My home in Norfolk Virginia (Norva)

smoseywales

Great "roll your own show" with a real treat encore of White Rabbit!

Started looking like a 1977 vintage until Russian Lullaby. The band was really tight and having fun.

here's my take and please correct my failings:

I

Cold Rain and Snow

Passenger

Dire Wolf

Used to Love her

Stagger Lee (Mrs. delyon's lament)

Cassidy

Russian Lullaby

Some of Tom Thumb's Blues--sung by bass player--outstanding

Music Never Stopped

II

Eyes of the world

Sunrise

St. Stephen

Not Fade Away

Drums--and really good

Wheel

???

St. Stephen and a jam of teasers from other songs

Terrapin Station--which I usually don't care for but this one was great

Not Fade Away

Encore

Run Run Rudolph

White Rabbit

• Forum MVP

Great "roll your own show" with a real treat encore of White Rabbit!

Started looking like a 1977 vintage until Russian Lullaby. The band was really tight and having fun.

here's my take and please correct my failings:

I

Cold Rain and Snow

Passenger

Dire Wolf

Used to Love her

Stagger Lee (Mrs. delyon's lament)

Cassidy

Russian Lullaby

Some of Tom Thumb's Blues--sung by bass player--outstanding

Music Never Stopped

II

Eyes of the world

Sunrise

St. Stephen

Not Fade Away

Drums--and really good

Wheel

???

St. Stephen and a jam of teasers from other songs

Terrapin Station--which I usually don't care for but this one was great

Not Fade Away

Encore

Run Run Rudolph

White Rabbit

??? After Wheel was: Comes A Time

I mentioned in an earlier post that I took an extended break from listening to the Grateful Dead. While I was away traveling South America, I was inspired to start listening to the music again. A familiar passion was instantly reignited. I decided to end my travels a couple weeks early to catch these shows. At this show, I got exactly what I came all this way for. It became ever so clear to me after this show why I think this music is so special.

A legacy is carved into history by the power of a beautiful mind. The Grateful Dead is eternal because the beauty of the music is so innate to life that regardless of where you were born, whatever culture or time you came from, it will bring you to your knees and weep by the might of its overwhelming joy. You never know when everything in your life will fall apart right before your very eyes. And when you see darkness all around you, it is hard not to focus your mind on only that. . It is the beauty of all great art. To remind you that you are never alone. To give someone hope and remind them of the light when they are in such deep anguish that they know nothing else but pain. Always be grateful when you are not in positions like this in life, because you will never know when you will find yourself in them. But when you see a friend who is in deep emotional pain, I know no gift in the world that is more beautiful and simple than to give that person your love and kindness. Only they can pull themselves out of their darkness, but you can always be there to remind them of the light. That is why the Grateful Dead is special.

This post is for someone I love and care for deeply. Someone who is in such a position in life right now that they are surrounded by nothing but darkness. When I witness this friend's suffering, I cannot help but see how unbearably painful life is for them. It makes me feel awful inside just to witness it. So I stand here with burning conviction to remind this person of that light, just as I too was reminded on this very night... I know no gift that is more beautiful and simple than that

• Forum MVP

Mike that was beautiful.  It always amazes me how much just giving a listening ear and looking a friend in the eye and telling them that you love them can help them find more strength.  Clearly only one individual can truly build the self necessary to let the love light shine but just about all humans have a shared connection through knowing pain and everyone can use more love.  Sometimes people simply forget how loved they truly are. 

When my dad died, one member of the Dark Star Orchestra took the time share his condolences with me at the next show we crossed paths. It was amazing to know that at least one person that plays this music in my favorite band and endless story book of my life truly cared and wanted to help me see the light during my darkest time.  Many other members of this community did the same.  

I know who you are talking about and made sure to tell him that I love him.  

Some come to make it just one more day...

• Forum MVP

Its been several years now since i hopped on the DSO bus.  Blown away by DSO's quality, and the band's obvious ability to channel the most moving music ever produced, I came to these forums to express my love and my rekindled passion for this music.  Many of you opened up to me immidately,  Some of you ignored me, while some others continued to challenge me.  I opened up about my personal life, somehow thinking I would remain anonomous amoung you all.  I used this forum as a personal means of letting out what i hide in most of my daliy life.

