College football 2016

Rude

• Forum MVP

Bama vs Tennessee proved to be irrelevant as did Tennessee. Ole Miss joined the list of overrated. Bama is for real. Conference looks down on true quality teams. Bama starting to look like a real easy road to playoffs.

So you are overrated if you lose to top teams.  Everyone will lose to Bama this year.  They will win it all.  They are just too good on defense.  That doesnt mean that when Ohio state or michigan loses that they arent the 2nd best team just because they lost to bama.  Ole miss lost to Bama by a field goal, lost to florida state blowing a lead and lost on the road to Arkansas.  You actually play teams and you have a chance to lose.  Do like Michigan and play no one and you are undefeated.  Look at Nebraska.  They are top 10 playing no one at all.  Wait until bowl games again.  Its disheartening when people try to compare apples to oranges.  The SEC every year gets 10 of the top 20 recruiting classes and over 50% of the 5 star athletes.  People like to try to compare teams with no talent like Iowa to teams with losses because they played 8 ranked teams.  Sorry but you cant compare.  Its like saying a 12-4 USFL team is better than a 9-7 NFL team. 

At the top I think Big ten has 2 of the top 4 teams.  In terms of playoff caliber teams they do hold the edge for sure.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

It's also hard to get a read on Washington. They look good when you watch them but I am not sure about the competition. I will be shocked if the national champ does not come from the group including Alabama, Ohio St., Clemson or Michigan.

• Forum MVP

They won't give both Ohio state and Michigan a slot unless Washington falls. The problem I have is michigans schedule. Have you seen it? Ohio states is fine. It's definitely not a strong schedule but it's nothing like Michigans. Michigan has one of the weakest in the country week to week. They have Ohio state and Wisconsin and that's it. Colorado non conference is a joke. If you want to contend for a championship you MUST schedule a hard non con. If they turned out to be a dud, that's one thing but Colorado hasn't been good in years. Even a mediocre Michigan goes 9-3. It's reminiscent of Iowa last year. Not 1 team they played was in the top 25.

I get the hate for the SEC but I don't get the nonsense about the SEC is average with 1 good team. It defies actual logic. The SEC even in the ridiculous AP has like 7 ranked teams. In the more accurate spread based FPI, they have 6 of the top 12. Start betting against them if you believe it's nonsense. Last years bowl games showed how accurate it is.

Michigan and Ohio state are elite. But A&M is undefeated playing a much harder schedule than either of those 2 teams. I think Michigan and OSU are better teams mind you.

Oh and did you hear herbstreit say Ohio state is up here and the rest of the big ten down here during the games 2 weeks ago. That dude should not do games with Ohio state. Hes so ridiculously biased for his team and a broadcaster should be unbiased.

I'm not sure where my bias is. Last year I criticized how poorly OSU and msu played and that was completely true. This year I've done nothing but praise Ohio state and Michigan and Wisconsin. But a team like Nebraska who keeps sneaking wins against scrubs will not get my praise. And teams like ole miss who are top teams get ragged because they have to play elite teams.

The SEC has 2 games vs Clemson, 2 vs Florida state and 1 vs Louisville just from the ACC. Did anyone but OSU and Wisconsin even schedule a ranked team? The big ten is the 4th best conference top to bottom this year. They have 2 great teams. 1 good team and 1 pretty good team. The SEC has 1 great team, 6 good teams and 2 pretty good teams.

The big 10 has literally 9 bad teams. The SEC starts conference play week 1 so they accumulate losses quicker and don't start 3-0. This is one thing I wish they would change in the SEC. It lets people argue that Minnesota is good lol.

• Forum MVP

The big 10 does not have 9 bad teams, that is a ridiculous statement. I would agree that Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, northwestern and Minnesota are not very good. The same could be said for South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi St. I think Mississippi is a pretty good team but it is hard to argue about their tough schedule when they have lost all 3 tough games they have played. They also haven't beaten anyone. Their wins are Memphis, Georgia and Wofford, and Georgia is not good, they lost to Vandy at home.

• Forum MVP

The big 10 does not have 9 bad teams, that is a ridiculous statement. I would agree that Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, northwestern and Minnesota are not very good. The same could be said for South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi St. I think Mississippi is a pretty good team but it is hard to argue about their tough schedule when they have lost all 3 tough games they have played. They also haven't beaten anyone. Their wins are Memphis, Georgia and Wofford, and Georgia is not good, they lost to Vandy at home.

Well 9 of the 14 big ten teams are not ranked in the top 40 of the FPI.  4 of the 14 SEC are not in the top 40 of the FPI.  Being 42nd isnt bad so I am wrong in my statement there.

