Am i the only one that can't stand Mayer?

Guest Candyman22

• Forum MVP

After going into dead50 with a closed mind and being blown away, I went to dead and co with a more open mind thinking it would be solid as well. I was unimpressed. Mayer is a douche irl and not many will deny that but I didn't think it was very good musically. Note we were next to the soundboard, but the sound was terrible and hollow. The levels were bad. You could barely hear mayers lead guitar at times. Almost no bass or keys could be heard as well. 2nd set had literally no breaks b/t songs. It was 1 > after another, so there were like 8 song transitions needed and at least 3 were completely flubbed with Bobby even throwing his hands up in the air and stopped playing during Stella. I don't get all these people being absolutely in love with mayers playing. I did see a show with bad sound and lots of really bad mistakes so that may be a bad show to base it off of, but I won't be catching another.

And the money grab holds no water with me. They have to make a living. Technically every job is a money grab. I think it's ridiculous to say any band is making a money grab. No one works for free. Why should we expect bands to do that. If you want a money grab, U2 was charging 500 bucks face a ticket when I lived in Chicago. Needless to say you could buy tix up to day of the show. They wanted to eliminate the scalper market lol. The dead and co floor seats are only 100 face and tix go as cheap as 25 bucks for nose bleeds.

Guest Candyman22

I went to Albany and hated it. I love Bob and always will. I think its crazy tickets are 150 bucks and thats what i mean about the cash grab, sure they have to make a living but this is crazy. Why do you think Mayers guy is the promoter.

Definately not blown away by Dead and Co., but they were (at least for me) a welcome change from some of the other incarnations. In particular in that Meyer was sort of his own man, not constantly being told what to do via inter band microphones from other members. Bob looked better than ever! I had hoped to try out one of the simmer 2016 shows, but the ticket prices are just very expensive for mediocre seats potentially in a very large stadium. Still may do SPAC, hiwever, if I can get pavilion seats. The nostalgia alone for that venue is worth all the other tribulations of seeing Dead and Co.

• Forum MVP

I will give John a break a little. I've been seeing DSO longer than Mayer has even listened to dead and I'm a newcomer to DSO compared to most of you guys.

• Forum MVP

Wish I'd gone to Stanleys for hyryder,I was just too far out there after the DSO show only had enough wits about me to find the winding path home. We'll be at riverbend for dead and co. Security in Columbus for their spring show almost through us out which made me feel like a Criminal the rest of the show. Will say we got a 23 min birdsing that was close to being a spacey dark star. Got to love Bobby still hitting the stage. I say have fun with all the folks in the lot and keep on dancing whenever the space allows

• Forum MVP

A little better than hyryder not much.

I enjoyed Hyryder more but then again the crowd there was more into it than the Nashville crowd. In my floor section almost no one was dancing. The ushers didn't like dancing and let us know. You need to get next to your chair. You are going to run into someone. You need to make room for people. Umm there's 10 feet of room. Leave me the fuck alone.

• Forum MVP

Hahaha I went to Dead CO shows with someone who makes fun of me for touring and listening to DSO !!!!! If that isn't fucking hilarious, I don't know what is. There is certainly no accounting for taste! I only had my man to talk to the whole time about how I forced myself to have fun by vibing off everything not the music, and my specific dork star issues with specific aspects of said music....

But....

Think of all the cute young mayor loving girls that just had their whole world open by following THEIR Johnny to a show and getting something so much more..... For me, turning ppl on is what it is all about! ;) I followed a Johnny to some shows once and my life was forever changed and I am forever grateful! ;)

Kiss kiss

Saw Mayer on Halloween few months ago at MSG in 2015, He rocked. I was 12 when I first heard The Grateful Dead. I was obsessed.... now it's 1995 and I'm a high school kid, I saw Page and Plant at mSg,(Led Zep) . Now I wanna go Giants Stadium and see the Dead. My mom a awesome woman, Woodstock / rocker/party animal...crazyyyyyy... but decided her 13 year old animal son isn't not getting on the bus. Jerry dies. We were both crushed.

Furthur, ratdog, Phil and friends seen them all.

Dark star orchestra!!!! has been the best music I've ever heard and experienced. I missed the original grateful dead and there's nothing I can do about it. Im a early 80s baby and I know there's a lot here in this community.

My point of the story is I've listened to ALOT of grateful dead music and my older friends who were lucky enough to see jerry and the boys numerous times, they say this john mayer guy is OK. I've seen him a few times, he seems into it.

The also say everytime they are DSO they are phenomenal. I'll prob be 5 east coast shows and 2 dead and co shows this spring. Thanks everyone for the reviews and keeping this family together.

• Forum MVP

Yeah, Mayer's poncho needs to be stolen and given to someone less L.A. Hey, maybe he grows though through this whole process and gets a better frame of reference. What else is life for ? Unless the person has lost their inner child in the woods, change for the better is always the choice. Maybe he doesn't become " the Hollow Man ". He seems to work at it at times and that is cool. He seems very respectful of his opportunity and I like it better than a know it all any day.

I saw 4 shows. The first two were fun and took some unexpected turns that worked well; the second two had moments that completely derailed. Seriously terrible. So - would I rather go to DSO show? Yes. Do I absolutely love Mickey Hart's' drumming, and that makes up for goofball runaway train wrecks. Yes.

Archived