DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

• Advisory Board

I will say it.

Dead and Co. suck.

Bob has tarnished his legacy. Still love what he has done. Always will. But this actually offends.

Mayer has the voice that makes me dream of Donna during Playin' with fond memories.

Mayer has the guitar chops that make any bar cover band Jerry look like a guitar god.

Mayer's vocal inflections and silly bop make me puke.

Chimenti and Oteil should wipe the plastered grin off of their faces for at least a minute or two. They will wake up with hurt cheek muscles. 

Nostalgia for Billy and Mickey together again? That wore off in about a minute.

Jerry isn't turning over in his grave but he is probably having a good laugh at what Bob has done when he gets to be in charge.

I couldn't stand to watch the second Bonnarroo set. The first left me longing for elevator Muzak. I like my sugar sweet.

When I turn on Sirius and hear Gans and people call in gushing about Dead and Co I realize that for Gans, being on the payroll means being a corporate cheerleader. It reinforces that so many "deadheads" never really got the music. Just the scene...

Bob was so much when he was Jerry's foil. The best rhythm player in the finest band. He's no professor. The stare into the camera, the Shatnerized vocals, it's nails on a blackboard for me.

I cannot understand how any DSO fan can even like Dead and Co musically. Ok for the nostalgia maybe, but nothing like what it used to be. Ok for the homage to heroes past still playing, but that only goes so far. Musically they are worlds apart. Galaxies. Universes. DSO and the GD are sister planets orbiting around a black hole defying gravity.

It's not about keeping an open mind for me. I wanted to love Furthur and with JK I tried. I wanted to love Dead and Co. I love Bobby. Always will. But this sucks. And it hurts to think that for so many teeny boppers this will be their "Grateful Dead".

My opinions only. I have held my keystrokes on this thread for a while but I just can't take it. Believe it if you need it, if you don't just pass it on. If you enjoy Dead and Co I am happy for you and glad that there is something else out there. But please, please, PLEASE don't ever put them in the same category as the Grateful Dead. They just play the same songs.

I can't wait for this weekend with 3 DSO shows on my horizon. And the compass always points to the Cantor board of 4/8/71.

Dr. B :(

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I am sure Mayer's take on Standing On The Moon was exactly as Mason describes.  And here is why, at the end of the day, this band can not work.  Your alternative is to have Weir sing the song and odds are that would be substantially worse.  It's a no win situation.  The only thing in one's favor is that Phil isn't on stage to make it worse.

I saw/watched every note of the Far Thee Well, and I had a fun time doing so.  But when it was over, I realized that it ended there for me as well.  That I could no longer subject myself to the Garcia/Hunter songs channeling through Phil and Bob. That despite Terrapin Crossroads being 15 minutes up the freeway from me I was finished.  And indeed, I have not seen Phil play since last July.  I'm holding out hope for another Dead year recreation with Eaton in the mix, which I'd see in a heartbeat, but what are the odds?  Phil has "Weir labor" for essentially free in his own household.  The show will sell out immediately.  What impetus does he have to fly Eaton out, put him in a hotel, etc? Well, you might argue, because he can hear and feel how much better the music would be. But if that were true he would not sing Eyes and more.

• Forum MVP

Something beyond sacred beyond discription. A connection to something real and breathing. They lived and sang my story before I told it. They told the story of those that couldn't figure it out. That couldn't buy in. That were so sick of the world they needed to tune out.

Good stuff, MC.

• Forum MVP

I cannot understand how any DSO fan can even like Dead and Co musically. 

A very good mutual friend of ours who was at the Jubilee in our area was in Camden last night and said it was " very good". He's probably seen more DSO shows than anyone, unless Rick caught him. 

To each their own , but I myself choose not to go. 

• Forum MVP

I don't want to discourage people from going. I need to get to a lap top. I'm going to fully share my experience before I sleep.

I truly hope these kids go home and listen to Jerry. I start with Barton Hall. Back to the basics.

The music was mediocre at best. Hyryder after party in Cincinnati inspired me more than this. They had advantage of small club, no expectations, and intimacy.

