Update from the Road

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

I'm pretty much back on tour full time.  It feels good in many ways.  Not so good in others.  I'm definitely not out of the woods when dealing with my emotions and the pains of heart break, loss, and failure.  On the other hand, I'm standing far stronger than I did last run that included Jubilee and the close of tour.  I'm feeling much better and find it much easier to share in the love and light that is this music.  Strength when I have none.  I'm definitely doing better a standing up tall pretending I'm strong...

I caught quite a bit so far on this tour.  I did Jays x 2, Utica, Baltimore, Strausstown, Brooklyn, Charlotte, Pocahontas, and BM x 2.  Its been quite a ride and lots of fun.  I've seen many of my old friends, further connected with some new ones, and even managed to meet a person or two during the journey.  I think I've touched some peoples lives if even for a brief moment.  I won't forget that taper couple in Charlotte even if I never see them again.  I know others have touched my life.  The music has stood out all over, but the positive energy and spirit has stood out as well.  I'm going to touch more deeply on Black Mountain night 1 but want to offer a few tidbits about some other shows as well.

Jays night 1 never really got going outside with DSO at the helm.  We got a few songs, but mostly rain lightning and a little bit of thunder.  I really wasn't in the headspace for all this, but the local VT dead scene sprang into action and really rescued the night.  Some friends of mine that I haven't really had the chance to connect with in many years brought the sound system that they use for VT dead dances inside the lodge and we boogied to a May 77.  Rob Eaton even joined us on the floor.  

Jays night 2 was fantastic.  The dance energy at Jays was awesome.  The VT kids and elders alike really know how to move and groove to this great music.  I really want to get that group to travel down to Black Mountain and join us at what I think was the premier DSO dance party this year.  I thought it was better than the Jubilee but that may be more a reflection of my own personal energy.  

Utica was rough.  I didn't sleep the night before and could barely stand up at the start of the show.  I did however push through find my legs and thoroughly enjoy the experience.  The crowd didn't offer much for me like it did in VT, but everyone looked like they were having fun who am I to tell them how it supposed to be done.  The WRS was sublime.  Truly worth the trip and another listen.  

Baltimore I was a little uneasy before the show.  Maybe a case of too much too fast, but the 2nd set was the best set of music I had heard yet on this journey.  I mean it really took to life and moved my buddy to a point devoid of thought.  It was the start of a the release I was looking for.

Strausstown was a total rain fest at least for the 1st set.  The rain seemed to scare away the casual fan and turned it into a private party for me and my friends.  I would say I honestly new over 30 percent of the crowd that night.  Saw my friend Emily's mom, that was a real pleasure.  What a sweet little old lady.  She stuck it out in the rain.  I was impressed.  The mud made dancing hard and the crowd wasn't the greatest at times.  People I knew were drinking too much and doing more partying than listening, but hey what can you do.  Like I said already, it not for me to tell you how to get off.  I definitely was able to find plenty of space to move around and get some of that experience I desired.

I'd say Brooklyn is really where I started to find my dancing legs.  We had some great dance buddies in attendance and their energy definitely pushed my energy upward and outward.  We definitely grooved hard.  I probably enjoyed this show the mot of all I had caught so far.  DSO was really gelling on that Europe 72 vibe by now.  The 2 souls was heart wrenching.  

Charlotte was great fun.  Met the taper couple.  Tried to help some younger "heads" learn proper behavior and respect around tapers.  I think I had varying success.  I definitely had a small fan club here.   I was dancing well but that detracted from my experience and I'm sure theres.  They spent a lot of time watching me and asking for high fives.  This butters up the ego at first, but gets annoying fast.  All in all, it was a great night.  Glad to see Rob K back in the fold after taking sometime to welcome in his new baby boy.

Pocahontas lacked a lot of the family energy it had contained in years past.  Many of my friend hung out in BM or skipped it altogether.  I was feeling great and excited for the drive.  I picked up my old running partner DCFrank in Richmond and we hand a rocking good show.  May 77 rocker.  Lots of young beautiful people around and some good dance energy too.  I sure don't like the police around there, but still love that venue and feel DSO delivered the high energy show I needed to sustain me through the 6 hour drive back to BM.

