Boston

• Forum MVP

As if jubilee was not enough. Decided to try a little harder and follow the circus to Boston, and then 2-3 there after .

No review jut yet, obviously, but the travel has initiated reflective review of why many of us do this!?

Life is not as cheap as it used to be with GD, even then, GD started getting pricey towards the end.

I still search inside of me for the reasons why I search for this adventure. The .musical aspect is obvious, but with whatever is gain, if balanced lives we live, than something lost. I know what I am loosing, but I still do it.

Perhaps some craziness resides within many of us, or some need for isolation from a crazy world. Many of us trying to feel that young flight again. For others, trying to find their own stories shared by many before time offered opportunity.

So much pleasure and pain doing these trips. Driving by giants stadium, seeing g the morning new York skyline. Reminds me of a different time so long ago.

Boston here we come.e...have not been there since help slip fire at the old BSG.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Listening to the secret, searching of the sound. You are what you are looking for and  just cementing it in with the experience. GW, watch the signs and your answer comes. :580:   Don't mortgage it. How free can you get, I ask of you, and anchor your goodness? :rofl:

:grouphug: Dance for me; I so wish I could experience the road a little longer.  I am anchoring the love flowing at home, in the ancient hunting grounds of the Cherokee, and getting the kids and myself for the next step in our adventures. 

Peace and Love.

PG

• Forum MVP

Set 1:

Good Lovin'

Drums

Good Lovin'

Mama Tried

New Speedway Boogie

Casey Jones

Black Peter

Me And My Uncle

Midnight Hour

Cumberland Blues

Cryptical Envelopment

Drums

The Other One

Cryptical Envelopment

Cosmic Charlie

Set 2:

Uncle John's Band

Mason's Children

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Dark Star

Alligator

Drums

The Eleven

Alligator

And We Bid You Goodnight

F: easy wind

I don't remember what was played b4 Mason's children but it definitely was not UJB like this setlist shows. Got my 1st Mason's children. It was very fun. The crowd unfortunately was pretty bad. Low low energy. No one would really dance :/

Edit: evidently UJB started 2nd set. Wow. I have zero recollection of that.

• Forum MVP

Wow! Wow! Wow!

I guess it's tough goin from the love and symmetry of Rug Nation to a more groove-bereft vibe. Not to mention it being 12/30/69 which is right in the wheelhouse for most of the dedicated DSO fans.

Hopefully it was just an unfortunate contrast and the show still managed to perform an astral mugging on you :)

• Forum MVP

Dance we did. My cohort asleep. I have not reached that yet, but I have some words to share about music and venue. The former. Electrifying, the latter was a shame. Eyes need rest, but this show well worth a good review!! Hopefully find the time soon to post, situations already present themselves as soon as we wake!!

Boston tea party, I got to show Boston how to dance!!! A southerner no doubt:)!!!

• Forum MVP

I don't forget that a somg was played. That's super strange. Asked the guys what was before Mason's children. They were like UJB. I'm like wtf. That easy wind filler was hot. 2/3 of the crowd had left and we had room to get down. All the suits and ties(literally) left and then it looked like a normal crowd. Never saw a crowd so dressed up. Prob 100 guys in suit pants. Some even kept their ties on. I'm like serious dude. Put the tie in your pocket. Whole balcony was sitting. It has to be hard for the band on nights like this. A great crowd really has to pump them up but on low energy crowd nights it's got to feel more like a job. What's weird is the crowd should have gone wild when they announced it was the Boston tea party show. Usually when it's announced there's a lot of yelling and I told you so's and when I saw St. Louis summer show they did the 5-15-77 St. Louis show and they crowd went nuts. If the rarity of DSO doing a local dead show recreation doesn't excite you not much will. Don't want to be negative but when a well respected long time DSO touring guy says "I can't believe they wasted this legendary show on this crowd", you know it's not good. But....I'm expecting a rowdy crowd tonight. Hope providence plans on getting down.

