DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oteils Afro was shaved into a stealie lighthing bolt haha. Donna Jean was there. The whole show was great. Mayer has gelled nicely with bobby and the band. Bobby looked recharged and sang all night. Mayer might be a huge douch in life but he did a awesome job. I was worried about sugaree but it played out beautifully. Second set dark star FOTD scarlet fire was really good, very smooth and fluent. The other one>wharf rat made my night. Wharf rat jam was amazing.It was excellent. Ripple encore very sweet. I had a great time. Not such a huge fan of stadium shows but it's always fun, the lot may not be what it used to be but it's still a good time. Def cool to see 60,000 people rockin out. This dead and co is def better than a year ago.

On a side note, was at a family party today and when I told my uncle I went to the show. He put me in my place. He said that's awesome you had a good time and they played good stuff(showed him setlist).him and my aunt being in a band and musicians since their twentys they were not happy to hear John mayer is in Jerry's spot but they did give him some credit for being a good musician. But then I got some stories from my uncle about his time at Watkins Glenn..Woodstock ..then the Fillmore. Then about 10 other venues. Anyone who experienced those times back then it sounded like one hell of a time, I could only imagine. He said "there's nothing like a grateful dead show" haha! I just smiled ear to ear.So cool to hear that old school real deal shit.

Wear your vintage original dead shirt you bought on ebay, drop phrases like "love the heady veggie burrito" talk spaced out nonsense to strangers as they walk by then it doesn't matter what you hear just as long as you are there. You are cool.

Just my thoughts on this subject.

• Forum MVP

The problem is it always makes you cringe when they get to the Jerry ballads no matter who is singing. Neither Mayer nor Bob can pull it off. I do enjoy listening to some of the P&F shows from 06 with JO and RB.

So does Phil's wife determine the set lists for this band? Or does she let Bobby take care of that detail...?

I certainly empathize with everyone's sentiments regarding the various incarnations of the bands formed by the core 4, but I find Dead and Co. to be very different. From my perspective it is not a group of folks playing with Phil but rather a collaboration. Sure the $$ are great, but since they are all established in their own right, it is hard for me to believe $$ are the main reason. I found Dead and Company to have a positive vibe coming from them, and Weir playing at top form. My one disclaimer is that were DSO/Dead and Co. playing next door to each other on the same night, I would always choose DSO for the old time Grateful Dead sound and feel. But I am happy to have some choices now

• Forum MVP

I'm wondering with dead and co filling stadiums if Phil isn't getting an earful nightly from Mrs for not being a part of it. "How am I going to afford this 250k kitchen with you playing at terrapin crossroads?" "I should have hooked up with Bobby when I had the chance. Yes I may have been 1 of 5 girls in the hotel room at the same time but still..." "Why can't you be more like John?" "You should be singing Morning Dew and standing on the moon, not bob or John."

A good friend of mine posted a link (fb)to scarlet/fire from the other night. I was impressed although I didn't care much when Mayer ran up and down scales. Seems like he was doing it to show he can... A writer from rolling stone many years ago gave analogy of jerry to Michelangelo, it's the chipping away at the marble/absent notes that creates the art. I remember and still think that is a brilliant description of some of what Jerry's style was about. I'm no musician so I'm curious about what the real JM -Jeff's take is on this?

Weir was excellent on what I heard, voice great!

Just informed I'm going to boston next weekend as a gift for my bday with a dead and co show on Saturday night. Never been to fenway for a show should be cool. Might even hit both nights. Gonna try to hit jay peak but prob Won't be seeing DSO untill Utica and maybe even new haven so these guys can fill the void in between. Not such a bad deal!

• Forum MVP

Just informed I'm going to boston next weekend as a gift for my bday with a dead and co show on Saturday night. Never been to fenway for a show should be cool. Might even hit both nights. Gonna try to hit jay peak but prob Won't be seeing DSO untill Utica and maybe even new haven so these guys can fill the void in between. Not such a bad deal!

Cool......I hear that Mayer is going to let Bobby sing "Your Body is a Wonderland" in Boston.......should be rad.

• Forum MVP

Only time I saw ratdog was at deer creek furthur fest in 96. Was hoping for a GD revival and instead got this nonsense. We wanted dead and got an inferior product. Mickey hart played even less dead. Was a disappointed crowd. That's when we realized it was over.

I Need a Miracle > City Girls > Eternity, Blackbird, K.C. Moan*, Juke, Minglewood Blues, This Time Forever > Shade of Grey > Cassidy+ > Bass > Josephine

*-with Pete Sears (Keys/Accordian); +-with Bruce Hornsby (Keys)

(Furthur Festival)

• Forum MVP

Listened to a crappy-ish stream from last night at the old Pine Knob.  It sounded pretty rough to me, with often a sloooowww tempo but I'm guessing you had to be there, right?  I was wanting to be entertained by some good 'ole GD music but I didn't last but a couple songs.

Bobby must have been feeling the urge last night with the pre-drums segment of the 2nd set:

PITB > Estimated > Cumberland > Truckin > PITB

Imagine him squealing with delight if the band let him have this string back in the day.  Could have been a real setlist in 94-95 given Jerry was checking out.

Archived