Night 2 of BM was fun, but after night 1, I don't really have much to say on it.  Major contrast in eras.  I definitely prefer the 69 mindbender, but great playful fun dance energy here tonite. This place is a great dance party and although I played negative nancy on some others pushing for more nights.  I definitely wouldn't complain if we made this a 3 night party.  Loved catching the more low key music in the bar before the show this night.  

You guys can wait on the night 1 review right... I'm getting tired.  

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

My review of BM will focus primarily on night 1's show, but I would remiss not to mention the impact of the mountain chalet on the experience.  Many of my best tour buddies all staying in 2 places sure made for a recipe of fun before and after the show not found in many places.  We had Baracco over for brunch on Saturday and got both houses together both nights after the show.  I would contend we all could've fit in the one house or maybe next year we need a bigger place.  I would've loved for us all to stay together, but we made the best of the situation and definitely got to share in one another's love and light.  It was up lifting heart grabbing type stuff.  You know? The stuff guys don't talk about for fear of seeming corny or heaven forbid sensitive.  It touched my heart.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I am so grateful we all got to share this weekend together.  I truly hope we get to all do it together again next year.  

We pick Baracco up for dinner on Friday night.  Turns out we're early and they haven't sound checked yet.  So we grab a beer and catch the sound check.  The school girl was fantastic although rain ended any chance of an extended sound check.  Rob B does his best to deny we are in store for an early show despite the organ and the sound check, but I'm pretty confident by now.  Dinner is great.  I love that restaurant.  Something for everyone.  The staff recognizes us and takes extra care of us.  Some of them are going to the show one or both nights.  Its a great experience.  I really love the town of BM.  I could see an East Coaster retiring happily in those hills.  

At BM, we dance to our left and have often sacrificed sound considerably for the solace of epic dance space and the flow of communal energy.  It was great to see the Marshall contingent.  This year we didn't have to sacrifice as much sound as DSO had turned some speakers are way.  I am very appreciative and it made the experience that much better this year at BM.  

Set 1

Morning Dew
Me And My Uncle
Doin' That Rag
He Was A Friend Of Mine
Hard To Handle
Cosmic Charlie
Cryptical Envelopment
Drums
The Other One
Cryptical Envelopment

Dew openers are not always my favorite.  When I really get into a show, I try to think deeply on a songs meaning or at least think deeply on a song meaning until I reach beyond the point of thought.  Dew is too heavy out the gate for me a lot of the time.  I struggle to dance and do more of a stumble.  It makes me very solemn and sad.  It matters.  However, this set was full of death as well as much of the themes of the night.  I find more learning and growth comes from the dark than from the light and I found this particular night of music to be very powerful possibly life transformative. Uncle lifts the spirit a little bit and get the legs moving.  Show really takes off for me at doin that rag.  I'm dancy playful and more prepared to handle the solemness that is too follow.  He was a friend of mine was absolutely sublime.  I reflected on friend lost and thought about those who may pass soon.  My grandfather health is failing fairly quickly although death may not be imminent.  A friend of mine just lost his brother most likely to drugs.  I have a few friends I really think about hard during this song.  It can make me cry, but no tears tonight.  Just smiles and memories of the good times.  Hard to handle breaks any sadness and the dancer's break into a frenzy.  Lots of us truly trying to embody the spirit of the song.  I'm a man up on the scene I can give you what you want.... Cryptical other one cryptical was massive.  I wouldn't say it hit the Jubilee night 2 barometer but it was utterly powerful.  Psychedelic jams throughout all the segments of the song and thunderous bass during the other one.  Skip crushed it.  Id say we crushed it too.  This place is so beautiful.  The crowd energy and respect for this music is incredible.  I absolutely love this venue.  Those that make it a destination and those that are local truly seem to grasp the importance of this music.  

set 2 

China Cat Sunflower
Sitting On Top Of The World
Dark Star
Stephen
William tell 
Eleven 
Lovelight 

The china cat was so playful and I love that it transitioned into SOTOTW. Similar theme to rider I guess but a lot more high energy and playfulness during this era. The Dark Star was the highlight of the show for me.  My one long time buddy said to me "This is the goods."  I love you Hunter.  So good to see you.  The Dark Star gets spacey but remains danceable throughout.  It never completely dissolves of rhythm.  I loved it.  The Stephen is so much fun and the dancer's return to high gear.  Its tough to even put into words the blur that occurs from William Tell through Lovelight.  The crowd becomes like an atom with the electrons flying around some unattainable nucleus.   We understand each other even for just a moment without a word without any communication.  Eyes lock.  Love flows from one human to another.  We are transported to a higher being.  We are moved into another ethos.  We go their together.  This was the season of what now? Everyone turned on their lovelight and let it shine for everyone around.  It was so utterly beautiful.