10 top 40 teams in the FPI are SEC.  4 are Big ten.  You can argue how great indiana is because they almost beat nebraska but Indiana is in the 60's in the FPI.  So if a team in the Big ten plays Ohio state and Michigan and loses to both then they are bad?  Thats your reasoning when Ole Miss has lost to 2 top 10 teams(at the time they played) and another ranked team on the road.  The FPI looks at score differential.  Losing by less than a TD to Alabama means something.  Beating teams by 40 means something.  I get that you cant be in the top 4 for a playoff when you lose, but to discredit a team when they actually play tough teams is ridiculous.  How many big ten even play anyone as hard as a Florida state in their noncon?  If any elite SEC team avoided playing a hard team out of conference I would be the 1st to call them out.  Luckily the SEC is the premier league and they play the premier out of conference schedule. 

Ole miss played Florida St, Bama, arkansas, and they have in the next 4 weeks LSU, auburn and Texas A&M.  Yeah only a loser team cant go undefeated there.  You didnt mention how they beat Georgia by 30.

The funny thing is if you said the ACC is as good as the SEC this year, you could have a legit argument for debate.  But the big ten is the 4th best conference.  You have 2 of the elite and a couple other good teams but most of the big ten resides in the cellar and based on early recruiting for next year, it looks like you arent adding much besides Ohio state again with a top 3 class.  Michigan has the best coach in the conference, but their recruiting isnt anyhting like Ohio State's.  Ohio state will dominate every year with Michigan winning every now and then, but the talent level difference between those 2 is large.  To put it in perspective, OSU would have the 1st or 2nd recruiting class in the SEC at this point.  Michigan would have the 9th best.  Michigan state the 12th best. 

• Forum MVP

I'm taking this weekend off from watching any football and camping down near Mammoth cave, isn't that pretty close to you Rude? You should come down and debate around the campfire with some tunes.

• Forum MVP

If a and m doesn't lose by less than 2 touchdowns, they exposed as frauds.

Give me a break with this nonsense.  When Bama's D is playing to the level it can play, you dont score.  This year may be their best D in years because of the secondary.  Everyone is a fraud you dont like.  A&M has beaten UCLA, Auburn and Arkansas by 14+, and Tennessee.  These are teams loaded with talent.  How are they a fraud if they lose to Bama by more than 2 TDs?

Also compare another unbeaten team's schedule with A&M's so far.  There is none with a schedule as hard that's unbeaten.  Plus they have looked very good in their wins.   If Alabama is your baseline to compare every team too then why even play the games.  If you dont almost beat the best team in football on their home field, you are a fraud?  I think your analytical skills have just been exposed as fraudulent with this nonsense comment.  I will call out teams that play no one who barely sneak by.  A&M aint that and they certainly arent a fraud.  Im no A&M fan as I dont like any texas team and was pissed when they entered the SEC, but they are legit.

• Forum MVP

they legit so far. I hope they knock off bama. Both would still be legit. I'm not saying they aren't good just not in playoff top 10 team discussion. They are right now. SEC looks weak right now. Bama good and everyone else not so much.

• Forum MVP

And by weak I'm comparing the SEC to the SEC in years past. They are still the top conference. Weak on education. Make excuses and deals with authorities to keep players out of trouble and on field. Great preparation for NFL. It will be tough to knock them off as top conference.

• Forum MVP

Weak on education?  I dont watch football for the scholar athletes.  Of course state schools in the south are weak on education.  They are the worst.  If you want to watch scholars play football, check out the ivy league on youtube.  And the SEC is no different than any school when a star gets in trouble.  Ive never ragged Ohio state for the intelligence of their players.  That would be ridiculously hypocritical.  I dont care if you can read as long as you can tackle.  If an Ohio state guy gets arrested ill laugh but not blame the school for trying to get him out of it.  Moneys involved.  of course people will cover.  And Notre dame was the last major school that required their athletes to be semi intelligent but that requirement ended many years ago.  Even Duke will take anyone these days.  You can be like Vandy with higher standards and suck or you look at their 40 time more than their GPA and put together a good team.

• Forum MVP

Education is particularly weak at those schools. The top programs all a little shaky on academics though. I won't deny that. I went to Georgetown. Very high academic standards. We've also had Allen Iverson on our team. Basketball kids held to a different standard. That standard still higher than Alabama football or Kentucky basketball.

Even the Ivy League adjusts their standards. A 1200 SAT with a 3.6 gpa at my high school got into Yale because he was gonna start on their offensive line.

SEC and their coverup/agreements with local authorities are more involved and developed than elsewhere. Those are facts. That doesn't mean Ohio st or any other top program isn't doing the same shit. The top programs are trying to catch up. SEC is the measuring stick.

