Update from the Road

Tom Banjo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

It was up lifting heart grabbing type stuff.  You know? The stuff guys don't talk about for fear of seeming corny or heaven forbid sensitive.  It touched my heart.  It brought tears to my eyes.  I am so grateful we all got to share this weekend together.  I truly hope we get to all do it together again next year.  

Psychedelic jams throughout all the segments of the song and thunderous bass during the other one.  Skip crushed it.  Id say we crushed it too.  This place is so beautiful.  The crowd energy and respect for this music is incredible.  I absolutely love this venue.  Those that make it a destination and those that are local truly seem to grasp the importance of this music.  

The crowd becomes like an atom with the electrons flying around some unattainable nucleus.   We understand each other even for just a moment without a word without any communication.  Eyes lock.  Love flows from one human to another.  We are transported to a higher being.  We are moved into another ethos.  We go their together. 

The after party at Bix's wasn't too shabby either.  I love you guys.  Thank you so much for helping lighten up my spirit and bring me to my happy place.  

Love is real.

Skip really did crush the whole the show, his playing was scary good at times 

we rlly do transport thru space and time together, journeying to new places, its the best feeling in the world

thanks for putting it so eloquently, love you !

• Forum MVP

I gotta say that it's times like black mountain, with how we did it this year in houses, with the essence of 60's communal living, if even for only 4 days, felt just like home and helps one living in this rat race world envision what joy mustuv been coursing through the veins of those who lived it for real in the day. I for one advocate more coming together, more communal get togethers, more hugs, more love shared. I mean, hey we're here, why not share and spread love. The 60's love in movement, hippie movement, acid tests, are part of Americana history forever because it was deemed an important moment in time. Seems like we're in a pretty good spot to revive this era. If nobody else joins in, we'll still have fun. Oh well, my thoughts from the road. Love you guys, enjoyed the read MC. Peace.

Smaller towns on the west coast tend to have a greater density of dancers. The group is large enough in the big towns they make sure they can dance. Dancing much bigger out there 

Colorado not as much.

"Dancing much bigger out there"..... do you mean more of the crowd is into dancing or do the dancers take their dancing more seriously?  Or both?

It's been 4 years since I was in Colorado, but I do recall the dance floor being a bit thin.  I also recall the crowds being much smaller than I would have guessed.  I always assumed that it was a time period where a lot of Heads hadn't gotten back on the bus yet since the departure of JK.

• Forum MVP

There is a heartbeat here that beats in synergy, connection and oneness that fills the heart full of the stuff which the Dead and the 60s elucidated into existence. Dancing at the show with all of you was magical and I felt the love alive in your hearts and it flings mine wider open every time. It was a beautiful place to be and I know it exists infinitely and can't wait to hammer it down into the earth again. We need to ground this love in this world. It is a healing dance we do. Much love and peace always.

• Forum MVP

Following Charlotte and the two Black Mountain shows I've been wanting to say something about the experience but words just do not do justice to the feelings. This morning, Jill dropped this old song on me and it seems to express what I wanted to say....    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POaaw_x7gvQ&list=RDPOaaw_x7gvQ#t=0

• Forum MVP

Box of rain>
Hell in a bucket 
Touch of grey
Little red rooster
Far from me
Cumberland
Stuck inside a mobile >
When push come to shove
Cassidy

Set 2
Louie Louie>
Truckin>
Crazy fingers>
Samson>
EOTW>
D/S>
TOO>
Wharf rat>
Throwing stones>
Love light 

E: knockin on heavens door
F: you never can tell/ c'est la vie

This show was incredibly emotional for me.  The heat was oppressive at the start despite the mild cooling we got from the rains.  Sam Cutler announced the band (as he has several times in the past) and stated that these guys most closely capture the spirit and feel he got from the GD during his time as their tour manager.  He also said no rain coming and just as he spoke I felt the last few drops of the day.  The drops made it appear like he was going to be full of shit, but I guess that guy is a prophet.  I owe him a special thanks for his help in ME and I will always make sure to say hi when I see him.  Thank you Sam.

