space

saint

world to give

iko iko

sugar mag---sunshine daydream

encore----- JGB Jam "to be announced"

Mighty Quinn

• Forum MVP

Sorry, for some reason---my set list post did not come up the way I typed it. Sort of hard to read, but its most of the show. I am sure I missed a song or a order, but it was a original kick ass show.

There were so many high points in the music tonight. Lisa's Strange Man was fucking awesome. She has vocals that make our hearts melt. She has such a beautiful smile, and a gracious thanks. We were thankful for the treat!!!

This review is going to be honest. It might not read well with some, but its absolute truth!!!!

The show tonight was awesome. Through and through. I a great dancer, but....NO FUCKING DANCE SPACE!!!!

I finally found some in the bathroom hallway. This was the first show I actually nearly lost it. ASHVILLE, YOU ARE LOUD, IF YOU DRESSED LESS HIPPY, AND ACTUALLY COME TO THE SHOW TO DIG THE MUSIC RATHER THAN HAVE CONTEST ON WHO CAN LOOK MORE HIPPY, whose dreads grew longer, and what patch you have on your shirt. GO THERE TO DANCE AND LISTEN TO THE MUSIC!!!! YOU TALKED...YOU STOOD IN THE SAME PLACE WHILE OTHERS JUST WALKED AROUND SOCIALLIZING.

I will never go back to this venue. I will never go back to this venue. It was sad, the music was so good tonight, but no ability to express it. This place makes 930 like a outside venue. IT SUCKED.

Yes, I got to the hallway, behind a wall from the music to get something that would allow a decent dance.

The staff took me aside tonight. Literally. Took me in the back room, asked me a series of questions. My drug use, during or before show, my alcohol intake, and if I am doing alright?

Drank no beer tonight at show. Was not worth going to the bar, to big of lines. They were concerned I was sweating so much? Really? Sweating to much. They were cool, and I appreciate people looking out for me, but their concern was because I finally had some space to dance, and I exploited it. Perhaps they were not people actually dancing. Did you see the set list? Yep I danced, and danced hard!!!!

Security brought me water several times. I thought was cool!!!! Still, do I look like this is my first rodeo?

Still.....I love Blk Mountain...super cool people there. Orange peel pat downs, drunk red necks, hippy fashion talkers (fake), and a horrible venue.

People were was less than nice at many moments and to several different friends and to myself.

I love this music, and loved the music tonight; however, the atmosphere, the venue, and many of the people made tonight painfully sweet. It was really frustrating, and for such a great town, Ashville/The Orange Peel really disappointed me!!!

Love DSO, and they threw it down tonight. Sorry my other words distract from the jams they got going tonight!!!!

BUT......I wont go back to this venue-----DSO HAS WAY OUTGROWN THE ORANGE PEEL!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

I had a rough time my last trip to the Orange Peel. Pompano Beach was where it was at. Love to do 2 nights there.

I won't ever say I won't be back to a venue. I treasure every night on tour even when the space or my legs don't cooperate. I find potential for personal growth when confronted with frustration. On the other hand, I definitely won't force the issue to go to Orange Peel again. Place does suck. Hopefully, DSO can find a bigger space to play. I'm sure the music was rocking.

• Forum MVP

What a way to start a tour. Sick set list and DSO played like they were angry with their instruments. Some of the most aggressive, hard rockin dead I've ever heard. Sunshine daydream is generally a happy feel good finisher. It was aggressive as shit. I half expected them to smash their guitars after they finished it. Several other songs were played with a serious aggression. I absolutely loved that show. That 2nd set was magic. Just played a few minutes of sugar nags and transitioned to Scarlett so the reprise ar the end was actually a sugar mags reprise not a standard sunshine daydream.

After doing the tea for Texas minglewood knew it had to be late 70s and the duprees with Lisa let us know early it was an original. What's funny is even with so many roads, Lisa singing and all completely original design, people in the audience were still trying to figure the year. Sardine can but the sound was stellar and 2nd set finally found room to move. Great time with great folks. see u innraleigh

• Forum MVP

You are right in many ways, Sunny ! I've seen shows since 2008 at the Orange Peel. It has gotten more and more chaotic. I wouldn't go it alone or with just another because you get moved over, mowed down and run into. There was a gray haired man with a stealie hat during INTERMISSION who was guilty of hit and run. Very disappointing. I got beaned. The three times last night included I have been to see DSO I had these experiences. Up front was nice to settle in near the stage for small dance space and there was no talking or loitering. However I don't like being up front and find myself there usually at a friend's request. The second show was that 1969 burner where it was freaking freezing and the crowd was smaller. I went close to the VIP area and melted. We found the fellas under the big ass fan and had a freaking awesome time !!!! Last night was MUCH tighter but all of us together created space and I found myself politely asking the standees to step into open space to open up the room because their awareness wasn't there. I went to the back corner and danced hard to LIG and Deal. Yeah most thought I was on something because I dance. I had a porter and 1/2 orange peel IPA at Wicked Weed and that was it other than water. There are some serious addicts in Ashevillle and unfortunately dancing for joy is seen unnatural. Bleh.

