DeaD and Co., thoughts?

TnJed#48

On 3/13/2018 at 1:56 PM, Rude said:

Sounds like someone has never listened to the Grateful Dead or a troll or both. Never heard anyone think deadco was better. No one. Then you say they take it beyond the grateful dead’s “Drug induced” jams. Wtf does that even mean.  To make these kinds of nonsense statements just to act like a troll isn’t cool here. I assume you are trolling as no one on the planet could think deadco is a better product than the dead. It’s silly even to contemplate. I get if you are young and seeing shows for the 1st time, but don’t want to burst your bubble but deadco is nowhere near the level of the dead, Dso, JRAD, hell even hyryder and other bar bands I’ve seen.  They have a big PA system and a big light system which is cool AF and the big event is fun, but when you throw the word musically in, the conversation changes and making comparisons with the original with Jerry?  Huh?  I shouldn’t have wasted time even responding. Of course I’m being trolled but whatever 

Sometimes people get so high they say the stupidest shit but then again troll sounds more logical here

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Trayster2 said:

I didn't realize these boards would be all about attacking other posters' and their opinions.  I am a Grateful Dead and a DSO fan or I wouldn't have come here. 

To clarify, the word "induced" can be defined as follows:

"Succeed in persuading or influencing (someone) to do something.
Synonyms: persuade, convince, prevail upon, get, make, prompt, move, inspire, influence, encourage, motivate

GD would be the first to agree that they performed many a times under the influence, indicative to my meaning "drug induced jams."

Just curious, are you the moderator of these boards?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't drug induced jams as a term it was more in the context of how you used it because when i read your post i was also kinda like wtf does that even mean, some people me included take this music very serious, maybe at times too serious. No harm no foul

• Forum MVP

So I’ve had a different discussion with many people at the deadco shows. There’s a definite problem musically with the band. Their transitions are a simplistic at best and a train wreck muvh of the time. We aren’t sure the reason. Several people believe it’s actually Bobby, a few the drummers and others Mayer. After watching a superb Duo show last Saturday, I feel it may be neither Bobby or Mayer but both. By this I mean they have no feel of what the other is doing. It’s a lot better than Nashville 2015 where bobby threw his hands up in the air and stopped playing. Phil with Bobby was splendid. The whole band performed complex jams and transitions perfectly. I listened to some tonight. It was really really good. Besides a lyric lost or half a song forgotten unfortunately, the playing was top notch. If you want to analyze deadco, just listen to transitions. Note they don’t do full band transitions much if any. Usually the drummers drop out to let the guitarists establish the new song or the drummers do it without the guitarists. Compare that to literally any dead tribute out there that will go full band blend from 1 song to another. I can’t recall Dso ever and I mean ever, messing up a transition. The worst messup besides lyrics was 1 member missing a hard stop and that’s in 100+ shows and that was 1 note extra on what I think was a blind ending. Things blur but Dso and the dead really never flubbed the music part. They are connected by ESP. Deadco is linked by a Tin can and string. The transitions should be the best part of the show. The part that makes you go did you blend this into this? If you watch a whole deadco show there are so many points the nand looks confused. But again there are 70+ yr old guys playing with a brand new deadhead who has never in his life played music like this. That’s a seriously tough proposition. It’s like the best Ford mechanic on the planet now having to computer tune dragsters. He’s no longer this elite mechanic. He jumped into the realm of rocket scientists and is trying to keep up. I see deadco for the PA and party.  There’s nothing like a monster PA outdoors where sound is moving around the stadium. Jubilee is the closest we get to that with Dso. Dso also plays mostly places with a GA setup. Boulder was the only stadium where deadco did that and it created a much better atmosphere without assigned seats. Sold out venues with seats suck balls if you want a dance party. Dso crowds are smaller but with 90% advanced deadheads. Deadco crowds are filled with many civilians wanting to check out the party. Guessing it was like what tour people thought of the touchheads in the late 80s. Maybe I’m being discriminatory but Dso shows are always bigger per capita dance parties. You won’t get 95% throwdown at deadco like you see at many Dso shows or how you used to get at dead shows. I think I’m just rambling now as i lie in bed. 

18 minutes ago, Rude said:

So I’ve had a different discussion with many people at the deadco shows. There’s a definite problem musically with the band. Their transitions are a simplistic at best and a train wreck muvh of the time. We aren’t sure the reason. Several people believe it’s actually Bobby, a few the drummers and others Mayer. After watching a superb Duo show last Saturday, I feel it may be neither Bobby or Mayer but both. By this I mean they have no feel of what the other is doing. It’s a lot better than Nashville 2015 where bobby threw his hands up in the air and stopped playing. Phil with Bobby was splendid. The whole band performed complex jams and transitions perfectly. I listened to some tonight. It was really really good. Besides a lyric lost or half a song forgotten unfortunately, the playing was top notch. If you want to analyze deadco, just listen to transitions. Note they don’t do full band transitions much if any. Usually the drummers drop out to let the guitarists establish the new song or the drummers do it without the guitarists. Compare that to literally any dead tribute out there that will go full band blend from 1 song to another. I can’t recall Dso ever and I mean ever, messing up a transition. The worst messup besides lyrics was 1 member missing a hard stop and that’s in 100+ shows and that was 1 note extra on what I think was a blind ending. Things blur but Dso and the dead really never flubbed the music part. They are connected by ESP. Deadco is linked by a Tin can and string. The transitions should be the best part of the show. The part that makes you go did you blend this into this? If you watch a whole deadco show there are so many points the nand looks confused. But again there are 70+ yr old guys playing with a brand new deadhead who has never in his life played music like this. That’s a seriously tough proposition. It’s like the best Ford mechanic on the planet now having to computer tune dragsters. He’s no longer this elite mechanic. He jumped into the realm of rocket scientists and is trying to keep up. I see deadco for the PA and party.  There’s nothing like a monster PA outdoors where sound is moving around the stadium. Jubilee is the closest we get to that with Dso. Dso also plays mostly places with a GA setup. Boulder was the only stadium where deadco did that and it created a much better atmosphere without assigned seats. Sold out venues with seats suck balls if you want a dance party. Dso crowds are smaller but with 90% advanced deadheads. Deadco crowds are filled with many civilians wanting to check out the party. Guessing it was like what tour people thought of the touchheads in the late 80s. Maybe I’m being discriminatory but Dso shows are always bigger per capita dance parties. You won’t get 95% throwdown at deadco like you see at many Dso shows or how you used to get at dead shows. I think I’m just rambling now as i lie in bed. 