Hi everyone. The show last night was great. A lot of how highly we consider a show depends upon our own expectations, and having seen the band so many times, I really did not expect more than 'ho-hum, nice show.' So maybe my view of the band's performance should be taken with a grain of salt.

I thought it was really excellent. I had not seen a 60's recreation (based upon my immediate recollection), and enjoyed the different songs and the different approach  - as I perceived things - of the band. The jamming was never a lick too much, everything was tight. I was locked into the music the whole evening.

I also had never seen this bass player. I can find his name but how long has he been with DSO and what are people's takes on whether there is any "new" band dynamic?

Lastly, the crowd/atmosphere. I love detailing the ambiance of a show / immediate neighborhood / host city. But, here I don't have too much to say, except to offer a contrasting view from a prior poster. I can't speak to the dancing. My hunch is that it may have been a little less. And there were a couple contingents of what my friend and I dubbed the "Real Hippy Housewives of Boston." The crowd was on the quieter side. But attendance was solid - especially for mid-week -  and the crowd was very attentive from what I saw (I was 2nd floor but floated a bit). I did not see any ties at all, and thought it was only a moderately cleaned-up crowd. For me, I prefer at least moderately cleaned-up crowds because, in my experience, that is an indicator of there being less posers, punks and junkies. So that was not a problem to me.

I thought the venue was good. In 2011 or 12 I think, the Wilbur basically let everyone smoke pot. I found it a bit offensive, and the whole atmosphere was lawless. This atmosphere emboldened the worst elements of the crowd / scene to, well, be themselves. Last night they obviously tightened things up, but I did not sense or observe any hard-ass stuff from the staff. This worked for me also.

Great work by the Band!

• Forum MVP

Welcome and I appreciate your perspective !

Skip Vangeles joined the band in fall 2013. He has definitely enriched the music and the band seems to be very happy and plays a tight show. Skip plays a mean bass, thumping it like a boss. It helps that he is a long time friend of Rob Eaton's too, I'm sure. I saw a pic once from a couple of decades ago of them playing together.

I saw an incarnation of DSO in 2011. When I saw them in 2013, it was a completely different ballgame all together !! The talent for playing all decades and kind of songs is amazing. They tackle the most difficult of songs and pepper them in- say Doin that Rag- and nail it.

• Forum MVP

Look. You don't go to shows. I'm not sure you know what a respectful crowd is. Maybe you were standing in a great spot maybe you were in khakis and a golf shirt. Maybe you got plain lucky but this crowd was full of talkers. People catching up on life and friends. Not even talking music or singing along. I won't say it was as bad as westbury but it's in the running. I tried different places all over the venue. Very little respect for the music and for those trying to listen to it last night. Sorry. I know you got to love your hometown and paint it in a good light but the crowd sucked last night.

The show that was something else all together. I'm not going to let the negative energy of that previous paragraph infect my review of the music. The 2nd set was truly epic.

• Forum MVP

Before the show started, the doorman, wearing a cool GD shirt mentioned to some it was going to be a 69 show.   There was some excitement in air of boston, after fighting traffic, dealing with some of the pushiest drivers in america.  Courtsey is not something presented on the roads of Boston.   A beautiful city, no doubt, but once I got into the venue, I was hoping the crowd would quiet down when the band start playing. 

I was downstairs, and realized people were more intested in talking, drinking, and catching up on mid week social life.   There were ties, there were many golf shirts.  SO WHAT?  I dont care about those things.  I have short hair, i wore a University of Utah Sleeveless shirt, and I too went up to the second level, with my other ticket, and finally jamed out in a great section up in the box seats with one other fellow dancer, and finally joined by a good friend.  Unforutantley, this friend, a kind person, and who respects the music, respects dance was literally approached by the only other dancer in the place, and started acting very aggressively strange.   This same individual approached me a hour later, completely away from my friend, and tried to start a fight with me.   Called me some names, and asked why I was starring at him while I ran away from his advances.  others watching as if it was a normal Boston night!!!

