Scott Larned - 11 years today

Teacher Matt

• Forum MVP

Scott ... co-founder of Dark Star Orchestra passed away 11 years ago today ...

he deserves to be in the kitchen table threads as he was the "Sandwich Man" ...

I ask all to make our go and buy a sandwich today for lunch dinner or a late nighr snack .. dig up some old Dark Star with Scott tickling the keys and jam ..

Cheers old friend

• Forum MVP

I felt I got to know scott at his birthday bash in Chicago last year. There may have been a few factors involved, but Rob K's eulogy was one of the most emotional talks I've ever heard. I felt like I really missed out on meeting an amazing person who went out of his way to befriend as many people as possible and spread his positive vibes to everyone he touched. It was an amazing speech and it touched me and I took it to heart. I wish that you guys would release that audio track from that 7-3 show. Rob K's eulogy should be heard by people who knew scott as well as those who didn't. It was inspiring and needs to be heard and shouldn't be just for the few who saw it in Chicago. As soon as Rob k finished, I instantly regretted that I didn't have my iPhone recording as I would have been able to spread inspiration for years to come to DSO fans and non fans alike. Please release that audio.

• 2 years later...
  • Forum MVP

So funny, I am eating a sandwich as I read this thread. My favorite memory of Scott is at the Grand Opera House in Wilmington, De. A childhood friend’s parents worked there and let me in to take a peek before the show started. I cracked the door from the lobby into the venue and there’s Scott strolling across the stage, belly button first, while the band is getting everything just exactly perfect before them old doors flew back. He was grinning from ear to ear. That is how I choose to remember him.

• Forum MVP

I have a treasured memory from the NYE ‘04 show at Denver. I was actually able to find room to move up close in the Scott Zone and just remember him playing while looking out over the audience. He had the best grin. It spoke volumes.

• Forum MVP

Saw him perform one time only, and it was my very first dso show. His energy lured me on the DSO bus, where I currently reside. Been all dragonfly since. I had a boarshead teriyaki chicken, spinach, and multigrain bread for lunch today, in Scott's honor. 

• 9 months later...
  • Forum MVP
13 hours ago, Teacher Matt said:

thanks Chuck for bringing our old friend to the forefront. ..

I think I speak for both Chuck and myself when I say the friendship we formed with Scott went beyond the music... 

Amen.

It has been 14 years now. As so many had said in the old In Memoriam section for Scott, he helped found something that has grown beyond belief. This is a testament to both the vision and talent shown by the band to this day and to the fans who help carry the torch on this side of the rail. I am blessed beyond words to have known him and to have been welcomed into this family.

Miss you buddy...he brought so many of us together...a regular guy always wanting to meet the DSO regulars and their friends.....at the time I started seeing DSO in 2001, Scott was dating a bridesmaid that had been in my 1995 wedding...he made it clear to me that he would treat me like family and he always did...wow, brand new in the scene and boom...it was like that!

I'll never forget the time..maybe in 2002, 2003 in Salt lake City, he joined me and my buddy Jim in the audience at half time.....I can't remember that ever happening since...if it wasn't for him, there would be no DSO!

Archived