DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

• Forum MVP

Weir has been slowing the tempos. I blamed weir not mayer. He likes it slow and jazzy. The tempos got way faster in 77 and 78. 78 and 79 are full on disco dead. Cocaine dead. 76 was very laid back. Yes herion stole a lot of Jerry's thunder. They relied more on Bobby and brent to push the music in the 80s. Jerry had checked put and Phil was deep in the hienekin years. The tempos sped up again after 76 without a doubt.

80s could be hit or miss. First three shows of tour slower. Then, if we must blame the drugs, someone showed up with some good Peruvian or Columbia flake and they rocked hard.

Slowest rider I know was from 1970. I call it the somber rider.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

You got a few 91 greats for me to check out. Tea can chime in hear too please?

1991 was a better year than most think.  Hornsby had a good impact on Jerry's expression - although sometimes he trampled on the sound (not to mention that infernal accordion).  Also, Vince wanted to stay in the musical conversation and it would be another year or so before he would pick his spots.  Despite these drawbacks, it was a solid year with more than a few transcendent moments.  Some really, really good Eyes of the Worlds in 1991! 

Here are some of my favorite shows -  The sound on some of these is absolutely PRIMO  :)

3/31 - 4/1 > Greensboro 

4/7 > Orlando (Rubin + Cherise :) )

5/3 > Cal Expo (Check out the Stella Blue - all-timer)

6/7 > Deer Creek

6/17 > Giants Stadium

9/4 > Richfield

9/10 > MSG

9/22 + 9/26 > Boston Garden

Have at it - I'm sure I missed a few here and there....

That's a damn good looking list Tea. 

I'd add 3/21 Cap Center, 5/12 Shoreline, 6/14 RFK, 6/25 Bonner Springs.  The entire October Oakland run was strong, although not up the level of some others previously mentioned.

Thanks for the list tea I could also use a little help for 90-95 goodness. Always herd those were rough times and not the best musically. Eventho my 1990 spring box set is fantastic. I'm a big brent fan. I love the Orlando rubin and cherise. There's a video of it on YouTube also but it's pretty grainy. The GD only played it 4 times in 91 and in total correct? I know JGB played it many times. It's one of my favorite songs. I read somehwere jerry did like the song but had said it was tough playing live due to he lyrics. Are there any other versions out there that the dead played besides the 4 from 91?

• Forum MVP

Dont think so. Im partial to the bust out on 3/18. Love how the crowd recognizes the tune in waves. (Even tho i think crowd noise is enhanced maybe) the ovation at the start of the lyrics gives me chills still. I have only seen it played 4 times as well. Acoustic DSO in Bloomington a few years back. Jubilee 2? From sisters and brothers(owesley county) Stu Allen one year at xmas. And jubilee 5's scarlet> rubin >scarlet

I'm still waiting to catch a DSO one, patiently. Yea dead duck...Woww wow that crowd ovation after the first few notes are played is incredible!!!!!! You can feel the vibe tremendously.Love it.

Furthur played it 23 times, only 3 in 2012 when I caught it. Got lucky. DSO 18 and JGB 77. Would people like to hear this more in rotation? But then again it wouldn't be so special when it does come out, even today. I guess that's why the reaction is through the roof when GD busted it out those few times. Good stuff

• Forum MVP

Awesome.  That was awesome too.  Just didn't know how I was supposed to respond so I didn't really respond.  No emotional response.  Not good.

Love that tune.  Caught a few Furthur one's too.  

• Forum MVP

Ok, let's move on to '93. My list gets a bit longer.  Certainly overall a stronger year than '92. 

1-24-93 (Jerry coming off his Hawaii vacation and still riding his brief rekindling with Barbara Meier-see if there's a video online of the Sugaree)

5-26-93

5-27-93

8-21-93

9-16-93 (just for the opening 4 songs)

• Forum MVP

You prolly got 'em there.

The only run that stuck out for me was the May Cal Expo run. Those where the last shows by the Grateful Dead I ever thought we're very good. That run also marked the end of my true touring days - only partially coincidental.

• Forum MVP

Ok, let's move on to '93. My list gets a bit longer.  Certainly overall a stronger year than '92. 

1-24-93 (Jerry coming off his Hawaii vacation and still riding his brief rekindling with Barbara Meier-see if there's a video online of the Sugaree)

5-26-93

5-27-93

8-21-93

9-16-93 (just for the opening 4 songs)

It was the RFK show on that summer tour that convinced me to pack it in and call it a day.......rough stuff.......

• Forum MVP

Two nights at freedom hall in Louisville had both first sets closing with don't ease, crowd went crazy, my last three night run was spectrum in the fall, even ended up taping over some of the masters later. Philly still was a grateful rocking place, deep culture 1994/95 I found Bluegrass Festivals which have a lot of decent heads

Archived