• Forum MVP

The music !

Minglewood had some nice slide work and lead was turned up a little loud but that was corrected nicely. DDN is fun fun and began to cue us that it wasn't a late seventies but in the style of. I can't say anything nice about Queen Jane - Rudy I do love Dylan ! 99% of it. Strange Man was as powerful as any song I have ever heard. Really lovely. I love Loose Lucy yo-yo and string- just bopping. No piano jam but straight to lead during the jam. Rob B would hammer out those piano keys later though ! So Many Roads- whoa daddy! Jeff's voice was commanding as Lisa's and he needed no backup. Lazy Lightning had a spacious twirly space like starry nights. And the band threw it into 5th and put the hammer down for LIG. Funny I was saying the LIG was better than Deal (if we had to end the set there ) to a fellow hallway dancer and then it hit lol. High fiving

Fun second set !! Iko Iko had a hardcore piano boogie jam. It was epic !! Drums had more variety of jams matriculating to the surface than in Athens. I REALLY liked the Asian/Indian spice in one segment. Lost/Sailor is always, always solid. The ending of IIHTWTG- wow !!! Serious rock n roll. I inwardly yelled out "play something psychedelic" and that encore brought it down !!

I live in NC & have seen (2) shows at the peel & DSO has definitely outgrown that place...don't be too hard on the "hippies" in Asheville, there are a lot of great folks that live up there (I am in Charlotte), DSO just is SO popular in Asheville, that again the Peel just isn't big enough anymore...come back this summer & go to Pisgah in Black Mountain, it may be the best venue I have been to for a DSO show

BTW...caught them in Athens earlier this week...what a rockin show, best I have seen...a cold dreary Monday night with a really good crowd, but not sold out & they still brought a ton of energy & played many of my favs....dark star was just sick....

PS: To DSO...a summertime show in Wilmington NC as a run up to Black Mountain would be great (I really like the outdoor venue you usually play at in Wilmington(even if curfew issues cause the show to start early) & a summertime show on the NC coast is always great!

Can't attend any shows this weekend (work) so everyone have fun in Raleigh & Charlotte (the Fillmore in downtown CLT is a great place as well..

I agree w/you sunny, DSO has definitely outgrown the Peel. There was no good room to dance anywhere w/out getting bumped into, slammed into on several occasions, and once somebody just pushed me so hard I nearly landed on my ass. It still was good on some accords though. I met some new people as always, and the band was definitely on fire (imagine that, haha). I'll be seeing you, rude and the rest of the gang at Raleigh tonight and Charlotte tomorrow. You asked me on the smoking porch if I ever posted on the forums and I told ya rarely, more of a lurker, well here I am :) Btw, missed seeing you mason, it's always good to see you and I was hoping I could fill you in on my son's and mine last night in Jamacia experience, it was hysterical. Anyways, tales for another time.

• Forum MVP

I, on the otherhand, LOVED the show and was my favorite of the tour....it was super tight but I was in front of right speaker with some amazing people. I will be back! Granola central!!

They brought it for sure. Really couldn't have asked for a better set list. World to give has such an amazing solo. I could also hear so many roads at every show. Love that late dead song. We were saying that song could have easily been written in 71 and you wouldn't have a clue it was actually a 92 song. Was hunters last great dead collaboration.

And finishing 1st set with LIG/deal. Wow. Besides loose Lucy being a smoothed out groove everything else just rocked hard.

• Forum MVP

Great show, really great in fact !

Monster energy by the band, excellent flow for an elective. While the peel is not the place to spread your wings, I carved out enough space for the music to take me where I wanted to go!

Very aggressive playing by the band - Second set was sublime from start to finish!

Couldn't ask for better company! Very happy camper today - ready for Raleigh :)

• Forum MVP

I might of been a bit harsh, but my account was true. Again, the music is what created most of the frustriation. It was so good, but..... I said my peace.

In retrospect, I should of used the time to tried to turn the experience into a positive experience of growth. I eventually did, but it took finding the bathroom hallway.

I loved the people I was with, and I love locals. Many of which I have known for years now. I frequent Pisgah/Black Mountain. I know good people in Ashville. I have family close by. I enjoy the town, and the community, but....

I failed in personal growth. I think I crossed a line at one time, and I ran away. My personal weakness. When the music is this good, you cant contain what energies build up. And that's my choice.....choose..... never Orange Peel. Go BIG DSO,,, and always Blk Mountain.. That place brings out the best of the area!!!

Love yall.....

• Forum MVP

That termite mound was humpin' last night! I had a close call with one of the most dangerous creatures a deadhead can come across.... The drunk redneck. I backed away slowly and everything worked out.... Holy shit drunk rednecks are scary.

Are you referring to the guy who spilled his stale beer all over us as he ran from security? That guy was a douche.

Archived