bs69

• Forum MVP

If I had a year to where I could go back and do a bunch of shows, this may be it. I was watching the concert video of the Stones 72 tour last night and it got me to thinking about all of the great tours that year. The Dead had Europe 72 and the amazing fall run starting in Veneta, Pink Floyd was touring playing what would become Dark side of the moon, Led Zeppelin was rampaging and taking no prisoners and the Stones were at, in my opinion, their peak with Mick Taylor on guitar. All of these bands were at their best and not yet playing the huge venues that would come later in the decade. Need that time machine!

• Advisory Board

Wish I was there, but only 7.5 years old. But I really wish I was present in San Francisco from 67-69.

Chuck knows, and discretion to the wind, but I think at that time I would have been an Airplane devotee first, and Grateful a very close second. But why choose?

Dr. B

• Advisory Board

https://youtu.be/Kg60kuBOTxE

Airplane. October 25, 1969. Double bill with the Grateful Dead. Winterland. Give it a listen. It will change you forever if you haven't really "gotten" the Jefferson Airplane.

I have always wished for a special "recreation" of this double billed show. Either our favorite band plays the Airplane show (that would be way over the top incredible, and my preference) or another band that pays homage to the Airplane does it. Then after the Airplane show DSO does the dead show. Only problem is that it looks like from the poster that the Airplane had top billing. Maybe the dead show would need to come first for historical accuracy, but I could overlook that detail and have the evening end with the Dead's show. I think, but am not totally positive that at the double billed Airplane/Grateful Dead shows of the era that the Airplane was the "bigger" act, and thus got top billing.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

I was lucky enough to catch the Airplane when they did their reunion tour in 89'. They played an amphitheater that was inside an amusement park outside of Cincinnati called Timberwolf, definitely a fun day. I'm sure the music was not quite as good as back in the sixties but a good time was had by all.

• Forum MVP

That was a good year!  Lots of good tours and I was born.

And a zep, floyd, dead, stones round robin sounds like a plan.  The only issue was airline travel cost like 5% of the average salary.  Now a round trip is like 1%.  But.....we'd know who to bet to make up for the expensive flights!!!  Id go way back and drop a load on Dewey.  He wouldnt lose this time!!  Then I'd parlay that with betting on the Baltimore Colts to beat the Jets in the superbowl!!!  That would be my tour money for spring 69 dead.  Id have to get to a point where I really liked Airplane as they played alot with the dead in those days.  Then when I hit the 80's Id short lots and lots of microsoft stock. They were a fluke.   Theres my plan!

• Forum MVP

I'll follow Mango to '69 so I can experience both Janis and Jimi live before they flew on in '70 (can you believe those two died within about 2 weeks of each other!!??),,

And of course...a few other bands cranking along in that year wouldn't hurt to catch live

• Forum MVP

I would love to catch some shows in 69', that would probably be my second choice. To see Jimmy and Janice before they left us would be incredible. I have a couple of tapes of some Hendrix shows in San Fran from that year and the energy is amazing, the sound not so much. Seeing him live with a kick ass sound system would have been something to behold.

• Forum MVP

Hey kind of along those lines...the 40th anniversary of The Band's 'Last Waltz' concert on 11/25/76 is coming up. What an incredible evening of music was created at Winterland that night.

I'm considering a jaunt into Seattle for a recreation of the event (will be held on 11/19) with many musicians involved....I'm thinking there may be other similar events happening in other parts of the country to commemorate this historical music event......?

• 5 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Idea:

DSO should re-create the entire Europe 72 tour in 2017 (the 45th anniversary!).

So many incredible shows.

Yes, that would be essentially pre-announcing the style of the show and purists may object.

I think it would be totally cool!

It depends on if you caught 2 shows or 10.  I think it would get a tad stale after my 3rd.  They didnt vary the setlists much at all on that tour.  It was pretty much 90% repeats and they played playin almost every show.  Unfortunately they killed too many songs they shouldnt have killed from the 60s.  But then again when you listen to a 1985 version of cryptical, you have to think that they should have left it retired and you definitely weren't thinking I wish Jerry would bust out a mountains of the moon.

• Forum MVP

Don't encourage that. Baracco loves playing the Europe 72 shows. Hell im pretty sure the whole band has a special affinity for it. When Koritz was on praternity leave, we got a bunch of Europe 72 repeats. DSO has a growing touring fan base. Those that go to large runs of shows do not want to hear the same songs every night. This does not work for us. I know it may be great for those that do one or two but I repeat this does not work for those of us who are on the road.

• Forum MVP

Set lists in the 80s had way more variety then the Europe 72 shows. I did the Europe 72 box set straight through when I got it. It eventually become really redundant for me despite the incredible performances by the band and the excellent sound quality of the recordings.

I do see your point though. Dso puts a lot more care and effort to pull from the whole catalogue and avoid repeats from night to night then the Grateful Dead possibly ever did. You guys agree with that?

• Forum MVP

Still a lot of repeats in may 77. Estimated almost every night. I love what Dso is doing right now. I would figure about half electives and half recreations maybe a touch more recreations. Recreations touch on many eras and the electives give you some songs you don't hear in the shows. If it's not broke, why fix it?

Archived