West Coast Tour dates - Feb 2017

Teacher Matt

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

And much of my bitching was semi sarcastic. I feel ashamed now :(

I've said it before , I' guess I will say it again.... his name IS Rude. Doggggg. He chose his moniker with purpose and has the disclaimer when his rants take on a life of their own.

• Forum MVP

Until work just got busy I was in full planning mode. I'll need to get some "green" clothing as I don't want to get shamed by earthy people out west.

And now the cats out of the bag. Midwest right after. Doesn't eaton know our whole plan today was to get him to release one Midwest date. Muahahahaha.

• Advisory Board

Nobody really understands the complexity of tour planning except the band and their management. There are many factors that figure in to it that we as fans just don't see and can't appreciate.

Finances, venues, weather, gas, lodging, promoters, competing touring acts, historical precedence, family concerns, personal preferences, fan hotspots, fan cold spots, new markets, and I'm sure much more that I have no clue about.

We come to "expect" that the tours will stay similar from year to year. All of us creatures of habit. Now the band is tweaking their schedule based on from I gather their ability to maximize attendance at their shows, based on what has worked and what hasn't. More power to them. The more successful their tours the more touring they will do. More for me, more for you too.

We only get to see the show, we don't get to see the logistics that it took to get it to us. In my dreams I wish they would take up residency at Martyrs again (in Chicago), but for reasons I don't understand it seems like they don't regularly even sell out Chicago. I would have thought we were a stronger market here in the city of DSO's genesis, but we're not. Oh well. I would like to see multi night runs in cool cities over weekends. That would let me see more shows. Weekday shows are hard for me. But I get it, not my say. Not my call. There is a delicate balance between what the fans may want (and we are certainly not a homogeneous group) and the many factors noted above.

I'm just one in ten thousand...

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

I always wondered why Midwest was winter considering the canceled shows. but then again I think the band should never leave the Midwest. Maybe set up shop halfway between St. Louis and Nashville as a home base show once a week. Who would object to that. Not I.

Maybe now we know what the western people felt like after no fall tour. I had no sympathy as my greed of a bonus tour overwhelmed the side of my brain that empathizes with others suffering. Maybe they need to just follow my lead and hit the road more. With a little prodding I think I can get people like Dr B and MC out to berkley. Its a daunting task but my promotion skills are second to none.

• Forum MVP

My complaints, admittedly are just me being selfish and not at all a slight to all the hard work and hard miles the band, crew, families, and bus go though year after year. I take what i get but I always want more. If i could just hit this pesky lotto DSO can play my backyard 10-15 times a year and all will be welcome to annual Dark star Duckstock. Until then i'll be there when I can and be very grateful for what i get

• Forum MVP

Seems like my sarcasm today was too thick. Getting messages from touring gods displeased with my cockiness. I'm gonna slowly put down the phone and back away from the LED screen.

• Forum MVP

And much of my bitching was semi sarcastic. I feel ashamed now :(

I've said it before , I' guess I will say it again.... his name IS Rude. Doggggg. He chose his moniker with purpose and has the disclaimer when his rants take on a life of their own.

And behind frustration is love. Otherwise , nobody would say a thing.

And bring ALL your best cold weather gear to the NW. My 30 degree bag should've been a Zero degree in JULY !!!! I JULY.!!! Coldest JULY I have ever spent. I brought an extra blanket thankfully and stuffed into my bag to stay warm. A friend from Denmark once told me there is no bad weather, just bad clothing. But beautiful !! So beautiful and the nicest people. We just might retire there after the kids finish college and fill in for vacationing professionals.

Looks fun and sensible to me. I could see if my southern roots can handle the dark cold days of February. It could be a trial run For my southern blood.

Except for the jet lag. It is hell to do precision work on fumes.

Heck - what really matters is that you are true to the Truth in your heart and LIVE it. Mine says I need to dance regularly. Going to check out the Music Farm in Columbia, SC and see Chris Robinson Brotherhood soon. Yippee

Say hello to Columbia for me.....my home town. Grateful to have attended the one and only GD show there on 10/31/85.

• Forum MVP

Ok I can no longer read this thread without saying a few things.

Let me start by saying nothing we do is meant to piss anyone off. Quite frankly taking the lives of all of us to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland etc in Feburary is a risk at best. Our bus doesn't have snow tires, studs etc. In our view the Pacific Northwest is not nearly as dangerous for us to travel in. I read bitching about St Louis. Well St Louis doesn't support the band. That being Said we are Giving St Louis a Fri in late March. Instead of playing the places in Feb in the Midwest we are playing them instead 60 days later in April, is it really bitch worthy? A point of note with only one west coast tour there will be more areas in the upper, lower mid west, south etc that we can play. Exposing people in city's not normally toured by us a chance to enjoy the music. Well I've said enough.. lastly we work really hard traveling thousands of miles trying to make people feel good. I guess there was a reason I left the forums.. I'll go away again....

Enjoy everyday like it's your last and find positivity in life.

