Uncle Johns Band->
Drums-> Space->
Gimmi Some Lovin->
Uncle Johns Band->
China Doll->
Saturday Night

Encore;
I Shall be Released

Tangled reached true barn-burner status.  But China Doll was the highlight for me on this evening.  Another one of those tunes that really didn't reach me in my Dead days, but seeing DSO perform it several times now has really illuminated it's exceptional qualities.  Thanks!

I'd love to see the band take just the bridge or whatever in Unbroken Chain and perform it by itself as an occasional jam... The Unbroken Jam   Might even be tasty in a sandwich.

Now about this venue... :moon:

The town and the atmosphere in town before and after the show was fantastic.  Had a blast in Ann Arbor!  But please Gods of the DSO universe, do not book that venue again. It's beautiful and the sound was good, but security was taking their job way too seriously.  They were just dicks in every which and in all the wrong ways.  I watched hippies, peaceful folks, dorks, hot chics, stiffs who must've just came from the office, and just plain ole peaceful folks ALL ready throw down with these pricks by the end of the night.  I mean they refused to chill up until the last note!  They literally and repeatedly told us that we had to remain within a foot and a half square directly in front of our assigned seat.  And too often times physically trying to make us comply.

In a way at first, I felt bad for them because they were being asked to make people do the impossible.  But considering they knew they were asking people to do the impossible, they should have eased up a little.  

Oh well.  I guess all that matters is that none of my friends or I were beat up, thrown out, or arrested. 

• Advisory Board

I was particularly impressed that Skip was able to take something broken in the first set and make it unbroken in the second.

And yes, it was a grand old venue. Beautiful in fact. But 100% reserved seating with no dance spaces except right in front of your seat. Staff was vigilant about enforcing that rule. I was one of a very small handful that found a lucky spot, otherwise it would have been a real letdown when the music makes you move out of your seat cause you have to dance.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

let me start by tossing out a huge thanks to an old DSO buddy .... redeyedburt ... who I probably have not crossed paths with for at mimimum 5 years..but possibly 6 or 7 at a show in Kalamazoo Bells Brewery...

I toured hard with DSO from the start in '97 thru 2006 ... when I moved out to Las Vegas in early 2007 I cut my shows down ...

Tom (redeyedburt) and I became friends with at many a Gratefulfest, shows in the Midwest, etc ... the last time DSO played Ann Arbor in 2003 I was there along with him ...

Anywho Im driving to the show Saturday and Tom sends me a text ... he can't make the show but said I bet the teacher will be ... he emails me his tix ... I went from my 6th row aisle to his row of tix

the tix are most of the front row left ... yes front row ..literally the only place room to dance was available .. I am not a front row person much anymore ...actually never really was ... but in this case Redeyedburt got me, my riding partners JJ and Shawn, along with Dr B and his lady friend room to move ...speaking of Dr B ....his outfits at Cleveland and Ann Arbor were flipping awesome ... but JJ Shawn and I think Barry you needed to add a bracelet and lose a button on Saturday's attire !! ..

So thank you Tom !! ... the vibe is alive !!

as for the show ... Tangled up in Blue is a definite Jeff favorite ... and I am lucky to have the same birthday as Bob Dylan so not only caught it yesterday but at the last 2 jubilees cuz Dylan birthday fell on them ... got an Estimated. .. so did not need to rush the stage ...hehe ...High Time and Used to Love Her are a few songs that are my life themes ... I Shall be Released was pure beauty ..

security was all about protecting the integrity of the theater. .. that is all I will say on that ...

• Advisory Board

Thank you Teacher!

Sweet Annamarie and I had a lovely time in your company in that lucky row. Our little crew were pretty much the only people in the house with any freedom to move whatsoever.

Assuming that you aren't merely poking fun at me (which I richly deserve), the hippest wardrobe for any guy is waiting in the women's section of any well stocked thrift store. And super cheap. And fun. The same is true for the women. And the bracelets and necklaces and beads and belts and headbands and..... Sweet Annamarie and I really have a lot of fun on our "treasure hunts".

It feels more fun than just throwing on a tie dye!

Dr. B

Dr. B...

I don't think I could pull it off.  I'm too husky.  Plus you and Sweet Annemarie are like accessories to each other.  Not sure if it would work quite as well if the two of you weren't in tandem.

Still though, I want to see your box of flair!

Archived