U are going on Hyryder tour right?

• Forum MVP

Also here's a great article with lots of good Mayer quotes. He could literally be the biggest douche bag in LA and that's saying something. His wedding vows are sort of classic though.

http://www.wonderwall.com/entertainment/top-12-reasons-not-to-date-john-mayer-according-to-john-mayer-6675.gallery

• Forum MVP

Mr. West,

I know who your talking about. I think I've caught him strictly dso speaking but he has 100s of dead shows to back it up too. I know he liked it. I was happy for him and I refused to say anything harsh to him during the moment.

I actually during standing thought why not just let Bobby sing. It could not have been worse.

• Forum MVP

IF dead and co gives you what you need, great!!! If not then don't see them. They sucked balls when I saw them in November. Musically they completely messed up many times. It was like a rehearsal. Crowd was weak. Sound was really bad and we were literally next to the board on the floor. Literally no one was b/t me and the board. How can you have shit sound there. They are traveling with their own PA for god sakes. Ushers constantly hassling us for dancing. It sucked. But they definitely were better musically at Bonnaroo. It was night and day. But I saw them stop in the middle of the Stella intro b/c Mayer couldn't figure out how to transition in. Sorry but that's important shit.

That being said, oblivious people are generally the happiest people. Let them follow dead and Co. From a selfish aspect that means more room to move at DSO shows. I want the band to keep increasing their revenues of course, but I'm not complaining that Phish is in Chicago same night as DSO. Hoping for the same crowd size as Scotts birthday bash. That was a fun night!!!! You were a DSO hardcore or just coukdbt afford GD50. Either way, that's the crowd I want to groove with. I don't want arenas either. Football stadiums are fun for sure. Exhausting days, but they are always memorable.

DSO is like a well kept secret and that's how I like it. Most of the detractors, have either seen them once or not at all. I've met many in those 2 groups. But once you've seen them several times, they begin to change your thinking and their true connection to the dead begins to form in your mind. When you hear that perfect note at the perfect time and are like holy shit, these guys are the real thing, is when I got this band. I didn't get them 1st show. I mean it was the oversold Vic with a non deadhead gf. It was fun but no more than a really good dead cover band. it took me 3 shows until I was hooked. No clue what I'm even rambling about any more. Literally no clue. I guess I'll end my ramble and do some actual work before I embark on this weekend. And this will be my 2nd run of the year with at least 8 straight shows( a friend pointed out I'm skipping Minnesota so my run ended at 7) Holy shit it's been a year to remember so far and none would be possible without all the good people I've met on here!!!

DSO is like a well kept secret and that's how I like it. Most of the detractors, have either seen them once or not at all. I've met many in those 2 groups. But once you've seen them several times, they begin to change your thinking and their true connection to the dead begins to form in your mind. When you hear that perfect note at the perfect time and are like holy shit, these guys are the real thing, is when I got this band.

• Forum MVP

Straight Fire from the good Doctor.....Truth bombs.

If you like Dead + Co., have at it.  I would not go out of my way to see them just to catch the novelty of Bobby, Mickey and Billy.  Would I turn down an easy opportunity to go?  Probably not.  It's cool to see so many folks taken by this iteration and that there is a 'quasi-scene' associated with it but that's holds minimal allure for me.

Musicians who are masters of their craft and who still have the ability to shatter my soul into a million little pieces is what does it for me.  When I get to enjoy that experience with others who are on the same plane makes it that much sweeter.

I love Bobby and the rhythm devils and am fine if it makes them happy (READ:  Gets them paid).  The slow tempo, the Shatnerization, and the bubble-gum soulless lead, are enough to keep me solidly on the sidelines.  YMMV. 

It wouldn't change things much but did it really have to be Mayer?  I literally thought it was a joke when I first heard Bobby tapped him for the lead - wonders will never cease I guess.

