College Basketball

bs69

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Ky looked good but Michigan state will likely have a rough year. That didn't look like a typical physical msu team. I'm still waiting to see how UK plays vs a physical team considering freshmen are usually weak physically. Bam is a beast. He's physically ready for pros. Fox is a great pg, but he's physically weak. Super fast but needs the weight room bad and he keeps reaching for steals and then just letting the defender blow by. This ain't high school. U can't steal every time.

I didn't realize that all 3 of dukes freshmen were injured. Was a buzzkill not seeing those guys. In essence Duke was playing like a team on probation with 0 scholarships lol. They played great without them. They will be tough when they return.

• Forum MVP

Just watched this horrible UK vs Cleveland state blowout. Announcers said the coaches think KY has separated themselves from the rest of the SEC field. Umm. It would be the football equivalent of Bama joining the AAC and their toughest opponents are Memphis and cincinatti with every few years a Houston type senior team sneaking into the top 10. The SEC is such a football league that their basketball has become 2nd tier and if you removed UK, there would be 2-3 mud major conferences with better hoops. Getting 2-4 teams a year into the tourney is just sad. Every year I have to face conference play and the depression of trying to get excited for UK ole miss hoops. Any true fan wants top matchups every week. My brother went to Maryland. They got 2 games with Carolina and Duke every year plus all the other solid teams. Theres so little passion for hoops in the red south. :(

• Forum MVP

I have the same problem as a university of Cincinnati basketball fan. We went from the big East with great teams on a regular basis to the AAC.The AAC is decent in hoops but it's not the same, even UCONN is off to a bad start this year.

• Forum MVP

The big east 10 years ago was insane. I think at 1 point they had 12 of the top 25 ranked teams. Crazy conference. AAC is about like sec except u don't have a KY. Haven't analyzed all of the basketball FPI but overall sec has to be the 5th or 6th best conference top to bottom. Yeah u have KY but that doesn't jump them up any in my book.

• Forum MVP

I know it's early but judging from what I've seen so far, UNC is looking like they'll be heavy favorites to win the title in March. BTW......keep it in mind, I run a bracket pool 20 $ per bracket max 2 entries. A lot of familiar names are in it. You will need CBS Sportsline ID. Peace.

• Forum MVP

Yep- you'll see Aaron.

I'm excited about your prognostication.  UNC has looked awfully tough although IU just got 'em.  

With their size, defense, and rebounding, if they just shoot an average percentage from the parameter, they will be scary-good.  KY looks really good too - let's hope they get some occasional competition in the SEC.  UNC will be battle-tested with the likes of Duke, UVA, Louisville, Syracuse on the docket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Wow. UK 103. UNC 100. One of best games I've ever seen. Twice under 2 minutes UNC went ahead and both times Malik Monk hit 3's to tie and take the lead. Amazing game.

Monk's stats. 18/28 FG's. 8/11 3's. WOW!!!

UK's lack of elite depth will hurt them im afraid. Their 1st 6 are great. But when you get to that 7th and 8th spot the talent dropoff is serious. Bam adebayo who is as athletically gifted as any player I've seen, fouled out again. He can jump higher with a body on him than anyone I've seen but he is a horrible fouler. Ugh. Next year may be a rough year for UK as they lose at least 4 of their 1st 5 guards and maybe the 5th. We will lose our starting center and forward and probably backup forward. So KY will be losing possibly 8 of the only 9 players that see minutes. That's the problem with the 1 and done. If you don't have a few solid returning players you have holes. Last year UK had best backcourt in the country and it wasn't even close but they had one of the worst fromtcourts in the country. How many games I said if we only had (insert any team they played's) frontcourt we'd win it all.

• 1 month later...
  • Forum MVP

Starting toward the home stretch. I've been watching quite a bit of hoops lately. This year is going to be ridiculously hard to predict, seems like everyone has flaws. Very impressive win for Kansas Saturday night. I like the way my UC Bearcats are looking, I think we could make a deep run this year.

• Forum MVP

Duke and Kentucky are underperforming badly. Duke had everything they needed to win it all, at least I thought. They have 5 1st round NBA guys for god sakes. Luke kennard is freaking spectacular and he wasn't even supposed to be their star and they still can't put anything together.  Giles and Tatum have turned out to be duds compared to their 1 and 3 high school ranking. A number 1 is supposed to be like an Anthony Davis or John wall or Karl towns . Tatum isn't those guys. Giles has dropped to around 20th in mock drafts and he's only that high based on potential and not his play.  Duke was getting 5-1 to win it all before the season and I thought that was easy money.  