Rob hope you know any bitching you see here is 100% greed. We want your band in and around our hometown every tour. When it happens for a while we develop traditions around it. When it changes it's like your favorite restaurant taking away your favorite dish. You're like, wtf. Then you go, oh well, I'll try the eggplant parm with roasted Brussel sprouts.

• Forum MVP

I'm stoked for February shows in NW...actually a pretty sweet time of year up this way...the earliest signs of spring birth as the light is returning,,,

As far as the notion of just one west coast tour per year...well...Mr. Vegas would probably point out that that's where jet planes come in pretty useful. Will do what's gotta be done to get proper vitamin dosage of this fine music...

I can only imagine that planning a full tour and full year of touring involves playing QUITE the chess board!

With all that people are facing these days all over the planet,,,we must fall into the ultra fortunate category if we got time to bitch about our favorite band's tour schedule!!

Bring on the MUSIC!!

• Forum MVP

Say hello to Columbia for me.....my home town. Grateful to have attended the one and only GD show there on 10/31/85.

Sure will ! The armpit could've been the jewel of the state had the Union not burned it to the ground after the mayor turned the city over willingly. That fair city would have been Charleston's little sister. The good spirit still abides though. Much love for Papa Jazz, Five Points.

Did you ever see the Other People ? Russ, Randy, Tommy, Greg and Cedo. Super fun times seeing them play some GD music ! And the all time favorite "Possum Meat"

Uncle Mingo , Jump Little Children and Jupiter Coyote (go Terriers!!) made for great times too! Hula hooping skills highlighted in the infancy of what it has become to the scene but equally celebrated !

• Forum MVP

Ok I can no longer read this thread without saying a few things.

Let me start by saying nothing we do is meant to piss anyone off. Quite frankly taking the lives of all of us to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland etc in Feburary is a risk at best. Our bus doesn't have snow tires, studs etc. In our view the Pacific Northwest is not nearly as dangerous for us to travel in. I read bitching about St Louis. Well St Louis doesn't support the band. That being Said we are Giving St Louis a Fri in late March. Instead of playing the places in Feb in the Midwest we are playing them instead 60 days later in April, is it really bitch worthy? A point of note with only one west coast tour there will be more areas in the upper, lower mid west, south etc that we can play. Exposing people in city's not normally toured by us a chance to enjoy the music. Well I've said enough.. lastly we work really hard traveling thousands of miles trying to make people feel good. I guess there was a reason I left the forums.. I'll go away again....

Enjoy everyday like it's your last and find positivity in life.

Rob hope you know any bitching you see here is 100% greed. We want your band in and around our hometown every tour. When it happens for a while we develop traditions around it. When it changes it's like your favorite restaurant taking away your favorite dish. You're like, wtf. Then you go, oh well, I'll try the eggplant parm with roasted Brussel sprouts.

Very true.  Now tell the wife you are going to eat egg plant for 3 days in February or invite the wife for 3 days of eggplant with a dash of grateful dead archives and a sprinkle of haight ashbury.  Plus she needs a few shows that dont involve tents, campfires and 13 people crammed into a van with miniature cars everywhere set up like road cones.  It will be like Asheville part 2 but make sure she knows you mean 2016 asheville and not 2014 Asheville.

• Forum MVP

I do FB like Rob E. does this forum...gave it up so I can be of no help there but...I have never seen DSO west of Austin TX

As we used to say where I am going to see DSO next...Brooklyn NY (where I was born!!!!) and say to immature middle school students

TOUGH NOOGIES...or if you older than high schoolers substitute SH*T

"Gone are the days we stopped to decide, where we should go, we just ride..."

It appears to me they basically just switched the midwest dates to the fall and put the PNW in winter - which is probably better because the weather is awful in the Midwest in February.  And looks like they added some stops.

Really looking at that Portland>Eugene run as a potential run out west!  I'd like to hit the Berkely run too though.  Ugh, so many roads...

I don't know how many more adventures I can go on without bringing my daughter somewhere.  It's just not fair for me to see all these places and deny her that experience.  So at some point I also want need to concoct a "family" vacation either to the mountains or west coast which as always has to somehow center around a a few DSO shows.  Was considering Oregon Country Fair (DSO needs to play that!) because I really think my daughter would be into it, but don't know how much I would be.  Can only take so much peace & love in the absence of DSO.

I wish I knew what they were planning for spring/summer.

• Forum MVP

I've got on FB to fight the trolls but usually when someone trashes dso. I try to shame them as badly as I can. The 2 times I have it had been a guy from jersey and New York. They tend to be the biggest douche bags. No offense to New Yorkers but I'm sure you guys are aware of some of the people. You see it a lot in sports there. Don't dare have a bad football game or you are now a bum and will be booed relentlessly. You can be an all star, but strike out 3x in a game and you are a bum and get booed.

I never in my life saw Derek jeter get booed and he went on like 20 game hitless streak one year. Not one boo. I was a youngster in the 80s and loved Donnie baseball..I don't think he ever got booed. But that could be the only New York exceptions in my lifetime. I'm sure Micky mantle, yogi, the babe, Lou g and all the greats from those past decades never got booed either. New York is the hardest city to be a player on any of the teams. The newspapers are relentless also.

Archived