Two Rob's @TXR

sonomajon

• Forum MVP

If they would remove Ross James and Scott law(sorry buddy, two guitars is my limit) this would be a great lineup. Alas, is a busy time of year.

Agreed.  I pulled the trigger despite this on the strength of Rob/Rob and Stu.  I've been in the No Phil Zone since Fare Thee Well, and I don't see many better looking options than this cropping up to catch a show at TXR.

• Forum MVP

My oldest graduates High school this year. What he wants for graduation is to see phil. The last living member he has yet to see live. Trying to figure out the cheapest and most painless way to do so from southern Indiana. Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Free show last night:  Phil, Rob B, Rob E, Jeff M, John Molo, Barry Sless.

2 hour set.

Jack Straw (RE)

Peggy-0 (Phil)

Easy Wind (RB)

Cumberland (ALL)

Cassidy (RE/RB)

Deal (JM)

China (JM)->

Rider (ALL)

The Maker (JM)

Help on the Way (JM)->

Slipknot->

Franklins (Phil)

Morning Dew (JM)

• Advisory Board

Too bad Phil had to overstep his welcome on Peggy-O and Franklins.

I can't help but read that lineup in the band and think to myself (minus Sless) that this was/is the quintet to do justice to the music. Eaton over Weir simply to have a beautiful singing voice without the pontification/shatnerization that became weir after Jerry died.

Phil is the necessary evil, the evil proved by the tasteless vocal grab of 2 Jerry songs. Never content to play his instrument, he needs to play the leader of the band. Skip would have put this lineup over the top, playing the bass like a lead guitar and letting his presence be known without having to strain your ears.

Only thing missing in this lineup is someone like Lisa to make Donna's role better than it ever was in real life, and two drummers like Dino and Koritz to make the percussion section integral and desired and wanted and perfect.

Wait, sounds like DSO. Lucky us!

My mama told me not to say anything if I couldn't say anything nice. I never really took that lesson in from her. Chuckvegas taught me the same lesson by example later on in my life. I took it in a little better from his lead, but obviously I'm still not perfect.

I'm certainly glad for our friends in the band when they have the chance to play with Phil or Bob. Who wouldn't want that? Those chances won't last forever. But for me the best game in town is DSO. Nothing comes close. Not even a distant close. Thank you DSO.

Dr. B

Dr. Barry. You should have listened to your Mama. Phil invites these guys out to his crib and you eviscerate the guy for doing lead vocals on two songs at his own place. It pains me when veterans slam core four guys juxtaposing them in the same context as DSO who are not a touring machine absent Phil Lesh and Bob Weirs existence on the planet and contribution to music. Saw Weir on the Blue Mountain Tour in Chicago on Thursdafy night and it was triumphant. Stop frying to retire guys who are still bringing the heat.

• Forum MVP

Sunday afternoon/evening:

Set 1

Minglewood Blues

Tons of Steel

West LA Fadeaway

Paint My Masterpiece

Bird Song

Promised Land

Shakedown Street ->

Terrapin Station ->

The Other One ->

Stella Blue ->

Throwing Stones ->

Not Fade Away

Set 2:

Maggie's Farm RJ

Serve Somebody RJ

Watching the River Flow SL

Ballad of a Thin Man SL

Memphis Blues -> RJ

Rainy Day Woman RJ

Chimes of Freedom SL

Baby Blue SL

When the sun went down between sets, and the wind kicked into overdrive, this was COLD.  So much so that the band cut it 1 song short (the set list on stage also had Simple Twist of Fate). The show was based on 7-26-87 Anaheim, although certain song were edited out.

Set 1 was the same line up as Saturday.  Set 2 had Scott Law and Ross James alternating in the Dylan role with acoustic guitars. 

Mango would be happy that the extra guitarists never really caused the problem they threatened to on paper, as there were never more than two lead guitars.  And during the Grateful Dead set Mattson and Sless tastefully blended together.  They both took hot leads and they never stepped on each other. 

Dr. B would be happy that Phil sang lead nothing (he did sing along with Jeff during the "Inspiration" section of Terrapin). In fact, Phil left the DSO boys to lead the band throughout the Dead portion, never really getting in the way or dictating the arrangements.  And Rob B sounded great on Tons Of Steel.

TXR was really cooking (literally) yesterday.  Music in bar all day and evening.  About 1,000 people for the outdoor show (that's over 3 Grate Room crowds!).  And a full dining room for brunch, lunch, and dinner.  Insane!

• Forum MVP

It was a totally terrific weekend. What a beautiful spot that TXR back yard is. I had been to to shows in the Grate Room before but not out back and it is set up so comfortably and right on the canals. Saturday was a free two-hour one set show and the music was just great. The Saturday line-up all knew each other quite well and have played together for years. Lots of give and take all around so no one stepped on anyone else. Barry Sless is terrific on both guitar and pedal steel, and there was lots of musical chatter between him and Jeff. The jammy parts were pretty awesome and the entire set ended with a crushing Dew that brought big smiles and a hug from Phil to Jeff. Wonderful moment. Sunday was a 1500 sold out crowd and they blended the two original GD sets 1 and 2 into one set, then followed with the Dylan and the Dead set where Ross James and Scott Law rotated singing. A fantastic show and everyone at TXR was so nice and welcoming. It was a memorable time out in San Rafael!

Archived