Some how,  i fell in love with many in this community.  Many of you, those who opened up, those who ignored, and those who challegned me, are now those people I call best friends, but on a level that is so beautiful, I am left at times wondering how I got so lucky.

I dont post much any more, I have choosen to crawl into a darkness with seeminly no way out.  I dont connect as much with the friends I have made, and have found isolation to be more comfortable.  For the past years, I have been in a steady decline.  For the past 6 months, I am suprise that I am still alive.  Silence overwhelms me, and at no point in my life have I ever felt so alone.  I am not sure if my wounds will ever heal, or if I am meant to live a long life, and I dont even care.  Selfish of me, I have children, young, beautiful, and they love me as much as I love them.  But, they are now removed, and to see them, it takes having to deal with her,  She seems to enjoy watching my slow demise, and offers painful jabs anytime she can, but i still pledge my love, and I still get constantly rejected.

I am helpless, and have basically lost everything I ever wanted out of life.  Perhaps not lost, but well removed, along with constant reminders of what I no longer have.

I wrtie this, not because I want to.  As a matter of fact, I dont want to share this, but I am sharing because for the first time in a very long time, I smiled, I laughed, I felt safe, secure, and most of all loved and carred for.  From 930 to Norfolk, my hometown, i got to spend time with some very beautiful people, and got to share with these people very beautiful music.  I had a lot of help seeing both 930 and then NORVA.  If it was not for the quality friends I have been lucky enough to meet and grow with over the years, I would not of got the powerhouse house music we got last night!!!!!

It was one of those shows that made you feel, made you want to live, and to encourage a sad soul to again find happiness.  The music was top notch.  I have not seen 500 shows, but I am at least 50 now, and this show at norva was top 5 for me.   We had dance space everywhere,, and the three of us shared enough energy that we had non dancers dancing by the third song!!!! 

how appropriate they start with cold rain.......bitter sweet, but the music just kept pouring out like some mystical fog that swept through our bodies and out of our feet.  I have not felt special in a long time, but I felt special last night,  I was proud of the company I kept, and very grateful that these people have accepted me for who i am.  The good and bad......I really feel free and unrestrained with you guys, and I can never thank you enough for your kind energy. 

From the bottom of my heart, thank you DSO for bringing me the stability, the comfort, and the beauty of the music, while connecting me with truley carring, unique, and special people that will always have a place in my heart!!

Not your normal review, but we are the music, we are the passion, and it is in this community that I have found the good souls that have helped me connect even more to this musical phenomon. 

absolutley breath taking

Thank you for the kind rays of light, you are part of why my wheels have kept moving, and for that, I am truly grateful. Though I forget about the love we bring, I was well reminded this weekend

ps.  the backpack thing, uh.......very very very very very very sorry.  Between peeing in the sink, and falling asleep on the toliet, you could say I was not all there, and I appreciate you not making me feel like a complete jackass about it.  Safe travels to you all, and a biilion thanks!!!  This was my Christmas!!!!

• Forum MVP

I love you brother.  No worries on the backpack all has been resolved and you guys made the show on time.  Im not sure after the night we had any of us except maybe Mango was really all there.  I don't think I'm all there yet.  I caught 5 hours on the airplane.  I don't remember the stop no plane change in Chicago.  I just came to in Denver.  Wish I could have shared the space with you guys at the Norva.  

• Forum MVP

I wonder what camp I'm in.  I tried to ignore Sun.  I also feel I tried to challenge him.  If you are an active member of this board, you know I open up and spill out my heart from time to time.  The first time I saw Sun dance I could see the goodness and the light that sometimes hides deep within all of our souls just pouring out.  I knew he was one of us.  He needed this music more than anything in the world.  I still get an incredible feeling from watching him dance.  I hope you know that you are my friend and brother.  