The filler was great too.  They return to the theme of death during a massive death don't.  Jeff crushes this tune.  I found the Mishawaka one more powerful but I think I was more engaged when it was played.  I loved the easy wind and was ready for it to be over by golden road.  Wow What a show.  Top 10 DSO shows ever maybe?  At least for me.  So glad I got to share in the magic.  The after party at Bix's wasn't too shabby either.  I love you guys.  Thank you so much for helping lighten up my spirit and bring me to my happy place.  

Love is real.

Since you enjoyed BK You would have really enjoyed New haven...and not just bc the setlist were very similar. The crowd energy, the band energy, the space to move and the bands amazing performance. Hey You Can't make em all and you made plenty.

Thanks for sharing so much of your journey this tour. Awesome reading your experience from BM1..that's one I'm saddened I didn't make. (Although I agree with you on the dew opener)Maybe we'll cross at mercer park

I'll keep this simple and sweet... Thank you all for a real good time! This past week in Charlotte, BM, and trek to Poca was absolutely magical, despite what could have been a damper, I blossomed thanks to sweet sound and inviting crew. I'm in awe of the energy produced by this group of kindred spirits. Feeling blessed I met MC and a few other sweet souls in hampton earlier this summer because it led me into this sacred community... I am fairly new to the grateful dead.. An ex introduced me a cpl years ago and I didn't get it, but the music is coming to life as I spend more time with you all and dancing my heart out at shows.. and realizing as I go to more shows that it's so much deeper than the party.... I've danced like I've never danced at recent shows because I felt comfortable enough to let go... That's my take away so far, being able to let go for once in my life and while letting go, feeling such love and light from those around me. As I connect to the music more and more, a part of me transforms and brings me to a new sense of clarity, playing out in all aspects of my life. You're special people... I've never spent time with such genuine, loving, beautiful souls... I'm looking forward to continuing on this journey and seeing new friends down the road...

• Forum MVP

Sometimes the songs we hear are just songs of our own!!!

Missed many at BM, obviously missed some very good music,. It situations chang, and sometimes we do what is best of ourselves, as living a life based on someone else's happiness will never again be part of who I am!!! Sometimes we give, other times we must walk alone!!

Thank you for friends who give others a chance. We all get introduced into this world at one time or another, and though the music is the reason we stay together, it is usually the kind souls, and the u derstanding of others that bring us in!!

This community is relatively closed, but only to those not willing to undress and be naked with joy when the music begins. Everything else, and he quality people who get it is a bonus and makes the experience an addiction of the positive kind.

It's a pleasure to read your words Amanda. It was a intention, planned, and regardless how it works out, the results was the aim and it hit better the arrow, straight and narrow!!

Really missed many of you....to much time in between, but chaos still exist, and trying to find existence after trying to find death will undoubtedly create confusion.

A scared and confused mind does some irrational things.....just so y'all understsnd....i missed many of you!!?

• Forum MVP

I've danced like I've never danced at recent shows because I felt comfortable enough to let go... That's my take away so far, being able to let go for once in my life and while letting go, feeling such love and light from those around me. As I connect to the music more and more, a part of me transforms and brings me to a new sense of clarity, playing out in all aspects of my life.

I've been hooked on this music since I was a youngster in the early 80's and I couldn't have said it better myself as to why it's so transformative...

Welcome to the scene!!

• Advisory Board

We had the absolute best time of all. Best time ever. That's saying a lot. I'm referring to several shows on this tour, but Coney Island and both black mountains really shine for us. The dance scene was manic and unforgettable. A good friend of mine once referred to "ego death". It happened and it changes the whole game...

So nice to see so many friends. It was an absolute joy in every way. We can't wait to do it all again

Dr. B and Sweet A

I definitely had a small fan club here.   I was dancing well but that detracted from my experience and I'm sure there's.  They spent a lot of time watching me and asking for high fives.  This butters up the ego at first, but gets annoying fast.

