DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

After Eaton néw yorker comments, it's tough to believe he had any objectivity when hearing further play. Dead and co doing more for me than Warren and the dead did so I can see where he's coming from.

• Forum MVP

I still find the tempos to mostly be too slow given the song and my memory of it. I think mayer has done a fantastic job being respectful but his solos don't do it like jerry did or even come close like jk or Jeff does.

I hope to catch a few more shows before this project is up. Folsom definitely a better experience than Camden.

The dance was not forced. It came naturally. The crowd of dancers (some good friends) back behind the soundboard most certainly helped the vibe. The music was quality too though. I had a full sweat by the close of jack straw first night folsom. It was nice.

• Forum MVP

I still find the tempos to mostly be too slow given the song and my memory of it. I think mayer has done a fantastic job being respectful but his solos don't do it like jerry did or even come close like jk or Jeff does.

I hope to catch a few more shows before this project is up. Folsom definitely a better experience than Camden.

The dance was not forced. It came naturally. The crowd of dancers (some good friends) back behind the soundboard most certainly helped the vibe. The music was quality too though. I had a full sweat by the close of jack straw first night folsom. It was nice.

Agree about the tempos.....slowwwwwww

• Forum MVP

Definitely slower versions on average. I've seen(1)or listened/tv to around 5 dead and co shows. It's hard to compare the mind state from show to show but the GD50 July 4th blew away anything I've heard from dead and co. But then Trey gets the psychedelic jam. I mean he's done if for 30 years. I'm guessing Mayer isn't very "experienced" either. Trey was a deadhead and they were his biggest influence. I thought his guitar was far superior plus his voice works so much better than mayers. Mayers sticks out too much. But then again Phil and Bobby hogged all the singing parts. But like I said once before when I'm in a great mindset, the music sounds better and after 2 DSO shows in Chicago I was physically strong and it was as perfect as a weather day could be with my girl on our 1 year anniversary on a new adventure.

• Forum MVP

I can't agree that I thought dead 50 was far superior. Trey guitar is easier to dance too. He plays with more pep. Trey guitar lacks the soul and emotion necessary to play this music. His solos at dead50 sounded phishy. I can't listen to dead50 at home. The music wasn't up to my preferred level of quality.

I think trey really stood out. His tone was way wrong. Notes too sharp short and piercing.

• Forum MVP

I feel you about good mindset. I saw top dead center in tucson today. They weren't great by any means but I'm dancing really well right now. I had tons of space to spin and I got off on dancing to some good tunes. They played what's going on. I loved it.

• Forum MVP

The boards aren't changing the sharpness and shortness of notes. Hey to each his own. I've been fighting this since the day I accepted dso was it for me. Some people love phil and friends some love ratdog some couldn't get enough furthur. Now dead and co is the rage. I saw all these projects. Liked some more than others. Everytime I saw one of these other dead acts even if I thought I saw one of their stronger shows. The next time I saw dso it reaffirmed it for me. Not even close. Dead50 great experience. Glad I went. The music was lacking for me. I'm glad I got off in the moment.

I'm a harsh critic I think most of the GD shows from 91 to 95 are crap. Some gems and moments for sure but not for me.

Went into a dead dance one time. Everyone was crying. The GD show they were playing sounded cappy to me. My buddy let me know it was the last show. Hence, I could understand the raw emotion pouring out of the dancers but the music sucked. The so many roads is special but overall, that show isn't very good.

This all opinion. Your free to disagree.

• Forum MVP

I'm a harsh critic I think most of the GD shows from 91 to 95 are crap. Some gems and moments for sure but not for me.

I think '91 was pretty solid.  Certainly down a notch or two, but solid.  Things got quite rough starting with the Spring Tour '92 and rode briefs peaks here and there on the sad downward pitch.

• Forum MVP

I can't agree that I thought dead 50 was far superior. Trey guitar is easier to dance too. He plays with more pep. Trey guitar lacks the soul and emotion necessary to play this music. His solos at dead50 sounded phishy. I can't listen to dead50 at home. The music wasn't up to my preferred level of quality.

I think trey really stood out. His tone was way wrong. Notes too sharp short and piercing.

Agreed......Trey's live playing and singing just don't convey enough emotion for me when he is covering GD music. His vocals tend to naturally convey a flippant quality that is well suited for the psychedelic-carnival vibe of Phish music, but not so much GD. And his guitar tone just doesn't do it for me. Don't get me wrong.....Trey is a great player.

I think his best work (and the band's) was in the studio when they made the Billy Breathes album......their masterpiece.

9 times out of 10 when the Treyful Dead material comes up on XM radio, I change the channel.......same with the Mayerful Dead........tempos too slowwwww also.

Thank God for all of the Dave's & Dick's Picks......and thank God for DSO !!!!

