Musings on the Grateful Dead in the 90s

John A

• Forum MVP

Due to an extensive Dead/Garcia Band hard drive project I've been working on for a couple years now, I was forced to sound check copious amounts of '94 and '95 material over the past few nights.  "Forced" is of course a relative term, as obviously this is a labor of love.  I've also been playing some '92 and '93 lately for the same purpose.  Here are some observations....

1. As I think has been discussed here recently, '91 is still the real deal.  As late as the Halloween Oakland run in '91, The Boys were totally on their game. One can't help but feel that Bill Graham's sudden passing right at that time took some wind out of the sails, because...

2. New Year's Eve '91 couldn't even get us a double encore.  Just a rote show and outta there, and with Uncle Bobo gone that would be that for 12/31s. Starting with the February '92 run, and then especially on the Spring Tour '92, things took a decided spiral downward.  In retrospect, Garcia was to fall ill again after the Summer Tour forcing the fall shows to be cancelled, so the declining level of play shouldn't be shocking. I had a quick conversation with Bruce Hornsby not long after '92, and he was surprisingly frank, saying that not only had his twins just been born but that, after the Spring Tour '92, he had "gotten tired of getting up on stage and sucking night after night."  He opined that folks could only be there for their little slice of the scene, because it would have been impossible for someone actually listening to the music for its sake alone to continue coming to shows.

3. Things started looking up after Jerry got healthy, with some reasonably solid stuff in December '92 and some inspired playing, at least in spurts, during the winter '93 Oakland shows. It turns out that Jerry, along with new found health, had rekindled a love affair dating to the 60s with Barbara Meier, and by all accounts he was in better spirits than he'd been in for a long time.  Alas, the rigors of Dead Tour took its toll Spring '93, as by the tour's end he was using heroin again and thus shutting her out. But nonetheless, on balance I'd call '93 a better year than '92.  The bigger issue is that by the end of '93 The Dead had introduced a barrage of songs that, to be charitable, have not stood the test of time.  To be more blunt, I recall being at shows in disbelief at the sounds that were emanating from the PA system (read: Samba In The Rain, Wave To The Wind, etc).  As an aside, read the lyrics to Wave To The Wind.  It's as if Hunter had an issue with Phil and was mocking him by writing that song.  You can tell it's Hunter's language, but it's horribly overwrought and seems like it was appropriated by a misguided and overreaching high school kid trying to win a local poetry prize. 

4. This bring us to '94 and '95.  While I think it makes sense to lump these years together, there is nonetheless a progressive decline, almost on a tour by tour basis.  Now the problems are manifested by increasing amounts of "bad" songs in addition to an increasing sense that Garcia, while technically on stage with a guitar on his shoulder, is doing virtually nothing. The only possible excuse to having this material, beyond being a completest collector, is that there were brief moments (a riff, a verse, or maybe a whole song) where Garcia was able to muster some life.  One telling passage from '95 I heard the other night was a transition from Eternity to Standing On The Moon.  Eternity was clearly over, and there was a 2 minute segment where it's as if the rest of the band was just waiting for Jerry to play a chord announcing whatever ballad he was going to commit to.  You could almost envision Weir walking over to him and saying, "Hey, Garcia, it's your turn you know." Not to mention the 25 minute versions of Eyes where less happened than in a 7 minute version from '85.  What a sad end to an amazing ride.

Then again, I guess it beats enduring Phil singing Terrapin. :unsure:

• Forum MVP

Peter Rowan did some amazing shows in Oakland in December 1992 with John Kahn on bass, Thanks for the retrospective John. Jerry did his time here with as much heart ache and compassion as anyone could expect a musician to contribute. Amazing how many morning dews he conjured up through the years! As you alluded too, by the end it was just a matter of going to a dead show and getting into the scene, the band wasn't as much of an end of the day treat, however, there was still some mystery there. Just as there is a Martin Luther King Day, I think there should be a Jerry Garcia Day because the amount of souls he touched and then the love those people shared through the world is worthy of a national holiday

• Forum MVP

Thanks John A - reads like the truth to these eyes and the ears of yesterday!

1994 - 95 had some big vocal moments for Jerry.  He realized he was a 'shot fighter' and tried to compensate with more vocal will.  He didn't always pull it off but when he did, it helped ease the pain of his declining abilities.  In the grand scheme though, it was minimal consolation.

Good Stuff JA!

The early 90's ended my Dead Days, actually things started downhill after a "Touch Of Grey". A lot of people came because it was the cool thing to do.  The scene outside shows was deteriorating.  No more Kaiser shows,  No more Greek Theatre.  There was definite decline in respect from the "Horde"  People fucking in local residents yards as well as shitting in yards Camping out in parks weeks before a show.

I was a big Brent fan, after his death shows weren't the same.  I liked Vince and especially shows with both Vinnie and Bruce Hornsby.  I just wasn't as enthused as I had been.  So much for bad memories.  My last show was sometime in '92 don't remember the exact date, which is strange since I remember the date of most shows I went to.

