Louisville

Rude

• Forum MVP

Bucket > 1/2 Step, Mama Tried > Big River, It Hurts Me Too, Ramble On Rose, Keep On Growin, Pos 4th St, Box.

Dancin

After midnight

Playin>

terrapin (whole suite)>

D/S>

Gimme some lovin>

Playin>

Standin>

Round n round

E: golden road

Brilliant!!!

1st after midnight for me and JJ Cale never envisioned it being blown out like that. It set the fufking joint on fire!!!!! After that the crowd was committed 100% to rockin out. Took Louisville a while but they came along after that ridiculous after midnight. That needs to be put in the rotation for sure!!!!!!!

Hard for me to imagine much better setlist than this.

• Forum MVP

That was the 1st after midnight in a non JGB setlist since 12-3-12 then was 2010 b4 that. We got a rare one. That song completely changed the crowd. It was tame b4 that.

Please please play that more. What a spectacular version. I've heard several JGB versions and that was so unique. You guys are so creative and don't get the credit you deserve. Sooooo glad I made this show. 100 miles from home now texting and driving and I've been beaming with joy the whole ride home so far. Can't believe I almost didn't see this show. Every time that I say I'm cutting down on shows I do more. 4th show down in my 7 show run. Can't wait to see what you are cooking up in your lab for the next shows!!!

So glad I happened to see that music rag on a stand in Chicago in 2011 talking about a band recreating the dead and decided to check u guys out. If I didn't happen to pick that up, I'd have never met all the amazing people that I now call great friends as well as all the great times I'd have missed out on!!!!

• Forum MVP

Dancin always sets the bowling pins up for a strike in my book. After Midnight - the King Pin- I bet. One of those tunes that makes your heart smile and totally inspires rowdiness haha.

So a double cheeseburger playing sandwich followed. I bet hearts caught fire. Just in time for the Standing on the Moon slow burn.

• Forum MVP

I took my boys 16 yr old friend to his first show last night. Pretty sure he had a blast. Casual dead fan but rode the rail with the boys all night and the hippie girls in the front took to him like a horse to water. I was cracking up whole 2nd set.

Also of note the 4th street was freaking beautiful and golden road was a rockin closer

The Mercury Ballroom is a very modern music hall with wonderful acoustics and excellent site lines. Both original sets were an absolute treat to hear. My only criticism was Matson's vocals sounded a little weak and tired. I was also surprised by how much he needed to look at his notes to remember lyrics. His guitar licks were sharp. He didn't look as fresh and healthy as the last time I saw him last year. He even sat down for five minutes in the first set. Please take care of your health, my brother. DSO shows are always a lot of fun. We are lucky to have these fine musicians still playing the greatest music ever created. They are a fabulous band.

• Forum MVP

Dylan songs are so hard to remember. I know he used lyrics during positively 4th street, but how many people know Dylan word for word while improvising on guitar. That's the hard thing. He has to go out there in his head on jams then has to come back and remember the verse. Dylan's lyrics also are not easy to figure out if you forget them as the words he used are not the ones you would guess. Plus DSO goes on tour with literally 150-200 songs. Jamming out then remembering what you had just sung or what was upcoming is a ridiculous task. The only time his voice sounded hoarse at all was during standing on the moon. I thought he was stellar throughout!!!!! I'm still waiting to hear Eaton do Desolation Row. Now that's a freaking doozie to remember!!!!

• Forum MVP

Awesome ride on the bus...first since Black Mountain...as good as it looks and described...these guys somehow take continual improvement to levels many CEO's would deem unachievable.

Was on rail right in front of Jeff...did notice he had to use chair once as noted above. Other than that...I did not see anything but his usual great guitar work and soulful vocals.

Let's see I have seen 1 show in 6 months and am horse as hell and find myself too needing a seat now and then...even during a set. As Mick J would say...what a drag it is...

On a now humorous personal note...the high leaving the show came quickly crashing as I "lost" a friend of mine who was at first DSO show.

16 hours later I am glad to say I found him. Turns out he forgot his phone...dead in my car under seat which I did not see...walked to wrong Ford Explorer after show and passed out under tree next to it. I spent much of the day looking at police mugshots and compiling list of hospitals...(Louisville is noted for the number they have!)...He woke up spent rest of night with homeless guy (lots in Downtown) who took him to library where he called his sister (only # he remembered) and wound up back at my house just a few minutes ago.

I am now much relieved and gave him one hell of a scolding lol

Great show! First set highlights were Keep on Growing and Positively 4th street. Loved the jam in After Midnight during second set, and also the Playing, drums(too short!) and the jam out of space.

Also during the second set, someone touched a daughter of a guy next to me and he was upset about it. When I left the show, I found a guy next to my car, and he was complaining about being kicked out. I said, did they kick you out for touching a young lady? It was the dude!

See you in Cinci. Heads up- if you are in town early, hit up the Wunderbar- an awesome hole in the wall German Gastro Pub on lee street in Covington. The prices are cheap, bartenders rock, and the german handmade sausages, beer cheese, and even burgers are to die for.

Nice show at a new venue for me. The place is a little small, as we were in line outside, you could stare through the bar's glass windows and it was almost like we were inside already. Checked the coats for $2 (nice venue feature), got a few Goose Island IPA's for $8ea and then up to the balcony which was already pretty full and mostly reserved seating, so headed back down and somehow managed to get in center-ish but towards the back. I personally thought the Hurts Me Too was the highlight for the first set for me, though in some odd twist of fate, I actually enjoyed the Pos 4th St. Not saying to add it to the regular rotation, but I found the words were very clear and easy to understand. Second set, after the typical 1/2-hour break which is really killer (/sarcasm), Dancing in the Street opened from a running drum theme, and the best jam for me was Gimme Some Lovin' plus I had a full-on good time during Golden Road.

Leaving the venue was easy, as the parking garage is right behind the joint and easy to get to. Nice venue, a little small, nice balcony though mostly reserved, nice bar and good choice of beer, and the band kept playing on. Taking a break from St. Louis this year, and then see you in Cincinnati this weekend, which I remember from last year as being 100% capacity and was really cold outside at the time.

Archived