• Forum MVP

You got a few 91 greats for me to check out. Tea can chime in hear too please?

1991 was a better year than most think.  Hornsby had a good impact on Jerry's expression - although sometimes he trampled on the sound (not to mention that infernal accordion).  Also, Vince wanted to stay in the musical conversation and it would be another year or so before he would pick his spots.  Despite these drawbacks, it was a solid year with more than a few transcendent moments.  Some really, really good Eyes of the Worlds in 1991! 

Here are some of my favorite shows -  The sound on some of these is absolutely PRIMO  :)

3/31 - 4/1 > Greensboro 

4/7 > Orlando (Rubin + Cherise :) )

5/3 > Cal Expo (Check out the Stella Blue - all-timer)

6/7 > Deer Creek

6/17 > Giants Stadium

9/4 > Richfield

9/10 > MSG

9/22 + 9/26 > Boston Garden

Have at it - I'm sure I missed a few here and there....

I saw first night Alpine and the energy was through the roof...I'm not much into analytics when it comes to all this, but the people were pretty happy. The music was excellent. Mayer has huge respect for Weir it shines though in their musical chemistry, It is ALL about Bob Weir now...He has carried his friends spirit forward over these last 20 years in a thoughtful and beautiful way. Weir is certainly  one of the most important musical figures in the history of American Music at this point.  He has seen (and participated) in it all. Hats off.

• Forum MVP

You got a few 91 greats for me to check out. Tea can chime in hear too please?

1991 was a better year than most think.  Hornsby had a good impact on Jerry's expression - although sometimes he trampled on the sound (not to mention that infernal accordion).  Also, Vince wanted to stay in the musical conversation and it would be another year or so before he would pick his spots.  Despite these drawbacks, it was a solid year with more than a few transcendent moments.  Some really, really good Eyes of the Worlds in 1991! 

Here are some of my favorite shows -  The sound on some of these is absolutely PRIMO  :)

3/31 - 4/1 > Greensboro 

4/7 > Orlando (Rubin + Cherise :) )

5/3 > Cal Expo (Check out the Stella Blue - all-timer)

6/7 > Deer Creek

6/17 > Giants Stadium

9/4 > Richfield

9/10 > MSG

9/22 + 9/26 > Boston Garden

Have at it - I'm sure I missed a few here and there....

Hornsby and that damned accordion.....uggh.....deal breaker city.

• Forum MVP

It left much to be desired I'll Agee.

I'll take that squeeze box on a couple tunes over most of Vince's leads.

Not a deal-breaker for me but it did indeed mar some great moments.

I, too, think this is the best GD band post Jerry ( original members ). Much of this, I believe, is because Phil is not involved. This comment was not made because of his play. He still has it. I will refrain from getting into what I mean.

I have been VERY impressed with this band. They get it and John Mayer is seriously good!

A good friend of mine plays in a band in my hometown and has been apart of this band since 1979. He is a good musician and rarely sees any live music as he would rather be practicing or playing than paying to see other bands....not sure how typical this is with musicians....

Anyway, I saw him in Camden and was amazed that he was out to see a show, actually pay to see a show....I asked him what made him go out on a limb like this? He said " John Mayer ". He is THAT good!

I found this interesting. I am not a musician and cannot play anything. He sees what Bobby sees. I have to agree with him.

• Forum MVP

Yes and I'm fan. Not a musician. I interpret it differently. Not doubting mayer guitar expertise. I don't want to see slash or Eddie van Halen. They both highly skilled guitarist. It's Mayers fault the tempos are so slow. He can play faster. Im sure of it. Bobby likes the slower jazzier boozier rock music. I like psychedelic rock. The tempos are even slower than 76. People complain about that year sometime.

• Forum MVP

Yes and I'm fan. Not a musician. I interpret it differently. Not doubting mayer guitar expertise. I don't want to see slash or Eddie van Halen. They both highly skilled guitarist. It's Mayers fault the tempos are so slow. He can play faster. Im sure of it. Bobby likes the slower jazzier boozier rock music. I like psychedelic rock. The tempos are even slower than 76. People complain about that year sometime.

I doubt that Mayer is solely to blame for the lethargic tempos, since Bobby has been slowing down the tempos since Ratdog was born.

To be fair, the Grateful Dead tempos have been gradually slowing down since 1976. Cold Rain & Snow, I Know You Rider, They Love Each Other, Friend of the Devil and so on.......

Heroin is a slow drug energetically.......so connect the dots......

• Forum MVP

Even though I'm not planning to go see the Mayerful Dead, I think it's great that Weir has been inspired by this line-up.

He's actually singing his vocal parts more now, and not defaulting to his usual rap a la Shatner......very cool.

Archived