Chicago night 1

Rude

• Forum MVP

A part of me thinks MC is needling Rude. He has done it over his reviews before.

Probably fresh eyes and an open heart make for a great show while connecting with kindred spirit in a synergistic way. The songs do carry energy and how that energy transport you through time and space matters. I believe sound can be transformative and healing. It carries a signature deep within.

There was magic in the air that night 2 at Jubilee. Maybe it was in the stars.... I think too a wonderful group of powerfully loving individuals were supping together in a feast of heart songs and following their bliss. Anchoring that kind of real love does not fade away.

• Forum MVP

MC needles everyone, but is that not the beauty of his persona. Dont think Kerouac's On the Road was not created under some sort of "getting under the skin" by Neil!!!

To be challenged in life, even if the challenge is "Subjective" "Objective", makes us think about what we really feel and see inside. We live in a society that sees challenges as a negative aspect of our culture. I mean...look at the debates, though I wish it was more substantial than penis sizing; however, the fact remains.......Many of you have challenged me, and perhaps I have not always liked it at first, it has forced me to look deeper into my understanding of the music, and how I and many others connect to it.

Our lives and bodies are organic. Just as we all look different, different fingerprints, neural connections, soft teeth or hard teeth, our eyes, ears, and expressions should be considered the same.

However, What I do know, and feel strongly about my ability to prove through examples, is that the quality of the music performed is easily distinguishable as good, great, or awesome.

WHY DOES EVERYONE ON THESE FORUMS STILL REFER TO 2ND NIGHT JUBILEE? (Because we all witnessed what it feels like when DSO plays on a level that all of us levitate!!) Yes, there are outliers, anyone who took 101 stats understands bell curves. Its natural, and part of the human condition. The second Jubilee, my first, they played a 69. I love St. Stephen, my 1# song, and when DSO bust it out, god bless those around me!!! However, DSO did not perform that 69 show at 2nd Jubilee no where near what they did last Jubilee. Some can argue otherwise, but I know the majority of people who "FEEL" this music will agree with me!!! My confidence is not rooted in knowledge, nor is it born out of self confidence. Its a reality that individuals are organic, and individual experiences differ, BUT ANYONE, I MEAN ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY FEELS THIS MUSIC, KNOWS WHAT LEVEL THE BAND IS ON!!!

Rude knows this music much better than I do, so does MC. However, over the years, I have seen Rude transform from a rail rider, to a moving monster!!! I have seen several of you develop over the years with this music. The dance is the link between hearing and understanding the music, to a higher plane of consciousness. Rude now moves in a way that I know he is much deeper entrenched into musics feeling and spiritual connection. I liking it, though extreme, to those people who speak in Tongue. Though I think fallacious, I know when people get connected to the things that bring them closer to the Ethereal. I honestly belive I enjoy this music more than many others, and that I feel it more than others. Not challenging many on these boards, cause I also believe many of us are on the same level, but with different movement and expression. Nevertheless, after 2nd night jubilee, did you all not look around at the faces of those you know who truely understand this music? We all got it, we understood we just experienced a rarity. If you watched the band, they fucking knew it too!!!! Jeff, Eaton, Skip, I remember well, their smiles after a couple of serious jams. They knew it too......they knew they just blew the night sky away, and left a crowd in total awe!!!

Point being, everyone here can offer opinions, and argue over details. I read a post that mentioned about touring with serious "factual Dead Heads". I also understand how some things can enhance our appreciation of the music we hear. Believe me, I understand!!!! Its not about your knowledge, its not about enhancements, its about what sounds are produced, and the ability to feel it.

I am not a factual head, I dont dress like a dead head, short hair, usually wear a beanie because stress in my life causes alopecia. Other than time with my little ones, I never smile as much as I do at shows!!! However, some shows make me smile more than others. Setlist, I have learned, dont really matter any more. Some songs I have disliked for 20 years, DSO has made awesome for me!! Red Roster for one!!

One of the same post I have mentioned stated about how everyone on here talks about early shows, and that they did not really care for them!! When I toured GD, I never had access to good early music, nor did I get that level of musical production. 89 and 91 were my best years for live GD!! . I did not really start enjoying early GD until DSO!!!!! It was not until my body witnessed quality high level production of the early shows did I start getting into early GD. I really did not enjoy many of the early songs, I was not raised on them per say, but.........I appreciate high quality GD, and DSO at times produces GD music at a level that is not subjective, but absolutely objective!!!!!!!!

My final contention, as this topic has kept me up tonight, it is easy to determine the level and quality of music DSO produces on a giving night!! Yes, we may here a song we like, or year, or a show. The show in Wilmington, DE I mentioned. It was the least quality DSO performance I have witnessed. However, it was a Recreation from a Albany show that I took my best friend and cousin to in real life!!! We did not make the show, fucking counterfeit tickets, and years later I lost my best friend. I got to experience the show we missed, and it was undoubtedly the worst production I have witnessed with DSO. Still good show, but it lacked quality. Still, the fact they played that show, and I got to dance with my cousins spirit made the show very special to me. I cried post show for a good hour, but the experience makes it one of my favorite shows ever!!!! Would not trade last years 69 for the experience of that lesser quality show!!!

