Election 2016

bs69

• Forum MVP

Anybody watching these Republican debates? I usually don't pay a lot of attention this early, but I have a son taking AP government that was required to watch last night, so I sat down and watched with him. I thought last night was a lot better than the first, but it is still difficult to tell who is going to come out of the pack. Of all the contenders, I thought Rubio had the best night and I think Trump definitely slid a bit.

Thoughts?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Christie is making a very harsh approximation of the results of stem cell research but lets say and I'm not into medicine maybe they already can do this but if through stem cell research they learn to regrow cells in the eyes that allow us to see, do you think that the pharmaceutical companies are going to restore sight out of the goodness of their hearts.

I think Hilary supports the other forms of abortion as well. I'm pretty sure she's pro choice but I can see Christie's rationalization.

• Forum MVP

They should be gagged if they don't answer the question more than once. I thought Rubio did the best last night. Kasich made me mad last night because he is reasonable but he wouldn't answer the questions, just kept blabbering on about how the budget got balanced when he was in Congress and how Ohio is solvent now. He did give the best answer on Iran, the deal is done now we must work with it. It seems to me you lose all credibility tearing it up.

Rubio probably did the best out of all of them and is probably the best republican candidate. That being said, any republican winning the presidency is a major loss for anyone with a brain.

And lets not be too concerned if Trump gets the nomination. Embarrassing for our country, yes. But having Trump as the republican candidate virtually secures a win for the democratic nominee. Elections are decided based on who can appeal to moderates. Trump appeals to the far right, but absolutely cannot secure moderate votes.

• Forum MVP

Can u imagine if Carson or Paul gets their way and implemented a flat tax?? The poor would instantly get much poorer while the rich would have taxes cut in half. Deficits would explode. Fair tax to them is the poor paying 15% instead of nothing while the rich go from 30 to 15%. So I guess republicans are the ones for redistribution of wealth but from the poor to the rich. But their base can care less about that. If you agree to defund PP, they will let u wreck the economy and pretty much do anything you want. Imagine the support to go to war if a candidate said we need to raise taxes to pay for war. Support would completely dwindle. Cut taxes, more wars, but the democrats are responsible for the deficits. Rational thought is nowhere to be found.

• Forum MVP

Taxation is a real interesting subject. We abandoned a core principle of this country on Feb 3rd 1913. The Founders believed in limited government and a free and independent citizenry (white males only). The founders were clearly wrong on some subjects, see white males only. They may have had it right on taxes and the purpose of government and it's budget.

Somewhere out there there's a land that's cool

where peace and balance are the rule

Working for the future like some kind of mystic jewel

I know many have forgotten that this world is not our home.

Enough with the cliches dead references. Off the soap box to the dog park.

• Advisory Board

"If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

Quote falsely attributed to Winston Churchill, but I do like the quote nonetheless. Someone else said that you shouldn't discuss politics or religion in polite company. I don't think it has anything to do with being polite, but more that you really won't change anyone's mind about what they already believe. You may make some enemies. You may make yourself look like an idiot. You may make yourself feel good.

I really love the music of the Grateful Dead.

Dr. B B) 

• Forum MVP

Me too.

I might point out that next week's show to open the tour is partially supported by tax dollars--as the city of Eugene is one of the sponsors of the Cuthbert Amphitheater show where all tix are 10 bucks with no extra fees. Now that is a damn good use of public funds to make the world a little brighter place

• Forum MVP

Consumption tax.  I assume land tax and sales tax would be included in the definition of a consumption tax.  With no income tax, clearly the Founders thought consumption taxes work better.  Maybe some one who had read a bit more than me could explain the Founder's position on taxation.  Clearly, we all know they wanted representation.  

Huck,

I'd rather by 20 and keep the government out, but I've heard great things about the Cuthbert and politics and my opinions on the extent and scope of government will be left at the door.  I'm there to dance.

• Forum MVP

If you're still stuck in the Conservative/Liberal paradigm, you need to wake up.  Both sides work for the same guys.  Both sides play golf and share hookers with each other.  They want to keep us divided amongst this paradigm so we don't think for ourselves and see that both sides have gone wrong.  I'm not saying we need a new party, but we most definitely need a new line of thinking and it has to go beyond. "I'm a social liberal thats fiscally conservative."  Basically, you will vote for either party, but won't consider ideas outside the box.  Stuck in the middle.  Good for you.  

I was a liberal when I was young; I won't argue with Churchill (I know quote misattributed) and I will concede I have become more conservative with age.  I am sure the transformation isn't over, but I've also accepted that I would be more accurately described as a radical.  Maybe peaceful revolutionist.  If we want to have peace, end poverty and hunger, and grow up in a society where every single person has a chance to flourish.  We don't need amendments or small changes to the current system.  We need a complete overhaul. 

I'm not saying those goals are necessarily the most worthy.  

If we like blood for profit, never ending war and conflict, prison for profit, and the enslavement of a portion of the population through wage slavery, we should keep voting Democrat for a few elections and Republican for a few more.  We will privatize more prisons and sell guns to both sides of every conflict that we will continue to foment.  We will never see peace and always get to feel right, as we blame the liberals or conservatives for our problems; when our problems are solely are own.  

I love the soap box.  Maybe an old conservative wants to jump up on top and tell me how comfortable things are.  I doubt we still have any Obama enthusiasts left.  At least Trump makes us laugh.

Archived