MC, you've got fan clubs on tour?  Well look at you!   B)   I hope you don't take the following as a request to join one of them, but...

I'd like to compliment you on your thoughtfulness and perception of all aspects of the experience when reviewing shows!  It's obvious that throughout the show, you are not only listening to what's being played on the stage and observing the energy of the band, but also how that's effecting the energy, demeanor, and dancing of the crowd.  It's something that I've definitely "felt" but never really thought to try to observe or describe.

I think you've inspired me (if I can remember) to take note of each song's meaning and how the song selection is affecting the crowd.  What does each selection and how it's being performed do to the collective color of all of our combined aura's?  This will require some homework on my part but, it sounds worth it.

Your reviews made me think also of how amazingly lucky we really are.  You talk about dancers "locking eyes" and knowing we are in the same place "without any communication or words spoke."  There are times (especially during an exceptional show) where I simply can't suppress the love and joy I'm feeling from radiating out from my soul to all around me.  That's leads me to initiating group hugs and hugging strangers.  Hopefully I don't annoy too many people.  There's probably a moment in nearly every show where a stranger and I share a hug based just on the joy of the musical experience we just had.  This sort of behavior is really me in very rare form.  It's simply not how I normally act.

Stories like this, if told at all, would be most people's recollection of the most memorable concert experience of their entire life.  We get this experience nearly EVERY SHOW!!!!!

Till next time... :cheers:

• Forum MVP

We had the absolute best time of all. Best time ever. That's saying a lot. I'm referring to several shows on this tour, but Coney Island and both black mountains really shine for us. The dance scene was manic and unforgettable. A good friend of mine once referred to "ego death". It happened and it changes the whole game...

So nice to see so many friends. It was an absolute joy in every way. We can't wait to do it all again

Dr. B and Sweet A

Took you long enough to finally do BM.  Besides Jubilee, I'd guess that BM has the highest concentration of the faithful of any shows.

Whoa rude. Be careful. West Coast is a whole other monster.

How so?  Bigger crowds?  More devoted crowds?  More patchouli in the air?  Please clarify if you can.  Colorado is the furthest west I've been for a show.

• Forum MVP

I'm talking about the DSO core, not deadheads overall. Jubilee has the highest concentration from people all over. BM had people from 15-20 states and lots of board people.

did Jay's Peak Utica Coney Island strausstown Black Mountain.highlights for me was strausstown definitely a must for two nights that place is so cool with beautiful green grass flat surface to dance plenty of cushion for the knees. that show in the rain was quite esoteric- for the specially initiated deadhead.Black Mountain first night was epic if I may use a word that may be used too often epic still describes it. I too received comments on my moves at Utica and BM but will refrain from being a legend in my own mind. what happened at the shows what did they play I really can't remember the more of a good time I had, so being in the moment the less I remember. I enjoy Mason child reviews of the shows, thank you! but personally choose not to dissect them I just go with it.the Darkstar night two- best Darkstar I ever heard. it's so easy to slip into transition into Rider seamless so smooth and beautiful. I couldn't help thinking about the two chalets in Black Mountain that we all stayed at and seeing the similarities with the story of Europe 72 the bolo bus and the bozo bus. Vastly different atmospheres. All that matters is you were on the bus...

MC...THANK YOU for taking the time to share this. It was a tough year for our little family and were unable to travel at all. Our last show was Lexington, KY in Feb. Your thoughts and experiences brought a much needed smile and connection for me!

• Forum MVP

Sun so hot clouds so low...gonna be a hot one tonight...get hydrated people!

No reports from the peach?

I realized that if all out dancing it's almost impossible to be hydrated enough in high heat unless you train like an Olympian and even those runners go down with dehydration. There's this thing called "pacing yourself?" that people have talked about. Not sure what it means really.

• Forum MVP

I spent about 50 bucks at charlotte on water and gatorade for the 2 of us.  I needed the cooling factor of ice cold beverages vs just water with an indoor show.  The gf drinks so much water at home she assumed she was hydrated enough.  It took a water and 2 gatorades to get her back on her feet.  It was only heat index in the 90's.  I couldnt imagine dancing like that when its heat index in the 110's like its been at home.

Archived