With all that said........I am not conceded, but the quality of my own work (real life) is and has been challenged. I am a perfectionist in my trades, for both good and bad. Nevertheless, I am very calculated in any criticisms of DSO, for more reasons than are immediately obvious. I know and many of you do as well, the level and quality of music being performed any given night. Last year's Jubilee 69 show, when it was done, I looked at all of you. I looked at the band, and everyone knew we just witnessed and experienced TOP SHELF PERFORMANCE!!!!! There was nothing subjective about the sweat, the smiles, the energy, and the music. To deny that is to deny reality!!!

Subjectivity exist, but when you let go, and let the music enter your soul, move your body, and think about life, you can tell which days of music is more powerful than others, and its not based on set list, friends, venue, or enhancements, its all based on the production of music.

Ironically, as much energy as I just spent in this rambled post, arguing that music quality is not subjective, my opinion is, but my opinion is often strengthen and validated with those that I know "Get It". I know Rude "Gets It", and I know Mason "Gets It"!!! Unfortunately, I think we often confuse the quality of music with our own egos and energy vested into actually getting to see the music!!!

All that being said......I love this community, and I really have a love for so many of you, that any show is a great show. You guys and gals are my second family, and I feel very lucky that I can share my love of this music and my thoughts about it with others who love it probably even more than I do!!! Be proud you all are keeping this tradition alive, and that you are still discussing a timeless venture that will outlive each of our shaking bones!!!

• Forum MVP

We've all had meatloaf.

Some of you may never like to eat a slice ever again !

Some too dry, some might say not enough ketchup. However- We all prolly know a delectable slow cooked moist one where you save it to make a sandwich of the next day. And may have dreams about biting into that with the crispier cold lettuce in sharp contrast to the soft bread that soaks in the juiciness that soaks in from the meatloaf being rewarmed. We may have different memories around eating meatloaf that shape our experience of it. But it is still the best meatloaf you have ever tasted !! Haha Some might claim it is exactly like grandma's, others might notice the fresh oregano or hint of garlic powder that others don't. Still a fucking fantastic award winning meatloaf. Whether your dining experience was enhanced by running a marathon that day or just coming home from blowing bubbles outside.

Now who's hungry ?

• Forum MVP

We've all had meatloaf.

Some of you may never like to eat a slice ever again !

Some too dry, some might say not enough ketchup. However- We all prolly know a delectable slow cooked moist one where you save it to make a sandwich of the next day. And may have dreams about biting into that with the crispier cold lettuce in sharp contrast to the soft bread that soaks in the juiciness that soaks in from the meatloaf being rewarmed. We may have different memories around eating meatloaf that shape our experience of it. But it is still the best meatloaf you have ever tasted !! Haha Some might claim it is exactly like grandma's, others might notice the fresh oregano or hint of garlic powder that others don't. Still a fucking fantastic award winning meatloaf. Whether your dining experience was enhanced by running a marathon that day or just coming home from blowing bubbles outside.

Now who's hungry ?

So funny you mention it....I was out all afternoon blowing bubbles and came in for some of the finest meatloaf dinner I've ever had...who woulda thunk it!?

• Forum MVP

Made a pork and beef lasagna last night for main course, and Cape Cod day boat scallops as first course. The spring peas are out and beautiful, so I made a pea puree with shallots spring garlic, a bit of cooked off fish stock. Blended with a touch of cream. Bed of pea puree, two seared scallops (these things were enormous - maybe U6, or 6 to a pound) and some sauteed hedgehog mushrooms along with a few of the peas left whole. Food is good!

Dance ratings/rankings inside joke. It's all for fun. Those I connect with easiest in this community are dancers. Those here that fit that bill or get around know what I mean by that.

Sun and rude can inspire you with their movement. ChuckVegas and mango too. Maybe rude can better explain. When we met, I wouldn't have called him a dancer. He moved but not like what I'm talking about. He now moves like crazy. It's not so much skill at that point but pouring every ounce of energy from inside your soul into feeling the music rattle through your bones.

All you dancers flailing around like epiletics make me sick. You interupt those that really get it and watch the band perform with brilliance.I envision one day when we can all converge together and in a very Germanic way pump our fist in unison to the beat of the music proclaiming our devotion.Thousands of fist in a sea of unity. Ahhhh Bliss...

• Forum MVP

Dance ratings/rankings inside joke. It's all for fun. Those I connect with easiest in this community are dancers. Those here that fit that bill or get around know what I mean by that.

Sun and rude can inspire you with their movement. ChuckVegas and mango too. Maybe rude can better explain. When we met, I wouldn't have called him a dancer. He moved but not like what I'm talking about. He now moves like crazy. It's not so much skill at that point but pouring every ounce of energy from inside your soul into feeling the music rattle through your bones.

All you dancers flailing around like epiletics make me sick. You interupt those that really get it and watch the band perform with brilliance.I envision one day when we can all converge together and in a very Germanic way pump our fist in unison to the beat of the music proclaiming our devotion.Thousands of fist in a sea of unity. Ahhhh Bliss...

My arms are very controlled. It's my size 14 shoes that cause havoc. And Brian I agree that a "The Wall" audience is much more orderly and the band would likely appreciate a crowd salute in unison. You know. The kind of thing you see at a trump rally. Heil trump!!

Archived