Needliess to say, I saw the whole crowd, the whole crowd saw me, and can honesty say, I enjoyed this show significantly more than 99% of the crowd.  There were some old heads jamming any place they could, some youngens who were getting it, but most just behaved like push Bostonians, which sucks, because GD has such a great relationship with Boston!!    If any of you were at the show, you saw me tearing up The Eleven Alligator , because I prepared, and made sure I had extra tickets to choose my dancing palace!!

First time at the venue, and will be last.  i love this music so much, but its tough when you have to fight to enjoy it because others dont respect the artist enough or the people around them to offer silence, or atleast discreet conversation.

The MUSIC:   The night started out great right out of the first bang of the drums.  Some tightening up needed to be done, but after Good loving, the little drum flight started the body to a condition of explosive musical dance!!! 

Mama Tried, a fun kicker, but then hitting a Casey Jones took the band a step up, and started getting their groove into that awesome 69 sound.

The ups and downs, kicked down to BPeter.....so sexy, sultry, though victim of sadness, self guilt........But then BAMMMM---

The next songs did not stop....the music just poured, and though the sound system at this venue did not have much bragging rights, the Band played their ass off, and kept it through the end of cryptical.

The Cosmic CHARLIE!!!!!!  YIPP the FUCK E!!!!!     What a sweet gift, one I don't get enough of.  Such a fun song, and the jam at the end was worth the words in the beginning.  Loved it!!  A highlight among many for me!!

First Half of second set, kept the tour pains away, and kept my feet in high gear, the Mason Children was a nice rarity that I felt privileged to hear, and luck to dance to!!

The great thing about a 69 show, most people, as in Boston start getting tired, and with songs like Dark Star soon creates space and time for many to start a exit towards their car!!  They did not get it, I got it, because it was during Dark Star I finally reclaimed my box seats, the well dressed college kids subsided, and I had my space to finally get psychedelic, and psychedelic we got!!

Dark Star---Alligator----Eleven-----more drums.   DRUMS TONIGHT WAS FUCKING SMOKING!!!!  SO many times I got to jam to quality drum beats.  But from Start to End, it was worth my effort to get here from Jubilee.   Despite the crowd, the venue, and I saw very little hippy and drug use!!!     Smelled some pot?  So what...its DSO/Grateful Dead.  I don't get it?   it was those same junkies that kept the scene going for so damn long!!!   It was not the casual fan that kept tour going, it was the undesirable hippies!!!

Great fucking Show, disrespectful crowd, but I am adaptable, and though I may share complaints about the guest to this Boston Tea Party Reproduction, it just tough to keep the positive high level dance energy for me, for others, for support of the band when so many just did not appreciate what they were witnessing.  Its sort of sad for me, sad for them, and disappointing that others doing take advantage of witnessing such high quality GD that they could of never witnessed otherwise, in their lifetime.

THANKS DSO,  GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!

SEE YOU TONIGHT---TOMMOROW---NEXT NIGHT:}!!!!!

u tell em Mason (did I meet u in Tarytown or was it Mango?). and PG - appreciate his perspective? to much pot last time. I prefer a properly dressed crowd.  first PG comment that's ever disappointed me! next time he should take his perspective to the library :) 

• Forum MVP

Unforutantley, this friend, a kind person, and who respects the music, respects dance was literally approached by the only other dancer in the place, and started acting very aggressively strange This same individual approached me a hour later, completely away from my friend, and tried to start a fight with me. Called me some names, and asked why I was starring at him while I ran away from his advances.  others watching as if it was a normal Boston night!!!

It's a good thing HB and I weren't there. We probably would have shown him the Bronx. :huh:   

• Forum MVP

For me, I prefer at least moderately cleaned-up crowds because, in my experience, that is an indicator of there being less posers, punks and junkies. So that was not a problem to me.

I thought the venue was good. In 2011 or 12 I think, the Wilbur basically let everyone smoke pot. I found it a bit offensive, and the whole atmosphere was lawless. This atmosphere emboldened the worst elements of the crowd / scene to, well, be themselves.

