Since it dominates ESPN

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

I believe Kaep should do what he feels.  I firmly believe those trying to tell him what to do and how to do it are more of a danger to the US and what it stands for than any man that chooses not to stand during the pledge of allegiance.  I firmly believe that protest, civil disobediences, and free speech are the foundation of a democracy.  I fail to see how the flag symbolically represents wounded warriors.  I also do not believe I am free and have rights because of the USA or these wounded warriors.  I believe in inalienable rights.  My rights come from nature.  My rights come from God.  The US has nothing to do with it.  The US government derives its power because we have agreed through social contract to give it to them.  They have no power without our vote without our acceptance and often without are blind eye.  I wonder how these same people would have felt about MLK Jr's protest.  He didn't always choose the most respectful of avenues.  I wonder if they think Rosa Parks should've had more respect and sat on back of bus until we told her she didn't have to.  

I was indifferent to Kaep's protest.  I am enraged and struggle with the current police state.  I see the racial aspects of selective enforcement made easier by segregated neighborhoods.  I also understand that the problem is as much economic as it is racial.  Poor whites at a supreme disadvantage as well.  I firmly believe that the way we treat each other in those neighborhoods (citizen on citizen crime) may be a much lager issue.  If we eliminate victim crimes, we greatly reduce the need and justification for police.  We keep killing each other.  They will keep getting larger budgets and more of their grey area tactics will be accepted and may even become the norm.  However, the issue and BLM and other groups fail to really articulate this in their protests is simple.  We should all be subject to the same laws.  If someone dies, there should be a trial.  A trial made up of the citizens your sworn to serve and protect, your peers, your neighbors.  You should be subject to the same laws and the same penalties.  The police in this country have no laws.  They are a class unto themselves.  It is us and them.  It doesn't have to be that way.

I'm furious with the response.  Kaep has failed in his protest in many ways.  We just keep talking about his method of action.  Whether he should or shouldn't stand, but we refuse or at least the media refuses to talk about the real issue at hand.

• Forum MVP

By the way, many NFL teams receive money to hold those flag ceremonies.  Its not actually all about patriotism.  I believe the government wants those displays so that along with our distraction (and I am distracted love NFL football) we get inundated with patriotism at the same time.  Maybe I'm just a cynic.

• Forum MVP

His jersey sales are up so people can burn them. But he's an idiot anyway. Idc aboit him not standing. He's just a bum, period. You are obviously a bum when you had the year he had a few years ago and his teammates despised him. If you have that brilliant year he had, you can do almost anything and your teammates will like you.

Archived