Rude i might just do shoreline to hang with you, just let me know what it's gonna cost me beforehand.

• Forum MVP
On 3/13/2018 at 4:36 PM, crazy digits said:

I like this band....actually....and seem to remember a few that were there in chicago that were having a real good time,,,,,now, they have a big problem...fucking yawn....who gives a fuck what you think? and, you act like you own this board, yawn....,again....everyone is entitled to their opinion...yawn again...and thats mine...yawn again...for that matter, did you even see the GD? Prolly not? and.... a couple of us were the 7th and 8th people who signed up after Ron ( thank you Ron for everything you do ) started this thing up, yawn again...who cares? as my mommy said one time, if you have nothing good to say about something, then don't say it....yawn again....oops. sorry broke my mom's own suggestion/advice...just tired of listening to all of this crap...yawn again...and addition to that, I very rarely come on here because of trolls that control the banter here...yawn again...sorry, couldnt take it anymore...yawn, YAWN!!!

So I just read this more in depth. Are u considering me a troll?  I only got to see the Grateful Dead 5x. I got to do 1 run which was cut to a non run 2 shows by gatecrasgers and saw the next to last show. A friend got 3 tickets to the New York fall shows and we were staying outside the city and seeing 3 of the 6 msg. I don’t act like I run the boards. I chat on here. I comment. I talk with friends. I got upset with a few takes that I believed to be attacking the Grateful Dead whos music was perfection. And i would never attack a friend like this. Not sure why you would feel the need to attack me. I didn’t grow up in an area with dead shows. I didn’t get exposed to a live show until 22 yrs old and Jerry died when I was 23. 90% of the music I’ve listen to from 95 on is GD music. I’m also sorry I never discovered DSO earlier. I live in a small town and wasn’t exposed and things like Facebook were still farely new. Now through technology I’m exposed to all sorts of dead music that was harder to access before. Many people on this forum who are very legit heads didn’t discover Dso until the 2010’s. It doesn’t mean they are lesser people. Plus I never attack anyone unless I think they are trolling. When a 1st post says deadco takes the music to its max potential and GD is drug induced jamming I take offense but never thought someone inthough was a friend would attack me personally. The best advice someone gave me was when in a bad mood the worst thing you can do is take it out on people who have your back and regardless of this i consider you a friend and will always have your back if needed. 

• Forum MVP

How you perceive me is a reflection of you. 

My response to you is an awareness of me. 

Once you let something go it carries your vibration but is heard by the timber of the drum that receives/ perceives it. 

We receive the higher vibration and as and as it comes through your chakras it is affected by the strange vibrations you might be holding onto like attachments to a picture of the world, expectation of an outcome, a feeling. Fascinating stuff really. 

Check yourself and carry on. 

I saw a grate shirt- it said “I am calmer than you are.” That cracks me UP!!!

• Forum MVP

First, it’s good to hear you kids fighting nice. Ain’t no time to hate. I caught Deadco when they first started up, maybe five shows in. It was exciting, promising. I saw them when they came back around a few months later. Basically the same set list played the same way. Predictable. Mayer needs to learn a lot more songs.  I feel they are a beatlemania kind of thing. Dark Star helped themselves to the torch, filled the void, and are moving the music forward just exactly perfect. To be able to go to shows again, ain’t that heaven sent. They have one hell of a head of steam built up. They never cease to amaze me going on eighteen years now.  It’s also quite nice to be able to hear them lay out songs from before my time seeing Dead shows. They brought pigpen back to life. I find it hard to express myself but that’s just the way I feel. God bless the Dark Star Orchestra.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP
On March 15, 2018 at 5:59 PM, Greg from Chestertown said:

First, it’s good to hear you kids fighting nice. Ain’t no time to hate. I caught Deadco when they first started up, maybe five shows in. It was exciting, promising. I saw them when they came back around a few months later. Basically the same set list played the same way. Predictable. Mayer needs to learn a lot more songs.  I feel they are a beatlemania kind of thing. Dark Star helped themselves to the torch, filled the void, and are moving the music forward just exactly perfect. To be able to go to shows again, ain’t that heaven sent. They have one hell of a head of steam built up. They never cease to amaze me going on eighteen years now.  It’s also quite nice to be able to hear them lay out songs from before my time seeing Dead shows. They brought pigpen back to life. I find it hard to express myself but that’s just the way I feel. God bless the Dark Star Orchestra.

Amen

Archived