DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

• Forum MVP

He made the personal attacks on himself. I'm only using his actual quotes. From those it's easy to deduce he's a douche. And it's he who sounds like trump with the misogynistic quotes. Sorry but he's a bad person playing in a band with the worlds greatest and kindest fans. And if it works for you, awesome. Wish it worked for me as its more show options. I did enjoy the bonnaroo feed. I had problems with his playing at times and at others I thought it was sufficient. When he tries to play like Jerry shd not like himself, he fails. He's a blues guitarist. You can't emulate Jerry only listening to the dead less than I've been seeing DSO and I'm a newcomer in comparison to almost all on this board. If you read that article of his magazine quotes that I linked and think he embodies the spirit of this band then I just don't know. Jerry had drug issues but he was an amazing kind spirit. Mayer is literally Jerry's opposite. Forget the playing. Look at the person. He's the wrong guy to play the music we hold near and dear.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Poor writers shouldn't use abbreviation. Lack of context makes statement unclear. I know these guys not dumb so I figure they intentionally using abbreviations with no context for humor. The humor us lost on me. No worries carry on.

• Advisory Board

Legend:

Chuckvegas-just playing around using the repeated initials.

Me-JM = Jim. Referencing the song Althea. Also saying that we can all settle back and relax over this use of initials issue.

PG-JM = jam. As in a psychedelic musical jam.

gr8fulpair-not exactly sure. Maybe just an affinity for melons that are juicy?

• Forum MVP

This is an interesting little site about writers. It is certainly not an in-depth analysis of why many are called to take up the pen but few are chosen to excel at it, but some of the points are food for thought. I just thought that the literate folks here might like to skim through the various cues.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/signs-you-are-a-writer/

• Forum MVP

Here's how I see it.  And Dead and Co, while admittedly relevant, is ancillary to the discussion.  I propose that there are two categories of the truly converted that need The Grateful Dead and all that that entails.

1. You can get completely off on recordings.  In that case, listen to The Grateful Dead and call it a day. I'm pretty much in this camp, although I understand the power that hearing it live can deliver and therefore I enjoy seeing DSO.

2. You need the live event to get you off.  In that case, DSO is the way to your salvation, and look no further.  The various iterations of the surviving Boys are a clown show (to borrow from a Bryce Harper phrase) next to what DSO delivers on an nightly basis.

John, you nailed it.....

These days I primarily invest in Camp #1, mostly by subscribing to the Dave's Picks series each year.......also Sirius XM radio, which in my car mostly stays tuned to the GD station.

I do enjoy Camp #2 occasionally......this is where DSO comes in......they deliver my medicine just right.

• Forum MVP

"Ah, there ain't no money in poetry, that's what sets the poet free. I've had all the freedom I can stand. You got your cold dog soup and rainbow pie, that's what takes to get me by, cold dog soup and rainbow pie, fool my belly till the day I die "  guy clark, "Cold Dog Soup" album, this is just a taste of what we lost when he passed a few weeks ago. Couldn't resist the writers are poor reply.

With all the Mayer trash-talking here, I feel compelled to reply to this thread...

John Mayer wasn't on my radar.  I didn't give two shits about him...until I heard him perform Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" at MJ's funeral.  MJ's band, no words, just John and his guitar.  I gained massive respect for him at that point.   Fast forward to last spring (2015).  I bought the live stream of a Phil & Friends show, and who shows up on stage?  John Mayer as surprise guest guitarist!  Ok this was going to be cool...  I watched both shows with Mayer & Phil, and it was amazing the way John wrapped himself in the music that very first time.   His solos on They Love Each Other & Morning Dew were scorching, and he was just getting started.    This was when I knew it would be nice to see some more of Mayer, because this was just the tip of the iceberg.

I was pumped, just like everyone else, for Fare Thee Well.   It happened, I enjoyed it, but in the end it was too Phishy for me.  Trey's got the chops but it just isn't my flavor.  Couldn't help but hear Phish leaking out thru my Dead music.  SO...when I heard about DeadCo, and that they had chosen Mayer, I knew that it was the RIGHT choice.

Now, to say that Bobby, by forming DeadCo, has insulted or somehow disrespected the band or its legacy in any way is absurd.   I've seen them 3 times so far (St. Louis, Cincy, Deer Creek).   They aren't a cover band.  They always just wanted to move the music forward and let it come alive.

That being said, I don't think that Bobby, Mickey, and Billy should just hang it up and turn the wheel over to DSO because they're "true to the original".  

The scene is alive and well.  It isn't suffering or anemic.  It's just a bit more scattered.   I've attended 3 DeadCo shows, 2 more coming up in July (Alpine Valley), and listened to most of the shows online at one time or another.   They started out good, then they got better, and now that we're well into the Summer Tour, they're diving into the soul of the music catalog and gifting us with a portion of it every night.   The moments, the chills, the flashbacks, the times when you are so deep into the music that you momentarily forget where in the hell you are... until someone startles you out of it... those things are there for the taking.  

Go see DeadCo.  Go in with an open mind.  Don't think of John Mayer as a pop-star.  Think of him as someone who started out on the wrong musical path.  Think of him as the newest member of our favorite band....

Hello everybody,

Not sure if this has been posted or not: Anybody see on Sunday (June 12,2016) on CBS Sunday morning : The Dead Rise Again: Dead & Company tour---after watching this and hearing Bob it changed my feelings about his tour---I tried to "paste & copy" link but couldn't----http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-dead-rise-again-dead-company-on-tour/    

Pretty cool info 

• Forum MVP

Go see DeadCo. Go in with an open mind. Don't think of John Mayer as a pop-star. Think of him as someone who started out on the wrong musical path.

I got mine and you got yours....

I just have to say, I apologize for the confusion in my post with using John Mayer's actual initials by typing JM. I know you guys got your thing going here, and I hope to be more involved as I really enjoy being a part of a like-minded community. That is all.

• Forum MVP

I just have to say, I apologize for the confusion in my post with using John Mayer's actual initials by typing JM. I know you guys got your thing going here, and I hope to be more involved as I really enjoy being a part of a like-minded community. That is all.

I think we all really had fun with the JM thing. No worries ! Glad you are here.

Archived