I love reading these post. I wish I could have made it. Great post cosmic I am Happy you are back safe and will call you in a few days. Makes me think of darkest days of my life... I had no idea what blessings arises from the ashes. Love ya Rick. I remember posting about all dreams gone many years ago and the outpouring of love then and now (w physical shit) was is heartwarming. Sorry I missed the increasingly rare appearance of east coast mango. SUNNY love you brother.I was one that stayed back and watched you and I think our first interaction was at this venue a few years ago. Left me wondering why I didn't let you into my world sooner. I hope you didn't pee in the sink that night. I usually wash my feet in the sink then wash out the sink afterwards- I better start washing it before and after. Sunny the most important thing I learned in life is that MY ACTIONS TODAY WILL DICTATE MY REALITY OF TOMORROW! Well for the most part~ sometimes shit just happens. Sunny will you please answer the phone when I call ~908 number not Bill collector. Seems I never get hold of you. love you guys and Wil see y'all in Fla.

• Forum MVP

Love you Sunny. That was some of the best dancing ever. Seriously. Really just you me and Mike, and our audience of course ;)

Hey man I hear that the circumstances of your life are extremely tough right now. All you can do is get up each day and choose to enjoy life as much as you can. We have the choice. It's ok to let go of what you thought your life was....truly, we can't control our lives or make them into exactly what we want. It's been said that the only constant in the universe is change. You gotta roll with it. Sun, my friend, you have the seed of real happiness in you, I see it for sure. Get yourself out in nature, exercise. Get some damn sleep! Take care of yourself man, you deserve it. Hope to see you real soon. Be well.

• Forum MVP

One thing that stood out to me in your post Sun was that feeling of being safe and secure.  The level of acceptance and love I've received from this community is immeasurable and unparalleled.  It is the only place I feel I can truly be myself.  Unrestrained.  I can't be happy without visiting that place where I can be myself regularly and express myself not with words but through dance.  I would definitely encourage you Sun to catch some more shows and have your cup filled more often.  I understand that life circumstances - jobs, money, family, and others - often prevent this for others and possibly you.  On the other hand, I also have fully accepted that I need to have my cup filled a lot and I think many others share that sentiment to one degree or another.  So I hope to see you out again soon.  

• Forum MVP

Tough to add much more than what has been put forth here and with a truth and eloquence that I probably could never articulate. 

Sun - you are truly loved buddy.  I've walked in similar shoes for a stretch of your journey but can't begin to know the level of pain and helplessness that you've felt for some time.  You might feel cast adrift with no shore and the thought that it might be awhile before you can call where you are 'home' - both literally and figuratively.

You always have a home-base here though.  You are a special man with so much wisdom about life and an obvious willingness to accept people for who they are.  Not only accept them, but an strong desire to help them no matter your own challenges of life.  You wear your heart on your sleeve and that just where it belongs.

One of the things that makes me feel like I'm home is when I see you dance to DSO.  It is a physical embodiment of the pure joy that this music brings to all of us.  I know there's a few of you folks that can full-on get down but it's there's something about your boogie that is hard to fully describe....Wait.....no it's not hard to describe.  Pure spirit.

Peace to you brother.  I just know that the dark and jagged path will flatten out and you will make your pace strongly forward.  Hope we can take a spin around the Carolinas together!  It's ALWAYS a better show when you're there.

• Forum MVP

Hope to see you in Carolina in February sunny!!! Wish we could get that suite in Richmond again and have a blast for a few days but it's not in the cards this year.

And if anyone is looking for a cool ass hotel for Richmond the commonwealth park suites is 3 blocks from the venue and has a huge suite area. we had 8 sleeping there no prob with a few more that just came to hang. I definitely recommend that place plus it's only $150 a night. :)

• Forum MVP

Sunny, you have such a big heart! I am glad you share it here and through the ecstasy of the dance. It is healing for sure. These sweet souls that are your children will grow and learn what the light and love looks like. It may not be easy but the light shines brightest in the darkness. I pray for strength and patience for you on this journey. Be gentle with yourself and obviously there are many who love you.

Amazing show! Every song took precedence with raging jams and the crisp clarity of changes dripped with emotion. The band seemed to be having a blast but the crowd was losing their minds, some more figuratively than others. I was so glad to see all the passion in the audience.

Ok so ..

Sick Cold Rain and Passenger, started us off getting down!.. Dancey Dyre Wolf and a Lovely Russian Lullaby, absolutely love anytime skip sings and then a rock out Music to close the set. I needed the breather and some space as the front row was getting weirder with the passing songs...

