College Basketball

bs69

• Forum MVP
10 minutes ago, bs69 said:

Happy to see Dook win!

Things like that shouldn't make you happy.  That's like saying you're happy when you have the stomach flu - to each his own I guess.

It was a great game - let's see how Dook fares in the friendly confines of the Dean Smith Center later in February.  I will say, I like Dook's remaining schedule much more than UNC's although it may help UNC be more battle-tested leading up to the ACC and NCAA tournaments.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I became a bit of a Duke fan by chance. I lived in South Durham for a year in 81-82 while my dad was a visiting professor at Duke. He made basketball season tickets part of the deal for him to come down. Got to see a lot of great ACC talent that year. Much to my chagrin Carolina won the title and Duke was terrible that year. Maryland and Virginia were also loaded, Sampson was something to see in person back then. Maryland had Albert King, Len Bias and Adrian Branch. 

• Forum MVP
On 2/17/2017 at 10:52 PM, bs69 said:

I became a bit of a Duke fan by chance. I lived in South Durham for a year in 81-82 while my dad was a visiting professor at Duke. He made basketball season tickets part of the deal for him to come down. Got to see a lot of great ACC talent that year. Much to my chagrin Carolina won the title and Duke was terrible that year. Maryland and Virginia were also loaded, Sampson was something to see in person back then. Maryland had Albert King, Len Bias and Adrian Branch. 

Good choice bs69........I've been on the Blue Bus since the late 70's.....it's been a hell of a ride!

• Forum MVP

Congrats to 'Cuse for a nice win tonight and a terrific game......I don't feel particularly bad for losing that game.....2 inadvertent bank shots in the final 2 minutes.....the hoops gods were biased tonight, and that's OK with me......next play!

• Forum MVP

The Carolina v Louisville game was a bit of a dud.  About the sloppiest 1st half I've seen for 2 supposed heavy-weights.   UNC's rebounding and Louisville's poor free-throw shooting sealed the deal.

UNC can play slow and ugly but would rather have a track-meet as they are one of the best in transition.  As long as UNC stays healthy and keeps turning up the D, they have a decent chance to make the Final Four.

Rick Pitino melts down because a fan told him he sucked.  I realize things are getting more and more hostile on the road but I'm shocked he got hooked so easy.  Great coach but also a philandering scumbag - now add thin-skin to that list

• Forum MVP

Thin skinned works. Please don't condemn someone on moralistic grounds. Forgive them if it causes you a to carry a load because of their actions. Otherwise leave it alone until you've walked in their shoes. I know I need forgiveness not condemning. I learn through communication not excommunication. 

• Forum MVP
1 hour ago, Mason's Child said:

Thin skinned works. Please don't condemn someone on moralistic grounds. Forgive them if it causes you a to carry a load because of their actions. Otherwise leave it alone until you've walked in their shoes. I know I need forgiveness not condemning. I learn through communication not excommunication. 

I'm no saint and he doesn't need my forgiveness - he'll be just fine without me in his corner.  I get it tho - his  tribulations become my burden if it comes from a place of judgement and spite.

I'm not necessarily a good person just because I don't beat my kids cheat on my wife,  or sanction brothels for college athletes .   I can only wish he shows true contrition  for his mistakes and demonstrates that he has learned from them.  That's all we can ever ask from ourselves.

• Forum MVP

Regardless of Pitino's issues, hes the best coach in the country.  He doesnt get the star talent, but his system is soooo good.  As a UK fan, Id want him back in a second.  Calipari cant coach to save his life.  He can get the talent and that is what he seems to only care about.  He imfamously said about the 2015 team, his goal was to get 8 players drafted, not to win a national championship.  Well he got 7 drafted and lost it because he sat Ulis and booker in favor or the Harrison scrubs.  Pitino would have had the best team in NCAA history if he had that talent to work with. 

And this year shows again how Kentucky fails to improve as a team as others do improve.  UK ranked 11th is such a joke.  We are barely beating the worst the SEC has to offer but keeping the ranking strictly because of wins.  UK and florida probably wouldnt be top 25 if in a decent conference. 

• Forum MVP

Battle of the Blues on Sat @ Chapel Hill.  While UNC has locked up at least a share of the reg season + #1 seed on the ACC tourney, there's still a bunch to play for:

UNC

Probably not a #1 seed for NCAA as it stands.  While Duke is not a top 10 team, a win coupled with a deep run in the conference tourney might be just enough given the quality of the conference.  A win with a good defensive effort with poise down the stretch would help build continuity and confidence.

