2017 Jam in the Sand

Tea

• Forum MVP

http://www.dsojaminthesand.com/

Dark Star Orchestra and Island Gigs are psyched to bring you Dark Star's Jamaican JAM IN THE SAND V, returning to the all-inclusive Jewel Paradise Cove Resort in Runaway Bay, Jamaica, January 19-23, 2017. This is an event that you will not want to miss...your days will be spent on the beach enjoying everything the resort has to offer and the nights will be spent under the stars with Dark Star Orchestra, along with very special guests Los Lobos and Donna the Buffalo!

This is what you get...

4 Nights at the Jewel Paradise Cove Resort

4 Full 2-Set Dark Star Orchestra shows

3 Los Lobos shows plus an additional bonus show on January 18th (If you book one extra night)

3 Donna the Buffalo Sets

4 Nights at the Jewel Paradise Cove Resort that includes:

- Luxurious accommodations from guest rooms to butler-service suites

- All meals and snacks at 6 restaurants from Jerk Chicken to Gourmet Dining

- Unlimited Premium Drinks at 6 bars

- Daily Activities and Entertainment

- Enhanced water sports activities center featuring scuba diving, sunset cruises, glass-bottom boat tours, reef snorkeling excursions, Hobie Cat and non-motorized water sports

- Complimentary green fees at the (18) hole championship Runaway Bay Golf Club

- Complimentary WIFI resort-wide

- Weekly Dive-in Movies

- Fitness Center training and a myriad of classes

- A Paracourse (Fit Trail®) that spans the entire property with strategically placed workout stations

- Airport Transfers from Montego Bay Sangster International Airport!

Have at it if you got the ways and means :)

• Forum MVP

I'm curious why DSO needs opening acts here. Hasn't this become big evough to solo it? I feel bad for bands who play with no one watching hardly b/c DSO shows are endurance events. But maybe I'm in the minority. Guessing most of the others on here were grooving to steel pulse earlier in the day. Los Lobos is cool and all but there's plenty to do during the day I'm Jamaica like eat, drink and lounge.

• Forum MVP

The stage isn't empty while these other acts are playing.  I would say out of the 350 to 450 people at this event.  The DSO show is only a full on endurance test for maybe 10 to 15 people.  A lot of older heads that like to be upfront groove and pop their heads.  They aren't spinning off into the cosmos.  There's a few family members wives and otherwise. They generally aren't dancing full tilt start to finish.  DSO gets to see some of the opening stuff themselves.  

I think another reason openers are needed is every year I meet a few people that are here for the openers.  Don't get me wrong, they appreciate DSO, but I met people 2 years ago that said Keller was the reason they came and I met people last year that said Kimock was the reason they came.  That couple from Texas was a riot. 

"He's your problem now."

I caught Kimock cause of him.  It wasn't so bad.  

• Forum MVP

We want to go but this won't be our year. literally just dropped 2k for her 1 grad school summer class today and 1k for software for my biz. Soon comes a full year of grad school payments and that will end my tour dreams of fall tour. To put it in perspective, each semester was $990.00 when I finished at UK. A 3 hour summer online grad course for her is $1995. No wonder people are drowning in student loan debt now. When I'm too old to dance, I'll have the funds to dance my ass off. I'd rather be rich when young than when I'm old. That's another cruel irony of life. Oh and I'm sure she will prob get preggers the second the debt is paid off and then kids will screw me over. I might as well just give up my dreams now.

• Forum MVP

We want to go but this won't be our year. literally just dropped 2k for her 1 grad school summer class today and 1k for software for my biz. Soon comes a full year of grad school payments and that will end my tour dreams of fall tour. To put it in perspective, each semester was $990.00 when I finished at UK. A 3 hour summer online grad course for her is $1995. No wonder people are drowning in student loan debt now. When I'm too old to dance, I'll have the funds to dance my ass off. I'd rather be rich when young than when I'm old. That's another cruel irony of life. Oh and I'm sure she will prob get preggers the second the debt is paid off and then kids will screw me over. I might as well just give up my dreams now.

If you're lucky...you'll be the biological father, eh??

• Forum MVP

• Forum MVP

So the music kicks off Thursday night and finishes Sunday. What time on Thursday?

**Los Lobos will be performing on the night of January 18th for guests that decide to arrive early**

While time becomes blurred on Island Time, I'll guess after 7 but before midnight

• Forum MVP

• 5 weeks later...

Psyched to see this posted--  Both my wife and I are turning the big 5-0 next year and it is our 25th Anniversary, so I think I just found out how we are going to celebrate.  We have been following DSO and DTB for a couple of decades now, so this sounds AWESOME.  I am looking for some general info from some previous attendees as to which rooms are the best bang for your buck and any other general info you would like to share---  Thanks, Peace

Psyched to see this posted--  Both my wife and I are turning the big 5-0 next year and it is our 25th Anniversary, so I think I just found out how we are going to celebrate.  We have been following DSO and DTB for a couple of decades now, so this sounds AWESOME.  I am looking for some general info from some previous attendees as to which rooms are the best bang for your buck and any other general info you would like to share---  Thanks, Peace

Glad you all will be going.....it is my favorite DSO event of the year. personally, I go for the cheapest room but I specify ground floor for ease of access. Other than that, it's an all inclusive resort, it's more upscale than the Grand Lido, but personally, I preferred the Lido, just a better vibe there in my opinion. Get plenty of rest before the show if you all are hard core dancers since dancing in the sand is much more fatiguing than on grass. See you in Jamaica Mon :)

• 5 months later...

I am!!!!  We are leaving tomorrow to spend the first couple of days in Negril before we head to the Jam.  Super excited and ready to get out of here.  Surprised there has not been more chatter here.

Anyone bringing recording equipment?  We are not checking any bags so I am leaning towards not bringing mine (which I'm sure I'll regret).  Anyone with experience with bringing equipment on carry-ons?

See you soon

Just wanted to report that it's still paradise in Runaway Bay! Here for Mule run, staying for Lobos night. Getting some rain showers this week, so I bet you folks will get the dry weather, a reverse of last year.

One tip if it's your first time: don't buy party favors when the shuttle bus stops on the way to resort. Much better options right here, just look for or ask for Bigga. And lots of us will have extra leftover to pass on to DSO folks before we leave. Hoping to do both Mule and DSO one of these years soon, it's the perfect party spot. Safe travels to you!!

• Forum MVP

2 more years b4 I go :(. This is the 1 show the gf has mandated she goes too. She told me I could go without her but i believe it was meant to elicit a reaction of I won't go without u. Maybe next year but my mandate is I don't pay for 2 people so if she can stash 2500 guess I'm in. My entire winter and spring tours will barely hit 5k and that's for 22 shows so this still isn't a viable option.

I noticed I'm still trying to justify why I haven't gone yet.

Glad to hear you'll be at Lobos, Mason's Child, though I've never been to Cap, so you may be thinking of a different Sue. Regardless, look for a heavy lady with glasses and a pink oil pen, I'd love to say hi and pass on any extra!! :)

Archived