• Forum MVP

But mayers marriage goals are to find a girl who's ass he can wear like a hat. Don't dare talk negatively about a guy with those aspirations. He also wants to make his partners dreams come true as well. How great is that. "You have to run every single fantasy you've ever had through me. You'll never cheat. You see a cute guy at the gym, I'll be him. Or we'll get him. I don't care". See he only cares about the woman. Great guy.

to me it all comes back to u either get it or u don't.  the only thing I've seen since 95 that allows somebody to get it is DSO.  nothing else (Phil and Friends 96 - maybe 97 cant remember gave it a shot) has even sniffed it. and certainly not a show that has Bob signing TLMD. 

and MC on the vote thing.  I vowed never to pull  the R (NEVER pulled the D one) lever again in 2001 (no child left behind) but I ALWAYS VOTE

I am a fairly new Dead Head. My sweet husband introduced me to the Grateful Dead about 13 years ago, but it wasn't something at that time that I appreciated or gave much attention to. So, for 2 years now I have devoted my musical taste to the Dead and it's by far the most incredible music my soul longed for. The music speaks to me in a way that I really didn't think possible.

I have enjoyed many genres over the years, but it's hard to put into words the healing I have gotten from the Dead and the peace that soothes me.

Ok, so now on to my point about my thoughts on Dead & Co.

