2016 Winter Tour....

Tea

• Forum MVP

It is all around my home..

No Charleston unfortunately because of timing probably mid week. it would be fun to hang with all the coastal people. Great food and lovely though the winter can be harsh as the wind from the Atlantic whips through the city streets designed to channel sea breezes to prevent disease and keep things cool.  AC's and Blind Tiger late night. Andolini's pizza and Juanita Greenbergs Nacho Palace are key. Throw in Coast or Rue de Jean if the living is high... Yum. Oh the choices..... Two buddies from Charleston were out in Santa Cruz with us. It would be a righteous good time.  Originally from  upstate, a nice fella runs the venue. And if you visit Charleston and want some nice sightseeing, of course White Point Gardens where they hung pirate Stede Bonnet. But my favorite easy spot- The Dupre Aiken House is a preservation, not a restoration. Really elegantly shabby and beautiful. Like a gracefully aged beauty. 

Had talked about FL a couple of weeks ago, knowing it was Feb 11. I'm not sure my family can bear out two weekends away. My teenagers would not get anything done but will see. Maybe St Augustine and catch Georgia Theater on the way home. I think Georgia Theater could be amazing dance time.

Asheville is easy. Last time we had the sweet dance area with other forum cats and boogied. Can't wait- you fellas better be there !! Raleigh yes as family is there and round it out with Charlotte. No brainers. 

Better start jam band training now.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

My dad lives an hour from Athens, my daughter is a senior at College of Charleston, my brother lives in Asheville, my boy Tea lives in Raleigh and I live in Charlotte. Talk about a custom designed week of shows!! Thanks DSO, even if you didn't do it on purpose. Gonna be a good week.

• Forum MVP

Mango tired of the midwest (really the mideast) a long time ago.  I don't think he cares much for Indiana, Ohio, Illinois.  We all make the annual trek to Black Mountain (essentially Asheville).  If you've been to the Orange Peel lately, you know it is way too crowded and doesn't make for the greatest of times.  I've never been to Athens and going places I've never been appeals to me and the venue sounds all right.  Capacity may be concern at 1000 but only a few bar stools for seats as the place is for standing and dancing as per their website.  I'm not quite sure why he isn't interested in Florida.  I'm sure he will come back to explain.  This looks to be an active tour for me.  I think I will tack Athens on to the end of the FL run.

was hoping he was thinking florida too..

ive seen SCI in Athens at GeorigaTheater 3x ..very small for them, but reminds me of a nicer ,bigger 9:30club..sound is awesome, balcony is cool

• Forum MVP

;) not calling shots... All the things I plan to do I only do halfway ~

Florida is a maybe due to the Perotti factor. Wish they were playing that venue near St Augustine again... Forget the name... Was crazy good last time!

What else is there to do? Really!?! Anything! hike a mountain. There is more to do with life (if you so desire) than GD shows.

• Forum MVP

Get in touch mango. We can ride together. I flying in and out of Atlanta for under $200. Makes for long ride to Orlando but very reasonable ride from Athens. I will be early morning flight home after Athens. I know that isn't the best for ones conditioning but I need to get home for the doggies.

• Forum MVP

Looks like I'm doing the Carolina run again if a certain someone gets mrs approval. Chicagox2-Milwaukee. St. Louis and maybe cinci and indi. Louisville is right after I fly home from Carolina so not sure if that's in the cards. New Years run is now iffy and would likely only be Richmond lx2. Seems like none of the Carolina/Virginia crew is doing it so not sure if I want that 12 hour drive for 2 shows. We had 8 packed in our Richmond suite last New Years. This year zero commits. Half the fun is our party crew which makes the huge drive bare able.

Theres a 3-day gap in there. I'm predicting a Nashville show added :). Meili wants to do around 8 shows. She's got the tour release pipe dream syndrome. She suggested the whole St. Louis to Columbus run but that's a tad too much with the other possibles.

And btw MC last year the orange peel had tons of room. It was snowy and -5f outside which kept lots away. I can still feel the burn of that 6 block walk in 40 below wind chill. Get back to the hotel and our heater was barely keeping it 60 in the room lol. Hey at least there were no townies allowed.

• Forum MVP

St Louis through Chitown will be where its at.

Rude, stay in touch. I got a place for you to crash in indy?

Florida team, stay in touch. I would love for us to get at least one night with a significant group of us together. I got free places to crash but wouldn't mind throwing in on a house so a lot of us can be together.

• Forum MVP

Rude,

I hear you about the orange peel. Weather and other factors definitely have their place in effecting space. Ramshead is on my shit venue list and my last trip there (on a sunday) we had epic space.

Everytime I've seen DSO at the Cap the dance scene has been fantastic. I went and saw Phil and friends with our very own RB and founder of this band JK over Halloween last year at the Cap. The dance scene was shit. Way oversold and crowded. Also a younger my expereince matters more than your experience crowd.

Ducats,

At my favorite breakfast spot in Kittredge Co. It's my favorite breakfast spot in Colorado maybe ever really. They have a bunch of signs with cute sayings about cooking and life. One of the signs says dance like no one is watching. Made me think of you. I'm still working on it.

• Forum MVP

I booked flights for the 4 night run Orlando through Athens.  Seriously, round trip under $200 for 4 shows with some of the best people on Earth.  It just seemed like a no-brainer.  I wanted to lock it in before checking back in 2 months and being told that flights would run me 400 round trip.  

God willing, I never miss Florida runs for a bunch of reasons. I would love to see PG and her husband as they have become part of our group....Mango is coming, at least I am praying that he is...Charles is in, I am also praying. MC is on and I hope all the other regulars are in as well...we could tear these old buildings down :-) I am sorry to all of my friends for being a stranger as my business has swallowed me whole and spit me out ...it wasnt pretty and the business will be sold sooner or later and this one will see more DSO for certain...It helps with everything ;) Peace and Love to all of my friends...

• Forum MVP

I feel you mango. Tomorrow is yet a mystery to me but I've found with events that involve travel by flight best to plan early and hope for the best. Worse case scenario Southwest let me change flights or use funds towards another flight. All I think we are saying is that we hope you make it. It would be great to hang with you and even more so to feed off your energy at the show. If you can't make it, we will still no doubt dance and share in one another's energy.

Florida has been the plan for a couple months now.I am nervous about shows. 3~4 weeks ago I found out that I have a 5cm aneurysm in my ascending aorta and a leaky heart valve. I will dance at the Welmont and if I get through scarlet /fire EOTW or similar ok I will figure out next 6 month's of shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando and Pompano for sure. The drive from The Keys to Orlando, back south to Pompano and then back up to St. Pete is a haul. Might have to make the trip to St. Pete to visit the Deli, I would love a NY style pastrami on rye!

If anyone is interested in a trip to the keys in conjunction with this run, PM me.

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

Orlando and Pompano for sure. The drive from The Keys to Orlando, back south to Pompano and then back up to St. Pete is a haul. Might have to make the trip to St. Pete to visit the Deli, I would love a NY style pastrami on rye!

If anyone is interested in a trip to the keys in conjunction with this run, PM me.

Peace,

Joe

Hey Joe our deli is outside of Orlando not St.Pete !  :- )

• Forum MVP

Florida is a maybe due to the Perotti factor. Wish they were playing that venue near St Augustine again... Forget the name... Was crazy good last time!

you are talking about the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall..we had 2 awesome experiences there together

• 3 weeks later...

Archived