So let me get this straight. One is more likely to be a poser or a punk or a junky if they aren't wearing a polo and khakis? And you think those lawless pot smokers are the worst elements of the crowd???

Hmm. Guessing we found the poser. And btw Skip has been with them for around 180 shows so the chemistry is just fine.

You are the worst type of head. You stereotype people as junkies and punks and think you are better than everyone. Who are u to call anyone a poser. Just the fact that pot offends you puts you in that category. You don't have to smoke. That's irrelevant. But the fact that you judge people who do means you aren't in touch with the true spirit of the dead.

• Forum MVP

And if I'm being honest with myself I was stereotyping too, but the button down guys were the ones who were talking nonstop and luckily they mostly split after dark star creating room to dance. It doesn't matter how you dress, but it's not as easy to get down in suit pants as it is shorts and a tee. But I'd never say someone looks like a junky b/c of his clothes and not sure what this poser stuff is anyway. In comparison to rob Eaton, everyone on this board is a dead poser. I'm a poser in comparison to most on this board but definitely not compared to people at a show. amd what kind of poser? I'm still confused. You mean posing as a deadhead or posing as a kind soul?. If you have a positive attitude and give love and/or dance back to others at shows you belong there. Having seen the dead or knowing dead music is irrelevant. It's all about the love you bring IMO.

Who the hell finds pot smoke offensive at a show haha... This show looked absolutely phenomenal, while I look at the first set with a huge smile, I'm blown away by the second. Sucks I couldn't be there. For all who were there what a gem for you and sorry the crowd was suited/talking/ non interested. and for the people who didn't appreciate what u got last night...shame on you.

• Forum MVP

u tell em Mason (did I meet u in Tarytown or was it Mango?). and PG - appreciate his perspective? to much pot last time. I prefer a properly dressed crowd. first PG comment that's ever disappointed me! next time he should take his perspective to the library :)

How do you know what all I appreciated ? I really don't care about people's pronouncements or judgements about the scene. You wrote the scene you create and that is your world to negotiate. I have never had a bad experience at a show so maybe I walk on diamonds. Well just one bad experience- in CA- but that was my burden to bear and no one else's. In fact I met many who lifted the road to my feet.

My life is now complete :) Wow, what a show. Finally getting a 60s recreation, the singularity. Now I just need to find a wormhole to listen to the show again ;)

I've heard Black Peter several times in recreations. Each one brings tears to my eyes, and last night especially moving. Matson owns this song.

Saw DSO open an '85 show with Midnight Hour. Very nice, easier opener warmup. A '69 version? DSO blew my mind.

What were those sounds in the Other One? Other worldly, the whole sequence.

Still in the first set...I could go on and on. Beautiful UJB. Dark Star was incredible, loved hearing the 60s psychedelic vibes. The Eleven. Every song and jam had so much happening almost too much to process. A couple comments about dance energy, sometimes I just stood there in a trance.

The whole show Matson just blew the roof off. The entire band was great. Just being able to hear that era, amazing. Thank you DSO. Really at a loss for words on this one.

Side note rant: how can so many people yap through Black Peter and Dark Star? There was magic happening there. How about a separate yapper's section.

• Forum MVP

Why waste your time building ego ? The garden is for expanding your mystical faith and love. I don't think you can waste a show..... On some astral level all things work for good. That music touched who it was meant to touch.

How do you feel about a Wookie ?

So Scott told me he used to wear a dye on dress down Fridays. Well the new rule was it had to be collared. So what did he do? His awesome wife dyed a bunch of polos and white button downs. Haha that is how you do it, man. That is real hippie spirit. Not the dye but the self expression within the rules. Coloring everything outside the box.

the kindest deadhead of them all loves his brother no matter his attachments and hang ups- and finds the zen way the way of the peaceful warrior in the moment.

My dreams are coming, my dreams are coming. Some of them are here now. Frank Tennyson is one cool cat !!

Aloha people

Archived