Penn's Peak!

chinacatfunflower

Tittiest original!!!!

(correct me if i made any mistakes/missed anything)

Set 1: (73 style)

Here comes sunshine

race is on

bird song

Run run rudolph

Bobby magee

you win again

hurts me too

hes gone

good lovin

Set 2: (69 style)

Dancin>

tighten up jam>

dancin

attics

doin that rag >

william tell >

the eleven >

drums >

Lovelight>

caution >

lovelightt

death dont have no mercy

viola lee (monstroserous!)

E: big boy pete

My 34th dark star show and heard a number of new songs. Most psyched on the dancin...alwaysssss hoping i get a dancin and finally got it! Thanks dark star its always an amazing time at the pre thanksgiving show!! :)

Very special set list!!! so much fun. sold out venue? seems the peak gets tighter every year. wishing HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all. So many friends old and new, love you all. I am shot out just got outta shower, brushed teeth with neosporin by mistake... Attics and so much more, 11 HCS .... THANK YOU BAND AND CREW it must be difficult missing T G every year with loved ones so you can bring us joy. officially awake for 36 hrs now and need 4.5 hrs sleep then back in the car.

• Forum MVP

A really cool set! Loved it--songs performed so well and great placement of the numerous gems of the night! Back to Penn's Peak for me after not having been there for about 3 or 4 years and love this venue!!! Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! Holy cow what a show! The song selection was just tremendous. Dancin, Viola Lee, Run Run Rudolph, You Win Again... So many highlights. And that Tighten Up Jam in the middle of Dancin was truly amazing. Thanks band, crew, and Dark Star fam for yet another awesome prethanksgiving show! Can't wait for the spring:)

As this was the only show we were going to this tour, I checked the previous 2 setlists to see Dark Star and Cryptical>The Other One>Cryptical were played [so it wouldn't be a 1969 show], and Eyes of the World and Stella Blue were done, along with a 1 drummer show [so no 1973 show]. Those being my favorite years to see DSO perform shows from, it seemed a little less exciting to go, but, perhaps, they would play an elective, and jam with Here Comes Sunshine, Bird Song, Morning Dew, the Eleven, or Viola Lee Blues.  You can see why I might be writing a review....The first set seemed to be a 'what would have happened if Pigpen lived to play with Keith and Donna in 1973' set.  HCS, Bird Song, Me and Bobby McGee, and It Hurt's Me Too [Lisa shining] were very, very strong versions.  Rob B. smoked the Pigpen songs throughout, and the rest of the band backed him up beautifully.  The 1969 second set was as glorious as the first.  The old way they did Dancing was followed by a great Attics [with Lisa, if I recall]-I forgot how moving those lyrics are!.  Jeff tore through Doin' That Rag, and The Eleven was deep and highlight-film worthy! [The whole band was magnificent with it].  Death Don't and Viola Lee are so in Jeff's wheelhouse!  I was standing next to Randi Mattson, and realized that she did not know the setlist either, and was also excited by their being played.  There was a moment in Viola, [yes, that moment], where Skip assumed Jeff would end the insane run of notes, but Jeff kept going and Skip found the complementary position to continue crescendoing [quite fun to watch!].  So, thanks, Dso, for playing a 1973 and a 1969 show lat night, and doing it so freaking well!]

• Forum MVP

first set was flat out good. no more no less. cool song selection although carried a bit slowly. 71-73. You win again through good lovin was pretty darn special. not sure I've ever heard a first set he's gone.

second set. wow. dancin fucking crushed. cried during attics. I don't even know what to say about the rest. mind blown.

those hoping for a 80s dance party (and who doesn't love those) might have been disappointed. But anyone into the greasy old blues stuff was in orbit. I loved it.  Hurts Me Too> He's Gone > Good Lovin' was an intensely emotional jam for me on several personal levels, which you could read on my blog if I had one.... And fourth quarter Lovelight >>>>>> on was fantastic. ... .  Somewhere in there, start of second set ???? was an "I'm a Little Teapot" Jam... which I killed on the dance floor with the spigot > handle pour......  DOS at the Peak is guaranteed good time.

finally have a second to review. I knew it would be a great night with hcs opener ~beautiful!the the night was a nice mix of earlier dead. first set left me spiritually filled and physically exhausted, always a sign of hitting it right. I love the laid back style and knowing 2nd set would be on fire. William tell eleven pushing my joints pass physical capabilities. the harmonies on attics left nothing to be desired.... I just couldn't get it back together for the powerful lovelight and did the tai chi absorption of the music pg talked about in an earlier post while watching friends let all their lovelight flow. only thing I would wish for different is to have experienced attics with the quality sound system of the Palace.

Archived