College football 2016

Rude

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Houston was very impressive yesterday. The SEC went out and played a number of good teams in week 1, no shame in losing a couple of those, but Kentucky imploding and the performances of Arkansas, Tennessee and Mississippi St. are real black marks.

• Forum MVP

I just don't want to hear the top to bottom we have a test ever week a two loss SEC champ is better than a one loss or even an undefeated elsewhere.  Outside of Alabama I just don't see much for great teams.  Maybe Texas A&M, but LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St., Tenn, Kentucky, Arkansas...they all look pretty mediocre.  

• Forum MVP

Lmao. If you bring up KY who is a bottom feeder you are digging. The SEC played 5 ranked teams week 1. How many did others play? The sec was 3-2 vs ranked teams. Losses to number 2 Clemson and number 4 Florida st. LSU sucks. They have no QB and never should have been looked at like a contender. Top to bottom the SEC is still the best easily.

I love that 1 bad week means the haters forget the following

1. The SEC won more bowl games last year than anyone in history by over a 20 point margin.

2. The SEC again for the 10th straight year had the lost NFL players drafted.

3. The SEC again for the 10th straight year had the best recruiting classss based on every recruiting service.

So I get that the haters need something to talk about.

The SEC isn't afraid to play teams like Clemson who 2 different sec teams play this year. They played 5 rated teams week 1, only losing to the 2nd and 4th ranked teams Compare that to 1 for the big ten.

Talent makes teams. Why does Ohio st, Florida st, Bama, Georgia, LSU always content for a championship. They always recruit big. A conference is down if they stop recruiting. Sorry but that isn't happening here.

• Forum MVP

Rude ... get a grip. ... really gets old the constant SEC long winded posts you put on these threads ...

Can you please just say your an Alabama fan and want to have the child of Nick Saban...

With me you don't get long winded posts that people scroll thru ....(unless in this case as I try to bring some sanity to this thread )... with me it is simple and to the point ... like:

I love my Ohio State Buckeyes !...

BUT you will continue to carry on with this SEC is so amazing it even created planet earth crap all the while as one team wins the conference again .... thus forcing me to leave another thread simply because of the bias and last word needed on your part ... goodness we all get it ...you love the SEC but tone it down ...

• Forum MVP

As 1 team wins the conference again? Umm so Bama being easily the best team in the country devalues the rest of the conference? It seems that if the SEC doesn't dominate like they did last year in the bowls(and to devalue that people tried to point to Florida), then they are weak. Yeah ok.

Let's just stick to the only unbiased poll, spreads. Biases in it affect pockets and just like politics, beliefs only go as far as they impact the bottom line.

• Forum MVP

Hate it all you want, but the FPI has after week 1,7 SEC in top 20, 2 big 10, 4 ACC with Florida st number 1, 2 pac10, 3 big 12.

It's a spread based indicator and it is damn accurate.

• Forum MVP

I'm a numbers geek and I try to be as unbiased as I can. In basketball, I don't think I've ever pumped UK up more than their rating. I'm usually highly critical of my teams. If I've posted any hypocritical posts in the past and now am acting like that is more or less relevant than my analysis now, please call me on it. There will be years where a team like Iowa runs an amazing run, but they can never be consistent with that level of play, not having the talent. Ohio state had an off year even though they were 12-1. Their talent took them through it even though they played uncharacteristicly. Iowa needed a crap schedule playing no one and lots of luck getting through. The SEC could lose more this year than in many years, but they recruited the same this year as always and over time, that leads to steady top play. Just look at Rivals. Every year 6/7 of the top 10 classes. Compare an Iowa to Arkansas. Not even close in talent. Iowa is the Big Ten's KY. Iowa has a better coach by far but thy recruit the same. What's weird is in the Wisconsin/LSU game about throwing stones. Is that racist to think of black goes south and white goes north. Looks like Barlow was thinking about football. We joked that Wisconsin was a stereotypical team. All white line. White QB. 2 black wr and a black running back. And I think their kicker had a mustache.

Ok. I'm done til Sunday ;)

• Forum MVP

Louisville is now number 1 in the FPI meaning they will be favored likely the rest of the season besides maybe the clemson game.  Louisville looked great on both sides of the ball.  That freshman QB who looked brilliant in the 2nd half vs Ole Miss turned back into a pumpkin.  UPnfortunately he had his freshman game vs a team where he needed a career game to pull it out.  My dad was at that game and my mom said he had an extra ticket but didnt think i would want to go.  HUH? :(

Looks like the SEC will be adding Tom Herman very soon(or maybe Bobby Petrino).  Herman stayed 1 more year at Houston because no premier opening was available.  Next year, he will have that premier opening in LSU.  Les Miles is doing nothing with that 5-star talent.   The boosters wanted him gone last year.  The fans retorted that he won a national championship and had like the 2nd highest active coach winning percentage.  The boosters saw that his coaching skills have not evolved with the current game.  After he is fired, he will likely take up an announcers gig because he has personality for days, but I'm thinking he would be perfect at UK.  UK is probably the 40th most elite job in college coaching which is about on par with his current coaching skills.  Plus we offer contract extensions to horrible coaches.  Stoops wins 1 big game last year and gets an extension then he loses 5 straight.  Stupidity from the AD.  Plus Ky's new republican governor slashed education funding 1st thing in office.  Not sure how a 12 million buyout will play in the current climate but Stoops has to be booted.  Our governor isn't a sports fan and just gave a speech saying if hillary is elected then blood needs to be spilled.  I'm just hoping he means stoops.  And everyone thought that with a name like Stoops, it had to be good..........