My dad is buried about 15 to 20 minutes from Mercer County Park.  He worked at Mercer County Community College part time while working at American Home Products (they use to make advil) and then full time following his forced retirement from that company.  The college is less than 3 minutes away.  I took classes there in the middle school to get ahead of the general academic track in middle school primarily in math.  Like I said in a previous post, I try to focus hard on the meaning of the songs being played.  I try to allow the song to fill me with the emotion contained within it.  Thus when they opened with box, I was hit hard.  I spent much of the time staring into the sky.  I fought back the tears and tried to smile and remember the good times and how much I love him, but by the end as they sing such a long long time to be gone, I can't help but let a few tears fall.  Even over 4 years later, there is just so much I still have unresolved within myself about the loss of my father.  There is still so much I have left to do in order to see him through.  I certainly could use some direction around some corner.  Bucket may have been the energy highlight of the 1st set.  I break through the somber state of Box and unleash a fury of spins and movement.  Life really has been going to Hell in a Bucket and with the return to road being the way of life I'm doing the best I can to enjoy this ride.  DSO tour is beyond fun.  There truly is nothing I would rather do with my time.   Touch can help with the Box blues but also for me presents a struggle to not disconnect, but I'm here to dance and I missed Dewey and the Peach semi-rain out so I was feeling fresh and in need of dance, so I danced it out.  Rooster was the low point of the set.  Real slow mellow dance energy.  No Brent rap.  Pretty boring overall.  Far from me contributes to the snoozefest, but pulls my emotional heart strings.  We really did find ourselves in that position.  I know we didn't mean to be.  I know we both wished it was different, but sometimes things are just the way they are.  There is no reconcoliation possible; the only option left is to move on.  Cumberland rocks and certainly gives a much needed jolt of energy to this set, but DSO doesn't really stretch it out and plays a much more straight forward version of Cumberland than one might expect.  I actually loved the Memphis Blue.  I know dylan isn't a favorite for everyone but the song has a high enough energy for good dance and I like the lyrics.  When push comes to shoves is just too corny for me, I really don't care for the song no matter how true it may be for me.  I do think than I am afraid, but wow there may be no better song for a bathroom break.  I kept dancing.  Cassidy was like a breathe of life into what was a dying set of music.  I really emotionally connected to this set, but I find it to certainly qualify as a snoozefest.  It was tremendous fun don't get me wrong, but this definitely not my favorite era of the Dead.

The 2nd set contained less emotion for me tonite, but I found the energy and the quality of the music to take a step up.  Mercer is a great place for a show.  A little too heavy of a cop presence and the early town curfew needs to be worked on.  6 oclock start is too early.  If we could push it until 7, I think everyone would be happier and the heat less a of problem.  I could do without the Louie Louie.  I don't care for the song and I found DSO to be a touch choppy and unrehearsed.  I do think it was a first for them?  It was definitely my first and I guess it was a positive for the novelty of it all. Truckin looks like the snoozefest will continue, but like I already said, I really wanted to dance so I just kept on grooving.  So did quite a few people here tonite.  It was a great crowd.  All generations present.  Parents with their kids.  Grandparents with their kids and their grand kids.  Kids on dates with other kids and some of that usual DSO touring/forum family.  People listened to the music and dance and smiled and shared joy.  It was a great scene.  Crazy fingers is simply beautiful and started the shift of the show to a much more powerful dance experience although its not the most dancy of songs.  Samson is powerful and the crowd responds with some powerful energy of the own, if only the strength came natural.  Eyes might have been the highlight of the show if it wasn't for the otherwordly power of the other one that followed drums and space.  The other one was one of the better version I've heard in a while and was probably the song I expended most enery during.  My creativity may have suffered, but I spun harder and faster than maybe I had all tour.  The sweat catching my glasses created an even greater distorted perception and view.  Wharf Rat welcomed in the type of energy that creates consciousness connection and increases the connection one feels to his brothers and sisters.  I find a deeper understanding of how my story connects to the story of others and how we all struggle to overcome our own trials and tribulations to reach towards a better truer healthier being.  We our all on our own path and certainly find ourselves at different point of this path as we go along this journey together, but wharf rat remind us that our paths connect intertwine and relate.  I've got no dime, but I've got some time.... Throwing Stones and Lovelight are pure danceable fun.  The crowd boogied hard.  The encore takes me back to that dark place of my fathers death.  The knockin on heaven's door was majestically beautiful.  I danced with some close friends all the way up in the front.  We got to share in the deep emotions of death together.  It really uplifted me.  I'm so glad I got to share that moment with my friends.

I ended the show with water and lemonade.  I sat while I watched one of the newly weds danced while the other played with his phone.  So happy so many of my friends made it out to this show and we got the share this experience.  Thank you DSO and thank you DSO crew.  I left my prescription sunglasses (expensive, designer) and my favorite hoodie at merch after the show in BM.  They took special care of my stuff to make sure no damage occurred and they were able to return to me at Mercer. and Maine.  Thank you so much.  I know that is not part of your job description and truly appreciate you guys going the extra mile.  See you guys one night and one night only at Phish here in Colorado.  I'm gonna enjoy this break as I am tired and in need of some self reflection time.  Some quiet time and some time to write, but I am already anticipating the joy I will experience in Omaha when I pick up the next tour and get to celebrate my birthday.  I look forward to seeing some of you on the next DSO tour.  Love and light to all.