Duke

They need a win to have a possibility to stay in the top 4 for in the ACC tourney.  A loss guarantees them the need to win 4 games in 4 days to win the title. With the recent injuries and a 6-man rotation, it would be an uphill battle to get to the promised land.  They need to be as rested as possible to avoid an exit before the Sweet 16.  A season sweep of UNC would also be a good springboard.  

Prediction:

Grayson Allen buzzer-beater.  Duke 80, UNC 79.  Instant Classic.

• Forum MVP

Fun game to watch, but if you like defense this game was not for you. It will be interesting to see how these teams do against the better defensive teams in the tournament. Didn't go very well for UNC at Virginia

• Forum MVP
17 hours ago, bs69 said:

Fun game to watch, but if you like defense this game was not for you. It will be interesting to see how these teams do against the better defensive teams in the tournament. Didn't go very well for UNC at Virginia

It really was a really fun game. I thought both teams played very well.

Duke lost because they missed 5 of their last 8 foul shots, ironic after hitting almost all of their foul shots up until that point.

I don't see Duke going very far in the Big Dance.....Tarheels should go deep.....good team with good depth.

• Forum MVP

I know it's a weak bubble this year, but if Syracuse gets in with their record it would be a travesty. A 2-11 record on the road with the 2 wins being at Clemson and NC ST.? Very weak!

• Forum MVP

Agreed.  I'd rather give the at-large to a mid-major who lost in the conference championship.

The ACC is good but not a reason to let them in.  Unfortunately, Syracuse would be good for business.  Errrr, I mean....Student Athletes.

• Forum MVP

They should also have the first four in Dayton be the last 4 at large teams. Let the little guys go straight into the field and let 8 at large teams duke it out in Dayton for the 12 seeds

• Forum MVP

This is why I love basketball.  There is so much parity.  Anything can happen.  Kansas already out of their tourney losing to TCU.  Crazy.  The ACC is stacked.  Virginia/ Notre Dame and Duke Louisville playing on a Thursday means you are deep.  Pitino doesnt mind losing in a conference tourney though.  In 96 UK lost in their tourney then wins it all.  He is great at using losses to benefit the team.  Of Kentuckys greatest stretch of 1996-98 they lost in their conference in 96 and 98 then won it all.  They won their tourney in 97 then lose a heartbreaker in OT to arizona in the finals.  That arizona team lost its last 2 games of the season and had the hardest road ever to win the championship.  They were the only team in history to beat 3 number 1 seeds in Kansas, Carolina and KY.  It will probably never happen again. 

The only thing Im sure of is UK will not be in the final four.  I have a hard time watching this team.  They have no leaders on the floor.  Calipari refuses to sit players who are completely out of it.  I think he no longer has the passion to coach.  MY favorite team was the 2012 UK champs.  Kidd Gilchrist was the hardest worker Ive ever seen and a natural leader.  Calipari sat Terrence Jones at least 5+ times in the 1st minute of the game that year for any miss or foul or anything.  He toughened Jones up and it led to a dominant championship game.  On UK's undefeated season no matter what those Harrison twins did whether refuse to run down the court or whatever, he wouldnt sit them.  Next years Kentucky team will be probably the worst hes ever coached as we are losing 3 seniors plus the rest of the team to the draft.  No ones coming back.  You cant win with all freshmen.  Calipari will leave for the pros after this year.  Hes gone.  He has a pro mentality anyway.  He always talks about his players in the NBA.  Who gives a shit about NBA.  Why do I care what a 1 year player who I never got to really know is doing in the pros.  I really dislike Calipari.  Its sad that Pitino had to test the NBA waters because UK would have had a dynasty with him as coach.  He only lacks talent at Louisville.  Give him the players UK gets and wow.  Of course Im a traitor in KY for liking Pitino. 

I cant wait until next Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Gotta hand it to Duke - they made better halftime adjustments than the Heels.  Losing Berry for most of the 2nd half took UNC out of their rhythm and Duke just flat-out executed.

Duke deserved to win but the officiating just sucked the joy out of this installment of a great rivalry.  Neither team could get an offense rebound without getting called. Too bad....

• Forum MVP

On a sad note, the St. Louis and Nashville shows are during final 4 and championship game. Are u kidding me. Ugh. If by some chance uk gets to final 4 I'll be watching it and in the finals I won't be going to Nashville. It's a long shot but there's a chance. Vegas has uk like 2nd or 3rd fav but that's just because of the money bet. 

Archived