BUFFALO

Omg 1972 Bo Diddley show what an insanely special treat!! I may mess up how the first and second set were broken up and maybe miss a song or two of the 3rd set but here ya go...anyone fix or add anything :)

*3/25/72 whole show broken into 2 sets then 3rd set of fillers including a few tunes for Dylans 75th!

Set 1:

How Sweet It Is

Are You Lonely For Me

Next Time You See Me

Brown Eyed Women

Smokestack Lightning

Top Of The World

Sugaree

Looks Like Rain

Bertha

Set 2:

Mr. Charlie

Playing in the Band

Good Lovin'

Turn On Your Lovelight

Set 3:

Chinatown shuffle

Just like tom thombs blues

Black throated wind

Positively 4th street

Tangled up in blue

All i have to say is WOW i am so thankful to have been at this one :) LOVE buffalo trips and love the town ballroom and Love you Dark Star!!

Found this review on Archive. Thought it was interesting enough to post... :). Have fun this weekend !!! (yeah, emoticons back!!)

Reviewer: oh_uh_um_ah - favoritefavorite - May 3, 2009
Subject: The GRATEFUL DEAD "Live On Stage" March 25, 1972 at the Acadamey of Music, New York City, New York, U.S.A.
:::---:::---:::---:::---:::---:::---:::---:::

Ah yes, the 14th Street Theater, the Paramount, the Academy of Music...the same place with different names for different people for different times.

I went to this show with my friend John M. from Brooklyn. Just a couple of 16-17 year old freaks hangin' out.

We got to the show early and stood in line.

I remember seeing the Hell's Angel's choppers parked on 14th street outside the theater.

Handmade hard-tail bikes; some were hogs, some were choppers, some were works of art, some looked like they were ridden hard.

Everyone was in awe of these motorcycles and not one person dared to go near them much less think about touching one.

When it got dark and the show was about to begin a Stagecoach with four black horses drove down cobblestoned 14th Street and it stopped in front of the Academy of Music.

Two Hell's Angel's were sitting up top. One Hell's Angel was the Stagecoach driver and the other was riding shot-gun, with a real F'n shot-gun!

The Stagecoach door opened and a Hell's Angel got out with a dolled up babe, looking real fine and sexy on his arm. I guess he was President or Vice President of the East Coast Chapter from 2nd Avenue, or maybe he was the Sgt of Arms, but whoever he was he was a big-shot, with all the power.

They got out of the Stagecoach and walked into the theater. A short while later the theater doors opened and they let the rest of us in.

The first 30-40 rows of the orchestra seats were reserved for the Hell's Angels. I never went down stairs....No one was rushing the stage this night, that's for sure.

My seat was way up in the third balcony. The place was huge, with 3 or four balconies.(Thank God)

The place was packed with all kinds of Freaks, Hippies, and "other folks". But we were all the same that night, we were all fans of the GRATEFUL DEAD.

All I can tell you is the show was incredible.

Hallucinogenics gave the show a whole other dimension. They also gave NYC and the subway system a whole other dimension too.

I remember the mirror ball hanging down and spinning from the ceiling getting hit with a focused white spot and making stars flash all over the audience,stage, walls and ceiling.

When the show ended we took the stairs down to the main floor where the orchestra seats were. There we found a few Hell's Angels passed out on the floor. We carefully walked by them and out to the street.

It was another time, another universe. Did it happen? This recording is proof it did.

After the show the 14th Street Subway Station platforms were filled with hippies and freaks heading home. What a sight to see!

Too bad the audio quality for this show is in the toilet here on the IA.

Get DP #30 it's worth it. I don't get any money for recommending it either.

I bought DICK'S PICKS #30. I guess if you want it, you gotta pay for it.

Maybe someday someone will put the entire show on the Internet Archive?

I remember seeing movie camera's at all the GRATEFUL DEAD shows I went to, where is all that FOOTAGE, man???

Eat, Drink, Be Merry and listen to the GRATEUFL DEAD.

Thanks for the Love.

Great show all around!  The Smokestack was killer.

Does anybody remember them playing Good Lovin' because me or the others I was with do not remember it being played this night.  Hard to imagine it being erased from 3 memories. 

• Forum MVP

Great show all around!  The Smokestack was killer.

Does anybody remember them playing Good Lovin' because me or the others I was with do not remember it being played this night.  Hard to imagine it being erased from 3 memories. 

Good spot.  Sometimes the set lists have discrepancies.  I generally copy and paste from Deadlists.com.  They are usually very accurate.  But looking at the recordings, there is no Good Lovin, so unless the recordings are incomplete (which does happen), there was no Good Lovin' that night played by the GD. Rob normally pulls the set lists from Dead Base which did not include Good Lovin' so that is correct. We did not play it that night.  Thanks for helping me keep it all straight.  Inaccuracies do slip by from time to time. 

Archived