York Pa

Brian NJ

elective. great venue plenty of Dance Space flat. security very cool let you dance anywhere you want. I need to say I never liked Corrina...this is a song that I absolutely detested right down there with victim or the crime. Last Night Dark Star brought corrina to a place I never imagined it can go... I had no clue of the Soulful funky beat and let loose completely danced my ass off...once again DSO brings the Dead to places that it's never gone...FUN SHOW!!! Sunrise was spectacular. Lisa gave it all she's got endless Ovation, crowd just ate it up!!!

• Forum MVP

Elective

Set One: Passenger ; Dire Wolf ; Hell In A Bucket ; Jack-A-Roe ; When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Keep On Growing ; Think ; Lazy Lightning > Supplication ; Bird Song > Jack Straw 

Set Two: Terrapin Station > Corrina > Sunrise ; Saint Stephen > drums > space > Blues For Allah jam > Saint Stephen > Rubin And Cherise > Throwing Stones > Morning Dew 

We forgot an eternity jam in there...Corrina, my 2nd in 400 plus dso shows....I think I am liking this song whether it be the rarity in the rotation or just because...the show was different, but really good...hoping it makes it on disc...happy for my one show...thanks dso..

10/7/16 D.S.O. at The Strand in York PA. I'm going to say it cause I live near by. York is a shitty place to visit unless you are seeing someone play at The Strand. The roads suck getting there and the city it self just really isn't up there in places to visit. I have seen DSO there many many times and it has always been a really good show. This particular show meant a lot to me. In fact it was in my mind going to be a really good show and I was really nervous. How can anyone be nervous about going to a show. Well I was and for good reason.  Here's my story-

A little over 30 years ago, almost to the day, I was stewing over something I felt was done to me and a friend of mine. I wanted revenge. So I went to this kids house and threatened him in his parents home and stole something of his. I was a complete fucking asshole to this kid who maybe was 1/64 of my size. I do mean that he really was that much smaller than me. Well I proceeded to get worse with the things I did to myself and to other people. I stopped drinking a couple years after threatening this kid and started to get on a path of really trying not to be such a douche bag.  Since then I really have been spending a life time apologizing to people but there was always this kid on my mind and badly I treated him. After all we were good friends (at least I thought we were). I always so him at these shows in CT before he got really good at his job. I tried once to apologize at a place called Shanagins in Norwalk CT. Well I got a bit of the chicken shits in me and backed out. Well many many many years passed by and to my amazement I end up seeing this kid doing sound for ------------------------ Yup you guessed it Dark Star Orchestra. Cotter Michaels was that kid I terrorized just a little over 30 years ago. I have been sober now for 28 years and Cotter has always been on my mind. I took a really good friendship and destroyed it. Cotter being the incredible person that he is excepted my apology. I hope and pray at some point down the road that he and I can start off with a new friendship and hopefully in time I will earn his trust again. The entire DSO family really is a good group of people. Don't forget to just applaud for the band because the real band that makes everything we see and hear. 

Cotter Michaels - The great sound we get to hear

Bryan Adcock    - Lighting Engineer

Bob Dziemian   -  Monitors 

Ellie Sanders    -  Merchandise By the Ellie just had a birthday too!!!!!! Happy Birthday Ellie!!!!!!!

Matt Reynolds  -  Road Manager

Nick Tiano        -  Stage Manager

Tim Walther     -   Band Maqnager

When you see any of these people walk right up to them and say thank you for all of your hard work!!!!! They've earned and continue from show to show doing a great job. 

• Advisory Board

I read your post and it didn't move me. At all. Good for you that you got to apologize after 3 decades. Posting about it on the Forums wins you no pat on the back from me. No congratulations due you. It felt like a cry for attention. I have a big reservoir of love and understanding, but your post left me with none of that.

Better that you would have apologized and left it at that rather than broadcast it to the world. Your bad. Your lesson. Your catharsis. Not everything is worthy of being posted. Some things are better left kept between the parties involved.

I do agree with your comments about Cotter and the crew. Cotter is one of the best people in the world. He is pure spirit. He is someone I look forward to sharing time with at every show. And the rest of the crew deserve all the goodwill and appreciation in the world. They are part of the band and we would not receive the gift of DSO without them. And let's not forget Kenny and Ron, our truck and bus drivers.

Dr. B

So, where do the majority of you stand on elective setlists? Prefer them, not so much, or like a steady mix of the two? Just being curious as I personally seem to go back and forth. Like this one here seems like a winner, although I can do without the Sunrise even though I do enjoy Lisas singing. 2nd night of this past Jubilee was great too. I love the fact that it gives them a chance to play different tunes, but I sometimes have a problem with the order in which they appear.

• Forum MVP

Keys got unstuck? Way to go!

The last poll I could readily find on the elective/recreation subject was started on 11/20/10 by someone who limits his posts now (I know we had earlier polls, but I guess they are archived).

