meet me at the movies

gtodeadhead

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

I've done every one. I saw the horrible sound of the 2nd night of downhill from hill to the very short beat club one that we were like wtf it's over, to the solid sunshine daydream. These 89's are pretty boring videography IMO. Personally I'd rather listen at home than go watch in a theater with horrible sound. Note theaters are pretty much a huge center channel. Sunshine daydream was at least a movie. This is just standard video where when Jerry starts to play a solo, they will put the camera on Brent and when Bobby starts singing it will pan to a drummer. The dead had possibly THE worst camera operators/editors ever. I'm actually surprised they haven't done some extra footage from the grategul dead movie. That's the only watchable movie. The rest, just gimme audio. I'll prob go but my expectations are low. It's not like I'm in San Fran in a packed theater with smoke hovering everywhere. That could be fun.

• Forum MVP

Going to have to disagree with you on this one Rude, del arminaco (or what ever his last name is) has done exceptional work on taping the dead. Give the KY jam a watch from Louisville 1990, filler on one of the vaults,he stays on Jerry during leads, and has some interesting crowd shots from the band's perspective, looking our at the see of people in a stadium, . the beat club, now that was too short. The filming del has done is nothing short of spectacular,we got a decent theatre in Newport that does the sound justice, usually cranking it up so it's heard in the hallways

• Forum MVP

I'll give it a spin!

I like it when Jerry actually looks up from time-to-time tho.  Too many times with his head-down, nodding with dark fingers meaning he was trying to kiss the sky -  it's not as engaging visually and makes me a little sad.

I've not watched the vids of Foxboro so it will be a surprise - even though I'm familiar with this show.

• Forum MVP

I'll give it a spin!

I like it when Jerry actually looks up from time-to-time tho. Too many times with his head-down, nodding with dark fingers meaning he was trying to kiss the sky - it's not as engaging visually and makes me a little sad.

Yeah, I hear that,,I often feel a touch of sadness when watching jerry footage from this era as he often seems off in his own world and a bit isolated. The disconnect between him and Phil at this point seemed to leave them in different universes even though they could still play well together,,,,although I do appreciate when Jerry gets animated and engaged with Brent In the late 80's....

Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever it brings,,the theater I go to has excellent sound for these GD movies

• Forum MVP

Good show - better than I thought! Decent crowd but they were a little too buttoned up for my tastes. I got my dance on a little but not like I should have. It was nice to have a comfy chair and a local IPA on tap.

Highlights were the FOTD 2nd set opener and the Fantasy > Jude. My favorite part of the whole show was the interplay between Jerry and Brent! Those 2 were kindred spirits and it showed! Loved to see them feed off each other and the big smiles that accompanied!

Brent may have pushed the chemical envelope to start the 2nd. He looked like he was in quite the trance - it was cool for a sec and then made me a little sad.

All in all - good times for a Wednesday nite :)

PS: Dead + Co content. It got me excited for a moment and then it was a bit of a face palm - YMMV. Great to see Bobby - looks healthy and energetic!

• Forum MVP

The 4/6/82 Brent /Jerry jam in Dhakedoen is just amazing !! Phenomenal even.

Thanks for the review. Busy working and being a mother, there is not much left for a Wednesday night. My kids are totally the apples of my eye though !!! Lu the 12 year old has been listening to Louis Armstrong and Moon River because she is in a "traditional " kind of mood. Lol

• Forum MVP

Had a really good time,,,

Jerry was so animated and full of emotion and lots of Smiley joy throughout the show. Great show and fun to see it all from the perspective on stage. I thought this was better than last year's '88 show at the movies. Crazy Fingers for second song of the night set off a good trippy path for rest of show. Seemed like whole band was really giving it their all for every song...helps when Jerry is at the helm putting all his emotions out on the line and ready to have some fun

Archived