Following a relaxing amusing set break, a slammin second set complete with Eyes and Terrain Flier which in my opinion is probably one of the coolest pieces of music to exist. But from somewhere in the middle of the wheel or st Stephen the floor just gave way to ample dance space and strangers started shakin hands. By encore we were all having so much fun, run Rudolph was a rockin choice and thank you Lisa for helping me maintain clarity of purpose and finishing us up with a White Rabbit. Ahhhh and the crowd went crazy. A light flicker back to darkness after the band had left the stage had a few of us whipping around for one more, but the band was packing to leave, soon we'd all be left to consider, were they ever here at all?

• Forum MVP

Is apologies to your wife and going back to her and your young children so they have a father in there life raising them an option ? .. you choose them for a reason correct

this music should be an outlet not a be all ...

this board will have peoplegiving and saying kind words ... but sometimes we need to be kicked in the ass and told things we dont want to hear ..

I went to Vegas 2 months ago and went on a solid 3 day bender .. had Chuck Pete and Rick as support .. but I just needed 3 days of tuning out .. then back to reality back to work back to helping others ..

we are friends Sun .. always a smile when your around us and the music .. which is just 4 hours here and there .. why not a smile then in other aspects of life ?

my 2 cents

• Forum MVP

Sunny, I will NEVER forget the day we met! I love you brother! I am glad you found DSO family cause I know we have carried some darkness and I know we have held each other and witnessed the pain time and time again. It is almost impossible for me to go to shows over the last few years without dear heart friends needing to talk about what they have been thru- it's hardly ever pretty, mostly heartbreaking to the core. Sometimes they don't come around for a while- but we all come back, just like you did. We miss you when u are gone, but we are that much happier when we see you at the show smiling despite the heavy, lonely loaded road.

At least we have this music and we have each other. It might not be much to some, but for some of us it is all we have and it is ALWAYS enough :)

Exes usually cannot be happy for each other and more often they pray for the others demise. It is a socially created game of pain. You don't have to play. Everything is workable, nothing is hopeless. Everything changes so don't worry so much about the moment of pain- by the time u notice it is closer to being over.

I'm just a dumb unicorn- but I know u r loved more than words can tell! Kiss kiss!

• Forum MVP

My last experience at the Norva was terrible but at this point I've realized that it was just me. Last night of a 5 night run, poor financial planning, etc...

....This time around it was different. Going to Norfolk was not in my plans, had a flight booked for early that morning. Let's just say that some circumstances arose that made it so I pretty much had to stay one more day. I paid a pretty penny for the new flight but it certainly felt right. I don't know, maybe I had so much fun friday night at the 930 Club that I needed more...to complete the 3 night run.

We had some trouble waking out friend to leave for the Norva. First he got up and pee'd in the sink. Then he fell asleep on the toilet. We let him rest there for 10 minutes or so (I don't know how he stayed upright) and I decided that we'd best get on the road and that he could sleep in the car. He had the look of a rabid animal when I first woke him and it wasn't easy but we managed to get his shoes on him and out the door. Alright, doing good right on time! Until....oh wait, an hour away we discover that someone in our crew(might have been the guy who pee'd in the sink) grabbed our friend's backpack. brilliant. So we wait an hour for him to drive to us (thank you). Internally I'm freaking out a bit as I really don't want to be late to the show and had put in all the effort to get us out the door. Additionally, on the way to the show my gps started showing that there was some major accident and we were going to be an extra hour late. Ahhhh!!! In the end it cleared before we got there , I walked in the venue right as the band was coming on stage (right after getting yelled at by some jesus freaks outside the venue).

And the fun commenced! Love the balcony, so much space. Sound is good everywhere in the venue. Got my Russian Lullaby. I don't expect anyone to understand my love for that song...I just love it! And this version was my favorite ever. Thank you Jeff Mattson and Rob Barraco! Masterful working of the tune. Music never stopped was totally off the hook, raging but tight.

Second set was amazing all the way through. Always love Eyes. Comes a time...and was hoping to see the Terrapin Flyer for awhile now. 

Totally worth the trip. Awesome time dancing to awesome music with awesome friends. I'm in Awe!!!

Archived