Wellmont

sudds94

Fun, full of energy, but of course too crowded for my own liking, but able to make space. 

Msg 3-10-81

Mississippi Half-Step
Franklin's Tower
Me and My Uncle
It Must Have Been the Roses
Little Red Rooster
Don't Ease Me In
Lazy Lightnin'
Supplication
Brown Eyed Women
Looks Like Rain
Deal

Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Lost Sailor
Saint of Circumstance
drums
The Wheel
China Doll
Truckin'
Sugar Magnolia

Satisfaction
Brokedown Palace  filler White Rabbit

• Forum MVP

A really terrific show! The band was in top form and really ripped it up. Right from that beginning Half Step>Franklin's I know we were in for it. Every song in the first set was played so well and with great energy. In particular, Roses was so beautiful and Jeff told its mournfully sad story with great pathos. Red Rooster  was a rocker as was Don't Ease. LL always a treat and the LLR was gorgeous and melted into a Deal that was a killer multiple builder and peaker!

Second set was absolutely perfect and I believe that every song segued into the next one.--right from the get go, that Scarlet> Fire> Sailor> Saint> Space> Drums> Space  put me on a different plane of existence! The Wheel was turning all right and I always enjoy that song to bring me out of Space. If I had to pick a single song that was my highlight for the show, it would be China Doll which was simply beautiful and heart wrenching--both the vocal and guitar. Then a rocker of a Truckin' into a rock-rock-rocker Sugar Mag!!! Wow. Encore informed us that Satisfaction could not be gotten--but the audience sure was satisfied. And to end the set, one of my faves--Broke Down--another soulful performance by this wonderful band. When Lisa came out for her amazing White Rabbit filler, we were all very happy and soaked up the song's psychedelia. Lisa performs that song so incredibly well--it is extraordinary. She is amazing at everything, but White Rabbit is a very difficult song to sing and she just kills it! And I love the 60s psychedelic guitar and feeling on that song--DSO gets it completely right!

Welmont was packed but I do really like that theater. Wish they didn't remove the caps on the water bottles when you bought one, so note to self: remember to bring a pocket full of water bottle caps next time!

Great show! The Welmont is tight and doesn't  allow all out abandonment for the dancers but I found spots at times to let loose. Loved Mississippi Franklins opener , Red rooster played with funk and Deal closer was perfect for the first set. Scarlet Fire especially Fire was smoking hot! China Doll great but still didn't come close to the China at the Palace a couple/few years ago in my opinion. The highlight of the show for me was watching how much DSO loved doing Satisfaction. I could tell you guys really enjoyed that! Loved watching Lisa's energy build on the beginning verses of White Rabbit and being after midnight when her mic was brought out I knew there would be a nice little Jam so I let loose during chessboard verse to the end. Felt the love very strong between friends and thank you for watching my back with the uncertainty of my aneurysm looming... Can't wait for more,  Love you all !!!

• Forum MVP

wow. feels so good to be home with my family. seeing dso and all of you great people really renews my passion for life. it's amazing the impact this music and all of you have had on the cynical naysaying prick.

I like the wellmont. renovations look good. space can be found/made. sound was good halfway up the floor. didn't make it to the balcony this time around. crowd was very friendly albeit a bit talkative. having said that, I felt there was a real good energy in that building last night.

half step franklins is one the better opener tandems. got the crowd moving. roses was nice and sweet with a good vocal performance despite the crowd perhaps not being into it at that point. chitter chatter. rooster had a good bounce with some excellent slide work. lazy lightning supplication was a good romper. I felt it really crackled with energy. brown eyed was a good sing along and really helped carry the momentum. LLR put Jeff's mastery of Jerry licks on display. really played it true to the era. good jam at the end. set closer deal had me dancing like a madman. huge...

scarlet was solid but fire was over the top. I swoon over china doll. really good version here. truckin and sugar mags were really fun. usually not too pumped on those but the selection felt right last night and the crowd responded generously. both were really tight, particularly truckin.

for a greatest hits kind of show, it was really good. really great energy. totally fun and one of those nights where I just sort of gave in to the music. total acceptance.

really loved seeing everyone last night. missed you all dearly. on to new haven!