• Forum MVP

Houston doesnt have the facilities.  They never will.  They dont have a football culture.  No one will ever care about the Houston Cougars.  Last year he decided to stay because no premier opening.  He wont take some small upgrade like Missouri or South Carolina.  Elite programs like Michigan, OSU, Florida St, Georgia, Florida, LSU, Bama, Tennessee, Texas, USC had no head coaching openings.  He's done all he can at Houston.  It will never get any better than right now.  They dont have the boosters at Houston.  They never will have LSU type boosters who say we will pay the 20mil buyout on a coach.  Boosters get you those 100mil training facilities that get kids to come.  Have you see Bama's new facility?  It has like a 100 person hot tub room that looks like it belongs in a vegas hotel.  Bobby Petrino is a different story.  Louisville has a nice new stadium.  They sell beer.  It has a different feel plus they have a longer tradition of football although its not that long in comparison to Notre dame, bama and michigan, but definitely more than houston.  I think Petrino would leave Louisville for LSU.  If they won a national championship i think it would be hard to leave, but I think Petrino is top 5 coaches in the country.  Hes done amazing things with Louisville.  I think if you give him LSU type talent, he will be contending for a championship annually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Orgeron might keep the gig if they beat Bama and go on a roll. I think Herman is more likely to end up at Texas or USC, but we shall see. I'd say the biggest surprises at mid season are Washington and Colorado out west along with Tennessee actually winning close games. If Tennessee could somehow split with Bama and A&M they will be in real good shape. Of course they would have to beat one of them again in the SEC championship game.

• Forum MVP

Tennessee looks like the team we saw last year in the 2nd half of games lol.  Unfortunately they look like Kentucky in the 1st half.  Not sure about them.  Dobbs is downright horrible early in games.  But Tennessee has depth and maybe that is why they are able to make comebacks; either that or they are lazy and dont fight until games are on the line.

I think Arkansas has a real shot at home against bama this week even though they had 2 RB's, a TE, Guard, and QB all get drafted in the 1st 6 rounds of the draft.  That is a massive offensive hit to take.  Arkansas has been that team that quietly has won big games over the last few years.  Finishing 4-5th in that west was nothing to laugh at the last few years. 

The game I want to really see is a playoff game of Bama vs Michigan.  If you know what I like, then this is my drool game.  I want to see evil swarming defense.  Sacks, no missed tackles, TFL's, RB's getting stood up, TE's having to battle LB's for yards. I love games that are 14-10 that are because of great defense and not just pathetic offense.  It's why I despise the Big 12.  KY defenses and Oregon offenses.  80 yard passing TD's because no cb was within 10 yards is horrible football.  I cant stomach watching my own team because even when KY makes it a game, they always allow that huge play to lose, except to south carolina, who no matter how bad we are or how good USC is, we seem to mostly beat them.  Its been 30 years since we beat Florida even when they were horrible, but we can beat USC.  But then again even when florida is bad, they have better players and they will make a play or 2 we arent capable of. 

Herman I think is losing most of his offense after this year.  It's why he was in no rush to leave.  Cupcake schedule with everyone returining.  Hold out for the elite jobs.  USC is a great gig for sure--top 5(its pretty hard to rank best jobs as Notre dame used to be the number 1 job and its not even close anymore)  They can recruit with a 6-6 team better than anyone in the country.  I mean the players get to bang hottie southern cal girls and I saw a stat that like 35% of USC girls had boob jobs.  It never rains and the weather is perfect.  Toss in the hottest girls in the country and thats a young kid's dream.  The players get to go to celebrity parties and there is a high liklihood that you will bang a kardashian if you have the appropriate tan.

Florida State is sort of a shocker to me.  I guess that Ole Miss game should have told me something.  They made that amazing comeback to win, but their defense isn't good.  And a freshman QB will be a freshman at times.  Without good D, you will lose.  Florida St did lose a crap load of talent on D.  They lost the best defender in college in Ramsey and that right there opens up the other half of the field which was on lockdown last year.

• Forum MVP

If LSU ran the table with that QB, then I would be calling you Jimmy the Greek.  No doubt they have the line and are deep at RB, but their D isn't at its level from 5-10 years ago where it didnt need offense to win.  I will make a tee that says Teacher Matt is a genius and wear it to a show that you are at if they run the table.  You forget that LSU has to play more than 3-4 top 40 teams in a season unlike Ohio State.  At least this year OSU is beating the scrubs appropriately.  They are massively improved over last year and I think that Michigan will be hard pressed to stop them.  Even though the Big ten besides 3-4 teams is pretty bad, OSU is playing like a deserving playoff team beating the scrubs by 40+.  No squeakers this year.  Unfortunately last year cost you 2 years of your life with gameday stress and that Michigan State coaching debacle.  The big ten winner this year will deserve the playoff spot unlike Michigan State last year.  If the season finished right now, I think it would almost be a tossup who would win a 4 team playoff.  I think the top 3 are pretty equal and those are Bama Ohio State and Michigan.  Michigan is the wildcard as they are the most likely of the 3 to completely fall apart in a game as they have the least well rounded game of those 3 teams, but Harbaugh likely has them wound tight. 

• Forum MVP

They are going to have to make that game up if it has potential implications on who makes the SEC title game I would think. Tennessee would be awfully pissed if they have 2 losses and Florida has 1 without playing this game and if LSU goes on a run the same can be said for one of the teams in the west. Seems to me like they could have moved the game to Sunday.

• Forum MVP

There's no making up in college football. It's not logistically possible. There are no off weeks both share. Last year LSU was short 1 game too.

The only option is to delay the SEC championship game but that could cause a worse nightmare. Imagine an 11-1 bama vs a 12-0 Tennessee. The winner gets last playoff. If delayed then you can't set the bcs

Archived