY they appointed the head of a coal company who's company was fined countless times in the last 10 years for illegal dumping to run the states EPA. At least pretend like you care about the environment. When did environmental protection become partisan. In the 80s both parties worked together to fix the ozone layer problem. Cfc's were identified as what was causing the holes by scientists and both parties worked to ban them and I just read that the hole is starting to close up now. What a great success. Now 97% of the scientists are liars and the common people eat it up. When fake science like the polar ice caps are getting bigger gets put out they suddenly like to believe science. There's an entire industry where Heritahe Foundation people put on seminars of how to combat scientific fact. Money at all costs.

I could not agree more. And this issue alone makes me wonder why anybody in their right mind could vote on the Right. We all need clean air and water, do we not?

I'm being 100% serious, can anybody on the right explain this to me?

• Forum MVP

Once again both sides need to come in from the ledge. The earth is getting warmer and there is nothing we can do about it. We can work to change our practices to make a slight difference in slowing it but it is crazy reckless to make people in low lying areas to think that humans can make changes to stop it. They will need to plan for receding coastlines no matter what we do, that is where the majority of our efforts should be. How do we adapt to the inevitable.

• Forum MVP

Rudes politics is 100% wrong, and Trump's election win was a big fuck you to the placating pussy bastsrds to the left. Please start using sense that is common. I am sure the dinosaurs died because of to flatuence, and the methane heated the earth, then froze it, and blah blah blah.

You ego centric fucks, to think your race, your species is so important to actually change the geological time scale of planetary evolution.

Lay off those drugs that make you think you are much bigger then you really are!!

When the med filled in through the straights of Gibraltar, u think the ancients said oh shit. Maybe we should stop cooking our meat?

Trump's win was a big ole fuck you to the right, telling them to keep your fiscal conservation, let people keep what is theirs, while telling them to fuck off the abortion and other archaic social issues!!!

Rude is a pundant for Racheal Madoff, and looks like her too. Cause hi is her!!

I have several rebel flags. My favorite is a original flown in Virginia during the time of war. I believe in states rights, and our Constitutional federal republic!! If many of y'all know what that even means?

One of my heros is Robert E Lee, and his character and core values is what made this country great,and is what also gave this country 16 of some of the best political minds the world has ever embraced.

I promise you, it was not Hillary's mindset that made this country great. Not even close.

I took my 6 year old voting. He knows more than the general electorate, and his civic sense probably knocks 80 percent of country out of water!!

It's why I wrote his name on the ballot for president.

I really sorry, on a intellectual level any of you that actually got personally invested in this election of idiots. It would be a reflection of your thought processes, and as I have said many times. If it was not for the music, I would definitely have no part with some of y'all in real life.

Hillary for president......what a flipping joke!!!

Trump is president elect, what a fucking loss!!

Proud to be a redneck here!! Proud to be from Virginia. I am looking right now at cape Henry. I live 5 mins where the Virginia Company made first landing.

They choose to go inland, settled in a swamp. Nearly all died, and I guarantee you that there were no food stamps, complaining of wealth distribution. Indeed, this great country would of never existed if it was for the soft, pussy hearted shit I have read on this thread.

Grow a flipping pair, boobs or testies,a as both men and women are tough enough to forge new futures for themselves; however, none of this would of ever existed some of the words written above!!

• Forum MVP

It is just no so easy to say switch to the Popular Vote ...

If we went by that switch then the Republican Presidental candidate would make campaign stops in California and New York just for the sole purpose of gathering precious votes while the Democratic candidate would make stops in Texas for the same reason... other factors as well ...

I can go more in detail but choose not to but ... I will say this... I have taught the election process for 20 plus years at these levels - from as high as Political Science 101 at the community college level to 12th grade AP and Honors US Government, and even a simplified version to 8th grade Honors American History...

Trump outcampaigned Clinton and simply his team figured out the best path with the system ... that is get to 270 ...

• Forum MVP

See levels are not going to rise hundreds of feet but it only takes a few feet to put a lot of people under water.

The "hundreds of feet" was a bit overstated. A few feet is more likely and will cause significant problems. It's probably too late to reverse this situation because too much of our system depends upon processes that add the wrong chemicals to our atmosphere. The conversion to solar, wind, and tide could help but we move too slowly. Some say the methane from cows in the feed lots is a larger cause but people don't want to reduce their consumption of beef.

It only takes a slight shift in the concentration of gasses in our atmosphere to change the "green house" effect. This does not mean that we will be living in a  100 degree summer but it will shift the overall temperature enough to change our coast line. Mankind can survive a temperature shift but our society will have to adapt. The real reason that the main powers in the world like to deny climate change is not the science of the situation but that it will shift the economic future. 

• Forum MVP

....Sorry but humans can easily destroy the earth. If we exploded hundreds of nukes, we could wipe out all life. .....

Yes, a major war would do us in just like a big rock did to the dinasors. Quick death for many and a slow death for a few more generations. But "the earth" will live on as other forms of life slowly become dominate.