The results weren't too shocking: 55.29% for electives (47 votes) to 44.71% (38 votes) for recreations. The thread itself is a walk down memory lane and a memorial to those no longer with us.

As for my preference, I'm still waiting for that Terrapin Nation tour. They say patience is a virtue.

• Advisory Board

Hmmmmmmmm.

Who would that be?

All I can say at this moment was that the elective setlist at Stratton was beyond words. The show was beyond belief. The dance floor on the right side facing the stage was only occupied by about 6-8 family members who could barely breathe. Bodies ached. I will never forget it. Even though it was in the 40's with a strong wind, those 6-8 were warm. I have never seen or experienced that free style frenzy that we had that night. Transforming. Ask someone who was there...

Dr. B

Hey Doc, how you and your better half been? We caught a good elective in Michigan too! Too bad the venue was lame beyond words. And thank you for the poll results Mr. Haslam! I was unaware that it was done. And at the risk of sounding naïve, whats the Terrapin Nation Tour?

By the sound of it Dr. this must have been the best show of your life. You say you never experienced anything like it so I have to ask, was it better than night 2 of the 2015 Jubilee? They recreated that 60s show and I heard even you say in Michigan that it was a "legendary" night. It certainly was for me but you go to way more shows than I could ever dream of. But that night was explosive! the music was insane and just about everybody was going nuts! That was a transformative experience for me and Im sure a few others! What other shows can you recall that you would describe as legendary? Anyone please feel free to answer as I would like to try to seek some out.

• Advisory Board

Well,

There is no doubt that the show at the jubilee you refer too was/is widely regarded as one for the record books and I agree.

If I was going to bare my soul, I would have to admit that my perception of the music and my experience with it has evolved over time. So much of that shift has occurred over the past two years.

Even though I started seeing the GD in 1981, saw many shows etc, and then started seeing DSO in 2001 and have seen many shows, things have changed for me. A lot. While I always was a "knowledgable" Deadhead, I was also never truly free to let go at a show. I was always just self conscious enough to not be fully free to forget myself and live in the moment.

Over the recent past I have had the great fortune to attend shows with my better half, who is a really great dancer, who really loves to express herself through the music and dancing. How lucky for me! I really had little choice. Either stand around and bop and shuffle and not really let myself feel the full depth of immersion into the experience, or take the cue from my partner and share in the joy with her. That's what I did. It changed everything for me. I can never go back now.

It helped that for many years I have been in an expanding circle of friends who love to dance at shows. Really dance. Intense, tribal, cathartic, sweaty, beautiful, chaotic, silly, etc., etc.

There is nothing like a DSO show. And unless you were lucky enough to see the GD when you could have been in a venue with between 500 - 2000 people, this is the real deal. Better than some mega venue or stadium. We are so fortunate. We get to see DSO perform the best music ever, at the very top of their game, in really intimate venues, with friends from all over the country, and have crazy fun. There is absolutely no other game in town like this and when it is over there will never be anything even remotely close to replace it.

I say, enjoy it folks. Learn from my experience. This is the place where you can let go of your ego and self consciousness and become part of the tribal cathartic breakdown. You can dance alone or with others. No judgement. No style. No rules except be considerate of others' space and be kind.

So Stratton somehow was a pinnacle for me. It was the tenth or eleventh show for me on this tour. My last show until fall tour part 2. There was a lot of space on the right side of the stage and a huge speaker tower with loud and great sound. I was surrounded by the love of my life, and a small and tight group of friends (6-8 people) who were all just going all out nuts. It was hard to breathe. It was unbelievable for me. I heard the music, felt it, lived it like never before. Really. And it was a stunning elective, delivered by DSO so superbly, in my opinion as always.

So, there it is. I am experiencing the GD through DSO in a way that is deeper and more meaningful than I ever did back in the day. Sweet Annamarie, good friends, DSO. I am so lucky!

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

...., whats the Terrapin Nation Tour?

Occasionally, maybe once a year at a festival, "Terrapin Nation" will do a special show. It's the DSO folk and maybe a couple guests...seems like the "road crew" such as Matt or Cotter might join in too.  They do not limit the show to Grateful Dead music. One day at Nelson Ledges ....I think it might have actually been the day before the official festival schedule...each of the band members had picked out songs that they wanted to play. It was an assortment of many songs we have all heard outside the GD environment. A very fun show.

Peace and Love,

the other Doc

Well,

There is no doubt that the show at the jubilee you refer too was/is widely regarded as one for the record books and I agree.

If I was going to bare my soul, I would have to admit that my perception of the music and my experience with it has evolved over time. So much of that shift has occurred over the past two years.

Even though I started seeing the GD in 1981, saw many shows etc, and then started seeing DSO in 2001 and have seen many shows, things have changed for me. A lot. While I always was a "knowledgable" Deadhead, I was also never truly free to let go at a show. I was always just self conscious enough to not be fully free to forget myself and live in the moment.