Love is real.

The 7-7-89 red rooster version is the one that made me really start to enjoy the song. Especially because of Brent's part and the extended jam. When the GD played this show in 88' it didn't have the Brent rap either so The show recreated at mercer didn't have it. My question to anyone is when DSO recreate that song I'm assuming they throw his part in if it was part of the original show? And how many times did Brent actually get to do it? IMO it makes the song so much better.

MC excellent review and heartfelt. We'll try again In the future I'm sure

The 7-7-89 red rooster version is the one that made me really start to enjoy the song. Especially because of Brent's part and the extended jam. When the GD played this show in 88' it didn't have the Brent rap either so The show recreated at mercer didn't have it. My question to anyone is when DSO recreate that song I'm assuming they throw his part in if it was part of the original show? And how many times did Brent actually get to do it? IMO it makes the song so much better.

MC excellent review and heartfelt. We'll try again In the future I'm sure

I basically have a similar experience with Little Red Rooster... was never a big fan of the song until I heard the Hampton Coliseum on 10-9-89 and Brent's part is definitely  part of the reason why.

don't hold out much hope to ever be turned on to Walking Blues though.  [place yawning emoji here]

• Forum MVP

Bobby learned how to play slide guitar on stage during Little Red Rooster in the early 80s.  Ouch.  What more can you say?

"The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions" album has a cut of Howlin' Wolf teaching Eric Clapton how to play blues on "Little Red Rooster".  On the first cut he is talking and playing cords to show Eric how to play. The next cut has the whole band playing...Clapton, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts, Stevie Windwood and da Wolf on vocals. 1971

• Forum MVP

A powerful image of new life that springs from death and change. The Olia Lehua is the first plant to grow out of the lava fields and is a sacred symbol of the cycles of life as celebrated in the hula KA Wai Lehua A'ala Ka Honua. I just think this is an incredible occurrence. Wanted to share how something so beautiful can come from so much destruction while creating new ground at the same time fertile for a new landscape. Just needs rain, the seed and sunshine.

image.jpg

Why doesn't darkstar play any 90s setlists? Is that a part of the dead we shouldn't listen to? Ooo Jerry is shot so Frickin what? All 33 shows I saw and not one 90s set.narcstar is like a jukebox in a redneck bar that only plays popular songs.make sure this year at penns peak you get 50 people arrested.some of us aren't custies who paid for gd50 on pay per view

My summer tour review is coming soon. I am still reflecting on a lot of it. I do want to thank all the kind people (you all know who you are) that helped me out after my knee decided it didn't want to finish the tour dancing. A very special thank you to Sam Cutler and MC for getting my backpack to the merc booth in Maine so I didn't have to throw away the pack and some of the contents. I had screwed up on which venue allowed packs and which didn't. The car was much too far away to take it back (DSO was playing Promised Land - we were already late by then). What a great show to finish the tour though  :)

Much love goes out to all my DSO friends and family.

I was able to do most of the shows on this tour.at times as usual my spirit had been lifted to Heights it has never been to before.again on this tour, in this community, I have been brought to Tears by the TRUE love compassion generosity joy charity forgiveness respect that is so abundant amongst my friends. I have been spending money on getting my car roadworthy and friends have helped me out to get to shows thank you. it was great getting to know an older friend on a deeper level on the road trip to and back from North Carolina thank you bix!!! DSO continues to bring the dead to places never heard before!

I have also seen a darker side and I say this out of compassion not to put anyone down. a darker side that involves inexperience arrogance and self-centeredness. Peace love respect compassion generosity forgiveness usefulness are all principles that are meant to be lived and transformed into all we do in life. They are not idle tools to be brought out and paraded around as a way to appease the inefficiencies of the spirit, bolster self image, or for egotistical posing. I recognize this at times because of my own personal experiences and own this also in my life, less now than years ago.

I am disappointed that towards the end of tour because of my desire to catch the last couple shows I made choices unbeknownst to me that put my freedom in danger and choices that put my life in danger. This caused me to have anger. it took a day or two to realize the anger was really at myself for the choices I made. People are who they are and live as they live. I have been through many battles in life, battles with others, battles with the law and battles with myself.I have had much more than my share of near death experiences and today my freedom and my life are a high priority for me. All in all this tour has been enlightening and again beneficial to my spirit. Thank you DSO, crew, and friends.

Sorry for the long philosophical post, I am in a time of reflection on life- in about an hour I will be 57 years old.

I will continue to give all I have to give!

I Love you all :)

Happy Birthday Brian, hmm, googling your birthday got this "Being a Leo born on August 22nd, you are well known for your ambitious, honest and social nature." It sure doesn't sound like the shy, reclusive Brian I know. Hope it is a great day for you.

Archived