• Advisory Board

The Earth is a little over 4.5 billion years old, its oldest materials being 4.3 billion-year-old zircon crystals. Its earliest times were geologically violent, and it suffered constant bombardment from meteorites. When this ended, the Earth cooled and its surface solidified to a crust - the first solid rocks. There were no continents as yet, just a global ocean peppered with small islands. Erosion, sedimentation and volcanic activity - possibly assisted by more meteor impacts - eventually created small proto-continents which grew until they reached roughly their current size 2.5 billion years ago. The continents have since repeatedly collided and been torn apart, so maps of Earth in the distant past are quite different to today's.

The history of life on Earth began about 3.8 billion years ago, initially with single-celled prokaryotic cells, such as bacteria. Multicellular life evolved over a billion years later and it's only in the last 570 million years that the kind of life forms we are familiar with began to evolve, starting with arthropods, followed by fish 530 million years ago (Ma), land plants 475Ma and forests 385Ma. Mammals didn't evolve until 200Ma and our own species, Homo sapiens, only 200,000 years ago. So humans have been around for a mere 0.004% of the Earth's history.

The above is taken from the BBC Earth website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/history_of_the_earth

It is "human-centric" to feel that we are the keepers of our planet. We are part of a long line of living and non living inhabitants of our particular rock. Which is part of an unfathomably long evolution of the universe. The earth will be here long after humans have come and gone. I believe in evolution and it will continue in ways we cannot imagine. And that is inevitable. And it's good. The place and part of our species is nothing in the long view.

As humans we are so self important. We really believe that we matter and control things. Anything at all. We are a speck of dust. I don't believe we should gratuitously and stupidly pollute the planet. Just being pragmatic about things. On the other hand I think things like global climate change is part of the bigger evolution of the cosmos, maybe even part a bigger evolutionary "plan".

The realization that we are a speck of dust on a speck of dust in the imagination of a speck of dust in a universe and cosmos full of specks of dust is liberating. For me it takes me back to what is important and gives meaning to my life. Rather than search for answers and meaning it is clear for me. Shedding the vestments of grandeur and control and superiority the only things we can do after we stop looking for meaning and trying to exert our will on people and things is to realize that the only thing we can try and control is ourself.

And that being said, if you are a kind human the meaning of life becomes obvious. To be happy, to spread happiness and love and safety to those closest to us. That is the meaning. To be born, live the happiest life you can, to help your loved ones experience the same, and to die after a hopefully long stretch on the planet.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

See levels are not going to rise hundreds of feet but it only takes a few feet to put a lot of people under water.

The "hundreds of feet" was a bit overstated. A few feet is more likely and will cause significant problems. It's probably too late to reverse this situation because too much of our system depends upon processes that add the wrong chemicals to our atmosphere. The conversion to solar, wind, and tide could help but we move too slowly. Some say the methane from cows in the feed lots is a larger cause but people don't want to reduce their consumption of beef.

It only takes a slight shift in the concentration of gasses in our atmosphere to change the "green house" effect. This does not mean that we will be living in a 100 degree summer but it will shift the overall temperature enough to change our coast line. Mankind can survive a temperature shift but our society will have to adapt. The real reason that the main powers in the world like to deny climate change is not the science of the situation but that it will shift the economic future.

And then there are AC coolants to consider, especially with the boon of cars in China. Thank goodness they love Buick

GM Greens Its Auto ACs With Greenhouse-Gas-Friendly Coolant

"The new gas, HFO-1234yf, breaks down far faster in the atmosphere than today's R-134a, and will reduce the amount of airborne refrigerant from the new cars by more than 99 percent.

Average atmospheric lifetime of current and next-generation air-conditioning refrigerants. Supplied by Honeywell, the greenhouse-gas-friendly HFO-1234yf refrigerant breaks down in just 11 days, versus its predecessor's 13 years. This cuts its rating on the global warming potential (GWP) index from more than 1,400 to just 4."

As it gets hotter people will be getting more window units in places normally not dependent on AC.

I'm more of a reader than a poster on these boards, so I don't know any of you. But I think everyone that has been so involved in this thread would appreciate the videos on this page. There are 3 videos about 10 minutes each. They depict the same message that I get from reading this thread - a group of people can vastly disagree on things but still be great friends.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/12/opinions/van-jones-messy-truth/index.html

• Forum MVP

Unless you are completely 100% environmental friendly 24 hours a day 365 days a year and your entire family is as well then preach ...

crickets

there is another planet with life form out there doing it way better than we are and there is another planet out there no longer around because they did it worse than we are...

China alone is an environmental disaster ... good luck having them join in on the crusade ..

7 billion people and rising on this planet it is doomed not today not tomorrow but soon

• Forum MVP

As a species we are quite full of ourselves. If population growth is even 1% do you realize there will be about 5sq ft of dry land in a mere 400 years or so. If that doesn't happen what will? One good volcanic blast will make you forget about human caused air pollution. Perhaps our role is to cause next mass extinction...been several before us will be several after.

• Forum MVP

Why do you keep assuming that everyone that voted for Trump is a racist? There are a lot of different reasons why people vote the way they do. Do yourself a favor and stop listening to and reading all the hate groups. Did you think they would vote for Hillary?

Archived