• Forum MVP
On 1/30/2017 at 10:22 AM, rudedogggg said:

Duke and Kentucky are underperforming badly. Duke had everything they needed to win it all, at least I thought. They have 5 1st round NBA guys for god sakes. Luke kennard is freaking spectacular and he wasn't even supposed to be their star and they still can't put anything together.  Giles and Tatum have turned out to be duds compared to their 1 and 3 high school ranking. A number 1 is supposed to be like an Anthony Davis or John wall or Karl towns . Tatum isn't those guys. Giles has dropped to around 20th in mock drafts and he's only that high based on potential and not his play.  Duke was getting 5-1 to win it all before the season and I thought that was easy money.  

Surreal year for Duke nation......I've ratcheted my expectations way down. Tons of injuries I know, but still.....the chemistry is not there. And the freshmen are all underwhelming. Every one of them should come back for their sophomore year, but I doubt they will. I don't know how UNC manages to keep their players around for several years.....lately Duke guys bolt for the NBA like UK guys.

The only player on the team worth a damn right now is Kennard.....a man possessed.....will make a decent pro I think.

• Forum MVP

Good win for Duke last night, now Notre Dame is in a funk. There is still time for these teams to get it together and get hot in March. I feel really bad for Xavier losing Sumner for the rest of the year, they had one of the best backcourts in the country with him and Bluiett and could have made a run but will now be fighting just to make the tourney.

• Forum MVP

This won't make my state happy but I think my fav player in the country is Luke Kennard of Duke. His Saturday 2nd half performance was 10/10 from the field for 30 points.   He is the best 3 point shooter in the country and he's 6'6".  He's also almost unstoppable taking it to the rim.  His 2 point percentage is 59% which is crazy good for a guard.  I predict he goes top 10 NBA draft even though he's projected from 35-20th.  Hard to pass on a 6'6" lights out shooter who has ridiculous vision.

Last night watchef UK play Georgia with KY missing their star PG Fox. Went to overtime and it was a home game. If not for insane shooting from Monk, Kentucky loses this game.  He had like 35 points.  After Fox injured his ankle 2 weeks ago, KY lost 2 straight before this close win. I read he had a boot on his ankle and he wasn't even on the bench last night. UK's season is over if he's hurt. 

• Forum MVP

Kennard played in high School close to me and I got to see him play a couple times. Obviously he was totally dominant on that level and it is difficult to tell if that will translate against better competition, but you could tell he was special. His final decision came down to Duke and Kentucky, I'm guessing you wish he would have stayed closer to home.

• Forum MVP
11 hours ago, rudedogggg said:

This won't make my state happy but I think my fav player in the country is Luke Kennard of Duke. His Saturday 2nd half performance was 10/10 from the field for 30 points.   He is the best 3 point shooter in the country and he's 6'6".  He's also almost unstoppable taking it to the rim.  His 2 point percentage is 59% which is crazy good for a guard.  I predict he goes top 10 NBA draft even though he's projected from 35-20th.  Hard to pass on a 6'6" lights out shooter who has ridiculous vision.

Last night watchef UK play Georgia with KY missing their star PG Fox. Went to overtime and it was a home game. If not for insane shooting from Monk, Kentucky loses this game.  He had like 35 points.  After Fox injured his ankle 2 weeks ago, KY lost 2 straight before this close win. I read he had a boot on his ankle and he wasn't even on the bench last night. UK's season is over if he's hurt. 

Agree, Rude.....Kennard is my favorite Duke player in a couple of years, probably since Tyus Jones.....the kid has ice water running through his veins.

He does have a quirky habit of playing with his hair while on the court.....kind of funny.

• Forum MVP

Big double header tonight: Duke v UNC followed by Oregon @ UCLA with Walton on the broadcast, worth staying up for. 

On a side note, I was at the Cincy v Central Florida game last night and Taco Fall from UCF is the biggest dude I've ever seen, 7'6"! I swear he reached out and dunked one over a player from outside the lane barely leaving his feet!

Archived