Over the recent past I have had the great fortune to attend shows with my better half, who is a really great dancer, who really loves to express herself through the music and dancing. How lucky for me! I really had little choice. Either stand around and bop and shuffle and not really let myself feel the full depth of immersion into the experience, or take the cue from my partner and share in the joy with her. That's what I did. It changed everything for me. I can never go back now.

It helped that for many years I have been in an expanding circle of friends who love to dance at shows. Really dance. Intense, tribal, cathartic, sweaty, beautiful, chaotic, silly, etc., etc.

There is nothing like a DSO show. And unless you were lucky enough to see the GD when you could have been in a venue with between 500 - 2000 people, this is the real deal. Better than some mega venue or stadium. We are so fortunate. We get to see DSO perform the best music ever, at the very top of their game, in really intimate venues, with friends from all over the country, and have crazy fun. There is absolutely no other game in town like this and when it is over there will never be anything even remotely close to replace it.

I say, enjoy it folks. Learn from my experience. This is the place where you can let go of your ego and self consciousness and become part of the tribal cathartic breakdown. You can dance alone or with others. No judgement. No style. No rules except be considerate of others' space and be kind.

So Stratton somehow was a pinnacle for me. It was the tenth or eleventh show for me on this tour. My last show until fall tour part 2. There was a lot of space on the right side of the stage and a huge speaker tower with loud and great sound. I was surrounded by the love of my life, and a small and tight group of friends (6-8 people) who were all just going all out nuts. It was hard to breathe. It was unbelievable for me. I heard the music, felt it, lived it like never before. Really. And it was a stunning elective, delivered by DSO so superbly, in my opinion as always.

So, there it is. I am experiencing the GD through DSO in a way that is deeper and more meaningful than I ever did back in the day. Sweet Annamarie, good friends, DSO. I am so lucky!

Dr. B

very well put dr. I don't know where to begin on review of Stratton. coming into the venue yes,it was in the forties about a 15 mile per hour wind, wind chills must have been towards the low 30s.as the band came on it looked as if some band members had a look of disbelief that they were actually playing at that temperature. waiting for the music to start , I noticed a few people staring at me,shorts and barefoot.that is the best attire for me if I want to dance and really let loose, shoes, clothes seem too confining considering physical disabilities. this allows for me to really get down when my feet feel grounded, each toe giving me the balance that I need at any given moment..

what an amazing selection of songs on this elective. Tom Thumb Memphis Shakedown atticts beautiful Harmony on attictsweather report going down the road strange manand others I can't remember right now.the Synergy of dance on the right front side was just amazing. Barry Annemarie myself others allowing the music to take us to a place where nothing exists but pure joy ecstatic cathartic fulfillment of the Spirit. each of us in our own little world converging in dance like one living organism. Only the moment exsist....this seems to carry on for me after the shows. it is a necessity that I do this that I dance that I release the primal need for spiritual harmony with my tribemates. Once a few days after doing shows I was at dinner with friends and we were outside before going to cars someone asked me what time is it I said 11:11, they said make a wish.I was confused I guess moments like 11:11 there is something about that you need to make a wish so I looked at them and said I wish for 11:12.what I experienced at these shows puts me so in the moment so here so now and it carries On as I continue with other aspects of my life. to be in the moment is priceless. I've watched many people always chasing, wether it be money women men a drug status prestige material wealth possessions with the illusion that when they gather it they will be happy and life will be good. what a waste of this precious thing called life to not be here right now in the moment enjoying what is.

I have come down many roads in my life climbed mountains and crawled out of valleys experience wealth love loss of both experienced life and deathI have experienced joy peace turmoil confusionI have experienced being so far from Humanity that it looked like an illusion I have experience being so much a part of humanity that it seems that is all life is meant to be. I have experience hundreds of days out of the year year after year searching psychedelic fulfillment I have experienced a 6000 mic mind bending trajectory to the farthest reaches of space.have experience all of this and more but I have never experienced what I feel when things come together like they did at Stratton Mountain...

THANK YOU band crew friends and all the circus handlers that make this possible...

Please forgive punctuation and typos, my laptop crapped out on me spilled 4 shots of espresso on it and now amusing voice to text on my cell phone.

Terrapin is always the best not sure if chimes of Freedom has been at Terrapin show think it was filler after the dso.

7 song terrapin a soundcheck for grateful Fest was amazing.Mexicali terrapin was fantastic I can't remember name Beatles song...

• Forum MVP

"...been on the shelf for years." Sad but true. Hence my patience.

That soundcheck was on 7-3-07, I believe, and was unreal. It kicked off a phenomenal time at the Ledges. The one Doc Watson brought up was a blast too. Lisa's pick was Nothing But Flowers and it doesn't get much better than that.

Seems like the time is right for Low Spark.

Archived