JK article in the Marin IJ

John A

• Forum MVP

Article comes complete with a vintage shot of DSO.

I have trouble believing that John meant this quote to come off quite as it reads, because it carries a tinge of "I wasted 13 years stunting my musical growth".

We went from a Tuesday night house band at a club in Chicago to touring the whole country within 18 months,” he recalls. “The Dark Star Orchestra (DSO) wasn’t something I did to start a business. It was something I did for fun. But it ended up causing me to put my artistic life on hold for 13 years.

http://www.marinij.com/arts-and-entertainment/20160114/paul-liberatores-lib-at-large-no-longer-a-jerry-garcia-clone-john-kadlecik-happy-being-himself

• Forum MVP

Whatever. I still think he sounded better 5 years ago than now. Just my opinion.

Edit: reflecting on this statement it seems a little harsh. Guy should be allowed to be and play the way that makes him feel good. And frankly I've hardly kept up with him in the last few years to even know how he sounds. Missed his show the other night locally due to some family logistics. I love John. He changed my life in a big a way and helped usher me (along with the rest of the band) into the land of the Dead.

• Forum MVP

I'm just grateful that I got to see DSO with John so many times......maybe 25.

It's too bad that he feels that the band stifled him. I've seen the JK Band a few times in the DC area, and I frankly get bored because I perceive that his playing has lost adventure, edge and intensity. He really ripped it up when he was in DSO......it was awesome to witness.

• Forum MVP

I'm just grateful that I got to see DSO with John so many times......maybe 25.

I perceive that his playing has lost adventure, edge and intensity. He really ripped it up when he was in DSO......it

He can still bring it but I feel like he plays it safe too often.

I saw him last month and it was good - he was playing well. More than a few times he was really gettin it cranked up to the level I like it at and then we wind in down a peg or 2.

I love JK and always will since I found my lost music through him. That said: Like most people, he's a tad afraid of runaway freight-trains.

DSO now seems like they'd all race to jump on one rather than avoid it.

• Forum MVP

I love JK , but not that high horse he climbed up on ... that quote sounds like Phil and Bob whispering in his ear for 5 years in during  Furthur , but as Aaron sais , " whatever" ... Going to see him next month at the Warfield in SF with the JGB , hoping he brings on the JERRY ,,,  and fuck that article lol ...

• Forum MVP

the only reason I wasted my time posting on this thread is because someone wasted there time posting this article ...

Nothing quite like good 'ol Matt in Angry Teacher mode. I will attempt to not offend your sensibilities in future postings. 

• Forum MVP

He probably doesn't realize that his band (Dso) is taking the music to places that he was unable to drive to.

Unable and Unwilling. He flat out refused to play certain songs. But if you wanted to hear Touch or Liberty he's your guy. I saw JK play lots and lots of shows with DSO. IMO he can't sniff Mattson's jockstrap. The band has climbed to new heights without him. He left them high, and dry. I'm not saying anybody else wouldn't have jumped at that oppurtunity, but they would have jumped with class. He's like school on Sunday. 

• Forum MVP

I'm too new so only know Mattson at the lead. Having seen Jeff tear it up, it's hard to imagine anyone else at the Jerry spot. I've listened to some JK DSO and the vocals are spot on but Jeff is just heads above everyone else replicating that Jerry sound. I think jk does an amazing job of the light Jerry noodling, but once u get to the insanely technical parts no one currently can do what Mattson does. On another funny note I saw some forums where people were talking about the dead and they were all saying how great JM was. I made a comment saying I agree that Jeff is the most talented Jerry guitarist there is. They were like umm who? I'm talking about John Mayer. I was like ugh.

• Forum MVP

I know that JK show at the Rams Head is regarded by some as the " Holy Grail " of DSO shows. I can name 5 shows that I attended with Jeff on lead, off the top of my head that would make that show look like childs play. It's a whole different ball game with Jeff. And as much as I loved Kevin, Skip is just on another level. That surely factors in.

• Forum MVP

I try not worry about politics and personal relationships. I do not want to presume to know how and why a man acts because I've never walked in their shoes. I've had my finer moments in life and I've certainly had my lesser. All I can speak on is the impact jk and dso had on my life. They were the catalyst for me joining this community and getting to know this music. I still believe the music they made together was truly great. He is a great guitar player and jerry vocalist. I'm not much for the comparisons but nothing about dso has changed since his departure. They continue to deliver the truest representation of the sound and feel of this music. They continue to get better tour after tour. They still play consistently great shows night in and night out. DSO is the best they've ever been.

jk was a master at copying Jerry. if gd was a copy of themselves they would not have lasted 30 years. jm and the rest of dso are masters at copying the essence of what the dead were about, bringing the music where it has never been before. Always out doing themselves. Better than Ever!!!

To imply that DSO did not have Transcendent shows with JK,  and  that the Band is vastly superior without him is completely ridiculous in my opinon.  I have seen mind bending shows with both JM and JK...but more of the mind benders during the JK years.  Just my opinion.  Perhaps there is no love lost , and maybe the guy rubs people the wrong way. I have no idea and I am not an insider.  But that certainly does not take away the fact  that he co-founded the Band, was a key ingredient in the success thereof,  and was and is an absolute monster of a player. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

jk is a great musician~ coming from a non musician. some people prefer hamburger over meatloaf. There is only so much you can do with hamburger, I prefer meatloaf where the possibilities are endless. it all comes down to what you prefer...

• Forum MVP

To imply that DSO did not have Transcendent shows with JK,  and  that the Band is vastly superior without him is completely ridiculous in my opinon.  I have seen mind bending shows with both JM and JK...but more of the mind benders during the JK years.  Just my opinion.  Perhaps there is no love lost , and maybe the guy rubs people the wrong way. I have no idea and I am not an insider.  But that certainly does not take away the fact  that he co-founded the Band, was a key ingredient in the success thereof,  and was and is an absolute monster of a player. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

Like I posted earlier, I'm just grateful that I have gotten to see DSO with both JK & JM so many times. They are both fairly brilliant at their craft, in my opinion.

Cherish this while it lasts.....nothing is permanent.

• Forum MVP

so maybe it's not a checkmate as a DSO touring hall of famer needed to remind me. I overindulge in absolutes as anyone who has ever debated me politically knows. I love Jerry's voice. If I want to cry I can put on like a road and listen to Jerry drip emotion as I "what if" my life. But at a show if I have to choose between musical quality or vocal I'll go with musical. Jeff may almost blow out his vocal chords trying to hit the falsetto in doin that rag with his deep voice, but the precision playing with elite speed and total control he achieves is just breathtaking to me.

• Forum MVP

I have been blessed to see both numerous times. JK was obviously very strong with the Jerry ballads and Jeff is strong on the early stuff. Likewise, Scott was brilliant doing the Brent era and RB is great with the Keith era. 

I do find it interesting that most on here think that the band is the best it's ever been now (and I don't disagree), usually there is a lot of nostalgia for the old days. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived