Paying the Dead

crippledbutfree

Do these guys pay the Grateful Dead in any way?? They make an incredible amount of money & vacations playing music written and performed by others. I know the guys were adamant about allowing us to take the music and do what we want with it but this seems extreme to me. There seems to be many GD "cover" /"tribute" bands playing decent sized venues and they are just copying another's creativity. Does not take much thought to play another's music, the same way does it??  

Seems to me if someone was using my art, music, creativity for their benefit, I should be entitled to some of the profit made. I am wrong about this??

Just wondering???

• Forum MVP

Im sure a well thought-out rebuttal will change your mind. Or maybe we'll have a collective epiphany that a GD cover band is sacrilege and we should all boycott DSO and tell them to shutter the whole thing.

Here's an idea: https://www.vivalazone.org You'll find what you're looking for there - I just know it. By the way - Debbie Koons has a cease and desist order on your handle, mine too.

• Forum MVP

Do these guys pay the Grateful Dead in any way?? They make an incredible amount of money & vacations playing music written and performed by others. I know the guys were adamant about allowing us to take the music and do what we want with it but this seems extreme to me. There seems to be many GD "cover" /"tribute" bands playing decent sized venues and they are just copying another's creativity. Does not take much thought to play another's music, the same way does it??  

Seems to me if someone was using my art, music, creativity for their benefit, I should be entitled to some of the profit made. I am wrong about this??

Just wondering???

1.  You obviously dont play music if you think it doesnt take much thought to play dead and you must not know that DSO does a new setlist and style every show. 

2.  Anyone who understands dead music wouldnt think that its easy and DSO isnt copying the dead.

3.  And if you think they make an incredible amount of money then you also dont understand economics. They play on average to around 1k people or less.

4.  The dead made an incredible amount of money playing other peoples songs.  Since you obviously dont know dead you probably need someone to list the hundreds of covers the dead played.  Do you think playing all those covers was easy?

5.  Since you dont create art that anyone wants to improvise on then why are you so upset about it. 

So no one knows for sure. I understand that playing the music is not what one would consider easy but does it really take much thought. The boys in the band paid for the music they covered PUBLISHED and made money, such as Mama Tried, Promised Land, Big River etc. I have been to over 250 Grateful Dead shows and love the music and people who are associated with the Dead. But not paying the person who wrote the words and music seems a bit lame, regardless. Maybe they could add a few tunes they wrote to their shows and might make it more palatable for us other heads.

• Forum MVP

This is ridiculous. Nobody needs to pay anyone else. If you knew anything about music, especially the music is the dead, you would know that it takes tremendous thought, effort, and creativity do what DSO does. It's all still happening in the moment. And besides, these guys aren't getting rich from this while the boys are doing just fine. It's all about celebration, forget about the perceived debt shit.

• Forum MVP

So no one knows for sure. I understand that playing the music is not what one would consider easy but does it really take much thought. The boys in the band paid for the music they covered PUBLISHED and made money, such as Mama Tried, Promised Land, Big River etc. I have been to over 250 Grateful Dead shows and love the music and people who are associated with the Dead. But not paying the person who wrote the words and music seems a bit lame, regardless. Maybe they could add a few tunes they wrote to their shows and might make it more palatable for us other heads.

The dead did NOT pay the people whos covers they played live.  No band pays others to play their music live.  Do you think Panic with their 1 cover a night pays those bands??  No they dont.  You should really research this before you make yourself look like a hater.

• Forum MVP

You should really research this before you make yourself look like a hater.

Rude - you're the hater. This guy knows DSO drinks from the golden chalice while they zip around in the G9 from kush gig to kush gig. All of this opulence on the backs of noble hippies who were just brilliant poets living out loud. Shame.

• Forum MVP

You should really research this before you make yourself look like a hater.

Rude - you're the hater. This guy knows DSO drinks from the golden chalice while they zip around in the G9 from kush gig to kush gig. All of this opulence on the backs of noble hippies who were just brilliant poets living out loud. Shame.