Thanks for that John A.  I moved to Kansas i '95 and the goings on of the Dead were  a world away.

• Forum MVP

The early 90's ended my Dead Days, actually things started downhill after a "Touch Of Grey". A lot of people came because it was the cool thing to do.  The scene outside shows was deteriorating.  No more Kaiser shows,  No more Greek Theatre.  There was definite decline in respect from the "Horde"  People fucking in local residents yards as well as shitting in yards Camping out in parks weeks before a show.

I was a big Brent fan, after his death shows weren't the same.  I liked Vince and especially shows with both Vinnie and Bruce Hornsby.  I just wasn't as enthused as I had been.  So much for bad memories.  My last show was sometime in '92 don't remember the exact date, which is strange since I remember the date of most shows I went to.

Thanks for that John A.  I moved to Kansas i '95 and the goings on of the Dead were  a world away.

Ron, similar to my experience. My GD shows were caught between '83-'93. After Brent died, I was one foot out the door. '93 was so bad I packed it in and called it a memory.

John A., you clearly have scholarly insights for things GD......Nic Merriweather would be proud ;)

Until I started going to DSO shows the 90s Dead was all I knew and what got me hooked. Foxboro 1990, first rock concert. My perspective has since changed, having been introduced by DSO to the live sound of the various amazing eras from 1969 to late 70's. But forever grateful for the band continuing to play, even a glimpse of their greatness had a big impact on my life.

• 4 months later...

When music becomes just a job, then your gig is over.  Garcia didn't have the guts to tell GD Incorporated, with all its hangers-on, that he was tired of touring all the time.

Beside ill-health and other problems, that's what killed the spirit: Grateful Dead Incorporated.  Constant touring will ruin any band.

• Forum MVP
8 minutes ago, emergency crew said:

When music becomes just a job, then your gig is over.  Garcia didn't have the guts to tell GD Incorporated, with all its hangers-on, that he was tired of touring all the time.

Beside ill-health and other problems, that's what killed the spirit: Grateful Dead Incorporated.  Constant touring will ruin any band.

The heroin and the Camels didn't help the matter either, I suppose....

• Advisory Board
8 minutes ago, emergency crew said:

I am probably wrong, but my feeling from reading everything I could get my eyes on was that Jerry did let it be known in many ways that he was tired of touring, and that it fell on deaf ears by the rest of the band. 

I wouldn't characterize it as not having the "guts" to tell anybody anything. I walked away with the feeling that despite maybe what was inevitable the band let their brother down while Jerry fought the good fight for everyone but himself. 

I'm sure that's too simplistic. No one is to blame and no one is innocent. But Jerry had guts to spare. 

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Jerry did what he did to himself but GDI was running on the fuel of one of the highest grossing live acts in American music history.  Once that train got rollin everybody wanted their cut and largely got it.  It's tough to be the Straw that stirs the drink and to have families that need the wheels to keep turning.  Despite the precipitous drop in the quality of the product, each tour topped the gross of the one before it.

• Forum MVP
6 minutes ago, MidnightCarouselRider said:

500ish Jerry shows. Most are soundboards all are FLAC. 

Really?!?  I've got most of the JGB live catalogue but only a few SBD's and FM's - many are AUD's that sound like shotguns placed inside someone's winter coat.

PM me :)

• Forum MVP

Tea - More like a Sony Walkman, utilizing its internal mic, placed inside somebody's winter coat.  :)

More seriously, the good news is there are enough quality audience tapes of JBG to give one a feel for how it all went down.  The bad news is that soundboards are few and far between, especially after the late 70s.  That said, not including official releases, searching my list reveals 98 SBD records from 1980 on, although some of those are single sets or partials. Sadly, most aren't of the quality we associate with a great board of a Dead show. 

As for "filling in the gaps" with the Dead, the last show chronologically I don't have is 2-6-79 in Tulsa, so they are few gaps to fill.  Apparently that little Midwest winter tour was amidst a nasty cold and snowy spell, making it difficult for tapers on tour to get from Madison to Tulsa.  Some excuse.  Didn't 4-wheelers exist back then? :P

• Forum MVP

Tea - I don't know of any boards of those '83 shows.  But Jeff Silberman's 2nd set PCM recording of 6/18 is plenty sufficient, and his second set of 6/20 is good too.  Somehow he didn't get the first set either night.  Something to do with rain and expensive digital gear.  :)

6/20 is the night the PA's power went out during Wharf Rat, right?  Talk about a "welcome back" Phil load!!

On 2/9/2017 at 1:54 PM, John A said:

Tea - I don't know of any boards of those '83 shows.  But Jeff Silberman's 2nd set PCM recording of 6/18 is plenty sufficient, and his second set of 6/20 is good too.  Somehow he didn't get the first set either night.  Something to do with rain and expensive digital gear.  :)

6/20 is the night the PA's power went out during Wharf Rat, right?  Talk about a "welcome back" Phil load!!

If this is the merriweather show. The power blip was during "Truckin" that was one hell of a show. Covered in mud after pushing the traveling Datsun B210 out of the parking lot.

Archived