10/3/68 - Jam > Other One (Video)

Tea

• Forum MVP

This video is an absolute blast!  I'd embed it here but I've forgotten how:

http://songmango.com/rare-video-the-grateful-dead-blow-minds-in-1968/

Really awesome-sauce here folks!

By the way - if you like great GD videos, search voodoonola in Youtube and you'll find a goldmine of some tasty stuff.

• Forum MVP

I'm not sure about laugh in. The old footage I was linked to appears to be showing the '68 student strike at Columbia University (near Harlem) when students took over 5 campus buildings for 8 days. The band was smuggled to the campus in a bread delivery truck to play a stealth set for the strikers. Such a different time and space...love the intro jam and watching some of the characters in the crowd beginning to get their faces melted.

Just learned about this event recently,,another snippet from the bands' history.

Thanks for the link,,fun to see that one.

• Forum MVP

That was a joy to watch !! Very drummer centric as if holding a pulsar's light to the core as the guitar sounds swing wide , wheeling fast and soaring at times. Allowing them to wander and explore. and Loved seeing Jerry and Bobby sing. Happy people abounded

• Forum MVP

Loved that.....thanks for posting!

Love, love the rawness of the 60's Dead.....crackling with youthful energy. The gear they were playing on was so basic, and I think this is a big reason for the raw sound. I will always like the drum and cymbal sound of the 60's the best. They were playing symphonic snare drums with heads tuned tightly, and the drummers were snare-centric with rudiment-filled snare work galore.....so fucking tasty. I also love the wash of the 60's Zildjian cymbals they were playing.....I wonder what ever happened to those cymbals......I'd love to have them.

• Forum MVP

From Relix- Trey Anastatio's 4 things he learned at Dead Camp

The first: “There has never been a great rock band that hasn’t been built around an irreplaceable drummer,” Anastasio says. “That guy, in the Dead, is Bill Kreutzmann. I stood there for five days, watching people dancing. Bill is the heartbeat—Mickey, too. Together, they are one heart. Once the music started”—Anastasio hums the opening riff of “Truckin’,” the first song on the first night in Santa Clara—“I was like, ‘I know who’s driving this ship.’”

Archived