Penns peak

Old man down

• Forum MVP

PP kicks ass - One of the bands favorite venues!

You just gotta keep your shit nice and tight and there's generally no problem. Designated drivers are a good idea anytime but especially here.

PRE THANKSGIVING

THERE IS A ROAD BLOCK ON THE WAY UP THE MOUTAIN B4 AND OFTEN AFTER, BE CAREFUL. OTHER THAN THAT THE PLACE IS GREAT TO SEE DSO.. VERY GOOD SOUND AND ALOT OF ROOM TO DANCE. THE BAR HAS HARD BOOZE AS WELL AS CRAFT BEER AND ENERGY DRINKS. THERE IS A NICE SMOKING PATIO WITH A VIEW, SHOULD BE VERY COOL IN NOVEMBER WITH THE LEAVES TURNING.   BUT COPS ARE NO JOKE, USE CAUTION HAVE A GOOD SHOW

• Forum MVP

PRE THANKSGIVING

THERE IS A ROAD BLOCK ON THE WAY UP THE MOUTAIN B4 AND OFTEN AFTER, BE CAREFUL. OTHER THAN THAT THE PLACE IS GREAT TO SEE DSO.. VERY GOOD SOUND AND ALOT OF ROOM TO DANCE. THE BAR HAS HARD BOOZE AS WELL AS CRAFT BEER AND ENERGY DRINKS. THERE IS A NICE SMOKING PATIO WITH A VIEW, SHOULD BE VERY COOL IN NOVEMBER WITH THE LEAVES TURNING.   BUT COPS ARE NO JOKE, USE CAUTION HAVE A GOOD SHOW

YOU FANCY CAPS, NO ?

Been to many a show at "the Peak".  Place is awesome, my favorite indoor venue to see a DSO show.  There's always a solid Shakedown Street outside.  Inside there's plenty of room to dance.  The lines for drinks can be long at times (main bar at the back & small bar upstairs).  They used to have a few beer tubs/girls off to the side selling a small variety of drinks, not sure why they got rid of those.  The attached restaurant "Roadies" is a nice place to relax and get a pre show meal, decent food (probably need a reservation though, place is packed on show nights).  Usually for DSO it's GA, but they do have some folding chairs on the outside of the dance floor and a few upstairs.  If you arrive early enough you can claim them.  It gets very cold up there in the fall/winter months since it's on top of a mountain (windy), but the awesome views offset that.  DSO had to actually cancel a show up there one year due to a snow storm & their bus not being able to traverse the steep incline of the driveway.  The venue is non smoking so don't even try it, they will throw you out.  But if you go outside on the deck I've never seen anyone get hassled for smoking anything, especially during the set break which gets crazy out there!  Have witnessed epic snowball fights, waves or cheers, very friendly atmosphere.  The band seems to break out some choice stuff when they play here.  A summer show in 2014 comes to mind when they played 9/16/78 Sphinx Theatre Giza, Egypt.  Also, this place does sell out sometimes for DSO.  Normally you can get tickets at the door, but there's no guarantee.  So if you're traveling from far away it may be a good idea to secure tickets ahead of time.  The pre-Thanksgiving show is usually always a very special night.  I remember the band commenting a few times about how the venue, and more specific the pre-Thanksgiving pilgrimage means a lot to them.  Add that to the same feeling from the crowd, and it always makes for a memorable night.  A few years back I did notice a cop or two setup on the road going up to the Peak.  I saw them on Indian Hill road & they had a few "heads" pulled over & were giving them the business.  It's hit or miss.  I've also heard of their presence after shows but have gotten home multiple times without seeing any.  Since there's a limited amount of escape routes from the venue, be forewarned.  Outside of the fuzz, this place hits all the marks.  Inside it's like a huge log cabin.  The acoustics are top notch and the staff is usually friendly & relaxed.  Definitely would recommend seeing a show there.

• 1 month later...

Love Penn's Peak!

November 23rd is our wedding anniversary. Five years ago Rob Barraco was kind enough to announce our 20th anniversary at the show.  Now we'll be there again for our 25th anniversary show!

The forum set-up has changed quite a bit since I've been here last. There used to be ways to contact each band member separately. I can't seem to find Rob's contact info to ask if he would announce our 25th weds. night.

Anyway, looking forward to a great time!  Jerry & Linda :) 

Archived