In my honest opinion, I do not care for Dead & Co. I haven't seen a live show, nor have I seen a live Grateful Dead show, so I believe I can give an accurate account. I don't believe in JM as a Dead member. It's not a natural fit and you can hear that dynamic in the music. You can see it on stage. It's too choppy and it doesn't flow well. I wanted to give it a chance and I gave it a fair chance. My heart is just not in it with JM.

~~~~~~~~

DSO is phenomenal and they relay the music the way it was intended. They really carry on the spirit and the vibe. I HAVE seen DSO live and I can't wait for the show in August!

That is as simple as I could make it, and I won't be going to a Dead & Co show, bc I don't want to feel the disappointment as so many have and I know I would.

~Peace~

• Forum MVP

Welcome wildgypsychild. Glad you have introduced this music to your soul. It will thank you for doing that over and over again.

Seems to me that most of the iterations that have included the original members have tried to ADD something to the music or put a twist on it, primarily the wrong people singing at the wrong time. They have continued to evolve the music, as they have for 50 years. For me this evolution has been taking out the best parts which are the ones that reach far into your gut and make you twirl without knowing you just twirled. If that makes any sense. For me some things don't need to evolve. They are just exactly perfect the way they were born. Jerry would shit his pants if he'd of heard Bobby shatnerizing Black Peter a few weeks back in Charlotte. Sorry but Captain Kirk singing "all of my friends came to see me last night.... I was laying in my bed and dying" can't even locate my soul.

• Forum MVP

Just an FYI, on this forum JM generally refers to Jeff Mattson lol. I see so many people on forums say JM and I keep thinking they are referring to Mattson when they are referring to the douche bag John Mayer and I mean a douche bag in real life. He's a good blues guitarist but he's seriously demented and treats people, particularly women, like shit. He has this theory about masturbating away his problems. He's very frank about it. But I've tried and it's not an effective problem solving method. In fact I tried this morning and I still have a big bill I have to pay. So his advice is as shitty as his personality. I encourage everyone to google John Mayer asshole or douche or whatever. U wil get hundreds of articles showing what a horrible person he is on the inside. Look, Bobby banged a ton of chicks. He never gave an interview where he talked about every girl he banged and said the conceited shit Mayer said.

Segueing into a Seinfeld quote.

"He could have any woman in the whole world but none could compare to the beauty of his own hand" --George costanza

• Forum MVP

Here's how I see it.  And Dead and Co, while admittedly relevant, is ancillary to the discussion.  I propose that there are two categories of the truly converted that need The Grateful Dead and all that that entails.

1. You can get completely off on recordings.  In that case, listen to The Grateful Dead and call it a day. I'm pretty much in this camp, although I understand the power that hearing it live can deliver and therefore I enjoy seeing DSO.

2. You need the live event to get you off.  In that case, DSO is the way to your salvation, and look no further.  The various iterations of the surviving Boys are a clown show (to borrow from a Bryce Harper phrase) next to what DSO delivers on an nightly basis.

• Forum MVP

Welcome WGChild. This music is made of myths as old as woman and man  and  of truth and of the celebration of beauty and light that lives in the soul. I find it living and breathing at DSO shows. The band's soulful music takes me places, and I shake the dust of the world off my feet.

John-

Although I found myself setting my garden shears down and being called to dance to the 6/10/73 Eyes on my back porch, it doesn't compare to the synergy of the dance to live music. I find myself in camp 2. There is spirit that moves among this crowd. I felt it at Blk Mtn dancing with Joe, Rick,  and Aaron during 2015 HSF and Dancing. Penn's Peak 5/8/2015 Here Comes Sunshine and Dark Star. Jubilee 2016 had a synergy that was palpable, and I could breathe it in deeply. It was AWESOME !!

I can find the music singing my truth. It spells out the road ahead. Whatever I need, it seems I get. That is my vehicle. That takes me places. 

GrtflPair-

Yes, the trying to make it their own rather than just being the music is what happens. I would never waste my time seeing Joe Russo's Almost Dead. I have heard that incarnation and really detest it. Other bands don't take me places. I have fun yeah, but at the end of the day, it was a respite. I need to drink from the fountain. So happy to have found a fountain at DSO!!

Jeff really feels the music and departs from that place. It feel authentic. And it works like boss. 

• Advisory Board

You don't need to have actually walked on Mission Street (rain or sunshine), but if you don't immediately think of Jerry when you see that street sign and wonder how he felt while singing the song you have no place on stage singing or playing his parts. Apart from Garcia's guitar which needs no and defies explanation, his vocals were a window to his heart and soul. He was Black Peter and August West. He had nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile. He took us to the Leader of the Band. He was our Doo Dah Man. He WAS the song. He touched us on every level. No one can ever be Jerry Garcia. That said, JM (Jeff Mattson, thank you Rude) has the guitar chops without a doubt. Maybe more important he has the soul, knowledge, gravitas and respect to walk down Mission and you know it. Thank you Jeff. Love and respect for the Master is the key to this kingdom. You've got it.

Did I invent the term "Shatnerization"?

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

At July 4th GD50, all was well until Trey sang standing on the moon. It felt wrong. Like someone said, the longing wasn't there. It didn't have the proper emotions that Jerry could give it. Bobby or Phil shouldn't sing Dew either. That song needs Jerry's emotion to work. And Mayers only emotion is sexual and he sings that way. Minglewood or Mexicali are more his style emotionally.

Without being prejudice by reading anything on this thread before responding, I think Dead and Company are fantastic. End Sentence. No equivocation or hesitancy in that response at all. I saw them in their fall tour in St. Louis and the show was simply outstanding from any metric point of view I use when going to see Dead related music. This tour appears to be no exception as I saw the entire Bonaroo show on line. I was a the final show in Soldier Field a  year ago and that was fantastic and satisfying in so many ways. With Trey it was Swiss Watch perfect from an emotional standpoint. He was, is and always will be the heir to carry the torch. No way around that fact.  Dead Co.  is a totally different deal, but excellent.  In the end it is about the Troubador Ace  continuing to let the light shine on all of this music.  Garcia would by proud of the way his little brother has carried the torch. I know I am. Weir for President 2016 ;-)

Ok...I had to be a Dumb Ass and read the entire thread...For the record I'm a relatively old Dead Head (53) who started seeing the Dead in 78 (6 shows).

I completely disagree with Dr. Barry (whose opinion I respect) having been a forum member for many years. Just not on the same page.  Also Rudedogg whats with the personal attacks on Mayer? You sound like Donald Trump. The dude is just trying to bring the music...I really don't think he has an agenda....

Anyway it is what it is. Mine appears to be the minority opinion that I really think this outfit is musically tight and bringing some joy out there.

Keep on keeping on everyone.........

Archived