Dewey Beach #2

chinacatfunflower

ok, one of the strangest shows I have ever seen....maybe even a couple I had never heard??  A one drummer elective, can't imagine they have done more than 7,  in the 2590 shows they have done. Calling out to one of the band members to verify this small little tid bit I heard during the dancin jam Dancin > hypmotize jam > Dancin? Its killing me to know....I have heard this jam before and think it is from kingfish album...please help...THANKS!

HUGE Jack Straw, pride of cucumonga > king bee > pride, monster 2nd set

Now that's what I call an elective for the ages! Such a variety of songs, almost all from early in the Dead's repertoire. So cool to have a stand alone Scarlet close out the first set. While I generally love Scarlet>Fire's, I am quite partial to the 1976 style Scarlets, which could be so adventurous and mind melting. And a generous dose of Pig tunes to boot! Man, would I have been all smiles at this one, and sorry I missed it. Perhaps Mr. Eaton will see fit to include this show as part of his occasional Nugs releases. We can only hope so!

Sorry but you guys lost me on this one, Seen huge amount of shows & can't ever remember a setlist like this one?? It wouldn't be too unusual if it wasn't THE ANNIVERSARY OF JERRY'S PASSING! I make the trip down to Dewey every year from NY. Love the venue & the vibe of the place. Night 1 rocked!  I was pretty sure night 2 would be an elective and was looking forward to  classic DEAD Jerry tunes & maybe some JGB. But it was cover night for some reason I cant figure out? I know alot of the crowd felt the same way & to be honest by the 2nd set the place cleared out. I hate to complain but I just don't get it. The place erupted when FINALLY Jack Straw was played..8 songs into 1st set! IMHO I would think someone from the band would say something about Jerry. To be fair the show did pick up alot of steam from eyes to Let It Grow,, So we finish up with...wait for it..Im a hog for you baby! WTF? Sorry to be so critical but needed to put mt 2 cents in. 

• Forum MVP

I'm sorry you didn't have an a plus night. Something probsbly should have been said to commemorate his passing but then again who really cares. Let their be songs. Today is just like any other day sun going up and down.

I think you got some real gems in that show. Some of it would've lost me too. Would've preferred a huge missions or like a road in Jerry's honor to close but sometimes you get what you get. Hopefully, the next one is better.

I was also at Dewey and totally agree with THE CHILD.  After 1st night we were excited for the show as most of the crowd seemed to be at the start.  With each song the energy left the room.  2nd set was better for the most part but still a very disappointing show.

Here we go...

Set One: Big Railroad Blues ; The Race Is On ; You Win Again ; Ain't It Crazy (The Rub) ; Pride Of Cucamonga > King Bee > Pride Of Cucamonga (reprise) ; Jack Straw ; Who Was John ; Walk In The Sunshine ; You Ain't Woman Enough ; Scarlet Begonias

Set Two: Dancing In The Street ; Unbroken Chain ; Big Boy Pete ; Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part I > Eyes Of The World > China Doll > drums > Smokestack Lightning > The Other One (reprise second verse) > After Midnight > Let It Grow > Johnny B. Goode

Encore: I'm A Hog For You Baby

Can't beleive so many peeps left the show early! I honestly did not feel the show lost any energy whatsoever and even if I did I would never ever leave a DSO show early thats for damn sure!!

• Forum MVP

Bix- I know. Or at least I confidently think I do. Is the jam that goes there- sounds like hypnotize. Alternating Amaj7 and Gmaj7 chords if I'm not mistaken. Happens early dancin's and some dark stars.

Just to clarify.. My negative review was not ment to offend anyone on the forum or bash the band, I have over 100 shows under my belt in the last 10 years, seen Jeff & Rob back  when they were in the volunteers! Yes I had expectations & it is what it is but of course I will be back. For those on tour I get that this show was probably cool but for guys like me who get 1 of 2 for the whole summer, take off work, leave the wife & kids, it was a bummer. Sorry it just was. I'm with you Rudedogg, thought 1,000 that it was going to be 2 drummer show so I sit here still scratching my head about the setlist .How was that a Grateful Dead experience? When did the dead ever play a mostly b side show(yes I was at 40 shows)?? How can they not go the the Hunter/Garcia well on that night of all nights??  I have given numerous glowing reviews in the past but had to vent. It's all good...

usually at the cork the drums are the same setup both nights as there is no onsite storage for extra equipment and the truck doesn't return until load out. whatever you see night one is also night 2.

coulda picked bix for a grand on that....darn it....

as for the room emptying out, realize some of the locals come out of curiosity and because its a social along with some random vacationers intermingled, not really hardcore dead fans.

with all the other entertainment possibilities in the area some folks are just passin through to the next spot to have a drink. I doubt the song selection was the reason.

musically I thought night 2 was more on point than night one, but then again I was really tired night 1.

I don't let the calendar enhance my expectations, so no let down there.

also the band and crowd sang happy birthday for matt Reynolds after they brought him up on stage.

• Forum MVP

It's true that upon scrutiny there's a dearth of Garcia/Hunter there, but I don't really look for that in particular.  What I love are off the walls lists, and this show has that in spades.

While I could understand one being a little perplexed/disappointed with set 1 (I wouldn't be), set 2 looks like pure gold. What a great flow from Weather Report onward, and all coming off a couple rarities like Unbroken and Big Boy Pete.  Fun looking stuff!

• Forum MVP

What do you consider B side ? I understand Pride of Cucamonga, yes. Skip makes me like that song. I like to hear him sing. The Race is On ? The Rub ?

Should we commerate Brent's passing ? How about Pigpen ? I mean Ron McKernon was the leader of the band .

• Forum MVP

I've seen many shows that weren't like any dead show. I wasn't at that show btw. But I like that kind of show. This was different but it was somgs the dead or Jerry played and when you say you have seen 100 shows, hearing songs you rarely hear would seem to be fun. I got my 1st expressway at BM and that was a Garcia Saunders song. Super cool. I like that stuff. Now cucomonga isn't one of my favs, but if you saw the dead in the 90s how many shows were 100% great dead tunes. There were some horrible setlists in the late days. Luckily DSO stops before that period.

• Advisory Board

To me, that set list was the gift that didn't stop giving.

Kind of like Pigpen and Phil singing happy birthday to Jerry.

The Hog for You Baby is the icing on that cake.

Had I been there that would have been my prize. When I went to sleep that night it would have been the only thing I was dreaming of.

That's why I love the electives.

I get the birthday/death day thing, but there are many ways to celebrate Jerry. DSO celebrates Jerry just by getting up on stage to play. I've never walked away disappointed, but I'm an easy sell when it comes to the mighty Dark Star Orchestra.

I guess I'm biased. But I would guess that Jerry would have accepted this gift happily allowing the light to shine on him through his friends and his guitar.

Dr. B

I get the birthday/death day thing, but there are many ways to celebrate Jerry. DSO celebrates Jerry just by getting up on stage to play. I've never walked away disappointed, but I'm an easy sell when it comes to the mighty Dark Star Orchestra.

I guess I'm biased. But I would guess that Jerry would have accepted this gift happily allowing the light to shine on him through his friends and his guitar.

Dr. B

Could not agree more, Dr. B. At first I thought they might have given a nod to Jerry by closing with something like a Terrapin Suite, Like a Road, or Brokedown Palace, but Hog for You Baby was a fun and unique way to top off a show that was full of surprises. Yes, I believe Jerry would have been smiling and approving of this one. As I mentioned before, I sure hope Rob Eaton chooses this show for an upcoming Nugs release.

Archived