• Forum MVP

I find free water stations to more common on the west coast.  Not surprised they take the bottle caps to help increase revenue.  Repeats, al biet rare, do happen.  H>S>F different than Half Step > Franklins.  I can still understand your surprise.  I doubt they play that tune again for awhile.  

• Forum MVP

I agree.  It can usually be avoided when the elective is involved.  I remember catching TJed in 5 of 7 shows during one stretch I believe in 2010.  I already didn't too much for the tune.  This didn't help.  Also, I remember a confusing stretch of Playing in the Band one time.  I actually still enjoy dancing to that number.  

Franklin's not quite eyes, but I think they could get away with playing that one for me most nights.

• Forum MVP

T Jed is a bathroom song for me. Just not my cup of tea. There was also a Spoonful jam in there. I looked at the time after Brokedown and I knew they were up against the curfew. so when RB said we have time for a quick one I knew it was going to be either GR or White Rabbit. I would have preferred the GR, as I have heard White Rabbit so many times in the last few years. Don't get me wrong Lisa nailed it as usual, but they didn't  have the time to s t r e t c h it out, to get it to  that place. She is the heart and soul of the band.  Show was solid. You would have liked the renovations they did to the Wellmont Rick. Still not a favorite venue of mine, however. Beats the hell out of the Starland though.  :rolleyes:  Cotter did a great job with the sound. Clear and crisp. It was packed, over 2k definetely. For me the highlight of the show was the FOTM, Jeffrey killed it. So good to see a bunch of family again, although others were definetely missed. See ya's on the Golden Road........safe travels.

. I looked at the time after Brokedown and I knew they were up against the curfew. so when RB said we have time for a quick one I knew it was going to be either GR or White Rabbit..

Time seems to run faster for me, thought it was after 12! still nice guitarwork after W.R. lyrics.

• Forum MVP

Having my heart stirred by the weight playing at the pizza place.

I believe the safety hazard is the justification they use to take your bottle cap away. I know that they are more than okay with the unintended or possibly intended consequence of forcing you to buy more water. I've seen clubs in new York deny people cups of tap water. Money and not safety generally lies at the heart of matters like this.

• Forum MVP

Aaron got it right.  A water bottle, full, with the cap on, can do major damage not only to people, but to our gear.

No venue wants to have a major lawsuit on their hands.

For those of you who may have seen the dead for the first time in the late eighties and nineties, I must tell you that when I toured(my only tour) the spring of 77, they repeated sooooo many songs night after night.  We never got tired of one!!!!

Rob Eaton does an amazing job of balancing our shows night to night.  If the band feels at an elective it wants to play a tune we might be doing the next night, C'est la vie!!!  Completely different animal any way.  76 Franklins vs. 81.

RB

• Forum MVP

Aaron got it right. A water bottle, full, with the cap on, can do major damage not only to people, but to our gear.

For those of you who may have seen the dead for the first time in the late eighties and nineties, I must tell you that when I toured(my only tour) the spring of 77, they repeated sooooo many songs night after night. We never got tired of one!!!!

Rob Eaton does an amazing job of balancing our shows night to night. If the band feels at an elective it wants to play a tune we might be doing the next night, C'est la vie!!! Completely different animal any way. 76 Franklins vs. 81.

RB

That's a pretty good tour you chose to follow, Rob!

Aaron got it right. A water bottle, full, with the cap on, can do major damage not only to people, but to our gear.

For those of you who may have seen the dead for the first time in the late eighties and nineties, I must tell you that when I toured(my only tour) the spring of 77, they repeated sooooo many songs night after night. We never got tired of one!!!!

Rob Eaton does an amazing job of balancing our shows night to night. If the band feels at an elective it wants to play a tune we might be doing the next night, C'est la vie!!! Completely different animal any way. 76 Franklins vs. 81.

RB

Archived