Youre right.  I heard Dino bought Pablo Escobar's solid gold toilet at auction to make better cat pooping in toilet vids.

• Forum MVP

I love cat vids. Have you seen the one where the cat is dressed up like Aladdin and rides around on a Roomba to "Its a Whole New World?" Genius. It reminds me of DSO in the bus going up the hill to Penn's Peak in icy weather. Piece of cake.

• Forum MVP

Ok.. firstly every venue that has music live or otherwise pays ASCAP and BMI a yearly fee to do so. That money gets distributed to artists all around the world. DSO as was the same with the GD (who played 50% of their material written by others) does not pay to play. When we sell CD's we pay the publishing fees. When the dead played Good Lovin or Morning Dew would you expect them to PAY? The GD were the FIRST cover band ... but you can't cover the GD you just play... improvisation makes up 80% of any jam band at the very least. Anyway hope this helps shed light on the subject... and in the future don't feed the trolls

• Forum MVP

I would be scared to go to sleep, if I made the mistake of trying to dress my cats in costumes. My cats would kick my ass when trying and every time they thought of it.

Chuck being a cat person has been privy to pics of the gf constantly dressing my cats up in costumes.  Needless to say their faces dont look happy.  The new stray is way more pliable and lets her do anything to it without much complaint, but my 10yr old cat isnt having it! My older cat starts doing weird things like walking backwards up a wall to get out of it with no success.

First, I don't think this was a completely unreasonable question to ask, just not well thought out.

If the Dead paid out royalties for playing all the covers they used, Bobby would be foreclosing on his house.

Rolling Stone called DSO "the cover band for people who hate cover bands."  Sounds accurate enough to me.

Cover bands usually don't do the originals justice.  DSO is something else.  There's got to be many times and moments where we all ask ourselves, "Is DSO possibly even better at playing the Dead than the Dead were?"  I know I ask myself that at times.  Definitely more consistent!

That being said, I like to check out that Zeppelin cover band, and believe it or not, the Michael Jackson one.  I mean you really got to be on your game to cover the King of Pop, right?  Heard the Johnny Cash band was good.

• Forum MVP

I've seen Led Zeppelin 2. They are great but they play same show pretty much nightly. I've seen a million Floyd cover bands from they should have never left the garage to they party like Pink Floyd to great. But again it's the same show night after night.

People should look at it this way. Every band is just a cover of themselves. They are covering tunes written in a different time. Just because jimmy page is on guitar doesn't mean the music means any more than with a zep coverband. It's all about the reproduction of the music. Dead and co had 3 original members and seeing that meant less to me than any Dso show.

• Forum MVP

Rude,

I'm going to have to disagree with you and I think you know it's all about music for me. Overly obsessed and should focus on finding other avenues and paths in life that bring me joy. However the musician experience is more than just music for me. It takes me to another world and another place. Dso does this for me most consistently and I think Dso tries to hammer home your point that the music is the most important aspect. And it is. But who dancing next to me matters too at Dso and I do believe Bobby or phils presence matters too.

I think seeing a true Pink Floyd show I know impossible and at this point I'm talking Gilmore and waters even if musically it wasn't there compared to say 70s Floyd I do believe there presence alone. The looks and embraces they shared and the feeling of genuine reverence put forth by the crowd would have an impact on the experience.

I know the stadium sound would have an impact on your experience. That scene would be large.

Some people really like Dead and co. Your experience isn't the same as everyone else's. To some people seeing them is their everything.

I listened to a few of the Dead & Co shows from near the end of the tour and I was surprised how impressed i was, considering how disappointed I was with what I had heard from them previously.  I have a hard time getting over the John Mayer selection because he just doesn't for me, fit the mold of the type of person I'd want representing the Grateful Dead music.  I'll get a chance to catch them at Blossom next summer.

Archived