• Forum MVP

Education is particularly weak at those schools. The top programs all a little shaky on academics though. I won't deny that. I went to Georgetown. Very high academic standards. We've also had Allen Iverson on our team. Basketball kids held to a different standard. That standard still higher than Alabama football or Kentucky basketball.

Even the Ivy League adjusts their standards. A 1200 SAT with a 3.6 gpa at my high school got into Yale because he was gonna start on their offensive line.

SEC and their coverup/agreements with local authorities are more involved and developed than elsewhere. Those are facts. That doesn't mean Ohio st or any other top program isn't doing the same shit. The top programs are trying to catch up. SEC is the measuring stick.

Hold up.  Are you actually claiming that Georgetown under John Thompson kept high standards of education.  OMG thats seriously laughable.

And Im sorry that you really think the SEC has these special rules that no one else does.  Come on bro.  I know you hate them but thats nothing different than any school.  Look at the corruption at UNC.  Look at Louisville.  Look at all the schools that got the death penalty. 

This is about football.  I dont care about police not arresting kids.  You believe we dont lock up enough in this country?  This country needs to stop locking so many up.  We lock up more than any country on earth.  College kids should get a break to an extent.  Im not big on coverups like Penn State involving real crime, but kids with weed should be overlooked.  I just dont get what you are arguing here.  I know you arent for more strict laws or more strict enforcement of these laws.  Are you saying we need to start arresting more kids for pot?  I never figured you for a crime hardliner.  You need to get over your hatred of the SEC because you are throwing things out that are 100% against your beliefs.

• Forum MVP

I'm not for more drug arrests that involve imprisonment. I'm okay with no penalty just want suspensions and treatment to be fair and equitable across all schools. And I haven't disagreed with you all the big schools doing it. Problem is every team in the SEC thinks they a big school. It's not just the top. ND came down pretty hard on kids this year. I said kids on basketball team held to a different standard. But the standards are high. Those kids all have tutors. Other people do their work.

• Forum MVP

I'm ready to see more balance in college football. I'm tired of bama. No actual hate for SEC just see the stuff they do and that other teams try to do to catch up. Corruption rampant all over if that's your point. Not just SEC.

Only thing I've actually argued is SEC is down this year compared to previous years of SEC dominance. Bowl games could change all that.

• Forum MVP

Of course everyone not from half of alabama wants to see bama go down.  Unfortunately, they recruit steadily the best and have the best coaching infrastructure.  If you are the best in the nation at defensive end, which school would you attend to make you the best you could be?  Lots of 5 star guys at Bama get very little playing time until their Junior year.  That also builds character and is motivation to become better.  You can become a 1st round pick playing for Murray State.  The scouts dont discriminate based on your school.  The NFL is such big money, finding stars at division 2 schools is how scouts earn their keep.  Anyone who develops and plays hard at any school can become a pro, but if Im the best at my position on defense and believe I will become even better, Id probably choose Alabama.  The risk with Alabama is if you dont develop to your potential you never see action.  Thats a serious risk.  They have many top rated guys who leave after a few years because they dont ever play.   And last year was the best year in SEC history.  All 7 west teams were ranked at 1 point which is crazy to think about.  This year Miss State lost Dak.  They are now a 50th team.  Of course the SEC isnt as good.  They had 10 top 25 at 1 point.  But if you compare them to any other year, this is one of their best years again.  And based on metrics, it holds.  And this they only have 1 potential playoff team is silly.  How many playoff teams do other conferences have.  Big 10 has 2.  And the reason that Michigan has a big shot is because of their schedule.  If you have no risk of losing a game, of course you can go undefeated.  I dont but the metrics on them.  I think OSU will crush them, not be an underdog. 

And I dont know why we are even having this discussion.  I never claimed the SEC could do no wrong or was unbeatable.  Im just defending ridiculous statements like "SEC looks weak this year".  You make a statement like that then Ill pull out statistics.  Ill give you full conference ratings in a gambling spread metric.  Note spreads dont hold, but this is where the money puts it and the only thing in the world that holds no bias is when money is involved.  I told people who said trump is going to win that hes getting 7-1 odds on an online gambling site.  If you are that sure, place a bet and make a chunk of cash.  Trust me the bookies aren't biased or they wont be a bookie for long. Or if you are so sure on the election give me even odds and Ill bet Hillary.  They then shut up.  But metrics are not infallible and I concede that.  But they do help you come to a consensus.

• Forum MVP

The SEC is weak compared to their own dominance of the majority of the last 10 years I believe is a factual statement. One that records and even the FPI would agree with. I'm not comparing them to the big 12 or the MAC. I'm comparing them to themselves. Just admit SEC was stronger top to bottom 5 years ago. I don't see how anyone so involved with metrics would disagree with that.

Archived